Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sounds ideal really. Plenty of notice, POM for a RWC and a nice payday for him to round off his career. It's not a problem position for Ireland and Munster have time to bring in/through a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

sydthebeat wrote: »
    one thing we dont have over here, probably due to the smaller number of top level players, is the 'years sabbatical' that some all black players are offered ie Dan Carter, Ben Smith, Richie McCaw, generally towards the twilight of their career to get one last RWC out of them.

For example, Sexton could definitely benefit from a six month break around winter '18. At that stage Sexton will be a year older than Carter was when he took his break. Maybe taking at '18 November internationals and the 2019 6N off.

Did Carter miss any AB games or was it just Super Rugby that he missed.

The 6Ns is too important for us not to have our best players. If Sexton were to take a break I'd suggest the time to do it is after the Australia tour so as you say he'd miss next year's Autumn games and the first half of the domestic season. But as you say we can't easily replace a player like Sexton in the same way NZ can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I thought the AB sabatticals were to allow them to go abroad to get a wedge of cash.

So, rather than a physical break it was a way to keep them under contract while getting the foreign cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

bilston wrote: »

The 6Ns is too important for us not to have our best players. If Sexton were to take a break I'd suggest the time to do it is after the Australia tour. But as you say we can't easily replace a player like Sexton in the same way NZ can.

Best time for a break is before the Aussie tour. Finish out this season in May and take a break until December. Back in for the back to back games in Europe to build up some fitness for the 2019 6Ns. Ireland can go down to Oz with Carbery as first choice and maybe bring both Keatley and Byrne. Use the June and November games to develop the depth a bit more, even if it means a few losses. At this stage we've developed a good enough record over the last 4 years that we can afford to lose a couple of non-tournament Tests if it means having a better squad for the RWC. Sure people are talking about that now, they'll be even more focused on it next year. If we frame June and November as development opportunities most will be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

dub_skav wrote: »
    I thought the AB sabatticals were to allow them to go abroad to get a wedge of cash.

So, rather than a physical break it was a way to keep them under contract while getting the foreign cash.

McCaw didn't go anywhere afaik, he just didn't play. Ben Smith is on a sabbatical too at the moment, is he playing in Japan or anything? Carter did a season in Perpignan that ended before it began through injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

McCaw didn't go anywhere afaik, he just didn't play. Ben Smith is on a sabbatical too at the moment, is he playing in Japan or anything? Carter did a season in Perpignan that ended before it began through injury.

You're right. The Carter situation and the many rumours about McCaw had me confused.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,249 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bilston wrote: »

The 6Ns is too important for us not to have our best players. If Sexton were to take a break I'd suggest the time to do it is after the Australia tour so as you say he'd miss next year's Autumn games and the first half of the domestic season. But as you say we can't easily replace a player like Sexton in the same way NZ can.

cruden started 8 tests in 2014....Barrett starting 3 i think

so basically Carter missed the june internationals and the rugby championship.

It actually worked out well for NZ to do this as Cruden missed the whole of RWC 15 due to ligament injury...as they had Barrett well blooded to slot in as reserve 10 with significant top level game time, which he wouldnt have had if carter had stayed around.

I suppose im just putting it out there that maybe it wouldnt be the worst call in the world to give the '19 6N to the second choice 10 ? be that whomever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Something I didn't know about Richie McCaw until recently is that he's a commercial helicopter pilot now. Maybe that's what he spent his sabbatical on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

dub_skav wrote: »

They're both. Some players use it to take break and recharge. Nonu went Japan to get a big pay cheque. SBW did boxing and 7s I think. Kaino didn't take a sabbatical but took a two year break in Japan. I think it's something the IRFU could look at when discussing contracts.

POM has earned the right to a short contract then a pay day in France or the UK. LF is a position of depth in Ireland. By the time the RWC in 2019 comes round, Munster will have plenty of experience there as well. It would be a shame to lose him but he has earned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Would be sorry to see him go obviously but wouldn't begrudge him.

You just wonder is this a trickle of players making the move to France that will soon become a torrent - why wait til you're 30 to move and make big bucks when if you're good enough at 24/25...

I've no idea what the solution is but I really hope we don't start becoming feeder clubs for the French and English

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭irelandrover

How many players will be out of contract after the World Cup, are we likely to see a big exodus at that stage?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

How many players will be out of contract after the World Cup, are we likely to see a big exodus at that stage?

Yes.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Newstalk saying he's rejected a deal from irfu that would see him here after the World Cup. English and French clubs offering twice as much and that his aim is a short term deal to play in the World Cup and then leave

If he wants to leave straight after the World Cup I don't think he should be selected to play in it. The IRFU/Schmidt did the right thing with Zebo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The september WCs mean that if hes moving straight after the tournament then realistically hes not signed for a province during the WC. Obviously they could fudge this with a contract till then but that wouldnt be a runner. Hed be a loss but luckily its in about the only part of the team where we have incredible depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

irishfan9 wrote: »
    Yes.

Are our "average" international players going to earn any more in France or England than they do in Ireland? I don't really think so tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Are our "average" international players going to earn any more in France or England than they do in Ireland? I don't really think so tbh.

Ian.... feckin... Madigan

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

If he wants to leave straight after the World Cup I don't think he should be selected to play in it. The IRFU/Schmidt did the right thing with Zebo
    That wasn't some kind of 'punishment'. Zebo wouldn't be completely free for training camps, POM will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

They should have done the same with Sexton using that logic
    It shouldnt be one rule for one and another for others

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think Zebo's omission was at least partially about the fact that the AIs were a depth building exercise, and he isn't going to be part of the Irish future. It's possible enough that he could still feature for Ireland in the Six Nations, when the focus will be back on winning. At the same time, it's possible he won't be back because some of his replacements looked more than capable of filling his role. No doubt the move out of Ireland, and a willingness to nip that in the bud, is a certain portion of the reasoning for leaving him out, but it's not all of it, or at least it's not a reason on its own.

With POM, the situation could be different, it'll be a World Cup, and the focus will be on peak performance way more than usual, so I think that'll outweigh the necessity to drop him because he's moving away. Of course, there's still plenty of time between now and then for someone else to play their way into making his loss not all that much of a big deal, so there's plenty of things that could change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

irishman86 wrote: »

Actually I think there should be one rule for one and a different one for another, or more accurately I think every player will have their own rule. There should be a multitude of ways to interpret the 'rules' around this, because not every situation is the same.

The way to reconcile what happened with Sexton compared to what happened with Zebo is simple - how irreplaceable is the player in question? Does the player's new foreign contract allow them to attend any or all training camps? How important is the next competition? etc. etc.

Under Joe, if the response to the above is "no training camps", then that likely puts that player out of contention (even if they don't move abroad!), and it is almost guaranteed when players move to France or England that they won't be able to attend. These questions will also influence the timing of when a player is dropped too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It's nearly five years since Sexton signed with Racing. Ireland had a different coach at the time. Sexton is about as relevant as Geordan Murphy at this point.

Not that you'd know it on this forum sometimes, but things do occasionally change.

Say what you want about Schmidt, but every player has been treated the same - Moore, Madigan, Ryan and Zebo. If POM turns down a new deal, he won't have an exception made for him.

The idea of a bridging deal so that he can have the best of both worlds would be an awesome outcome for POM but IRFU would be inviting a world of trouble upon themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Personally don't believe POM is in the strong negotiating position some believe, we have numerous back row combinations that would negate his departure, if I was a blazer i certainly wouldn't be bending over backwards to keep him if he wants to shun a deal and go abroad.

In saying all that not that I begrudge him at all the opportunity to go make some money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

pom is thinking of leaving in 2 years, so probably is every other irish player today and every day.
    this is a story but its not the pom story.
    money in france and the add ons we would not be privy to, it is serious stuff.
    stockdale agent's phone you can be sure is hopping the last 3 weeks.
    the french seem to have the attitude - they dont care how much it costs they will be the new centre of world rugby.
    the 2023 world cup, best players, best coaches. they want them all and they will get them all.
    within 15 years international rugby will be a very changed landscape. money gives political power and political power is the law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

MJohnston wrote: »
    Actually I think there should be one rule for one and a different one for another, or more accurately I think every player will have their own rule. There should be a multitude of ways to interpret the 'rules' around this, because not every situation is the same.

The way to reconcile what happened with Sexton compared to what happened with Zebo is simple - how irreplaceable is the player in question? Does the player's new foreign contract allow them to attend any or all training camps? How important is the next competition? etc. etc.

Under Joe, if the response to the above is "no training camps", then that likely puts that player out of contention (even if they don't move abroad!), and it is almost guaranteed when players move to France or England that they won't be able to attend. These questions will also influence the timing of when a player is dropped too.

I disagree respectfully. I felt it when Jonny went that he should have been dropped as should Zebo and POM if he leaves
    Or alternatively just pick the best players regardless of where they play which would mean Zebo should be starting at fb as for me hes far better than RK
    But with the rules currently in place there should be no bias, which we will see when a Leinster star makes the move or if Murray does

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Surely it's a no brainer, give POM a one year Munster contract, and once he commits to being available for the RWC he can do whatever he pleases after that.
    POM would have to accept a lower contract now and take the gamble that he won't be seriously injured before the end of the RWC, and can cash in afterwards.
    POM takes all the risk and the IRFU get a good player for cheap.
    It would bolster the squad without breaking the bank.
    Every other contract could be approached the same way.
    But if a player wants to stay for 3 more years at the end of this season then could reward them with a central contract.
    Stander would be a much more interesting case, he will also be out of contract in June.
    He would probably be more valuable than POM to any foreign club.
    Also Andrew Conway will be out of contract in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I disagree respectfully. I felt it when Jonny went that he should have been dropped as should Zebo and POM if he leaves
    Or alternatively just pick the best players regardless of where they play which would mean Zebo should be starting at fb as for me hes far better than RK
    But with the rules currently in place there should be no bias, which we will see when a Leinster star makes the move or if Murray does

Sexton had a clause from the start with Racing that he could attend all Irish camps so it is different plus Sexton is and at that time was especially absolutely vital to the Irish team. The drop off after Sexton at 10 is bigger than at any other position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Well the rule seems to be if you can make yourself available for all training camps you can be included. Sexton pretty much paid racing to make himself available whereas others haven't done that so thats why sexton was picked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Well the rule seems to be if you can make yourself available for all training camps you can be included. Sexton pretty much paid racing to make himself available whereas others haven't done that so thats why sexton was picked

I wouldn't think the Sexton case is binding precedent by any stretch. This is about what's best for Irish rugby not just the Irish team. It's vital that provinces remain competitive so even if POM or anyone else can somehow negotiate a deal to make themselves available for training camps, I'm not sure they would be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Folks, there is no rule. Every situation is viewed on its own merits and so far the only exception we’ve seen in the last few years has been Sexton. Every other player who has moved has been dropped. So we’re seeing a consistency there for everyone bar the exceptional cases. Which makes sense. I’ve no idea why it’s even a point of discussion. Common sense is applied, and if we can live without the player we do. End of.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement