Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,097 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

After a couple of days in Dublin, i ended up with a bottle of Pearse Lyons Coopers Select that has a sherry cask finish and is supposed to have a nose of sherry and bourbon and a taste which is lingering and smooth.

I also got J.J.Corey GAEL, this a blend of 26 year old single malt, 15 year old single malt, a 11 year old single malt and a 7 year old grain. Its an edition of 7000 bottles.

Hopefully i will get to try both of these tonight.

BTW, the Pearse Lyons distillery tour is well worth the 20 yoyo's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Redbreast 21 was €8.90 a shot in Chelsea Drugstore the other day. Unbelievable price

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

In other news, Jameson black barrel is on in tesco for 36e

Steal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

limnam wrote: »
    In other news, Jameson black barrel is on in tesco for 36e

Steal

Great price, it's my fave whiskey under €50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Any catch with ordering from Masters of Malt? No issues with orders getting stopped by Customs for charges?

Prices look pretty good if you're ordering a decent amount to make the delivery charges worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Could someone going through Dublin airport find out the price of redbreast 21 for me. Cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Any catch with ordering from Masters of Malt?
    Sometimes. They don't seem to be legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

RasTa wrote: »
    Could someone going through Dublin airport find out the price of redbreast 21 for me. Cheers

They have a website. Look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭sceach16

RasTa wrote: »

https://www.theloop.ie/m/282/redbreast

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Any catch with ordering from Masters of Malt? No issues with orders getting stopped by Customs for charges?

Prices look pretty good if you're ordering a decent amount to make the delivery charges worth it.

Ordered from them at least a dozen times and never had an issue. Shipping is usually excellent, I’d often have it within 48 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Side by side taste test. under 30 quid.

One clear winner.

bush.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

A well deserved victory for the Black Bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hardy a fair comparison. You were drinking out of two different glasses ;):D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Had some Method and Madness Single Pot Still this weekend.
    Some from Batch 1 and some from Batch 2

Batch 2 is definitely a more finished whiskey, smoother and balanced.
    Batch 1 has a edge to it, but I do like it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Risk of bottles being seized, particularly at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Risk of bottles being seized, particularly at this time of year.

This was the first time I've ordered whiskey online. I considered both Whiskey Exchange & MoM. The prices were more or less the same. I went with MoM in the end (no particular reason)

I'm sure the Whiskey Exchange quote showed a detailed breakdown that included a refund of UK VAT, but an additional charge for Irish customs. I don't see that on the MoM order, but it did say all taxes & duties included.

Either way, surely they would only be seized if the duty wasn't paid by either the shipper or receiver?

I'm expecting my order to be delivered tomorrow, so I'll know soon enough.

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    This was the first time I've ordered whiskey online. I considered both Whiskey Exchange & MoM. The prices were more or less the same. I went with MoM in the end (no particular reason)

I'm sure the Whiskey Exchange quote showed a detailed breakdown that included a refund of UK VAT, but an additional charge for Irish customs. I don't see that on the MoM order, but it did say all taxes & duties included.

Either way, surely they would only be seized if the duty wasn't paid by either the shipper or receiver?

I got 2 bottles of scotch delivered from Amazon through parcel motlel yesterday. No problems at all. From the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Web sites routinely lie about this stuff.

Has anyone tried this.
    Thinking of asking the missis for a bottle for xmas.

Love the butterscotch of the regular 12 year old. Does this one have the same lovelyness.
    https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/11946/glenfiddich-14-year-old-rich-oak#productReviews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Thanks for the response about Masters of Malt. I might wait until the new year and think about an order then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭mikeecho

brokenarms wrote: »
    I got 2 bottles of scotch delivered from Amazon through parcel motlel yesterday. No problems at all. From the UK.

i've had issues with parcel motel and customs around this time of yr.
    so.. i generally order mid summer, when staffing levels are reduced due to them taking annual leave.. , and having reduced man power. and less vigilant to alcohol imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Wh1skeyjack

I had the midrange whiskey calendar seized this morning, got a nice letter in the post. Ordered last year without issues, so caveat emptor

I purchased one bottle of Murphy’s Irish Whiskey from the USA a couple of years ago. The whiskey was $13.99 and shipping about $60, it came without issues so I decided to buy 3 more bottles for a wedding. An post showed up with a bill of €80 to release them as the VAT was also based on the shipping costs. So I never tried that again 😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

smurfjed wrote:
    I purchased one bottle of Murphy’s Irish Whiskey from the USA a couple of years ago. The whiskey was $13.99 and shipping about $60, it came without issues so I decided to buy 3 more bottles for a wedding. An post showed up with a bill of €80 to release them as the VAT was also based on the shipping costs. So I never tried that again 😀😀

Am I missing something, why would you pay 60 for shipping on a 13.99 bottle?

Its a discontinued Irish whiskey that I could only find in the USA, I wanted to give it to someone called Murphy.

murphys-750__86999.1334331368.jpg?c=2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

My order arrived today with no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Ordered a few times from MoM with no issues. didn't even cross my mind regarding customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

smurfjed wrote:
    Its a discontinued Irish whiskey that I could only find in the USA, I wanted to give it to someone called Murphy.

Ahhh that's what I wasn't getting, thanks for the clarification!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I had the midrange whiskey calendar seized this morning, got a nice letter in the post. Ordered last year without issues, so caveat emptor

Can you get back on to MoM and see why?
    From their site they seem to be doing things legit, obv not though...

Big charge, or just seized and bye bye?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Ordered a few times from MoM with no issues. didn't even cross my mind regarding customs.

I had my first delivery from them yesterday - likewise customs never entered my head. I'd have been pretty p1ssed off if my 4 bottles had been seized!

Delivery was with DPD and the packaging very plain - sender was listed as Atom Supplies Ltd. (The bottles were very well protected inside).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement