Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saoirse Ronan Appearance on Saturday Night Live

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

For what it's worth I think the i makes all the difference.

I would always pronounce saor like hare, mare, bear but I'd say Saoirse as Seershe.

Never really thought about it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

She could only work with the material she was given. I thought she did fine. The scripts were sub par. If par is funny.

I thought the news segments were funny, not Daily show funny, but decent.

I would have thought the daily show stopped being funny 2 years ago nó?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Hate to see the begrudgery towards a talented and beautiful young Irish actress who keeps her clothes on. True the Aer Lingus sketch was (to me) confusing. But obviously it is one for the comediscenti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Hate to see the begrudgery towards a talented and beautiful young Irish actress who keeps her clothes on. True the Aer Lingus sketch was (to me) confusing. But obviously it is one for the comediscenti.

Oh stop with the "begrudgery".

It's becoming so hackneyed a response now it's ridiculous. Do you even know it's meaning??

To resent the success of another.

I couldn't care less about her success other than good on her, one of ours dud well.

But the sketch was pathetic

It's becoming so hackneyed a response now it's ridiculous. Do you even know it's meaning??

I couldn't care less about her success other than good on her, one of ours dud well.

No you didn't get it.
    Neither did I.
    But I could hear the audience laughing and when they said the dog had the soul of Oscar Wilde I realised that it was probably just going over my head like Waiting for Godot.

• Advertisement

No you didn't get it.
    Neither did I.
    But I could hear the audience laughing and when they said the dog had the soul of Oscar Wilde I realised that it was probably just going over my head like Waiting for Godot.

I got it alright. I've also seen Godot on stage and got that too.

What did you think about Pozzo's blindness?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,252 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It wasn't funny.

And it certainly wasn't some metaphysical master piece.

But at the end of the day I'm not the target audience so my opinion doesn't matter a feck.

What did you think about Pozzo's blindness?

Could never decide if it was put on or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

She is getting rave reviews for Lady Bird and so there is Oscar buzz.
    She wouldn't exactly be a household name in the US so appearing on SNL is all part of the campaigning I'd imagine.
    Get your face out the nominations are in a few weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Did ANYONE begrudge her success here? No
    Did ANYONE begrudge her talent here? No
    Did ANYONE begrudge her general comic timing/comic talent here? No

As a matter of fact, most people here went out of their way to point out that they were not slagging off Saoirse Ronan herself but the quality of the sketches.

Everyone says that Ireland is a nation of begrudgers. I'm sick and tired of it. This is no more true than ANY country. Everyone says "Oh, not in America. They are always very happy when people do well and nobody is begrudging them their success". Bullsh*t. Try living there away from the tourist spots for a while and see that people are people everywhere. Some applaud people's success, some begrudge it.

It's... the... same... EVERYWHERE!!

But no, people bandy about "Begrudging" like a prejudice slur:

Oh, you are only saying that because she's a woman
    You are only saying that because he's black
    You are only saying that because he's gay
    You are only saying that because she's successful.

Bullsh*t

Also... For someone who wants people not to judge people and to applaud their abilities it seems strange that you highlight her physical attributes. Ronan is a talented and successful actor irregardless of her gender or physical attractiveness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Another bad SNL airline sketch. They basically have a set of an airliner and they seem to feel they have to use it.

They sketch was more offensive to comedy than to Irish people.

That piece was unbelievably badly written and just made no sense. They had one joke that Aer Lingus rhymes with something and that they clearly find Irish accents hilarious.. Otherwise it was a very poor sketch about dogs in an aircraft.

I was like extremely bad improv.

Also do supposedly intelligent American satirists not comprehend that the potato as a mocking term about Irish people is nothing but an ignorant reference to a rather horrific famine in the 19th century.

I don’t really see much difference between that and making jokes about any other nation or ethnic group’s historical tragedies. It wasn’t THAT offensive it was just very ignorant.

If it wasn’t for Trump providing them with own goals and tons of material, it’s a dated, unfunny sketch show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Isn't Waiting for Godot quite infamous in that nobody truly 'gets it', with Beckett essentially fobbing off every interpretation of it put to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The Independent Facebook page was open to comments on an article in which they had admonished Ms Ronan for her appearance on the show.
    A girl who appears to be a very close relative posted to defend Saoirse in the “stop attacking my loved one I’m finding it very upsetting” style.
    Someone calmly told her that if she can’t cope with simple criticism then she needs to avoid social media as opposed to trying to censor the public.
    The Ronan family seem to be quite stung about this which is surprising as I thought her father was in the business and would know that you must take the rough with the smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Billy86 wrote: »
    Isn't Waiting for Godot quite infamous in that nobody truly 'gets it', with Beckett essentially fobbing off every interpretation of it put to him?

there's a major nod to godot in the disaster artist...currently on screens nationwide

Sort of. I just enjoyed it tbh!!!!

But then the person I saw it with was studying and got very intense!!!

Always thought it was about religion myself. Or possibly waiting in for an Argos delivery.

Great advertising for Aer Lingus, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

It's more infamous for the fact that anyone who hasn't seen it or doesn't get it says it's infamous in that nobody truly gets it :D. A bit like Ulysses...

It's more infamous for the fact that anyone who hasn't seen it or doesn't get it says it's infamous in that nobody truly gets it :D. A bit like Ulysses...

I've read Ulysses.

Well, over the years I've started it. A lot.

Got drunk in Leopold Bloom's bar on the Ulysses ferry a few times - does that count ???

flaneur wrote: »
    Another bad SNL airline sketch. They basically have a set of an airliner and they seem to feel they have to use it.

That explains quite alot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I've read Ulysses.

Got drunk in Leopold Bloom's bar on the Ulysses ferry a few times - does that count ???

I do believe that makes you an authority on the subject. There are no perks to this only paperwork.

Rory28 wrote: »
    I've read Ulysses.

I do believe that makes you an authority on the subject. There are no perks to this only paperwork.

FML!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Great advertising for Aer Lingus, though.

Don't know about that. Some Americans are so naive they'll believe that's how Aer Lingus operates and be afraid to fly with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,613 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

valoren wrote: »
    She wouldn't exactly be a household name in the US so appearing on SNL is all part of the campaigning I'd imagine.

Yes I would even say she is best actress Oscar front runner, well done to her, great actress

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

valoren wrote: »

It's not an election. It doesn't matter if the public don't know her (which they do). They don't decide.

I think the only thing that it shows me is that SNL is long, long last its best before date.

The writing was absolutely abysmal and they just rolled out their airlines set. They have used that for weird sketches about Virgin Atlantic launching robotic stewardesses and plenty of others.

SNL hits the odd home run, particularly with political satire but they're as funny as a bad panto sometimes. A lot of their sketches are bad and rely on national stereotypes - see pretty much any sketch they do about any non-american. The whole joke is usually "they have a silly accent". It's pretty bad for 2017.

The sketch made no sense at all and it has nothing to do with anything about the guest or Aer Lingus. It was just "let's put on silly Irish accents and talk about potatoes".

It's no reflection on Saoirse. SNL just wasted an opportunity with someone who is a great guest.

Saoirse Ronan is a serious actress. She's not a standup comedian and I think to be honest, I think they treated her quite poorly.

Do they bring on French actresses and hand them a berret and a baguette and have a load of people doing silly French accents ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Probably depends which area of the country you're taking the pronunciation from, seeing as there can be big differences in pronunciation between the different provinces.

Like Saorview - I'd pronounce that SEER-view. And I've never heard anyone pronounce it 'SAYR-view actually. Saor was always pronounced SEER in my schools. I'm from the West of Ireland.

In any of the adverts for it, it is pronounced Sayr-view. You're pronouncing it wrong.

Anyone trying to pronounce something that is not written in the language they're speaking will have problems with "proximate phoneme substitution" - your brain has a stock of basic sounds called phonemes that make up your language (English typically has between 40 and up to 46 depending on which version you're talking about).

After a certain age, most of us stop hearing the ones that are not in our particular library and we will automatically swap the nearest one we know to one that we hear.

Standard American English typically has more simplification of sounds (and fewer phonemes) and they struggle a quite badly more with unusual phonemes.

Hiberno-English has fairly standard, but still quite unique phonetics and also throws in quite a bit of borrowed phonetics for Irish words. So, a name like Saoirse poses no problems here, but it will cause Americans to be really confused. They either don't hear the sound as different, or they hear it but cannot process and return the same sound (unless they've a very good ear / mimicking / language ability)

However, that being said, people can learn these things and get on with it. I mean, we all somehow survive being unable to correctly pronounce Peugeot, Citroën, Croissant, Mercedes, etc etc. as per their correct original pronunciations.

Peugeot for example is often pronounced with a strange intrusive R in England because they 'hear' an "R" between the "Peu" and "geo" sounds in French which is not there.

So you get : Peu-jo in Ireland and "Pehr-jo" in England neither of which is quite right and I would actually argue (as a French speaker) the Irish one is often closer.

In England, you're likely to get something like "Sehhh - sha" or ever "Sehhh -sheR" as they have an intrusive R that pops in where vowels stop and don't fit their phonetic system. "Brenda" comes out as as "Brendar" etc etc.

I think we should just get over the fact that Americans probably can't pronounce Saoirse because their brains simply don't have the correct software and they don't like trying too hard.

And we can't get too uppidy about it either, Irish people cannot pronounce Chicago !

It's "Chic-ago" not "Chick -Car - Go"

In general though, I find where people find accents that they're unfamiliar with 'utterly hilarious', they're just ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

flaneur wrote: »
    Hiberno-English has fairly standard, but still quite unique phonetics and also throws in quite a bit of borrowed phonetics for Irish words. So, a name like Saoirse poses no problems here...
    Good post, flaneur, but I would quibble about this part. It seems to me that our Hiberno-English set of phonics has been changing through my lifetime, and is we are less good at approximating Gaelic phonemes than we were in the past.

"SEER-shah" is a near-miss of the best pronunciation of the Gaelic word, because the effect of the "ao" has been jettisoned. It might be represented by "SaEER-shah"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really disagree with this.

It was just not funny and it was baffling.

It was disappointing that they would use old stereotypes and resort to potato and accent jokes.

This does not mean I was offended. Just wish Americans would stop portraying the Darby O'Gill image of Ireland and modernise. Plenty of stuff to take the p1ss out of in Ireland weather it's our weather, Northern Ireland issues, politics, economic management, drinking (which is almost true and deserves to be ridiculed).

People are also surprised that an Irish celebrity would take part in this.

Your Donald Trump comparison is poor as he was the subject of the jokes so had a very personal impact on him.

Most of those have absolutely no resonance in America, they might get a laugh on a German chat show at a push but those stereotypes mean nothing to Americans.

Basically all Irish jokes in America revolve around the fact we are pale red haired Northern white Europeans who are Catholic. I don't think I've ever seen any funny skit about Ireland on British or American TV. Conan's trip to Ireland was kinda funny.

Advertisement