Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Travellers have a right to a home that is culturally appropriate'

Options

Comments

The best thing to come out of a knacker camp ?
    A few hearses

You and peterparker must have been punching the air after the Carrickmines tragedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

You can say it till you're blue in the face but you're simply wring in your assertion.

Where are the special programmes for non-traveller children to get into education?

Where are the free scholarships at third level Colleges for non-traveller children ?

Why are (e.g.) TV Licence non payers hounded yet non-tax paying travellers are not ?

Why are responsible drivers penalised for minor infractions yet travellers can ride horse drawn carriages down main roads?

There are scholarships available across the country to second and third level collages open to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

The best thing to come out of a knacker camp ?
    A few hearses

You and peterparker must have been punching the air after the Carrickmines tragedy.

How dare you. Children died in that fire.

Are you on the sauce or just off your head?

You thanked a post joking about travellers dying, how dare you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The original post was crude and disgraceful, your making capital out of it isn't much better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

nullzero wrote: »
    The original post was crude and disgraceful, your making capital out of it isn't much better.

Tbf I don't see anything wrong with calling someone out on it?

So long as it deosnt decent into round upon round of over and back pedantics :rolleyes:

You liked a "funny" about hearses emerging from "knacker camps".

I gave you an example of it.

Are you not still laughing?

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Are you on the sauce or just off your head?

You thanked a post joking about travellers dying, how dare you.

Interesting how he feigned outrage...and then thanked the very next post that made light of the Carrickmines tragedy.

Oh peter. You hate them, you didn't mind seeing their kids burn, you enjoyed a joke about it, you liked the next effort to make light of it...just so transparent...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

you would be best putting that question to the gardai, minister for justice and other politicians as to why horsedrawn carriges aren't being removed from the main roads.
    if responsible drivers are breaking the law and the gardai catch them, even if it's a minor infraction, they are still breaking the law.

Ok, let's say myself and a few concerned citizens were privy to a sulky race going down on the M7 via a message boards or chat group. Let's say we decided to film it and call the Gardai as we did so. Then imagine we handed over the evidence to the Gardai. Would you be on board with that? Or would you call that abnormal behaviour and say leave the police work to the police?

Also, why did you thank the post saying settled people dump loads of waste on traveller sites? Asked you about 4 times now...

Interesting how he feigned outrage...and then thanked the very next post that made light of the Carrickmines tragedy.

Oh peter. You hate them, you didn't mind seeing their kids burn, you enjoyed a joke about it, you liked the next effort to make light of it...just so transparent...

Pretty sure he's a she :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,372 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Interesting how you know the user had a sexchange.

Just takes one stupid comment to derail a thread like this.

I think it should be obvious, but not being enamored with the behaviour of Travellers does not automatically translate to wishing them dead. The Carrickmines tragedy was not explicitly brought up but now we've gone from legitimate grievances people have about the behaviour of Travellers in relation to the conditions in which they create for themselves to live in to anybody who isn't linking arms in solidarity with the poor unfortunate Travellers is of the opinion that children burning to death is OK once it's Traveller children.
    We've officially jumped the shark with this thread thanks to one stupid comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,372 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think it should be obvious, but not being enamored with the behaviour of Travellers does not automatically translate to wishing them dead. The Carrickmines tragedy was not explicitly brought up but now we've gone from legitimate grievances people have about the behaviour of Travellers in relation to the conditions in which they create for themselves to live in to anybody who isn't linking arms in solidarity with the poor unfortunate Travellers is of the opinion that children burning to death is OK once it's Traveller children.
    We've officially jumped the shark with this thread thanks to one stupid comment.

I'd imagine that was the goal of said stupid comment. Put an end to the nasty thread that is not following the hivemind.

Tbf I don't see anything wrong with calling someone out on it?

So long as it deosnt decent into round upon round of over and back pedantics :rolleyes:

He went off on a tangent in attempt to pull at people's heart strings.
    I'd just report the post personally.

He went off on a tangent in attempt to pull at people's heart strings.
    I'd just report the post personally.

It deos seem to strike as inflaming the situation....but if people are supporting and approving xy and z they should be able to stand over it

The fact I would regularly thank posts completely different/at odds to my opinion probably makes me seem a hypocrite here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

I wasn’t describing that tragic indecent, but the rest of the robbing bastards should be culled

Ah come off it.

He referred to hearses emerging from a halting site, a very singular image and a very specific reference. Don't get so sensitive just because I pointed to one of the worst tragedies in this country in recent years...which involved hearses emerging from a halting site. Even if you don't think they are linked, you have spent far more energy criticising me for joining what I (and evidently others) see as the rather obvious dots than condemning the post itself.

Ah come off it.

He referred to hearses emerging from a halting site, a very singular image and a very specific reference. Don't get so sensitive just because I pointed to one of the worst tragedies in this country in recent years...which involved hearses emerging from a halting site. Even if you don't think they are linked, you have spent far more energy criticising me for joining what I (and evidently others) see as the rather obvious dots than condemning the post itself.

You're reaching and you know it. Your arguments thus far have been week, you saw your opportunity to score points and took it, at least be honest.

I wasn’t describing that tragic indecent, but the rest of the robbing bastards should be culled

Oh you think hearses coming out of other sites would be funny...just not the site in Carrickmines?

That's a bit of a strange clarification. You think they should be culled...except for the travellers in Carrickmines? That makes no sense. If you insist that they should be culled, and you like hearses emerging from halting sites, I think you may have engaged in more air punching than I previously thought.

You're reaching and you know it. Your arguments thus far have been week, you saw your opportunity to score points and took it, at least be honest.

You are objecting far more to my reaction than to the post about hearses emerging from halting sites. We don't have to explore your honesty, we can establish it objectively by a word count on your reaction to each...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Oh you think hearses coming out of other sites would be funny...just not the site in Carrickmines?

That's a bit of a strange clarification. You think they should be culled...except for the travellers in Carrickmines? That makes no sense. If you insist that they should be culled, and you like hearses emerging from halting sites, I think you may have engaged in more air punching than I previously thought.

To be honest I don’t think any travelers obey the law of the land
    Those poor tinkers in Carrikmines did break the law with the electricity situation and I’m sure they were claiming dole while dealing in other income
    But the MSM don’t talk about this

You are objecting far more to my reaction than to the post about hearses emerging from halting sites. We don't have to explore your honesty, we can establish it objectively by a word count on your reaction to each...

I used the report post function,did you?
    The post was abhorrent, it goes without saying that the poster needs to take a long hard look at themselves.
    At no point in this thread have I espoused the type of lazy xenophobic nonsense that post represents and I think that you know that Conor.

Those poor tinkers in Carrikmines did break the law with the electricity situation and I’m sure they were claiming dole while dealing in other income

I'd comment...only Nullzero (who previously articulated his dislike of travellers) would be all over me.

Anyway glenfield, peter, null, I get it. Ye are uncomfortable talking about a tragedy in the traveller community that may be linked to the accommodation issue that is the subject of the thread. Let's get back to talking about stuff like rubbish and horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I'd comment...only Nullzero (who previously articulated his dislike of travellers) would be all over me.

Anyway glenfield, peter, null, I get it. Ye are uncomfortable talking about a tragedy in the traveller community that may be linked to the accommodation issue that is the subject of the thread. Let's get back to talking about stuff like rubbish and horses.

I wouldn't mistake a lack of response as discomfort.

There wasn't a lack of response.

You liked his post. Nullzero took issue with my objection.

Do you find the death of travellers funny?

There wasn't a lack of response.

You liked his post. Nullzero took issue with my objection.

Hang on a minute pal, I made it clear that I was taking issue with you making capital out of the post in question, I objected to the post, I reported the post. You have some nerve twisting things in that manner.

Hang on a minute pal, I made it clear that I was taking issue with you making capital out of the post in question, I objected to the post, I reported the post. You have some nerve twisting things in that manner.

Don't get angry. We have both clearly set out our positions. You don't like them, I agree with the rulings and findings from the Council of Europe, the EU, the UN etc. etc. etc. We can agree to disagree.

Don't get angry. We have both clearly set out our positions. You don't like them, I agree with the rulings and findings from the Council of Europe, the EU, the UN etc. etc. etc. We can agree to disagree.

Did I explicitly say that I don't like "them"? You're filling in blanks to suit your own agenda, I'm not angry, I'm just unhappy at being misrepresented.
    You need to filter yourself a little before you press post.

You have some neck in your attempts at taking the moral high ground in this thread. Now we've moved on to dead Traveller kids being OK with everyone to objects to Traveller criminality you're in your comfort zone.

• Advertisement

Did I explicitly say that I don't like "them"? You're filling in blanks to suit your own agenda, I'm not angry, I'm just unhappy at being misrepresented.
    You need to filter yourself a little before you press post.

But you don't accept the findings of groups tasked to find examples of discrimination and bigotry and resort to the "no no, they really deserve it" line. We can look back on your quotes, taking out the "but I empathise" stuff...
    I The council of Europe may feel they deserve a particular status but how many bureaucrats in Brussels have been victims of home invasions carried out by Traveller gangs in rural Ireland or had elderly relatives beaten to a pulp by the thuggish Travellers who involve themselves in these acts?
    The level of disconnection from the reality of this situation from people defending the rights of Travellers is notable.
    I'd love to say their reputation isn't warranted but sadly it is and then some, it will only change should they themselves make the decision to change, until then the current problems will only continue and escalate.

It's the exact same as someone referring to any ethnic group around the world that were subject to bigotry and discrimination and saying "but this lot don't deserve sympathy because they actually deserve their lot and all the groups that made findings are living in ivory towers.

As you like the "you have some neck" phrase, you have some neck backtracking and trying to pretend you are objective in the matter when you don't like them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement