Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrible things you were called at school

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Man, thats a long list. Well for starters, our school uniform was a green blazer and trousers, and I'm a big guy and always have been (broad and tall at that time incidentally) so my name in school from the age of 12 till we moved at age 16 was the Green Giant. Being also fat, speccy, 'nerdy' (hate that word) and incredibly shy and awkward, I got

Fat
    Fatty
    Chubby
    Fat as a ****ing elephant
    Fatty fatty boom boom
    Blob
    Big blob
    Mr blobby
    Tubby
    Porky
    Piggy
    Lard arse
    Tubby
    Speccy
    Four eyes
    Fat nerd
    Obese ****
    Nerd
    Geek
    Poofter
    Queer
    Fat queer
    Fat ******
    Fat poofter
    Blobby poofter
    Queer retard
    Gay retard
    Fat retard

Thats off the top of my head. Imagine that every day for 4 years :pac:

i was called the abortion tht failed
    you couls=d have imply gone on a diet

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭LittleMuppet

Poshie or The Snob. I was neither but I spoke well and owned horses. I went to the local community school so all the kids from my area / primary school were called posh or snobby by the kids from the social housing estate beside the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭DaithiMa

'Beaver' due to my prominent front teeth before I wore braces. The 'best' horrible nickname I heard was 'Ocras' for a lad that was a touch tight with money...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Fatty or tubsy when I was younger
    Then I lost a lot of weight and was called a weed a lot in secondary school
    You just can't win :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Second Yellow

Bugs Bunny because I had prominent teeth. My teeth are nice and straight now :D

I think every school has at least one "Bug" "Bunny" or "Bugs Bunny" at all times.

Not defending it, just seems to be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Second Yellow

grahambo wrote: »
    My German teacher once told me (in front of the whole class):
    "Unfortunately Graham... You're just not intelligent enough to learn German"

I've heard some teachers say some terrible things, some worse than the above, but somehow that just strikes me as the height of idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I didn't get called names in primary school, but there was usually some other unfortunate to pick on. In fourth or fifth class a pupil was 'welcomed' into our class having grown up in England of Irish parents. He was 'English bastard' (semi-encouraged by the bogger teacher who wouldn't shake his hand without a glove) and, because he was doubly unfortunate enough to have to wear glasses, 'specky four eyes'. About a week in to this poor cnut's ordeal, some other wnaker at break time used a ruler to fire a stone directly at his eye, it shattered one lens of his glasses. NO disciplinary action was taken even though the school authorities were perfectly aware who did it.

This was a 'christian brothers' school, I suppose I should be glad my arse was intact,

Then I moved to their secondary. Instantly the homophobic abuse started, because having a brain and wanting to learn was 'gay' :rolleyes: it never went away and the school refused to do anything about it the whole time I was there. Just pretend nothing is happening - wankers :mad: Typical catholics, cover up abuse and pretend it doesn't happen

Cnuts the lot of them. I actually sometimers find it hard to figure out that my kids are keen to go to school - but then I remember they're not going to catholic school :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

We're going to go out of our way (literally) and make sure that when our kids go to secondary, it won't be in a sex abuser school

The effect of this is that my wife will have to stay out of work for years to come, ferrying them between school and home

it's easier of course to allow them to be brainwashed, segregated by gender, and groomed for sexual abuse in the local catholic schools. That's what they're counting on.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I was called Nelson after Nelson Mandela for years. All because a woman with a similar name to mine released a song about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Man, thats a long list. Well for starters, our school uniform was a green blazer and trousers, and I'm a big guy and always have been (broad and tall at that time incidentally) so my name in school from the age of 12 till we moved at age 16 was the Green Giant. Being also fat, speccy, 'nerdy' (hate that word) and incredibly shy and awkward, I got

Fat
    Fatty
    Chubby
    Fat as a ****ing elephant
    Fatty fatty boom boom
    Blob
    Big blob
    Mr blobby
    Tubby
    Porky
    Piggy
    Lard arse
    Tubby
    Speccy
    Four eyes
    Fat nerd
    Obese ****
    Nerd
    Geek
    Poofter
    Queer
    Fat queer
    Fat ******
    Fat poofter
    Blobby poofter
    Queer retard
    Gay retard
    Fat retard

Thats off the top of my head. Imagine that every day for 4 years :pac:

You could have shed a few pounds, and with it, half that list. Done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

We're going to go out of our way (literally) and make sure that when our kids go to secondary, it won't be in a sex abuser school

The effect of this is that my wife will have to stay out of work for years to come, ferrying them between school and home

it's easier of course to allow them to be brainwashed, segregated by gender, and groomed for sexual abuse in the local catholic schools. That's what they're counting on.

Fare Thee Well to your wife on her ferry on that arduous journey to the island where there are no sex abuser schools.

Next stop. Utopia.

What a trooper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I got called posh as well. Not sure why, my accent is quite neutral. Also when I was about 13, some girls wrote on a wall that I was a slut. I'd only kissed one boy by that time so not sure where they got that from. Just a word girls used a lot at the time to be mean I suppose.

There was a boy in school called Whippet because he was very skinny. I don't think that bothered him tbh. He seemed to embrace it. He answered to it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Would you not be better off homeschooling them ? That way they'd avoid any contact with people at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Nothing otther than my surname (which most people assumed was a nickname). I didn't mind at all.

There was a kid in.my year with huge lips.

They called him 'apocalypse'.

Heh.

Some really intelligent responses there, well done :rolleyes:

There are 2 large secondary schools in this Dublin suburb - one RC girls school and one RC boys school. If you want your children to be treated like normal people - not segregated by gender and religion - you're s**t outta luck.

But yeah that obviously means I don't want my kids to have contact with people and I should homeschool them - I'm the one that's weird and our society is perfectly fine. Perfectly fine and not in the slightest bit weird and f**ked up at all at all. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Were you called 'homo' then?

Coz you know, you were home schooled?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Some really intelligent responses there, well done :rolleyes:

There are 2 large secondary schools in this Dublin suburb - one RC girls school and one RC boys school. If you want your children to be treated like normal people - not segregated by gender and religion - you're s**t outta luck.

But yeah that obviously means I don't want my kids to have contact with people and I should homeschool them - I'm the one that's weird and our society is perfectly fine. Perfectly fine and not in the slightest bit weird and f**ked up at all at all. :rolleyes:

I went to a mixed secondary school for 5 years. Based on the experiences of some of my classmates (And thankfully not me), mixed schools do not automatically insulate children from abuse.

Sky King wrote: »
    Were you called 'homo' then?

Coz you know, you were home schooled?

Nobody on this thread said they were home schooled - if they were, where would the verbal abuse be coming from?

I'm not a fan of it. People who want schools to be like workplaces - where sectarianism and sexism are illegal, instead of regarded as the norm - shouldn't have to give up their jobs and segregate themselves from others. Generally it's religious nutcases who are into homeschooling so their kids will not have contact with sinners :rolleyes:

jooksavage wrote: »
    I went to a mixed secondary school for 5 years. Based on the experiences of some of my classmates (And thankfully not me), mixed schools do not automatically insulate children from abuse.

No but it's a less artificial environment. My wife went to the girls secondary here and bullying and cliques were rife, and subject choices very limited - girls don't need to do science apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

I got called firestarter and ready brek (central heating for kids) on account of having red hair.
    Jokes on them cause I'm going bald now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Goth
    Devil follower
    Asked did I kill dogs

And... all I used to do is wear a black slipknot hoodie to school over my uniform in the mornings

I didn't even hang around with so called goths

Kids can be cruel

Saying that the main guy who did it is now dead from heroin OD

So F him and his family (they were complete scum) .. were horrible nasty people

Anyway ya names can hurt

I will always be checking in with my kids and somehow try to prevent bullying in anyway I can think of when I have them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Bugs Bunny because I had prominent teeth. My teeth are nice and straight now :D

Teeth-a-bix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I didn't get called names in primary school, but there was usually some other unfortunate to pick on. In fourth or fifth class a pupil was 'welcomed' into our class having grown up in England of Irish parents. He was 'English bastard' (semi-encouraged by the bogger teacher who wouldn't shake his hand without a glove) and, because he was doubly unfortunate enough to have to wear glasses, 'specky four eyes'. About a week in to this poor cnut's ordeal, some other wnaker at break time used a ruler to fire a stone directly at his eye, it shattered one lens of his glasses. NO disciplinary action was taken even though the school authorities were perfectly aware who did it.

This was a 'christian brothers' school, I suppose I should be glad my arse was intact,

Then I moved to their secondary. Instantly the homophobic abuse started, because having a brain and wanting to learn was 'gay' :rolleyes: it never went away and the school refused to do anything about it the whole time I was there. Just pretend nothing is happening - wankers :mad: Typical catholics, cover up abuse and pretend it doesn't happen

Cnuts the lot of them. I actually sometimers find it hard to figure out that my kids are keen to go to school - but then I remember they're not going to catholic school :pac:

Because having a brain and wanted to learn was 'gay'

Weirdly enough I laughed at this
    Kids are weird

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

No but it's a less artificial environment. My wife went to the girls secondary here and bullying and cliques were rife, and subject choices very limited - girls don't need to do science apparently.

I assume you don’t realize how superior you come accross? I went to my local all boys catholic school. There was no abuse and very little bullying. I would guess that is most peoples experience.
    Enough with the big dramatic statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

What sh1te is this you're posting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Depending on how rough your school, loads of people had some kind of embarrassing and often surreal nickname.

In a weird way, it showed you were accepted.

I have two school friends that I still call by a nickname other than their real first name. They're not insulting names just surreally unrelated to their actual names and we actually can't remember how they came about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Don't you start we're due a crazy post ?

There was no abuse and very little bullying.

Lucky you.

Do you find facts uncomfortable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Do you find facts uncomfortable?

I do not believe any of what you said, happens in a modern Irish school. Its complete and utter boll1x.

Advertisement