Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringeworthy irish traditions that won't just die

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Fact, all Dubs have bleedin arses, can you explain how your arses bleed so much?

I've got Crohn's disease

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

The only cringy thing I have noticed that is really unique to Ireland is on Social Media with those articles 'the internet is loving Ireland', and also the old 'everyone loves the irish', adage. TBH the Euros was a full on cringe fest. Imagine a German or a Brit or a Croat saying that everyone loves them, it would be bizarre.

Rugby and its place in the media is really cringeworthy too

• Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Everyone loves Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Everyone loves Iceland.

I'd never shop there myself.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Leaving your dog wandering off to their own devices wandering in front of cars or attacking people and doing nothing about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

'I'm from Ireland, but more importantly I'm from [insert county]'.
    Who cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

People seem to think it's fine to walk their dogs with no leads. My dog is nervous around other dogs and loses it when he sees one walking around on it's own. Are they they too cheap to buy one?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Letting your dog shyte anywhere.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Letting your dog shyte anywhere.

or their child

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The waster of a son returns from Australia, a spy camera or obliging sibling is present, the Mammy enters the room and would you believe what happens next.....

I’ve seen too many of these cringy videos as the Irish mammy screams the neighborhood down with joy and it is uploaded to Facebook and then journal.ie steal it and pass it off as news

• Advertisement

If a guest on a chat show is visiting Ireland for whatever reason the questions are always, "what is it about Ireland that you love so much?"

The insecurity is huge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

People dumping their young children on their own parents as unpaid babysitters. And it's not just "skangers" or people on social welfare. Its prevalent across all social classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Parents not letting their adult children's sexual partners sleep with them when staying in their house as they're not married.

They really think this stops them having sex and maintains the catholic affirmation that sex is wrong and dirty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

murpho999 wrote: »
    Parents not letting their adult children's sexual partners sleep with them when staying in their house as they're not married.

They really think this stops them having sex and maintains the catholic affirmation that sex is wrong and dirty.

My parents never had a problem with it but it’s the same in other catholic countries, I stayed in Chile for a while and none of the guys there had their gfs stay over or lived with their gfs until married. They have these love hotels where you rent rooms for an hour to get your freak on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

My parents never had a problem with it but it’s the same in other catholic countries, I stayed in Chile for a while and none of the guys there had their gfs stay over or lived with their gfs until married. They have these love hotels where you rent rooms for an hour to get your freak on.

Exactly my point, it doesn't prevent what they are so afraid of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Riding your cousin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The amount of "bless him/her", "oh bless" "god bless" bless bless bless used in average conversations. I don't know how many times my baby was blessed. Please don't bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,950 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Leaving your dog wandering off to their own devices wandering in front of cars or attacking people and doing nothing about it.

Letting your dog wander and sh1t all over the place.

The streets in many a town and city aren't paved with gold, they're plastered in dog sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

the good room? Wtf does that mean? Being from Dublin, maybe these are culchie things or something.

I'll translate.

The "good room" is "De Parlour". The front room with all the good china and figurines in glass cabinets that inner city Dublin Ma's had (even though the was absolutely no room for it). When you had visitors they'd be accepted in de parlour with tea a window cake. (battenberg)

You see, we're not that different. ;)
    Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Fact, all Dubs have bleedin arses, can you explain how your arses bleed so much?

It's bleed'n howal, not "bleeding arse". Example;

Q - "Grab that funny looking fence that buzzes slightly"

A - "I will in be bleed'n howal"

Irish people saying "awesome sauce" or Irish people dabbing. They should be hung.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

Hip hip!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Local authority flats and houses all over Dublin has the same cheap plaster statue

If the aim was to stand out and add a touch of class then it’s not working as all your neighbors are doing the same! All over Dublin, a good example are the local authority buildings as you get the Luas near St James’ Hospital

If it was religious you could explain it but it’s not.

?width=630&version=1633120

Nothing wrong with some bling and decoration but when twenty of your neighbours have the same :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Local authority flats and houses all over Dublin has the same cheap plaster statue

If the aim was to stand out and add a touch of class then it’s not working as all your neighbors are doing the same! All over Dublin, a good example are the local authority buildings as you get the Luas near St James’ Hospital

If it was religious you could explain it but it’s not.

?width=630&version=1633120

Nothing wrong with some bling and decoration but when twenty of your neighbours have the same :confused:

http://www.totallydublin.ie/more/lady-on-the-rock-tracing-the-phenomenon-of-dublins-own-venus-de-milo/

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

People clapping at the end of a performance.

People thanking shop assistants and bar staff.

People singing sean-nós in a Nashville accent.

People saying "excuse me" if they bump into someone.

Country people who speak with a country accent.

People who call the "Room" the Parlour / call the parlour the sitting room / call the sitting room the drawing room / call the drawing room the lounge / etc.

I'm easily cringed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Can't stand Pat Shortt but the theme music for that show is a classic instrumental from Frank Zappa.

Irish people saying "awesome sauce" or Irish people dabbing. They should be hung.

Never heard "awesome sauce"

What on earth is "dabbing" ???

darkdubh wrote: »
    People dumping their young children on their own parents as unpaid babysitters. And it's not just "skangers" or people on social welfare. Its prevalent across all social classes.

It's common for people in all cultures to help care for grandchildren. Paid babysitters is a relatively recent custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Míshásta wrote: »
    People clapping at the end of a performance.

People thanking shop assistants and bar staff.

People singing sean-nós in a Nashville accent.

People saying "excuse me" if they bump into someone.

Country people who speak with a country accent.

People who call the "Room" the Parlour / call the parlour the sitting room / call the sitting room the drawing room / call the drawing room the lounge / etc.

I'm easily cringed.

What is the etc. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Míshásta wrote: »
    People thanking shop assistants and bar staff

I don't think manners are exclusively and traditionally Irish. Certainly not cringeworthy.

• Advertisement

1. Irish singers singing Country songs in an American accent. Makes me laugh.

Country songs or pop-songs or rock songs. Haven't you noticed we nearly always sing with an affected drawl. You even hear Irish folk songs being sung in trans-Atlantic tones. :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement