Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringeworthy irish traditions that won't just die

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I don't think manners are exclusively and traditionally Irish. Certainly not cringeworthy.

I fully agree. However -

My original quote: "People thanking shop assistants and bar staff."

Aaaahhmm! That actually wasn't meant to be taken seriously. :(
    I was just having a go at posters who seemed upset at bus-drivers being offered thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

My original post: "People who call the "Room" the Parlour / call the parlour the sitting room / call the sitting room the drawing room / call the drawing room the lounge / etc."

What is the etc. ?

"People who call the lounge; the reception room" etc.

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Míshásta wrote: »
    People clapping at the end of a performance.

People thanking shop assistants and bar staff.

People singing sean-nós in a Nashville accent.

People saying "excuse me" if they bump into someone.

Country people who speak with a country accent.

People who call the "Room" the Parlour / call the parlour the sitting room / call the sitting room the drawing room / call the drawing room the lounge / etc.

I'm easily cringed.

You certainly find the world a terrifying place. You also seem to cringe at stuff that many cultures do, are confused about accents, and may probably be getting the name of the rooms wrong yourself. And Christ how many rooms do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steve-collins

Being proud to be Irish or saying things like sure we Irish are great craic . It's all an accident your Irish you had no influence in that process . Sad bastards

Also Irish people using the word banter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I was thinking more of the cringey dance that mostly gimps do...

e.g

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FadaCraic

Also Irish people using the word banter.

Couldn’t agree more!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

FadaCraic wrote: »
    Couldn’t agree more!

Or informally;

Da bantz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Or dabbed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Millenials saying "random" where I'd say "profound"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I'll translate.

The "good room" is "De Parlour". The front room with all the good china and figurines in glass cabinets that inner city Dublin Ma's had (even though the was absolutely no room for it). When you had visitors they'd be accepted in de parlour with tea a window cake. (battenberg)

You see, we're not that different. ;)

It's bleed'n howal, not "bleeding arse". Example;

Q - "Grab that funny looking fence that buzzes slightly"

A - "I will in be bleed'n howal"

Nope. My mas from north inner city still no good room or parlour.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,872 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Hundreds die in *insert natural/manmade disaster*, no Irish people are believed to be involved."

Oh that's grand so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Wedding singsongs. Was at a wedding on Saturday night and the singsong directly after the disco cleared the room. It completely killed the party atmosphere. Such maudlin shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

"Hundreds die in *insert natural/manmade disaster*, no Irish people are believed to be involved."

Oh that's grand so...

I had the same attitude towards that until I realized that this is stated because there could be Irish people travelling/living abroad and relatives or friends are looking for them, worried if they are alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Adults calling their parents Mammy and Daddy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Wedding singsongs. Was at a wedding on Saturday night and the singsong directly after the disco cleared the room. It completely killed the party atmosphere. Such maudlin shite.

Despise the singsong. It kills the atmosphere as everyone has to be deathly quiet while Mick mumbles his way through some crap song. Instant party killer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Interrupting someone telling a joke or anecdote to give away the ending or changing the subject to tell a different story of their own. I'm sure this is probably universal but so many Irish people do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Crea wrote: »

I am from the American South. I couldn't bring myself to call any person twelve or more years older than me by their first name. I tried to figure out something to call my mother-in-law, who's from Country Tyrone.

My Scottish boss suggested "Mum". She wasn't having it. She added, "and don't call me 'Mom' either; you sound like the American TV, 'Mom, mom, mom'". OK, fine. I went to learn Irish this summer, this being Ireland and all and me being an immigrant. "What's the word you call your mother in Donegal?", I wondered. We learned a song that had the word mamaí in it, translated "mother dear". I tried that on my next visit. "I'm not your mamaí, you bloody Yank. Call me by my name." But I can't.

I get on great with my mother-in-law, but we do have these little culture-shock moments :) If you're looking for me to add a cringeworthy Irish tradition, I will add only the phrase, "but they only say it this way in Donegal".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Speedwell wrote: »
    I am from the American South. I couldn't bring myself to call any person twelve or more years older than me by their first name. I tried to figure out something to call my mother-in-law, who's from Country Tyrone.

My Scottish boss suggested "Mum". She wasn't having it. She added, "and don't call me 'Mom' either; you sound like the American TV, 'Mom, mom, mom'". OK, fine. I went to learn Irish this summer, this being Ireland and all and me being an immigrant. "What's the word you call your mother in Donegal?", I wondered. We learned a song that had the word mamaí in it, translated "mother dear". I tried that on my next visit. "I'm not your mamaí, you bloody Yank. Call me by my name." But I can't.

I get on great with my mother-in-law, but we do have these little culture-shock moments :) If you're looking for me to add a cringeworthy Irish tradition, I will add only the phrase, "but they only say it this way in Donegal".

Good jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Despise the singsong. It kills the atmosphere as everyone has to be deathly quiet while Mick mumbles his way through some crap song. Instant party killer.

It can be done well but its a very fine balance. Generally its 3 or 4 songs before either someone tries to begin a game of "one up manship" and comes back in with another song, or you get the "shhh shhhhh shhhh Grandad wants to sing his 36 verse song".

There's almost always someone else who just shouts a "she loves this song" which will often just send people off to bed, which it has done at the last two weddings I've been at.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Crea wrote: »
    An equivalent of that occurs across the world and has for centuries. There's nothing odd or Irish about calling your parents Mam or Dad instead of by their names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Going on the pi55 as a night out. Imagine paying 100e for something in a shop, and the shop keeper telling you it'll make you puke your guts up, wipe out the day after, give you a blinding headache, and you may pi55 your pants too, or get into a fight. You'd say no wouldn't you?

12 pubs. Is that an Irish thing though?

To be fair, if it wasn't for self-appointed busybodies in Irish towns and villages, the country would be end-to-end with dumped black rubbish bags.

seachto7 wrote: »

Imported from the States, but not surprisingly caught on here as all life revolves around drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Oh that's grand so...

You see it in sports reporting too. "The US Open ended today in a thrilling climax with Pairic Harrington sharing 89th place"

Nothing about who won the damn event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Thinking when we go abroad everyone loves the Irish. They don't.

Self congratulating ourselves on everything whether it be football fans or "craic". Self congratulations is moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,239 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

seachto7 wrote: »
    Going on the pi55 as a night out. Imagine paying 100e for something in a shop, and the shop keeper telling you it'll make you puke your guts up, wipe out the day after, give you a blinding headache, and you may pi55 your pants too, or get into a fight. You'd say no wouldn't you?

if all the things in bold happen to you during a piss-up then perhaps alcohol is not for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭chatticusfinch

Internalised begrudgery

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement