Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I had the midrange whiskey calendar seized this morning, got a nice letter in the post. Ordered last year without issues, so caveat emptor

Can you get back on to MoM and see why?
    From their site they seem to be doing things legit, obv not though...

Big charge, or just seized and bye bye?

Of course they're doing things "legit". You're the one doing the importing - responsibility for ensuring correct duty paid sits with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,118 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They are exporting, you are importing.
    If it gets flagged at customs, you have to pay duty. They could of course bundle the fee into their price, but that put the price up on all deliverys. Nobody wants that.

Sometimes DHL will pay the charge and collect from you on delivery.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Of course they're doing things "legit". You're the one doing the importing - responsibility for ensuring correct duty paid sits with you.
    On excisable items the responsibility lies with the seller not the buyer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

L1011 wrote: »

Surely, that applies to sales within the state, not importing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Surely, that applies to sales within the state, not importing.

No. Seller is always responsible. Additionally, you need a licence to pay excise, consumers don't have one generally!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

No. Seller is always responsible. Additionally, you need a licence to pay excise, consumers don't have one generally!
    For intra-EU, yes. If ordering from outside the EU it is the buyer's responsibility and a mechanism exists for consumers to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,118 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In the case of importing, responsibility lies with the importer.
    Individual consumers do not normally pay APT. The tax falls due when the product leaves duty suspension, i.e. when it leaves a tax warehouse. A tax warehouse is a premises specially authorised by Revenue to produce, process or store alcohol and other excisable products. The person liable for the duty is the tax warehouse keeper or an importer.

Excise duty also falls due on alcohol entering Ireland from abroad. If an individual consumer purchases alcohol and has it delivered to Ireland from another country, excise (and other customs charges, as well as Value Added Tax (VAT)) will be payable before Customs will release the product.

Worth noting, that due to EU customs zoning. Movement within the EU is not importing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

What's the story with www.thewhiskyexchange.com then?
    On checkout they show the deduction of UK Duty and addition of the Irish duty.
    Would that be a safer bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

These would get through Parcel Motel in Amazon packaging yeah?

• Advertisement

Cheers, absolutely brilliant price.

These would get through Parcel Motel in Amazon packaging yeah?

At your own risk. The T&C's explicitly exclude alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

At your own risk. The T&C's explicitly exclude alcohol.

Has anyone here tried this in the past with An Post address pal?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Wh1skeyjack

Don't know yet. I'll get the goods though, but I'll have to pay duty I think. I got onto MoM and they apologised and offered to cover any extra charges. Can't really argue with that, top customer service. Now I just have to send a snail mail letter to fecking Donegal (!) and hope they release it this side of Christmas. I'll have a lot of drinking to do to catch up....

Writer's Tears and WT Red Head Single Malt are £25 and £27 respectively on M&S.com

One of each and two Green Spot was enough indulgence for one morning.

RasTa wrote: »

Feck i might have to chance it.

I did a PM order two months ago that got through but hadn't a clue it was against T+Cs so was planning to use MoM next until this thread highlighted similar issues.

I've been itching to try this for too long now so i guess this is the time to chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What's the story with www.thewhiskyexchange.com then?
    On checkout they show the deduction of UK Duty and addition of the Irish duty.
    Would that be a safer bet?

According to their website, the only EU countries that they organise local taxes with are Germany and Sweden. Everywhere else pays UK VAT (and duty, presumably). Therefore not compliant with Irish revenue.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/customerservice/delivery-customs

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

Midleton is amazing, and I like Redbreast & Jameson as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Munt1core

Jim Beam and Jameson

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭joombo

Monkey Shoulder, Redbreast and Mellow Corn. I'm a big fan of cut. That is, put a few drops of clean, cold water in your whiskey to open it up. I find a little tiny bit of water makes it more fragrant, which makes it taste more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 DeterminedMole

Has anyone here tried Tyrconnell 16, if so what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Green spot and redbreast 12 delivered from Amazon in a lightning sale for 74 beans. Can't bate that! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Green spot and redbreast 12 delivered from Amazon in a lightning sale for 74 beans. Can't bate that! :)

They were about £29 each during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Moving on to a new job, so the lads in the old job clubbed in and got me a bottle of green spot and Teelings single malt. Had some of the Teelings last night - nicer over the single grain and small batch

Feck i might have to chance it.

I did a PM order two months ago that got through but hadn't a clue it was against T+Cs so was planning to use MoM next until this thread highlighted similar issues.

I've been itching to try this for too long now so i guess this is the time to chance it.

My two bottles hit the locker this morning.

They weren't packed as well as last time when they had packing inside the tubes stopping movement.

You could hear liquid if you were were analysing it.

It arrived in there and was processed at 5pm yesterday... probably not a bad time and day to hit there as I'd say customs like to head off early like the rest of us.

Won't chance it again for a good while... it's basically just Redbreast and Green Spot I'd think about it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Moving on to a new job, so the lads in the old job clubbed in and got me a bottle of green spot and Teelings single malt. Had some of the Teelings last night - nicer over the single grain and small batch

I bought a bottle of the Teeling single malt today, having had it a few times before. It's the best of the trilogy in my opinion. I like the small batch, but not a fan of the single grain.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I bought a bottle of the Teeling single malt today, having had it a few times before. It's the best of the trilogy in my opinion. I like the small batch, but not a fan of the single grain.

I'd be the same.
    Was up in the distillery a few weeks ago and single malt is my favourite, followed by the small batch.

Having some Paddy Centenary tonight, lovely drop.

Picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace and Makers Mark today. Buffalo Trace was nice, surprisingly smooth. The makers mark was really nice. Lovely aftertaste to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

My two bottles hit the locker this morning.

They weren't packed as well as last time when they had packing inside the tubes stopping movement.

You could hear liquid if you were were analysing it.

It arrived in there and was processed at 5pm yesterday... probably not a bad time and day to hit there as I'd say customs like to head off early like the rest of us.

Won't chance it again for a good while... it's basically just Redbreast and Green Spot I'd think about it for.

exact same experience for myself .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 SummerHaze

this month I have Tennessee Whiskey

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement