Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrible things you were called at school

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Aglomerado wrote: »
    we were chased down the street of that village by the local kids who roared "CROWS" at us! :D:D

That was about as bad as it got...:D
    These guys?

71GBQfb_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭ablelocks

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Was never bullied, though I suppose the "worst" was being called a weirdo for napping on a coach in the library. :p

you did mean couch, didn't you?

because taking a nap on a coach in the library would definitely fall into weirdo territory..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

2 brothers in school had the surname Lipton. Both had strange walks (kind of limps).

Poor feckers used to get a song sung at them...

The Bangles with "walk like an e lipton"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Sheep sh*gger. Somebody thought I looked like a picture of a fella with a lamb on his back in one of our textbooks ( I couldn't have been more different) and the class thought it was hilarious

Spread round school and I spent 5 years listening to sheep noises. Might sound funny but it was horrible thing to live through. Plenty of days i faked sick so I didn't have to go.

I should have stuck up for myself and nipped it in the bud there and then but that's hindsight and me being a very different person now vs then. Well able to stand up for myself these days :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I had a lot of curly hair when I was in secondary school so of course I got the constant curly sue references.
    Doesn't sound like much but it went on and on and on and the more it would annoy me the more it would go on for.
    Then they came up with a whopper, home alone.
    Why? Cause my name is Kevin.
    I admire the moronic brains that came up with that to be honest.
    I went to a very religious school in a backward town in roscommon so my guidance counsellor was a priest.
    He essentially told me I'd amount to nothing in life and I should confess more
    Nasty nasty school nathys was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

ablelocks wrote: »
    you did mean couch, didn't you?

because taking a nap on a coach in the library would definitely fall into weirdo territory..

Yeah, mistype... damn auto-correct -- meant couch, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I was called quiet so much. It doesnt sound that mean and I don't know why it hurt so much, but it was often said with malice, and definitely to offend me. Whenever I spoke in class people would say 'he speaks!' and things like that that only made me even more quiet and less willing to speak
    Even teachers would say it to humiliate me..
    One new teacher who had been teaching us about three weeks asked me in the middle of class' wakka whats your favourite hobby' and I said uhh swimming why?'
    and he said oh no reason I just wanted to hear what your voice sounded like.
    And the class laughed
    Looking back now I still think he was a bastard, if I was a teacher Id never humiliate a 14 year old child publicly for absolutely no reason other than to try and be funny for the class

Unfortunately insults about being quiet aren't ones that stop once you leave the school yard, grown adults are also obsessed by my quietness. Not in a mean way like kids were though but its still humiliating almost sympathetically being asked why you're so quiet or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

'Stay Puft' - thanks, Ghostbusters.

bear1 wrote: »
    I had a lot of curly hair when I was in secondary school so of course I got the constant curly sue references.
    Doesn't sound like much but it went on and on and on and the more it would annoy me the more it would go on for.
    Then they came up with a whopper, home alone.
    Why? Cause my name is Kevin.
    I admire the moronic brains that came up with that to be honest.
    I went to a very religious school in a backward town in roscommon so my guidance counsellor was a priest.
    He essentially told me I'd amount to nothing in life and I should confess more
    Nasty nasty school nathys was.

You got off easy with the curly hair names
    Most guys I know with curly hair got called pube head

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭daheff

This thread has me thinking about a really skinny lad in my class in first year. We were in science class and rickets came up so that was his new nickname.
    By third year it had shortened to Ricky and even some teachers that hadn't taught us before were calling him that thinking it was name.
    Still see him around now and even though we are nearing forty it's automatically "Hey Ricky, how's things".
    I'm trying for the last while and can't remember his real name.

Richard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

A fella in my class was sickly. He was really thin and pale.
    His name was Steve Kelly, and his friends called him skelly.

This was in the late 80s and He-Man was all the rage.
    Cue the class bully hearing him being called skelly. 'skelly? Skeletor, more like'
    So, 5 years of being called Skeletor it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Paul Pogba

Johnny Tuesday because I missed 2 Monday’s in a row, once.
    Also called stretch, because I was quite tall whilst quite young.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

I'm female but was called 'Mick Jagger' because I have/had big lips. Was also called 'Jimmy Hill' because I had an underbite (now corrected). Mostly got these types of insults from snotty faced boys.

I found that girls tended to attack your personality, which could be more damaging. Went to all girls school and found it incredibly bitchy, tended to hang around with lads outside of school.

368100 wrote: »
    Sheep sh*gger. Somebody thought I looked like a picture of a fella with a lamb on his back in one of our textbooks ( I couldn't have been more different) and the class thought it was hilarious

Spread round school and I spent 5 years listening to sheep noises. Might sound funny but it was horrible thing to live through. Plenty of days i faked sick so I didn't have to go.

I should have stuck up for myself and nipped it in the bud there and then but that's hindsight and me being a very different person now vs then. Well able to stand up for myself these days :-)

Its crazy the things people get made fun of for. Even if every child was an exactly same looking clone replica I think there'd still be bullying, they'd find something and somebody to pick on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was called Bone because I was very skinny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

I went to high school in the States, there was all the stereotypical cliques and a lot of bullying. In fact, it was literally the school the movie Mean Girls was based on, Tina Fey who wrote it went there also.

There was a girl in my year who had a sort of wide face, a pug nose and wild frizzy ginger hair. She got called 'Troll' all through the 3 years she was there, in reference to the troll dolls that were popular back then, and was teased all the time.

The summer before Senior year, she got very ill and felt so cold or so hot she got in the bath to either warm up or cool down. Her mother found her dead in the bath.

I wish I could say that this made people in the school reconsider or feel bad about bullying, but it didn't seem like anyone cared tbh.

I still think about her, how awful it must have been to be treated like that and then your life just gets cut short before you even get a chance to escape it and be treated like a human being.

RIP Kelly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Thunder Tits :o:o:o

Wouldn't mind it was a good mate that named me that :D

Stuck with me for many a year :pac::pac::pac::pac:

To this day I still have a bit of a complex about it , even looked up a moob removal , but decided Id just go with a more stringent diet instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

ectoraige wrote: »
    Brit, despite living in Ireland with Irish parents since I was 1 year old.

Another person was born in Heathrow Airport to Irish parents and flown here 30 minutes later with blood, gore and umbilical cord hanging out all over the place, they haven't set foot in the UK since.

Nickname at school : Tan

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

My daughter was born in Limerick city, the nearest maternity hospital to north Tipperary. Over twenty years later I still call her Stabby sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

When I was like 10, me and my friend were playing WWF in the playground. Like, doing WWF moves and stuff. Well, one one the lads in my class shouted out - "Look at them being gay". From then on - apparently, I was gay. The rumours expanded to me literally being gay. So the lads in my class created a game called "HIV". It was like tig, but instead of saying tig - you say "HIV". Anyways, one of the guys in my class who was particularly brutal to me walked up to me in the game and said "You already have HIV you homo. F*ck off away from me." I remember being particularly busted up about it and had to stop myself from crying, because if I had of cried it would have made it ten times worse for me.

Like all this from me playing WWF with my friend in the playground when I was just a kid. I couldn't even be friends with him anymore, because even associating with him would cause us grief. It didn't help that I was going through serious depression at the time - the type of depression no kid should have to go through.

The topic would pop up every now and again when I went to secondary, and I had to try defend not being gay. So I knew what it was to be gay in the 90's without actually being gay.

My brother ended up coming out a few years ago and I was the first person he came out to in my family. I gave him a big hug and told him I already knew and that everything would be ok and than our parents would be fine with it (which they were).

I had a rough time in school. That's just one of many things I went through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

When I was like 10, me and my friend were playing WWF in the playground. Like, doing WWF moves and stuff. Well, one one the lads in my class shouted out - "Look at them being gay". From then on - apparently, I was gay. The rumours expanded to me literally being gay. So the lads in my class created a game called "HIV". It was like tig, but instead of saying tig - you say "HIV". Anyways, one of the guys in my class who was particularly brutal to me walked up to me in the game and said "You already have HIV you homo. F*ck off away from me." I remember being particularly busted up about it and had to stop myself from crying, because if I had of cried it would have made it ten times worse for me.

Like all this from me playing WWF with my friend in the playground when I was just a kid. I couldn't even be friends with him anymore, because even associating with him would cause us grief. It didn't help that I was going through serious depression at the time - the type of depression no kid should have to go through.

The topic would pop up every now and again when I went to secondary, and I had to try defend not being gay. So I knew what it was to be gay in the 90's without actually being gay.

My brother ended up coming out a few years ago and I was the first person he came out to in my family. I gave him a big hug and told him I already knew and that everything would be ok and than our parents would be fine with it (which they were).

I had a rough time in school. That's just one of many things I went through.

I don't think anyone in my class knew what homosexuality was when I was 10.

You must have gone to a progressive school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I don't think anyone in my class knew what homosexuality was when I was 10.

You must have gone to a progressive school.

You must have gone to a very sheltered one. Kids say that even at 10. They may not know what it actually means, but they know it is meant as an insult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

When I first moved to the states, the primary school I went to was predominantly black, like there was exactly one other white boy and one white girl in my year. So I already stuck out, but then when I opened my mouth and had an Irish accent, everyone stared at me and I had to explain where I was from. One kid said 'Don't you want to be American?'

Now, just like the Dad in Goodfellas said to Henry Hill, my father told me Americans were stupid and lazy. So I replied 'No.' and gave that as my reasoning. That didn't go over so well.

I was called 'Lucky Charms' for a while. Thankfully we got some more foreign students in later on. One was Asian, but the black kids didn't tease him because they all assumed he knew karate. Another was Indian and he was named Samir, which everyone thought was 'smear'. They used to say to him 'Smear peanut butter, sticks to the plate!' I dunno where that came from but it became a thing, and then 'Smear toilet paper sticks to my a$$'

Anyway, as I was good in English class the teacher had me help Samir learn the language, though I wasn't happy with the arrangement at all because I knew being associated with him would open me up to more teasing. But years later, when I had moved to a different School district, and was going to the high school I mentioned in my last post, Samir ended up transferring there and had a class with my girlfriend, she told him about me and he got really excited and was like 'he taught me English!' and he was really thankful and so that was kind of cool, and he said he didn't even remember being called Smear Peanut Butter.

I moved back to Ireland ten years ago, and I have an American accent now, so I get called Yank all the time. Or sometimes Canadian by a few mates when they really want to annoy me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I was called 'four eyes' on the way home from school one day. I don't wear nor have never worn glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

You must have gone to a very sheltered one. Kids say that even at 10. They may not know what it actually means, but they know it is meant as an insult.

Sounds like I missed a bullet.

Couldn't have been that sheltered.

We used to have "Mercy" championships at lunch with belts made from cardboard box cutouts. Aping the rich kids with their SKY WWF wrestling, but I guess living in BOG 1/2land had its benefits.

Things change in secondary school obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Lots of variations of fat....fattie, fat ba5tard etc
    Four eyes
    Hippy
    Nerd

Was always the same three or four people that started the nicknames. Most of them were the hard asses - constantly fighting or bullying others.

Got called one of the old nicknames a few years ago by one of the bullies (we left school over 20 years ago!). I shoved him up against the wall and told him that if he ever called me that again I'd break his effin neck. He was quite shocked - thought that the names were always funny.....and that nobody ever threatened him before.

Good job he didn't know that I nearly shat myself after the incident :D Just wish I'd have been as brave at school.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

I was called Fatso...it must be an Offaly thing. I haven't been called it since my schooldays.

I went to high school in the States, there was all the stereotypical cliques and a lot of bullying. In fact, it was literally the school the movie Mean Girls was based on, Tina Fey who wrote it went there also.

There was a girl in my year who had a sort of wide face, a pug nose and wild frizzy ginger hair. She got called 'Troll' all through the 3 years she was there, in reference to the troll dolls that were popular back then, and was teased all the time.

The summer before Senior year, she got very ill and felt so cold or so hot she got in the bath to either warm up or cool down. Her mother found her dead in the bath.

I wish I could say that this made people in the school reconsider or feel bad about bullying, but it didn't seem like anyone cared tbh.

I still think about her, how awful it must have been to be treated like that and then your life just gets cut short before you even get a chance to escape it and be treated like a human being.

RIP Kelly.

Ruined my morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pizzaface or corned beef face (I had pretty bad acne). It was really only one guy that called me these but it really did sting as I was so conscious of my acne.

Johnny Logan, because it seems from the age of 10, I looked like him. That one lasted, on and off, for years, right into early adulthood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Sky King wrote: »
    Nothing otther than my surname (which most people assumed was a nickname). I didn't mind at all.

There was a kid in.my year with huge lips.

They called him 'apocalypse'.

Heh.

If they’d had big teeth too they could have called them a-capall-lips

Capall, Irish for horse. Not sure if I’ve spelled it right.

Advertisement