Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringeworthy irish traditions that won't just die

Options

Comments

wrote:
    This is something I love about the Irish people.

We refuse to acknowledge corporate naming rights.

The Aviva Stadium is still Lansdowne Road.

This trite bollocksology again. There are many of us who are aware enough to know that Lord Lansdowne, after whom Lansdowne (and Shelbourne) Road is named, was one of Ireland's wealthiest landlords of the 18th/19th century and as such was wealthier than many corporations. He was a wealthy corporation of his day, with a big heavy British Protestant Ascendancy colonial foot on the native Irish.

Despite the lamentably historically illiterate D4 shítehawks who get emotional about Aviva replacing Lansdowne in the name, I fail to see how commemorating that individual in the name of a stadium is somehow less crass/more sophisticated than commemorating a modern-day corporation in the stadium's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

EPAndlee wrote: »
    My mother always says goodbye to the person presenting the weather. Also lighting the fire but opening the windows to 'let the air in' then complain the house is freezing

I don't think many people do that in ireland..or anywhere..and its definitely not a 'tradition' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SassyP

Clapping when the plane lands.

I love doing this to annoy the hubby 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The clapping thing isn't an Irish thing, I was on a plane full of Germans and most of them clapped, most times I was on a flight full of Irish..only a handful ever clapped and lots of times no one ever clapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Voting either FG/FF in every election and then ringing Joe Duffy complaining when the country is run badly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

This trite bollocksology again. There are many of us who are aware enough to know that Lord Lansdowne, after whom Lansdowne (and Shelbourne) Road is named, was one of Ireland's wealthiest landlords of the 18th/19th century and as such was wealthier than many corporations. He was a wealthy corporation of his day, with a big heavy British Protestant Ascendancy colonial foot on the native Irish.

Despite the lamentably historically illiterate D4 shítehawks who get emotional about Aviva replacing Lansdowne in the name, I fail to see how commemorating that individual in the name of a stadium is somehow less crass/more sophisticated than commemorating a modern-day corporation in the stadium's name.

But he's dead now so we won.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Giving a roar before the end of the national anthem at the start of Munster all Ireland semi and All Ireland final GAA matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Everything viewed through one lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

gozunda wrote: »
    Or worse still oh "Mummy"

Aaarrghh....

Or in the case of the male parent 'daddy'.

Worse is when couples refer to each as 'mammy' & ' daddy'

• Advertisement

Herding cattle on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 81,543 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Referring to the overtaking lane of the motorway as the fascccchhhhhhtttttttt lane, even the bloody idiotic muppets in AA Roadwatch refer to it as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

branie2 wrote: »

Ah the auld culchie rodeo complete with rural type driving a quad with a dog on the back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Myers was educated in the UK, nothing fake there. In fact a posh English accent was common in Ireland for generations.

Hes still a jumped up prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Referring to the overtaking lane of the motorway as the fascccchhhhhhtttttttt lane, even the bloody idiotic muppets in AA Roadwatch refer to it as that.

Living life in the overtaking lane just doesn't ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

They've a;;probably been said before but couldn't be arsed reading the whole thread to find out:

1. Shouting/Singing 'IRA' during the chorus of Fields of Athenry.

2. Singing 'Who the fúck is Alice' every single fúcking time the song is played.

3. The audience on the Late Late clapping like spasticated sea-lions every time there is a hint of a song or music on the show.

4. Wearing GAA jerseys on holidays.

5. Singing Ole Ole Ole at every single fúcking event where theres an irish person involved. It used to be reserved for football matches but now it doesn't make any difference, if there are irish people in the audience then you can be guarantee'd it'll be sung. Its absolutely the most cringeworthy thing ever and an absolute national embarrassment.

I'm easy enough on the GAA jerseys.

The rest are 100% spot on.

I love Ole Ole. At football matches. At other sports events, at a stretch.

I was at a gig a while back when it started a split second before the intro to a song. The band laughed a restarted, but it kept going. It ruined the flow of the gig, you could see the band were getting fed up. What are they going to do? Stand around, wait for it to finish? Sing along to the cheesiest nonsense in the world? Not come to Ireland again?

Awful nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Cringing at Irish traditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Football fans cheering (well not this week!) about the green, white & gold

Are yez colour blind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Bringing every celebrity/offials person visiting the country to that Guinness place for a pint of Guinness

Lame as fcuk

Yea, literally happens nowhere else.

3pvn3441-005.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,165 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Because in every other country of the world they have dedicated cattleways for this purpose. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I always understood that it was originally "God Bless You", meant as a protection against the pneumonic plague, which was passed by sneezing.

I say "Bless You" whenever anyone sneezes. I'm atheist but it's just a habit I must have picked up from my parents. It must work though, as no-one I know has died of the plague :D

An Irish woman living in that States warned me that they were all godless heathens because they said "bless you" instead of "God bless".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

siblers wrote: »
    The clapping thing isn't an Irish thing, I was on a plane full of Germans and most of them clapped, most times I was on a flight full of Irish..only a handful ever clapped and lots of times no one ever clapped.

I was reading a thread on Reddit last week where a German guy listed this as something cringeworthy that only Germans do. Some Minnesotan was astonished that people outside the twin cities engaged in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,872 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

TBF that's getting rarer here, any farmer than can manage it builds an internal roadway so they don't have cattle on the roads anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Liking something because it's Irish, not because it's good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

milehip wrote: »
    Ah the auld culchie rodeo complete with rural type driving a quad with a dog on the back.

This is cringworthy how exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The Late Late Show

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

GAA players not bothering to finish out the anthem, must show how pumped they are!

Ireland's Call.

Repeatedly voting for "ah sure he fixed the roads" politicians.

Sweet "I don't belive it, you're making it up ya bítch" Caroline.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Besides all of that - I'm not sure how much merit his claim has anyway. I think the 'Aviva' has well and truly found its way into the modern Irish lexicon... As far as I can see the vast majority of people referencing the stadium call in 'the Aviva'..

I'd very rarely hear it referred to as Lansdowne

Pat Kenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The repeated election of Michael Lowry. The most Irish thing ever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement