Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Jesus that'd be great experience for him as a coach, might've be as well paid in France but much better rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Fecking Kiwis pilfering Irish coaches. First Ollie Jager and now this, have they no shame?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That'd be fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Bazzo wrote: »
    Fecking Kiwis pilfering Irish coaches. First Ollie Jager and now this, have they no shame?

Course not. I'd say another one of our citizens could be involved with their senior set up for the 2023 WC in "Not Ireland".
    Leave Uncle Joe alone.
    He's ours now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

I heard that Cronin is refusing to play until TOH gets picked.

#connachtsolidarity
    no he's moving back to Connacht next season and ignored because of that:P
    # Notarealprovince
    #SadlyIReadThat#ForReal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

connachta wrote: »
    # Notarealprovince
    #SadlyIReadThat#ForReal

So Aki, Dillane and Marmion to leinster it is. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Well if Zebo hasn't made up his mind where to go, that's knocked Racing 92 down a notch or two in his internal pros and cons list.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well if Zebo hasn't made up his mind where to go, that's knocked Racing 92 down a notch or two in his internal pros and cons list.

If they offer more money thats the only thing that matters really

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    If they offer more money thats the only thing that matters really
    If they were offering marginally less, ROG's presence there might have been enough to level them up. Likewise, his absence may drop them down the list.

• Advertisement

connachta wrote: »
    # Notarealprovince
    #SadlyIReadThat#ForReal

yeah they'll be poached as usual
    the only protection is Leinster/Munster having enough depth for now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

don't want any of them thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Any chance we could discuss the players actually selected?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Rob?

I think we're going to focus on getting possession in SA's half and keeping it there. Try to reduce set pieces as much as possible and try to build a lead to take them out of the game.

We should be fresher than them. So I reckon if we can do that we will win. But I don't think it will make for thrilling viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I am excited about the team but nervous about the result if that makes sense?

I also wouldn't mind a loss here. There is nothing more terrifying than watch an ABs team struggle and think to yourself "That team looks like they need about two years to gel" - Then glance at the Calendar.

If we're ever going to a lose a game it may as well be now. I am hoping we can get the ball into the hands of Stockdale and Conway to properly see what the lads can do. And I hope Carbs come on for Kearney not Sexton.

errlloyd wrote: »
    If we're ever going to a lose a game it may as well be now. I am hoping we can get the ball into the hands of Stockdale and Conway to properly see what the lads can do. And I hope Carbs come on for Kearney not Sexton.
    Not sure why you would hope for this. :confused:

Good tens are as rare as hen's teeth. Carbery has the makings of a great ten and needs to build up game time in that position for Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Clegg wrote: »
    Maybe. But it's suicidal to go into a game with no recognised back up at out half. If Jonny gets injured I can see Carbery coming on and one of Stockdale or Conway going to full back while Sweetnam goes to the wing.

Can't see this happening. If Johnny gets injured, why would we then have to substitute RK instead of just bringing Carberry straight on for Johnny? Also, we would want to retain some experience in the backline so keeping RK on the field makes sense.

molloyjh wrote: »

Rob?
    he's not "selected", anchored would be the proper term

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Not sure why you would hope for this. :confused:

Good tens are as rare as hen's teeth. Carbery has the makings of a great ten and needs to build up game time in that position for Ireland.

Probably selfishly just want to see two proper ballers on the field. You're right that he needs some ten experience, I wonder is the Fiji match going to be his?

• Advertisement

The result of this game will have a bearing on who gets the 2023 world cup so uncle joe better make sure he gets the result.

Eh, why?

On the left wing podcasts one of the journalists said that Carbery explicitly sees himself as a 10. He even himself pointed to B Barritt as the example he is following.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Wegians89

On the left wing podcasts one of the journalists said that Carbery explicitly sees himself as a 10. He even himself pointed to B Barritt as the example he is following.

Risky game play at 15 with Ross Byrne staking his claim at 10

• Registered Users Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

aloooof wrote: »
    Can't see this happening. If Johnny gets injured, why would we then have to substitute RK instead of just bringing Carberry straight on for Johnny? Also, we would want to retain some experience in the backline so keeping RK on the field makes sense.
    We were talking about Joe throwing on Carbery for Kearney. That If Sexton were to get injured it would lead to another reshuffle in the backline. Bette to keep Joey as the 22 only.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Risky game play at 15 with Ross Byrne staking his claim at 10

He is playing where he is picked.

He is much better off playing Champions Cup matches at 15 than benching at 10 imo.

I still maintain that, if Kearney was fit and Sexton injured, and we had a Champions Cup Semi Final tomorrow, Carbery would be picked at 10.

Honestly think it is just a case of Leo picking his best players on the pitch any way he can, and that means getting Carbery out there at 15 at the moment.

Clegg wrote: »
    We were talking about Joe throwing on Carbery for Kearney. That If Sexton were to get injured it would lead to another reshuffle in the backline. Bette to keep Joey as the 22 only.

Ah, fair enough then. I do wonder if one of Henshaw of Aki got injured who'd fill in at centre? Stockdale maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

He is much better off playing Champions Cup matches at 15 than benching at 10 imo.

I still maintain that, if Kearney was fit and Sexton injured, and we had a Champions Cup Semi Final tomorrow, Carbery would be picked at 10.

Honestly think it is just a case of Leo picking his best players on the pitch any way he can, and that means getting Carbery out there at 15 at the moment.

Goal kicking is the elephant in the room for JC
    Will be interesting to see how he goes when/if sexton goes off
    Has he taken any kicks this season at all?

Byrne and Carberry are two of our best prospects in the backs by a mile. So if the selection is based on getting our best players on the pitch any way they can. Surely that more likely means, in the longer term, picking both Byrne and Carberry, and Byrne only plays 10.

Byrne and Carberry are two of our best prospects in the backs by a mile. So if the selection is based on getting our best players on the pitch any way they can. Surely that more likely means, in the longer term, picking both Byrne and Carberry, and Byrne only plays 10.
    One benches and the other starts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

He could be a great 10 or 15.  personally if Jackson does come back Carbs should focus on 15.  It will be a problem area for us with Zebo gone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement