Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringeworthy irish traditions that won't just die

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Who says this happens? I knew both my Granddad's but I've no idea who they voted for and my parents seem to vary election to election. Is it a culchie thing?
    Am I the only person who doesn't know what an immersion is? It seems most Irish stand ups base their acts on whatever it is.
    Also - the good room? Wtf does that mean? Being from Dublin, maybe these are culchie things or something.
    Must be a culchie thing because none of my friends or relatives had anything called a good room. God I'm so glad I'm from Dublin.

Culchie, culchie, culchie... do you ever give it a rest, it's about as funny as a hole in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Some Dublin houses must have immersions. There are companies in Dublin which repair them. If Des Bishop is most Irish stand ups you may have a point.

http://www.immersion-heater.ie/

RTE can educate you on the subject of the good room.

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/the-good-room-30004826/10771886/

Must be a culchie thing because none of my friends or relatives had anything called a good room. God I'm so glad I'm from Dublin.
    Being from Dublin you obviously live in a two room Corporation flat with three generations of your family, plus you need the second room to keep the piebald pony.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Being from Dublin you obviously live in a two room Corporation flat with three generations of your family, plus you need the second room to keep the piebald pony.

The other room is for the giant tv that you need to be in a flat 3 blocks away to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭bennyineire

People from Dublin slagging hating in "culchies" even though practically everyone from Dublin has a parent for "the country" or at the very least a Granny

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭anewme

"Hey baby let the free birds fly"

Must be said in a monotone robotic voice.

Fck off you tool.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

You're close, it's a 2 room corpo gaf, but I live on my own.

You're close, it's a 2 room corpo gaf, but I live on my own.
    How many piebalds do you stable in the second room?

Am I the only person who doesn't know what an immersion is? It seems most Irish stand ups base their acts on whatever it is.
    Also - the good room? Wtf does that mean? Being from Dublin, maybe these are culchie things or something.

Being from Dublin, you'd get a belt of a tea towel around the back of the legs if you left the immersion on.

Stick on the immersion and watch the red yoke fly around in the electricity box.

Everyone was terrified of leaving the immersion on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

None, it's too full of bitterness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Wtf is a piebald?

• Advertisement

Wtf is a piebald?

First you don't know what the immersion is, then you don't know what a piebald ( we called them pie ball) is, are you sure you're a Dub? :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Clapping when the plane lands.

Funnily enough, a video went viral here recently claiming that only Colombians do this.

Wtf is a piebald?
    This magnificant specimen is a piebald pony. He's yours for €3000.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0cSdBs8D5dJVnyBvjaZ4rh4FuiJPcj7le3NjH5-_2M-uTU7Wl

(Sush! He's a Dub, it's money in the bank.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It doesn't really bother my family

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Lads abroad hanging irish flags from their balconies. No one cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Bye bye bye bye Bye bye bye bye Bye bye bye bye Bye bye bye bye Bye bye bye bye to end a telephone call

I don’t think it’s cringeworthy though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Bye bye bye bye Bye bye bye bye Bye bye bye bye Bye bye bye bye Bye bye bye bye to end a telephone call

I don’t think it’s cringeworthy though :)

Yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Yes it is.

Why is it? As an Irish person living abroad for many years I revel in the multiple byes when I get the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Andrewf20 wrote: »

Just letting everyone know where the epicentre of craic is.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Why is it? As an Irish person living abroad for many years I revel in the multiple byes when I get the chance

It's irritating when you encounter someone who's incapable of ending a conversation. All the byes usually come after 5 or 6 ambiguous statements which may have been an attempt to say goodbye with our actually using the words.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Andrewf20 wrote: »

I’d associate this behaviour more with the Brits (although they hang Union Jacks / George’s crosses instead of Irish flags obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

looksee wrote: »
    Maybe more putting it under a hedge than throwing it in the ditch, but however, I can vouch that this works. When my son (Catholic-ish) and his fiancee (just about CofI) were getting married someone loaned us a Child of Prague I (lapsed Methodist and now atheist) was entertained by this idea so I put it out.

They got one lovely sunny August day, with wet and miserable weather before the day, and more rain after it! So evidently you don't need the prayer!
    It was summer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Irish civilians that make a video and then get invited onto the Ellen show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

anewme wrote: »
    First you don't know what the immersion is, then you don't know what a piebald ( we called them pie ball) is, are you sure you're a Dub? :pac::pac:
    Do they expect every flight their on will crash? Otherwise it's pointless clapping when they land safely.

Fact, all Dubs have bleedin arses, can you explain how your arses bleed so much?

TBF that's getting rarer here, any farmer than can manage it builds an internal roadway so they don't have cattle on the roads anymore.
    They are called underpasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    They are called underpasses.

Udderpasses, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Sitting the priest at the top table of your wedding / inviting the priest at all unless you're from a small village and you actually know him well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

PLL wrote: »
    Sitting the priest at the top table of your wedding / inviting the priest at all unless you're from a small village and you actually know him well.

That'll die off pretty suddenly in around ten years' time when the only priests still around are from Nigeria or somewhere.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement