Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

bilston wrote: »
    In fairness Stockdale scores too many tries to be nailed on in a Joe Schmidt team so I can see your point.

Is Larmour's future at 15 or wing?

Stockdale looks like he might have what so many try-scoring wingers lack; decent defence. If that holds up, then it's going to be very exciting.

But it's still very early days and we only have a very small sample size. Craig Gilroy looked like he was the future this time five years ago. Six months later he was finished as an international.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

bilston wrote: »
    In fairness Stockdale scores too many tries to be nailed on in a Joe Schmidt team so I can see your point.

Is Larmour's future at 15 or wing?

Stockdale looks like he might have what so many try-scoring wingers lack; decent defence. If that holds up, then it's going to be very exciting.

But it's still very early days and we only have a very small sample size. Craig Gilroy looked like he was the future this time five years ago. Six months later he was finished as an international.

I've watched Stockdale and Gilroy a lot. There is no comparison, for a start Stockdale can pass and kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I know this is easy to say on the back of the last few weeks but Stockdale has the look of someone who could rack up a serious amount of caps over the next 10 years. Of course that could go t1ts up with an injury but he looks the real deal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I would like to prescribe you one dose of Jordan Larmour, to be taken once daily for the next 3 days.

https://streamable.com/f4c0t

FÓS AR LARMOUR is the new TOMMY BOOOOOOWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Sanjuro wrote: »
    FÓS AR LARMOUR is the new TOMMY BOOOOOOWE.

Fós ag Larmour, is dóigh liom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Fós ag Larmour, is dóigh liom.

Me fail Irish? That's dodhéanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

salmocab wrote: »
    I know this is easy to say on the back of the last few weeks but Stockdale has the look of someone who could rack up a serious amount of caps over the next 10 years. Of course that could go t1ts up with an injury but he looks the real deal to me.

#Leftwingshaggie

baaba maal wrote: »
    #Leftwingshaggie

Even looks like him. They are practically chin twins.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

Four caps into his international career Stockdale is already better than Bowe was at his peak

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I doubt there'd be less travelling with a French club.

There would be much more time at home because you would no longer be involved in the international set up for camps/matches. There would also be no commuting from Cork to Limerick/overnights in Limerick for training. You would be talking one night away for some away matches and that's it.

I don't think it's a big factor or anything but it has obviously affected the quality of life for lads living in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Four caps into his international career Stockdale is already better than Bowe was at his peak

Never, ever! drink and post

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah I’m all on the Stockdale hype train. He’s a class act. He still has tests to pass, such as performing against top class opposition in crunch matches, but while I wouldn’t put it past him to take to it like a duck to water, I also wouldn’t be giving up on him if he struggles a little. He’s young and inexperienced still so we cant expect perfection out of the box. I’d be confident that he can become our next Bowe though.

And with Larmour at full back we’ll be tearing sides asunder by 2019! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Even looks like him. They are practically chin twins.

Indeed! The most robust mandibles in Irish rugby.

Speaking of chins- every time I see Jackman on de telly, I can't get past looking at the baby's arse he has on his chin- I hear nothing he says anymore, I just see a little botty. You can't unsee it once you have!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

baaba maal wrote: »
    Indeed! The most robust mandibles in Irish rugby.

Speaking of chins- every time I see Jackman on de telly, I can't get past looking at the baby's arse he has on his chin- I hear nothing he says anymore, I just see a little botty. You can't unsee it once you have!
    Personally, Stockdale reminds me of this:

dandy_2310043b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Absurd. It's incredible how influenced people are by recency. He's a very long way to go before he can be mentioned in the same category as Bowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Q

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Absurd. It's incredible how influenced people are by recency. He's a very long way to go before he can be mentioned in the same category as Bowe.

277.gif

We need to see Stockdale against good opposition. Those were some very poor SA and Argentina teams and his performances were not flawless.

The demise of Trimble and Bowe and departure of Zebo gives him a golden opportunity to establish himself so let's hope it pans out. He's definitely the best prospect of himself, Byrne and Sweetnam.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

277.gif

Don't get me wrong, I'm all aboard the hype train, but he is not yet better than Bowe.

Bowe must be one of our most underrated players of the pro-era. Really doesn't get the credit for just how good he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Stockdale' performances to date are comparable to Bowe at his best. Stockdale has more pace though so potentially could be better.
    However, there's a long road ahead to prove the same consistency that Bowe and Earls have maintained over the years.

• Advertisement

Stockdale' performances to date are comparable to Bowe at his best. Stockdale has more pace though so potentially could be better.
    However, there's a long road ahead to prove the same consistency that Bowe and Earls have maintained over the years.

Ah lads.

We're not comparing a guy with four caps, against opposition ranging from crap to mediocre, to probably the best Irish winger of the pro era. We're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Insanity

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Personally, Stockdale reminds me of this:

dandy_2310043b.jpg

Jamie Roberts???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Insanity

Absolutely. I mean he's no Jordan Larmour FFS. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

This is the biggest load of nonsense I've read on here in awhile. Which is an achievement, given some of the stuff that's been going around.

Stockdale is 21, turns 22 in March.

At the same age, George North had played in a World Cup semi-final, won two Six Nations championships and had three Lions test caps. At the same age, Luke Fitzgerald had won a Heineken Cup, a Grand Slam and a Lions test cap.

What has Stockdale achieved? We need to move on to a prospect who might actually amount to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Q
    Is there anybody not on your naughty list? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What has Stockdale achieved? We need to move on to a prospect who might actually amount to something.

He's playing for Ulster. The best he could achieve is a gallant defeat in the league semi finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

mfceiling wrote: »

He's playing for Ulster. The best he could achieve is a gallant defeat in the league semi finals.

Even that is looking unlikely...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Too true. If the Lions 15 was getting picked tomorrow, or even the squad, would Stockdale be in? Tommy was the starting 14 in 2009 and 2013. Let’s not forget how good he was. Stockdale looks like he’s got everything going for him, but will still do well to get to that level.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement