Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrible things you were called at school

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Then I moved to their secondary. Instantly the homophobic abuse started, because having a brain and wanting to learn was 'gay' it never went away and the school refused to do anything about it the whole time I was there. Just pretend nothing is happening - **** Typical catholics, cover up abuse and pretend it doesn't happen

This post is unwarranted, provocative, and narrow-minded on so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Bear - as I was big and didn't shave for a while
    Shakes - as my hands used to shake a lot
    Shakin Stevens - for the same reason
    Fat - as I was big
    Nerd - as I was intelligent

I used to pronounce r's funny as a child, so my name of course had an r in it, so they'd just call me my name with the bad r pronunciation even years after I fixed it.

I'm sure there was others but I've just blocked them out of my mind. They used to prefer robbing my stuff and punching me tbh instead of name calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

You could have shed a few pounds, and with it, half that list. Done.

Curious if you would tell someone from the Middle East who was being called dirty to buy skin bleaching products.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭dasdog

Not really horrible but I was called Julius, as in Julius Caesar, which lasted about a week because I looked like him after the school suspended me for having long hair and I got a haircut that a laurel wreath would die for. I'm far from being the fighting type but always stood my ground and fought back against the mods/skas/skins who hated us rockers. We were as bad in fairness (absolutely mentally tortured one lad who turned to heroin) but I'm friends with some of them now and the music crossed boundaries on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

titan18 wrote: »

I used to pronounce r's funny as a child, so my name of course had an r in it, so they'd just call me my name with the bad r pronunciation even years after I fixed it.

Wob?

• Advertisement

I didn't get called names in primary school, but there was usually some other unfortunate to pick on. In fourth or fifth class a pupil was 'welcomed' into our class having grown up in England of Irish parents. He was 'English bastard' (semi-encouraged by the bogger teacher who wouldn't shake his hand without a glove) and, because he was doubly unfortunate enough to have to wear glasses, 'specky four eyes'. About a week in to this poor cnut's ordeal, some other wnaker at break time used a ruler to fire a stone directly at his eye, it shattered one lens of his glasses. NO disciplinary action was taken even though the school authorities were perfectly aware who did it.

This was a 'christian brothers' school, I suppose I should be glad my arse was intact,

Then I moved to their secondary. Instantly the homophobic abuse started, because having a brain and wanting to learn was 'gay' :rolleyes: it never went away and the school refused to do anything about it the whole time I was there. Just pretend nothing is happening - wankers :mad: Typical catholics, cover up abuse and pretend it doesn't happen

Cnuts the lot of them. I actually sometimers find it hard to figure out that my kids are keen to go to school - but then I remember they're not going to catholic school :pac:

Ok. So you're an Irish Catholic-hating, "bogger" (which we can assume is a synonym for Irish in your case)-hating Englishman who has built up a persona of poor me victimhood and scapegoating to explain your own perceived inadequacies. And you're determined to pass this poison on to your children. How very evolved of you.

Perhaps, just perhaps, people pick up on the superiority complex and self-serving conceits which are evident above and can't warm to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I was called "Specky four-eyes," all the time.

I still wear them and I still hate them. Still feel ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Day Lewin wrote: »
    I was called "Specky four-eyes," all the time.

I still wear them and I still hate them. Still feel ugly.

Get Lasek? I used it to have jamjars for glasses... never got slagged for it though.

Used to get called the FA cup by a cruel english teacher. Ear reference...
    Hes dead now, died youngish... alcoholic... i guess he wasn’t perfect either.

Only teacher I ever told to go f@ck himself to his face. That felt so good. His punishment was to move me to the other English class,., to a much much nicer teacher. Learnt some valuable lessons there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

PandaPoo wrote: »
    Wob?

Cowwect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I have a vaguely Semitic appearance and as such my nickname was "Jew", on top of this I supported Tottenham and was also circumcised so it fit in nicely. Even when I was boxing over here my nickname on the posters was "the Yid".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

FTA69 wrote: »
    I have a vaguely Semitic appearance and as such my nickname was "Jew", on top of this I supported Tottenham and was also circumcised so it fit in nicely. Even when I was boxing over here my nickname on the posters was "the Yid".

Lads knew you were circumcised?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Lads knew you were circumcised?

Obviously like. No way you'd be playing sports through school without someone catching sight of your nob. Even besides that it wasn't a subject that wouldn't come up in conversation at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

I was called buck teeth and bugs bunny because of prominent teeth. It continued after my teeth were straightened. I hated it and it made me terribly self conscious. I had a part time job one summer and two guys used to call me Laura Ingalls. I thought it was because of teeth and because I was clever and into books. I found out after months it was because her nickname in the show was half-pint and was a reference to my flat chest. That was kinda clever to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

This thread has me thinking about a really skinny lad in my class in first year. We were in science class and rickets came up so that was his new nickname.
    By third year it had shortened to Ricky and even some teachers that hadn't taught us before were calling him that thinking it was name.
    Still see him around now and even though we are nearing forty it's automatically "Hey Ricky, how's things".
    I'm trying for the last while and can't remember his real name.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭BurnUp78

Trophy head
    Dumbo
    Ear lingus
    Stretch ear strong
    Or just a plain oul "big ears"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Didn't really get called many names (to my face at least), one guy on the road called me anna cause he thought I had anorexia due to be extremely thin. This definitely no longer applies.

I always feel so sad for anybody who has had comments made about their teeth. Especially when it has an effect on how they smile. Same with people who are teased for their laugh. Making someone insecure about something they naturally do in a moment of joy is ****ty imo. Especially if it causes them to then cover/alter their natural smile/laugh. That is such a sad thing to put on somebody. Not that others aren't bad I just feel very sad for people who feel they need to cover their mouth when they smile, it should be something that is carefree. I know it's usually only kids who start it but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Went to school with a dude called John Francis Hunt.

Poor bast@rd was called John Fanny Cnut for 5 years of secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Ok. So you're an Irish Catholic-hating, "bogger" (which we can assume is a synonym for Irish in your case)-hating Englishman who has built up a persona of poor me victimhood and scapegoating to explain your own perceived inadequacies. And you're determined to pass this poison on to your children. How very evolved of you.

Perhaps, just perhaps, people pick up on the superiority complex and self-serving conceits which are evident above and can't warm to you?

That's some world class victim blaming there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I feel cheated. Despite being constantly bullied for the first two years of secondary school, nobody ever took the time to give me a nickname.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    Ear lingus
    me too.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭NewMrs2b

I have spent a good 10mins crying with laughter at this!

This thread has me thinking about a really skinny lad in my class in first year. We were in science class and rickets came up so that was his new nickname.
    By third year it had shortened to Ricky and even some teachers that hadn't taught us before were calling him that thinking it was name.
    Still see him around now and even though we are nearing forty it's automatically "Hey Ricky, how's things".
    I'm trying for the last while and can't remember his real name.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,350 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This post is unwarranted, provocative, and narrow-minded on so many levels.

Objecting to people posting about their own experiences says a hell of a lot more about you than it does about them.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

A waster.
    A fag*ot

• Registered Users Posts: 34,350 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

fixxxer wrote: »
    That's some world class victim blaming there.

Didn't see that due to the ignore list, but that's hilarious albeit not intentionally :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,826 ✭✭✭nerd69

Rob and iv never stole anything in my life what a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Sky King wrote: »
    Nothing otther than my surname (which most people assumed was a nickname). I didn't mind at all.

There was a kid in.my year with huge lips.

They called him 'apocalypse'.

Heh.

That was the majority of my school mates nicknames - or an abbreviated version like sully/murph etc - a few got animals like beaver, ferret,mole, or a few got Simpson names - one I remember was Wiggum as he sounded like him ... got called posh as I had according to some i sounded English and mainly I got called some form of my surname

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    A fag*ot
    A robotic cigarette?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Was never bullied, though I suppose the "worst" was being called a weirdo for napping on a coach in the library. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Poshie or The Snob. I was neither but I spoke well and owned horses. I went to the local community school so all the kids from my area / primary school were called posh or snobby by the kids from the social housing estate beside the school.

I grew up in a village with no council estate, and, along with my neighbours, was called a "snob" when I went to secondary school.... :confused:

Our school choir sang in a neighbouring village's church once and we were chased down the street of that village by the local kids who roared "CROWS" at us! :D:D

That was about as bad as it got...:D

Advertisement