Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

Next stop gentrification as Luas reaches Cabra and Phibsborough

"When the first silver Luas trams begin trundling through Cabra and Phibsborough this week, homeowners and auctioneers will be waiting to see what happens to real estate prices.
    “We think we will get a bigger jump [in values] when the tram is actually moving with St Stephen’s Green written on it,” explains DNG auctioneer Vinnie Mullen of a phenomenon that seeks visual proof of infrastructure before value translates to bricks and mortar."

There is more...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Yeah, I skipped past that article. Of more interest to me was the piece on the inevitable parking snarl-ups we'll see in Cabra.

Yeah, I skipped past that article. Of more interest to me was the piece on the inevitable parking snarl-ups we'll see in Cabra.

This one.

I wonder what they will for the roads around our estate, will they be double yellow? Some are only wide enough for one car, two at a push.

I would imagine most of the commuter parking for Broombridge would be done in the industrial estate. And whilst it would be inconvenient having commuters parking in RCP it would at least increase pedestrian traffic along the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Standard practice, build services but put parking last, and charge for it.
    Luas users need parking, new rail station commuter will need parking, Aldi shoppers and eventually new housing development will all need parking. The area is going to get very busy and congested, and no sign of anything to help relieve it, outside of the standard response of charging people with pay By Text with clamping. Basically a big "F**k you residents, you purchased here, now you cant have guests as we charge for anything and it will all be used by commuters anyway".

All we can do is look out for our immediate area. Make sure to attend the Management Company AGM next week and ensure any concerns are raised.

My preference overall would be to widen the river road, its a main link between the M50 & the city (via rathoath road & finglas road). its unsafe for the volume of traffic it gets .As a bonus, block off the bottom of bridge avenue, make it a no through road! Dont think il ever win that argument though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    My preference overall would be to widen the river road, its a main link between the M50 & the city (via rathoath road & finglas road). its unsafe for the volume of traffic it gets .As a bonus, block off the bottom of bridge avenue, make it a no through road! Dont think il ever win that argument though!

+1 for all of this

The solution would include multiple roads that feed into the rive road from the new housing estates so there is not only one location to get out of the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Make sure to attend the Management Company AGM next week and ensure any concerns are raised.

We did not go last year, i can't remember getting a letter on it, but surely one arrived through the post box last year.

Just a few questions on the AGM:
    - Does feedback actually get listened to and acted on?

We have concerns too about infastructure such as visitor parking, services nearby (schools etc), broadband deteriorating since last year, Virgin media availability and so on.

Im not sure its possible to widen the river road. Its dangerous to cycle on for sure. An exit from royal canal directly onto the River road might relieve some traffic.
    I think the pole barriers placed around the development and one way traffic have done a good job of making sure there is not too much traffic in the estate.

Chumpski wrote: »
    We did not go last year, i can't remember getting a letter on it, but surely one arrived through the post box last year.

the security guard delivers them by hand AFAIK. thats how we got ours.
    Just a few questions on the AGM:
    - Does feedback actually get listened to and acted on?

If you pay your fees, you have a say.
    Im unsure if the AGM is where new items are raised, but its worth going to see how your eatate is run, and if the AGM isnt the forum for raising requests, then ask what the procedure is.

We have concerns too about infastructure such as visitor parking, services nearby (schools etc), broadband deteriorating since last year, Virgin media availability and so on.
    Make sure your present and have your voice heard.
    Im not sure its possible to widen the river road. Its dangerous to cycle on for sure. An exit from royal canal directly onto the River road might relieve some traffic.
    I dont know how to raise the request or who can say, certainly not me, but something needs to be done, either widen it or close it/make it no through as it carries too much traffic and its only going to get busier. Either make it fit for purpose or remove it before it becomes a big problem.

Im sure its possible, if the will is there.

I think the pole barriers placed around the development and one way traffic have done a good job of making sure there is not too much traffic in the estate.
    The estate is simply used as a through road for traffic right now and its pretty busy during peak times such as just before and after work. Corner at bridge avenue and spindrift avenue is a nightmare, and cars often come around there at a fair pace.

This will only get worse with new estates, of which there will be at lest 2, luas, new train stop, aldi and associated shops.

A wide river road would take a lot of this traffic that is passing through the estate to the M50 & navan road.

Part 2 of the Local Area Plan:

There is lots of useful information in there.

Key elements to deliver the strategy
    The following transport infrastructure projects are seen as key to the longer
    term success of the area and its effective integration into the wider urban
    fabric.
    The delivery of a second train station on the eastern end of the plan
    area ; Notwithstanding the current hiatus in building and development,
    the sustainable development of the eastern end of the plan area will
    benefit significantly from the opening of a second station. Whilst still
    at permission stage the eventual station will include a pedestrian/cycle
    bridge over the rail line and canal connecting to residential areas at
    Ashington. In order to ensure sustainable and efficient use of land in
    the vicinity of the station, no ‘park and ride’ facility shall be provided
    but high quality cycle parking will be sought.
     The upgrading/improvement of River Road. River Road currently
    takes significant traffic volumes and a high proportion of through traffic
    in addition to traffic using the road to access properties in the plan
    area. The physical alignment is in need of improvement and significant
    works are necessary both to bring the road to modern standard and to
    manage traffic generally. Also, given the proposed opening of a series
    of public access points to the new section of Tolka Valley Park, it is
    important to ensure safe public access across River Road at selected
    crossing points.
    Achieving this will require steps to slow down current speeds of vehicles,
    improvements to visibility, and clearly marked crossing points. The
    current arrangement at the road does not provide for pedestrians and
    cyclists, and for a large section is rural in character lacking the width of
    carriageway to provide for a footpath or cycle lane. The condition and
    form of the road, in combination with the current use of the road by
    traffic as a through route, and the need to provide for safe pedestrian
    and cycle connections, mean that the current arrangements for this
    road cannot remain.
    The Council will therefore pursue two possible solutions during the lifetime
    of the LAP.
    Solution 1. Seek funding for a full upgrade of River Road from Ashtown to
    Ratoath Road, to provide 2-way traffic with pedestrian and cycle provision.
    Solution 2. Where funding cannot be provided, the role of River Road shall
    be downgraded to cater for local traffic only. As part of this it is proposed to
    divide the road into a two-way section at the western end, and a one-way
    section on the remainder, using available carriageway widths to provide for
    pedestrians and cyclists on the road and for crossing points to the park.
    Also, because of the need to resolve safety concerns at the bend of River
    Road adjoining the entrance to Pelletstown Manor, traffic calming measures
    are currently being drawn up for implementation.

And from the Appropriate Assessment:

MAO1 To implement an improvement scheme for River
    Road by 2017 in accordance with objective SI038 of the
    Dublin City Development Plan 2011‐17
    that provides for
    (i) safe movement of traffic, (ii) pedestrian routes along
    and across the road, and (iii) cycle connections. The
    eventual design will incorporate a two‐way section
    on the western (Ashtown) side, and a one‐way eastbound section on the remainder, connecting with
    Ratoath Road. This design shall be the subject of
    detailed study. Interim road safety measures will also be
    carried out.

MAO2 In association with MAO1, to deliver a series of
    visible and safe pedestrian/cycle crossing points across
    River Road to interconnect key routes with access gates
    to Tolka Valley Park.

MAO3 To facilitate the delivery of a second train station
    close to Ratoath Road, incorporating a pedestrian and
    cycle bridge over the canal and rail line.

Anyone request the air tightness results for their house?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 elTenedor

Anyone request the air tightness results for their house?

Who would you request this from?

• Advertisement

elTenedor wrote: »
    Who would you request this from?

That was going to be my next question! I assume the developer should have it but wanted to check first.
    I dont know if they even check all the houses when building en-masse

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rns

That was going to be my next question! I assume the developer should have it but wanted to check first.
    I dont know if they even check all the houses when building en-masse
    I got a BER cert for my house from Tom in the site office.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mikehene

Hi guys,

I bought a property in your neighbouring Rathborne Park development and I was wondering if anyone who has been through something similar could provide some advice.

There is a great deal of conversation on the thread relating to our development about the contracts we recently received from Castlethorn (I know yours was Ballymore). Basically the plans provided in the first contract are very vague and provide no details of exact size, despite the original planning permission provided to the council having these. Some people are refusing to sign under principle while others are taking the view that the builders can't provide exact details as things can change for various reasons and they will attempt to meet the details provided in the planning permission as much as possible.

So my question to you guys is. Did you have exact size and dimensions provided in your contracts?

Also they have allowed only 5 days from completion to get the valuation and money drawn down, which seems unrealistic. How long were you afforded.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

mikehene wrote: »
    So my question to you guys is. Did you have exact size and dimensions provided in your contracts?
    Nope. We got the exact dimensions by measuring the rooms when we got the keys. However, it's important to note that we only dealt with the realtor (Sherry Fitz, in our case) prior to signing the contract, and they heavily discouraged any communication with Ballymore. An advice, which, to my regret, I followed.

Still, there were two ways to get dimensions, and we availed of both of them:

* By measuring the rooms of the show house. And every time we went there, we found at least one other new owner doing the same.
    * By asking the on-site administrator for Ballymore for the plans. That we got the plans appears to be more of a personal decision of the administrator than the company policy.
    mikehene wrote: »
    Also they have allowed only 5 days from completion to get the valuation and money drawn down, which seems unrealistic. How long were you afforded.
    I think for us it was 21 days from receiving the contract, including proof of financing. Even if the number was a bit different, Ballymore was flexible enough to let a few days slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The plans and spec were for practical purposes non existent in the contract. The spec was a photocopy of the back of tbe brochure. We asked for a specific reference to the planning application to be included in the contract.

I actually can't remember if they said yes or no to that but I felt reassured even by the existence of the planning app.

I think, but it's a guess, we had two weeks to close after completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mikehene

ok, so it seems to be standard across all new builds. I thought that might be the case so thought i'd check with others who have recently been through it all.

Thanks to you both for your swift responses!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 IrishGirl12

Does anyone have any recommendations for frosting on the window next to the hall door?

Does anyone have any recommendations for frosting on the window next to the hall door?

If anyone has this info please let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Keithchap wrote: »
    P.S. the heating doesn't need to be off when doing this.
    Yep but the pressure increases when the heating is operating so are you meant to reach that pressure when operating or when idle?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nhol78

Has anyone had the bathroom lights go on them after less than 6 months, Does anyone know how to take the cover off, I have tried and it will not budge, I do not want to break it by applying too much force.

• Advertisement

Nhol78 wrote: »
    Has anyone had the bathroom lights go on them after less than 6 months, Does anyone know how to take the cover off, I have tried and it will not budge, I do not want to break it by applying too much force.

I've had 3 of the four sets of bathroom lights go on me so far within 9 months. It's a real pain. Can't explain how to get them down as my father switched them, the local light shops do have replacements for about 10 euro each. Not sure where they buy all these old low quality bulbs from.

Nhol78 wrote: »

the light cover screws off, turn it anti clockwise. It can be a bit stiff.

edit

anyone finding the heating system loses a little pressure over time?

after bleeding the rads, I pressurised it to the red dial at 1.5 bar. after w weeks it was just below 1.

first thought was a leak but there's no evidence of one anywhere in the house.

update: I think it may be a radiator balancing issue, we have opened the valves on some up and closed others down a bit so going to do a bit of research and testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 IrishGirl12

Has anyone had fire escape plans assessed? I am thinking of getting some sort of portable ladder that could be used from the top of the house but would be interested to hear if anyone looked into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Has anyone had fire escape plans assessed? I am thinking of getting some sort of portable ladder that could be used from the top of the house but would be interested to hear if anyone looked into this.

I've seen chain & rope ladders sold for this purpose.
    Search for "chain link ladder fire escape"
    But a rigid ladder can be daunting from such a height so I can't say how usable a flexible ladder would be in the event that you had to use it.

I guess fire is a good motivator for hanging off the side of a building..

Edit to add.
    Saw a good article on thewirecutter.com where they discuss them.

Yep but the pressure increases when the heating is operating so are you meant to reach that pressure when operating or when idle?

Match the pressure on the red needle when operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 john_this

Would somebody be able to PM details of a good snagger? Thanks

john_this wrote: »
    Would somebody be able to PM details of a good snagger? Thanks

pm'ed

• Advertisement

reading through the house contract, do we have to apply for planning permission for any kind of a shed ?

Advertisement