Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

When I say "tasting" I mean as in formal whiskey tasting. Nosing it thoroughly etc.

I find when I'm trying to just sit down and enjoy drinking a whiskey, and not trying to determine whether I detect hints of caramel or applewood or raspberry or whatever, the Glencairn glass to be too narrow a diameter and I've to purse the slips slightly. I find it hits my nose when I'm drinking out of it. It's also difficult to get a decent measure into it if it's a strong whiskey that you'll be adding water to. Finally, I hate the stupid bulbous base on the things.

That's fair enough tbh. As I said I haven't even used mine and I've had them a year. Mine are small size, so only really suited to wee taste anyway and not pouring out a glass to relax with. I did assume that the larger one was suited to drinking out of.
    The Norlan glass is supposed the next innovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Wife for me Glenlivet Founder's Reserve Single Malt and a bottle of Chivas for 18 pound each. Black Friday deals on Amazon.

I will be drinking them from an old stained coffee mug and loving every minute .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Just on glasses, has anyone tried the new tuath glass compared to the glencairn?

I know they were at Whiskey Live this year if anyone was there. I've a cupboard full of Glencairns and just wondering what these are like in comparison. No need to splurge on a new glass if they're not a significant improvement on the glencairn!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

They're a nice glass. You need two of them. Just to compare to your glencairns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Ralfy does a nice introduction to glasses at the beginning of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqCCisnU5KM&t=1s

At the end of the day I think you're all getting your knickers in a twist. I started with a tumbler and graduated to a glencairn, it's better for nosing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Just on glasses, has anyone tried the new tuath glass compared to the glencairn?

I know they were at Whiskey Live this year if anyone was there. I've a cupboard full of Glencairns and just wondering what these are like in comparison. No need to splurge on a new glass if they're not a significant improvement on the glencairn!
    It's a nice looking glass that is completely spoiled by an over engineered, stupid base. I think it's designed for holding the glass up to the light but who has a problem gripping a round base with a stem?

I haven't drunk from one, though.

cloudatlas wrote: »

At the end of the day I think you're all getting your knickers in a twist.

I think it's the "you're doing it wrong" attitude rather than anyone's opinion that has the twists in the knickers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I think it's the "you're doing it wrong" attitude rather than anyone's opinion that has the twists in the knickers.

Well said sir, there's no right or wrong way to do things only the way that works for each individual person.

People providing opinions and suggestions are always welcome but there'll be no universal acceptance on everything.

Anyways., lets talk whiskey. Whats everyone hoping to get under their Christmas tree this year. I'd love a 16/18 year old scotch if Ms brinty is is readding this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Either Hakushu or Yamazaki 12. Bought the aul fella a pricy bottle of Kavalan Taiwanese whiskey for his 70th that was great so might see if there's something more reasonably priced from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭sceach16

brinty wrote: »
    Well said sir, there's no right or wrong way to do things only the way that works for each individual person.

People providing opinions and suggestions are always welcome but there'll be no universal acceptance on everything.

Anyways., lets talk whiskey. Whats everyone hoping to get under their Christmas tree this year. I'd love a 16/18 year old scotch if Ms brinty is is readding this thread...

Midleton have a lovely taster set. 4 @ 50 ml. Green Spot , Redbreast, Johns Lane and Barry Crockett. Perfect size for people like me..(moderation needed) at c 35 euro. Teeling , Knappogue and others have similar but cheaper sets. Great for tasting/consuming without having full size bottles open. Also about the only way I will taste Barry Crockett.

• Advertisement

Either Hakushu or Yamazaki 12. Bought the aul fella a pricy bottle of Kavalan Taiwanese whiskey for his 70th that was great so might see if there's something more reasonably priced from them.

They just won distiller of the year at IWSC.
    (Kavalan)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

brinty wrote:

Gonna get myself a bottle of my favourite, Writer's Tears Copper Pot for Xmas....already looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

Bought myself another bottle of 12 year old redbreast cask strength on my most recent foray through duty free.

Raging to discover (in a way) that I actually have 3/4s of my old bottle left, thought I'd almost finished it off. Would have replaced my yellow spot which I actually did finish last week, otherwise.

Too much of that whisky is definitely a first World problem!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

brinty wrote: »
    W

I've been dropping hints towards something Japanese.

Hopefully I don't get a gift voucher for street food. :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I went to Whiskey Live, loved the new Tuath Glass to be honest, at the start it was awkward, but after a bit it's more comfortable and feels more natural then the Glencairn.

I then managed to loose the run of myself on Sunday:p

Picked up a bottle of Single Pot Still Batch #2 from Method and Madness, Bottle of Powers single cask, bottle of powers gold label, Won a bottle of Knappogue 12 and got a present of Writers Tears Copper Pot

Not a bad day!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Tonight I am having a drop of Teeling Single Malt (out of a Hennessy cognac glass ;) ) and the first sip was much, much nicer than I remembered. Either my palate is adjusting or this has benefited from being left alone for a year since I last opened the bottle. Very nice.

It's a nice looking glass that is completely spoiled by an over engineered, stupid base.
    I don't think much engineeing went into it at all. I think it's just a blob of glass to stuck on to achieve a shape - the part about for holding it feels like an afterthought.
    The local off licence had both the Hakushu and Yamazaki Distillers reserve on special this week. Almost pull the trigger, but decided not to so close to christmas ;)
    sceach16 wrote: »
    Midleton have a lovely taster set. 4 @ 50 ml. Green Spot , Redbreast, Johns Lane and Barry Crockett. Perfect size for people like me..(moderation needed) at c 35 euro. Teeling , Knappogue and others have similar but cheaper sets. Great for tasting/consuming without having full size bottles open. Also about the only way I will taste Barry Crockett.

I got the Teeling set as a birthday present, and my missus got me the Jameson set (original, black barrel, caskmates, crested 10). I think the Middleton st would be a nice addition. I really don't want to open any of them though

Think the Distiller's reserves are normally in the duty free Mellor, might save yourself a bit of you hold off until next flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Think the Distiller's reserves are normally in the duty free Mellor, might save yourself a bit of you hold off until next flight.

Just a side question on this.

Do you mean purchasing a bottle in Dublin Airport on the way out of Ireland and bringing it back to Ireland in checked in luggage, or is there a way to purchase duty free (when leaving the EU) and not have to bring it with you on the plane?

Do you mean purchasing a bottle in Dublin Airport on the way out of Ireland and bringing it back to Ireland in checked in luggage, or is there a way to purchase duty free (when leaving the EU) and not have to bring it with you on the plane?

I wasn't referring to Dublin airport at all. Just purchasing it at duty free prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭smileyme1984

From what I am aware the bottle has to leave the zone to be entitled to the duty free price and if it was kept in the airport for collection on your return and the shop was caught doing this they can be fined. I may be wrong however that was what I was told recently by a member of staff and had seen it in documents before relating to taxes.

Cheers for the tip.
    I'm actually flying on the 21th.

Buy it on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I had a look at the Tuath Glass on my lunchbreak. It's pretty nice to look at. Probably just as good as a glencairn for nosing/tasting. I think I would stick with the glencairn glass for trying a nice whisky though, as the Tuath strikes me as a bit of a gimmick. Check out the lovely angles on the base!

Saying that though, for sitting on the couch, I'd rather a tumbler. Less likely to be tipped over and spilled. I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I've ordered a bottle of Hyde No1, and a Bowmore 12 for Christmas.

Never had the Bowmore before, but have heard good things.
    I've had the Hyde before, and it was something wonderful - getting harder to find these days too. This batch must be nearly gone!

Wouldn't mind something else, just trying to decide what!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I've ordered a bottle of Hyde No1, and a Bowmore 12 for Christmas.

Never had the Bowmore before, but have heard good things.
    I've had the Hyde before, and it was something wonderful - getting harder to find these days too. This batch must be nearly gone!

Wouldn't mind something else, just trying to decide what!

I'm halfway through a bottle of bowmore12. Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Drinking Jameson Crested this week. It is just ok. I think Black Bush is better in that price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Big fan of Nikka from the barrel, so purchased the Nikka tasting set from Master of Malt last week. Worked though them quickly enough and splurged on a bottle of the 12 year old which has just shown up at the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I bought a bottle of Nikka coffey malt 2 years ago for €50. I still haven't opened the bottle yet. Almost a full bottle of John Lane to finish first and a 1/4 bottle of Connemara

brokenarms wrote: »
    Drinking Jameson Crested this week. It is just ok. I think Black Bush is better in that price range.

Crested Ten used to be a lovely whiskey but they've changed something with it in the last number of years. Don't know what the point of the rebrand was. Agree that Black Bush a nicer option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Anybody recommend any reasonably priced (40-50ish euro's) Bourbon Whiskey's? Undecided about a few bottles that I'm eyeing up as a gift.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement