Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular GAA opinion - MOD Note #426

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They don't have similar roles at all though. O'Shea grafts around the middle, turning over ball, winning it in the air, turning guys around, he will pop up with the odd score, but truth be told he is like a high-pressing no.6 than a no.11.
    Connolly plays pretty much completely as an orthodox forward, albeit with a very good work rate.

As for vincents, they have a very strong team, on their day though could put it up to some county teams. This single-handed all Ireland stuff is far fetched. Also, where was he at the weekend when they needed him? Id consider his performance in a loss to a complete outsider a far bigger indicator than a win in a game they were expected to win.

On the subject of vincents, and unpopular opinions, I think poor auld enda varley doesn't get half the credit he deserves for his performances for them.

O'Shea goes missing in the big games - has he ever scored in an All-Ireland final?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

blanch152 wrote: »
    O'Shea goes missing in the big games - has he ever scored in an All-Ireland final?

He left Mayo on the team coach for the AI Final in September, didn't make it to Croker, but ended up in Australia in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Bonniedog wrote: »
    No one in Dublin doubts how valuable Varley is to Vins, Great player.

Rathnew are never "complete outsiders." Wicklow clubs have very good record in club and it was always going to be a tough test.

Funny ive read a few reports from dublin papers and he gets little mention, despite scoring well and winning loads of ball. Id see him as a vital part of their team myself.

Vincents were 1-16 on... At one point in the game, rathnew were 60-1 for the win. Sound like the very definition of complete outsiders in fairness. How many 60-1 shots win the Derby?

Slattsy and blanch, exhibits a and b of the 'i hate aos because he fancies himself and my mot fancies him' brigade..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Slattsy and blanch, exhibits a and b of the 'i hate aos because he fancies himself and my mot fancies him' brigade..

:D

I'll be perfectly honest, I'm much, much better looking than that ugly mug. (If I do say so myself) But my superior good looks and charm are irrelevant.

Point from Blanchy still stands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Funny ive read a few reports from dublin papers and he gets little mention, despite scoring well and winning loads of ball. Id see him as a vital part of their team myself.

Vincents were 1-16 on... At one point in the game, rathnew were 60-1 for the win. Sound like the very definition of complete outsiders in fairness. How many 60-1 shots win the Derby?

That's why you can get good value at times on club games. Oddsmakers are not as clued in as people who watch club matches.

Varley gets plenty of mentions with regard to vinnies. Seem to recall a recent lengthy interview with him.

That's why you can get good value at times on club games. Oddsmakers are not as clued in as people who watch club matches.

Varley gets plenty of mentions with regard to vinnies. Seem to recall a recent lengthy interview with him.

So you watch Wicklow club matches?
    Ah stop will ya. Vincents are all Ireland winners and were clear favourites in the game. 1-16 on in fact. End of story.

As for varley, I'm only going off what I have seen. Very little mention in reports, and I have read many, while Tomas Quinn gets a great write up every time, despite all but a point coming from dead balls. I'm sure the vincents fans realise his worth to the side, but some journos seem to be a bit backward on the whole thing.

He does, as does Connolly. That is my point.

Ah stop will ya. Vincents are all Ireland winners and were clear favourites in the game. 1-16 on in fact. End of story.

As for varley, I'm only going off what I have seen. Very little mention in reports, and I have read many, while Tomas Quinn gets a great write up every time, despite all but a point coming from dead balls. I'm sure the vincents fans realise his worth to the side, but some journos seem to be a bit backward on the whole thing.

Anyone who knows about club football knows that Wicklow teams are almost always competitive. Especially at home. Anyone following Dublin football would know that Vinnies are on the down curve.

BTW, Varley was not part of Vinnies when they last won All Ireland and only got first team place last year. Connolly scored 2 - 5 all from play in 2013 final.

Wonder where the losing team was from :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so hard to say whether he is better looking than me.

On the other hand, I can say we are equal on points scored in an All-Ireland final.

• Advertisement

You are a bad fker blanch!

Anyone who knows about club football knows that Wicklow teams are almost always competitive. Especially at home. Anyone following Dublin football would know that Vinnies are on the down curve.

BTW, Varley was not part of Vinnies when they last won All Ireland and only got first team place last year. Connolly scored 2 - 5 all from play in 2013 final.

Wonder where the losing team was from :)

Anyone, except every bookie in the country obviously. :rolleyes:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so hard to say whether he is better looking than me.

On the other hand, I can say we are equal on points scored in an All-Ireland final.

He isn't really a scoring forward though. You have scored as many as Fitzsimons also, what does it prove?

Also, never said he was better looking than anyone, I said your mot fancies him. Although it's obvious she isn't the type that goes for personality!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

2 words after I had stated 2 words:

Ya after you edited it at 7.06 this morning:pac::pac:

and its still not 2:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

My other unpopular opinion. And going by threads and posts on here I must be in the minority...

I really don't care about Dublin and Mayo. I don't open threads in the hope that every single debate ends up as some sort of dick measuring competition on every single point. No matter what the discussion, it ends up back to Mayo and Dublin. It's obviously enjoyable for loads, but I'm not a fan of it at all and it makes the board quite tedious how every thing somehow gets shoe horned back to Mayo v Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

bruschi wrote: »
    My other unpopular opinion. And going by threads and posts on here I must be in the minority...

I really don't care about Dublin and Mayo. I don't open threads in the hope that every single debate ends up as some sort of dick measuring competition on every single point. No matter what the discussion, it ends up back to Mayo and Dublin. It's obviously enjoyable for loads, but I'm not a fan of it at all and it makes the board quite tedious how every thing somehow gets shoe horned back to Mayo v Dublin

+1

I find it really tiresome too,the same arguments recycled ad nauseam.

I agree. I agreed with several other posters on the point that connolly was over rated. I offered oshea as an example of a guy who has similar failings. The thread becomes about oshea. Some people are just fanboys for their own county.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I agree. I agreed with several other posters on the point that connolly was over rated. I offered oshea as an example of a guy who has similar failings. The thread becomes about oshea. Some people are just fanboys for their own county.

you didnt just write that did you! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

I really hope the absolute laughable irony was intended. Doubtful tho

I did, because it's true.
    You seem to think i cant be objective about my own county, but that isnt true. I have no problem giving my own county criticism, just as long as it is fair. The issue here is so much of it is spun to ridiculous levels that i take issue with that. For example, clarkes last kickout in the ai final. Was it a mistake? Yes of course. Did it cost them the game? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am a Dub that is starting to think that spitting Dublin in two might not be such a bad idea.

1) It will stop the culchies whinging
    2) A Northside v Southside All-Ireland final might not be the worst thing!

I draw the line at splitting Dublin in three though! :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,952 ✭✭✭Patser

I am a Dub that is starting to think that spitting Dublin in two might not be such a bad idea.

1) It will stop the culchies whinging
    2) A Northside v Southside All-Ireland final might not be the worst thing!

I draw the line at splitting Dublin in three though! :D

I'm a Dub and think combining some of the smaller counties to give them a better selection pool, while decreasing fixture congestion mightn't be a bad idea.

So for example Tipp and Waterford footballers, Clare and Limerick, Sligo and Leitrim, Down and Antrim - teams that with a slight boost might challenge for a provincial title while giving the real quality players in the tiny counties a chance at recognition too.

Counties that haven't won a provincial in a generation or so, so combining the likes of Louth, Westmeath, Longford, Wicklow, Kildare, Carlow, Wexford, Laois and Offaly (and if it wasn't for that freaky goal fest in 2010 Meath, oh and Kilkenny can shag right off) might provide a challenge.

Patser wrote: »
    I'm a Dub and think combining some of the smaller counties to give them a better selection pool, while decreasing fixture congestion mightn't be a bad idea.

So for example Tipp and Waterford footballers, Clare and Limerick, Sligo and Leitrim, Down and Antrim - teams that with a slight boost might challenge for a provincial title while giving the real quality players in the tiny counties a chance at recognition too.

Counties that haven't won a provincial in a generation or so, so combining the likes of Louth, Westmeath, Longford, Wicklow, Kildare, Carlow, Wexford, Laois and Offaly (and if it wasn't for that freaky goal fest in 2010 Meath, oh and Kilkenny can shag right off) might provide a challenge.

Id imagine the logical thing would be a combination of both. i.e. two dublin teams, sligo/leitrim, longford/westmeath, carlow/waterford/kilkenny, laois/offaly. In fairness that could probably be implemented in the morning too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

you simply cannot compare Dublin and Mayo

Mayo haven't won an AI

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Mayo haven't won an AI

As much as I admire your attempted troll and I love winding up the Mayo fans as much as anyone. That's just not true. Mayo have won the all Ireland.

Unlucky.

dobman88 wrote: »
    As much as I admire your attempted troll and I love winding up the Mayo fans as much as anyone. That's just not true. Mayo have won the all Ireland.

Unlucky.

I do enjoy jousting with MAM. Other Mayo posters like Seligheit - if I spelt that right! - are among the best posters on GAA forums.

Mayo are one of best teams of last 20 years. Fact that they keep coming back is admirable. Won't stop me screaming at AOS and Cillian, but I do admire them.

When they are all old men, like me!, they wont remember the medals or the defeats, they will recall that they crowed on a fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I do enjoy jousting with MAM. Other Mayo posters like Seligheit - if I spelt that right! - are among the best posters on GAA forums.

Mayo are one of best teams of last 20 years. Fact that they keep coming back is admirable. Won't stop me screaming at AOS and Cillian, but I do admire them.

When they are all old men, like me!, they wont remember the medals or the defeats, they will recall that they crowed on a fence.

Agree, I do constantly think they are a Nazi sympathizer due to misreading his or her username :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,203 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I was chatting a guy last Saturday, he happened to be a trainer for some Kildare club beaten in a final recently, or maybe it was beaten in a Leinster championship game, I don't know, I'm not from around here so it didn't register.

His words? "Rathnew are going to do them." He basically said that they were a shower of ***** and would be a damn tough nut to crack, and that Vincents were going to get a shock.

That was before the game, so is it really so hard to understand that people who knew both teams and who followed the competitions saw the result coming even if the bookies didn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,203 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There is many a club team caught out by that sort of thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

He does, as does Connolly. That is my point.
    Didnt Connolly come on at half time in the All Ireland and was the most influencal player in the second half and probably the reason they won, that is not going missing

Advertisement