Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Cousin just landed.... pressie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

Was in Tesco and had my head wrecked over what to buy.

Black Bush for 26
    Caskmates Stout Edition for 28
    Bullelit Bourbon for 35

Went for the Bullelit in the end as I'm eager to try out some bourbon. Hope I made a decent choice!

Good choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Any tips on drinking Bullelit by the way? Neat or with a drop of water?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Any tips on drinking Bullelit by the way? Neat or with a drop of water?

Try each, see which you prefer! Best way, no accounting for individual taste

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

J. Marston wrote:
    9 games. 1 goal. 0 wins.

Just looking at the redbreast 12yo cask strength I picked up last week, compared to the one I got in Feb last year. Alcohol percentage up to 58.2% compared to 57.2% from the 2016 version.

• Advertisement

Only the finest ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Only the finest ;)
    qzDcjl.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Only the finest ;)

I'm holding off till xmas eve.

Tried the aldi Irish reserve again.

Struggling to find much enjoyable about it.

limnam wrote: »
    I'm holding off till xmas eve.

Tried the aldi Irish reserve again.

Struggling to find much enjoyable about it.

A pub in Kerry is selling it at €15 a shot...
    There's a floral aftertaste to it...I like it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Yeah I read that.

Fair play to them if they can find people to buy it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,118 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

limnam wrote: »

Yeah I read that.

Fair play to them if they can find people to buy it! :D
    It's about twice the price of a standard whiskey off the shelf. So makes sense that the bar price is marked up comparatively. I don't see the issue.

I'd fully expect random Joes to sneer at the Aldi label. But I'd also expect anyone who knows anything about whiskey/history to see past it. Aldi weren't distilling small batch whiskey back in 1990 ;)

Mellor wrote: »
    It's about twice the price of a standard whiskey off the shelf. So makes sense that the bar price is marked up comparatively. I don't see the issue.

I'd fully expect random Joes to sneer at the Aldi label. But I'd also expect anyone who knows anything about whiskey/history to see past it. Aldi weren't distilling small batch whiskey back in 1990 ;)

Redbreast 12yo goes for about 6.50 in my local..
    And that's €15 dearer per bottle to buy off the shelf...it's silly..but some people will pay 15 for it in a pub

Redbreast 12yo goes for about 6.50 in my local..
    And that's €15 dearer per bottle to buy off the shelf...it's silly..but some people will pay 15 for it in a pub
    How much is a shot of normal Powers or whatever in your local?
    I was saying I'd expect it to be marked up verses normal stuff, not that €15 is a fair price. I don't know what normal costs there.

The second point was completely separate point about whiskey in general.

How much is a shot of normal Powers or whatever in your local?
    I was saying I'd expect it to be marked up verses normal stuff, not that €15 is a fair price. I don't know what normal costs there.

The second point was completely separate point about whiskey in general.

Normal Powers has nothing to do with it at all, you've gone into whataboutery land now..
    As for people scoffing at Aldi whiskey....you should have a look and see there's a whole thread on this particular bottle here on boards

In fairness, for a drink no longer on the market, 15 quid isn't bad! All the brand's mentioned so far can be bought almost anywhere!

kbannon wrote: »
    In fairness, for a drink no longer on the market, 15 quid isn't bad! All the brand's mentioned so far can be bought almost anywhere!

But this drink is still available... I bought another bottle in Tralee yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Charging €15 a shot for a bottle that retails for €50 is taking the mick. It's not illegal but I think it's a poor business decision.

€15 is Middleton vr territory and that retails for around €150.

But hey, if it works for them.

But this drink is still available... I bought another bottle in Tralee yesterday.
    I've looked in several around Dublin and it wasn't.

kbannon wrote: »
    I've looked in several around Dublin and it wasn't.

Supposedly 1 more delivery on or before the 12th

Normal Powers has nothing to do with it at all, you've gone into whataboutery land now..
    Huh? My entire point was about relative prices. So the standard pricing has everything to do with it. :confused:
    Last time I was in Dublin I probably paid €8 for a whiskey. A week later I paid £2 in my girlfriend's local. I'd never expect to get a aged whiskey for close to the same price in those two pubs.
    As for people scoffing at Aldi whiskey....you should have a look and see there's a whole thread on this particular bottle here on boards
    Do you have a link?
    Or even a rough summary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Revenue won't be happy if someone reports that pub in Dingle. It's like when the boys used to go up to the North and buy their spirits in the supermarkets.

As far as I know Aldi don't sell to trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭sceach16

Huh? My entire point was about relative prices. So the standard pricing has everything to do with it. :confused:
    Last time I was in Dublin I probably paid €8 for a whiskey. A week later I paid £2 in my girlfriend's local. I'd never expect to get a aged whiskey for close to the same price in those two pubs.

Do you have a link?
    Or even a rough summary.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105453248#post105

Do you have a link?
    Or even a rough summary.

Relative to what...you have to compare this whisky with others in around the same price point.... If I pay €13 for a redbreast 21yo I know I'm getting a quality whisky that retails bottled at €185 with a proper provenance....if I pay €15 for the Reserve, I'm getting a whiskey that was casked a few years too long, has no proper provenance (best guess it's a bushmills) and it retails at €50

RasTa wrote: »
    Revenue won't be happy if someone reports that pub in Dingle. It's like when the boys used to go up to the North and buy their spirits in the supermarkets.

As far as I know Aldi don't sell to trade.

They are doing nothing illegal.
    Irish duty and vat is incorporated in the retail price.
    Aldi can't dictate whether someone resells their products or not.

It is nothing like going up North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I thought the taxman was moaning because pubs were buying booze in supermarkets and not declaring profits.

Relative to what...you have to compare this whisky with others in around the same price point...
    Relative to other drinks in that same place. That's the whole point. I'm not sure what the struggle it tbh.
    Some pubs are more expensive across the board, its disingenuous compare them. Which is why I asked what the standard price was.
    If I pay €13 for a redbreast 21yo I know I'm getting a quality whisky that retails bottled at €185 with a proper provenance.
    if I pay €15 for the Reserve, I'm getting a whiskey that was casked a few years too long, has no proper provenance. (best guess it's a bushmills) and it retails at €50
    Is the redbreast 21 availible for €13 in that bar? Probably not. So that point is moot.
    I think I you're missing the point tbh.

RasTa wrote: »
    I thought the taxman was moaning because pubs were buying booze in supermarkets and not declaring profits.

Not declaring profits and buying booze in supermarkets are not connected in any way.

As long as it is bought in Ireland, there is no problem.

Relative to other drinks in that same place. That's the whole point. I'm not sure what the struggle it tbh.
    Some pubs are more expensive across the board, its disingenuous compare them. Which is why I asked what the standard price was.

Is the redbreast 21 availible for €13 in that bar? Probably not. So that point is moot.
    I think I you're missing the point tbh.

You have no point I'm afraid, Redbreast is either 13 or 13.50 there, can't remember...the point is that an inexpensive 26yo whisky, that isn't in the same quality level of a 21 Redbreast is more expensive....what part of this confuses you?

Don, I have no idea what you are on about either.
    Seems like you are arguing with yourself.

• Advertisement

Don, I have no idea what you are on about either.
    Seems like you are arguing with yourself.

My basic point is that 15 a shot for that whisky is way overpriced, that's all .
    I'll let it there, I'm not trying to be argumentative :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement