Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Woodford Reserve gets my vote��

• Registered Users Posts: 68,126 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Woodford Reserve, Bulleit, Wild Turkey 101 although I've not seen it in Ireland in some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Thumbs up for Woodford Reserve. Towards the lower end of the bracket, Maker's Mark is a very solid choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Thanks lads, I've Buffalo Trace (€34), Bulleit (€37.40) and Woodford Reserve (€43) lined up on O'Brien's and I'll pull the trigger on one of them tomorrow.

That's a pretty decent price on Bulleit, must stock up for Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Passenger wrote:
    Thanks lads, I've Buffalo Trace (€34), Bulleit (€37.40) and Woodford Reserve (€43) lined up on O'Brien's and I'll pull the trigger on one of them tomorrow.

I'd be well chuffed with a bottle of Woodford under the tree. Do it!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Currently drinking Buffalo Trace and was drinking Woodford Reserve last night. While Buffalo Trace is OK, given the choice my preference would be Woodford Reserve any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Passenger wrote: »

Eagle Rare 10 yr old

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Eagle Rare 10 yr old

Give me a good reason why it's worth spending the 45 spondooly's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Give me a good reason why it's worth spending the 45 spondooly's?

Well it's from the Buffalo Trace Distillery which produce many top high end bourbon brands, it's highly regarded, very good for the price, I tried it and could see why people love it, nice sweetness but not too cloying and not a bland or one dimensional as say knob creek which is nice but just has one note in my opinion but all of your choices are good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

My Christmas present(s) to myself from Masters of Malt:

Cameronbridge 25 Year Old 1991 (cask 12069) - Old Particular (Douglas Laing)

Glenfiddich Experimental Series - Project XX

Kavalan Sherry Oak

Nikka Whisky From The Barrel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Cocksy

i love jim beam it tastes much better than jack

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Anybody recommend any reasonably priced (40-50ish euro's) Bourbon Whiskey's? Undecided about a few bottles that I'm eyeing up as a gift.
    partial to a nice drop of Bourbon myself.
    Woodford reserve and Buffalo Trace are probably best bang for buck you can get.  Eagle Rare is nice, but not worth the premium over BT (in my opinion). 
    My personal favourite is Wild Turkey 101 (50.5%)  but can be hard to get in Ireland. Makers Mark was nice, but wouldn't buy a bottle again.  Loved my first bottle of Bulleit, but 2nd bottle didn't seem as nice. 
    standard Jim Beam and Jim Beam Black 6 year old....both in my opinion are only fit for consumption with a decent mixer and would take Aldi Clarke's bourbon over either

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

picked up Cardhu 12 Year Old Single Malt in airport recently for around £31 stg
    It was a strange purchase for me as I normally drink Irish or US, but decided I should add another scotch to bar, mostly cos I was well impressed with Johnnie Walker Black which I recently got as present.

So don't plan on opening this just yet, but wondering about people's opinion's on Cardhu 12.

Also, I was surprised to see Midleton 2017 in the old style packaging, I thought first it was 2016.
    Had planned on buying the 2017, but didn't when it wasn't the new packaging. in hindsight, I think I should have gotten it and then the new style also but 2 bottles of Midleton 2017 might be seen as over the top by the OH :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Newbie question here but how does a bourbon differ in style to say an Irish whiskey? It's been years since I've drank a bourbon and then it would have been Jack Daniels or Jim Beam so no higher end stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

It was a strange purchase for me as I normally drink Irish or US, but decided I should add another scotch to bar, mostly cos I was well impressed with Johnnie Walker Black which I recently got as present.

So don't plan on opening this just yet, but wondering about people's opinion's on Cardhu 12.

Also, I was surprised to see Midleton 2017 in the old style packaging, I thought first it was 2016.
    Had planned on buying the 2017, but didn't when it wasn't the new packaging. in hindsight, I think I should have gotten it and then the new style also but 2 bottles of Midleton 2017 might be seen as over the top by the OH :-)

Cardhu 12 is very nice, quite similar to Irish whiskies. Drank very easily for me and was one of my first entries into scotch. If you enjoy it try an aberlour 12. I'm currently on a 16yo aberlour.
    Damn it now i want a whisky and i'm in work for a couple of hours yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭sceach16

brinty wrote: »
    Cardhu 12 is very nice, quite similar to Irish whiskies. Drank very easily for me and was one of my first entries into scotch. If you enjoy it try an aberlour 12. I'm currently on a 16yo aberlour.
    Damn it now i want a whisky and i'm in work for a couple of hours yet....

U on a coffee break? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Cardhu is a lovely whisky, you've reminded me to purchase another bottle...a lovely hint of caramel from it...very, very drinkable

Newbie question here but how does a bourbon differ in style to say an Irish whiskey? It's been years since I've drank a bourbon and then it would have been Jack Daniels or Jim Beam so no higher end stuff.

Massively. Bourbon is usually much younger (8 years is quite old whereas 10 is pretty normal for Irish and there's some great much older product), aged in new oak barrels and usually made from different grains (a mix of grains in most cases).

Taste profiles can be quite varied from cloying sweetness to that toothpasty taste of JD; some quite spicy/peppery depending on how much rye grain is in the mix and so on.

Its rare to get the darker flavours you can get from Irish products and you never get the different flavours from reused barrels you get on many Irish ones - fortified wine barrels being common. Of course, bourbon barrels are often the ones used for Irish whiskey in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

L1011 wrote: »
    Massively. Bourbon is usually much younger (8 years is quite old whereas 10 is pretty normal for Irish and there's some great much older product), aged in new oak barrels and usually made from different grains (a mix of grains in most cases).

Bourbon needs to be aged a minimum of 2 years. Irish and Scotch is a minimum of 3 years.
    Most whiskeys are aged longer that but the different legal minimums are reflected in the typical ages of bourbon vrs Irish/scotch.
    Bourbon must be mostly corn based.
    Bourbon is also distill at lower ABV and sold as % max - where as Irish/Scotch is 40% minimum.

By no means an expert. But I looks liek to me that bourbon rules are set up so as to retain as much flavor as possible (virgin oak, lower ABV) in as fast as time as possible. Where as the Irish and scotch rules are set up for complex flavours

• Advertisement

The corn vs barley distinction is the biggest difference by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The corn vs barley distinction is the biggest difference by far.

Definitely, especially when taken to the upper limits which would make it corn whiskey
    I haven't tried Rye whiskey, but I imagine the same would apply there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Cardhu is a lovely whisky, you've reminded me to purchase another bottle...a lovely hint of caramel from it...very, very drinkable

Dam. I might have got through xmas and not even thought about Cardhu.

Now I have to buy another bottle Whisky. :D

Its a real winner that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

So it's December 1st, and it's a Friday.
    Is today the day we start opening the Christmas Whiskies??

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Just happened across this forum... some great info & ideas. My current tipples are:

Dalmore 15. I previousy had a couple of bottles of the 12, but got this as a pressie. My favourite scotch to date - very smooth & peaty.

Yellow Spot. I picked this up without knowing much about it. Quite a strong sherry after-taste. Not sure I'd buy it again.

Recently finished a bottle of Bushmills 12 "Distillery Reserve" bought from the distillery gift shop during a visit. Very drinkable. I think it can only be bought in the gift shop or online direct from the distillery.

On the Christmas shopping list... Redbreast 12 (another favourite) and Jameson Black Barrel. Also tempted to go for another Dalmore 15 - there's a nice gift pack with 2 x glasses on Master of Malt I've never used them before - does anybody have experience with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Just happened across this forum... some great info & ideas. My current tipples are:

Dalmore 15. I previousy had a couple of bottles of the 12, but got this as a pressie. My favourite scotch to date - very smooth & peaty.

Yellow Spot. I picked this up without knowing much about it. Quite a strong sherry after-taste. Not sure I'd buy it again.

Recently finished a bottle of Bushmills 12 "Distillery Reserve" bought from the distillery gift shop during a visit. Very drinkable. I think it can only be bought in the gift shop or online direct from the distillery.

On the Christmas shopping list... Redbreast 12 (another favourite) and Jameson Black Barrel. Also tempted to go for another Dalmore 15 - there's a nice gift pack with 2 x glasses on Master of Malt I've never used them before - does anybody have experience with them?

Just used them for the first time. Excellent communication, quick delivery and a great range at good prices.

Have bought off both Master of Malt and The Whisky Exchange with no issues. Prefer to get off Amazon if possible these days due to Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Just used them for the first time. Excellent communication, quick delivery and a great range at good prices.
    Have bought off both Master of Malt and The Whisky Exchange with no issues. Prefer to get off Amazon if possible these days due to Prime.

Thx... just tried Amazon there for the Dalmore 15, but got "does not ship to Ireland" message.

Ordered them from Master of Malt in the end, so we'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I find Kilbeggan really nice and sweet, and one of the easiest to drink. It's honestly the best entry level whiskey around imo.

Anyone know of something similar which I should try out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Was in Tesco and had my head wrecked over what to buy.

Black Bush for 26
    Caskmates Stout Edition for 28
    Bullelit Bourbon for 35

Went for the Bullelit in the end as I'm eager to try out some bourbon. Hope I made a decent choice!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement