Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

There has to be looked into why the population has stagnated at 20k

maybe looking at the whole picture maybe other towns/cities have simply moved along with the times and have not had any objections when new places want to move in or new ideas need trying out or something out of the ordinary .

Other towns might have recreational places such as Bowling Alleys or other things and the like for families to do (I know there is a decent cinema in Sligo but still)

Other towns might have a good large (and i mean large ) shopping centre they might have chains like M&S , Iceland and other good stores, and a large TESCO, DUNNES, Penneys you know shops like that. - and decent retail parks where there are no conditions/being dictated to as to what they can and cannot sell

Who knows maybe thats why their population has grown because they have decent shops and facilities and public transport in those towns that people like these days then people flock to those towns and set up residency there/go to college there, retire there and over the years the population has risen, because people expect towns/cities to move along with the time and welcome in large stores (even if people complain about faceless large chains and wanting Sligo not to end up like every other town)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

There has to be looked into why the population has stagnated at 20k

maybe looking at the whole picture maybe other towns/cities have simply moved along with the times and have not had any objections when new places want to move in or new ideas need trying out or something out of the ordinary .

Other towns might have recreational places such as Bowling Alleys or other things and the like for families to do (I know there is a decent cinema in Sligo but still)

Other towns might have a good large (and i mean large ) shopping centre they might have chains like M&S , Iceland and other good stores, and a large TESCO, DUNNES, Penneys you know shops like that. - and decent retail parks where there are no conditions/being dictated to as to what they can and cannot sell

Who knows maybe thats why their population has grown because they have decent shops and facilities and public transport in those towns that people like these days then people flock to those towns and set up residency there/go to college there, retire there and over the years the population has risen, because people expect towns/cities to move along with the time and welcome in large stores (even if people complain about faceless large chains and wanting Sligo not to end up like very other town)

Jobs - There's no point having 40k people here if there's no-where for them to work.

We have seen major employers in the town and surrounds either close down or reduce staff since 2008 pretty much.
    Bowling alleys, Shopping centres, M&S that people keep whingeing about won't set up here if there isn't people to spend money in them.

We need a few more major multinationals to set up in the north west to give people a reason to live here.

Right now we're heavily reliant on tourism, we have some of the best tourism orientated companies in the country here, like Northwest Adventure Tours, Seatrails, Sligo Kayak tours, Strandhill surf school etc etc, and we're lucky to have what we have on our doorstep, but they'll not anchor a few hundred full time employees and all the supporting business at large companies bring.

We have to convince these large companies that 2.5hrs from both major ports and airports is not that much of an issue, and we have the infrastructure to support them.

Can't remember which Councillor said something to the tune of broadband not being and important prerequisite for FDI in Sligo, but to me it showed their complete lack of knowledge of how modern companies work. Where I work, all our systems are managed direct from Germany, if the connection goes down, we cannot work.

Saying that, I'd hate for any large multinational to come in at the detriment of the tourism industry in Sligo, we are so fortunate to have what we have, no M&S store and double population would make up for that being wiped out.

can you imagine big companies being setup and trying to entice people to live here in Sligo with the way the town centre is at the moment? - if they are all into pretty scenery, the wild atlantic way, surfing and everything else at the moment that is absolutely fine. - if the people they want to attract to work for them is a well serviced town wit good well known shops (chains) and good public transport, somewhere for the family to go (such as a bowling alley or other family entertainment) - then Sligo is not it at the moment . There are much more interesting well serviced places for people to settle. Even Carrick-on-shannon has more to offer than Sligo.

Could be catch 22 situation. Without the population, big companies might not be interested in setting up in sligo, and without sligo moving with the times and being stale in the way it has chosen to operate and be different from other towns it might be putting off people settling down here. I'm most probably wrong but I am Just putting another view on it and of course it all depends which kind of people you talk too. Maybe some of the younger generation would like Sligo town to be like other towns which have more to offer - and maybe some older people will be very happy that Sligo has not replicated the way other towns have gone. - but we must remember as well who is going to live the longest in that equation also and what kind of legacy the old set in their ways stick in the muds leave behind just because they want things left as they are :)

Companies set up based on infrastructure, quality of workforce, cost of labour and other costs, and tax breaks for the most part.
    Some of the particularly self conscious companies will also consider quality of life for their workforce, but this means cost of living & safety, availability of housing and education for their young so that they build a life here and stay with the company for the long haul.

No company will come to Sligo because we have a bowling alley.

Bring the multi nationals, then build the town around that.

There's no catch-22 situation here, if it doesn't make sense for companies to set up here then no amount of chain stores or public amenities will change that.

I know this, because I have visited large manufacturing plants in France and Germany, some of which were in towns where there isn't even a supermarket never mind a cinema or bowling alley.

They had a main motorway and rail line close by, cheap enough rates and a well trained workforce in place.

The workforce commuted from towns close by, which had grown due to the increase in population coming to work nearby.

Honestly, I've been critical of the chamber in the past for a lot of things, and the CoCo too, but to think a M&S and bowling alley are our saviors is ridiculous.

rizzodun wrote: »
    Companies set up based on infrastructure, quality of workforce, cost of labour and other costs, and tax breaks for the most part.
    Some of the particularly self conscious companies will also consider quality of life for their workforce, but this means cost of living & safety, availability of housing and education for their young so that they build a life here and stay with the company for the long haul.

No company will come to Sligo because we have a bowling alley.

Bring the multi nationals, then build the town around that.

There's no catch-22 situation here, if it doesn't make sense for companies to set up here then no amount of chain stores or public amenities will change that.

I know this, because I have visited large manufacturing plants in France and Germany, some of which were in towns where there isn't even a supermarket never mind a cinema or bowling alley.

They had a main motorway and rail line close by, cheap enough rates and a well trained workforce in place.

The workforce commuted from towns close by, which had grown due to the increase in population coming to work nearby.

Honestly, I've been critical of the chamber in the past for a lot of things, and the CoCo too, but to think a M&S and bowling alley are our saviors is ridiculous.

ah yeah, dont get me wrong I totally agree with all you are saying. You talk a lot of sense there. I didnt mean inclusively that a Bowling alley and an M&S store would bring more businesses and population to Sligo. Course not, it was just only the first couple of things Sligo havent got compared to some places that came into my head as an example. You need a full package, all those things you mentioned plus a bowling alley, M&S and a plethora of other good shops and entertainment for the family and youf to enjoy :D

Like the way you only plucked out and focused on M&S and bowling alley though :) - and thinking that I think this will be the only two things that will save the town and is badly needed for Sligo.

Anyone remember the Bowling Alley down by the Quays (I think it closed down in the 90's) that was great fun and cheap. When i have the urge i sometimes ngo up to the one up in Bundoran or theres one in Carrick on Shannon isnt there? (if its still there)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think Sligo’s problem is its perceived remoteness from Dublin, and the lack of a strong urban structure in the Northwest. Also, many large employers in the town have pulled out and closed down in the past 15 years - even during the so-called Celtic Tiger era. The infrastructure needs to be looked at - all the main urban centres in Ireland now have direct motorway connections to Dublin. Now, I’m not saying that a town of Sligo’s size needs a full motorway to Dublin, but a dual carriageway most of the way would certainly help.

Letterkenny, which has passed Sligo out in terms of growth and population, is even more remote from Dublin and doesn’t have a rail link but is doing pretty well. Why? Probably because of its proximity to Derry.

Waterford in the South East has not fared that well in the past 25 years economically and has grown very slowly, and has a motorway and rail link to Dublin so the reasons for Sligo’s stagnation are quite complex and multifaceted.

But one thing would certainly help - a well organized, proactive Chamber of Commerce and Council who would give Sligo the hard sell to potential investors who would create jobs and growth. Also politicians - especially TDs who would have influence and clout in the current government.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    ..... Now, I’m not saying that a town of Sligo’s size needs a full motorway to Dublin, but a dual carriageway most of the way would certainly help......

It would help but its still not good enough. We are worthy of a full spec motorway with 120kmh max speed limit, no roundabouts, no traffic lights, flat straight road - no bends or gradients

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

It would help but its still not good enough. We are worthy of a full spec motorway with 120kmh max speed limit, no roundabouts, no traffic lights, flat straight road - no bends or gradients

Not again Andy!!

:P

Up the limit to 120 certainly on the current HQDC. DCs to Longford, and Motorway from there to the existing M4. The traffic volumes are not there inbetween both sides of the Island, especially around the midlands. Also, not sure I would want to share a road doing 120 all the way with some drivers around here, who struggle on 80-100 national roads as it is.

We are not really that remote from Dublin. Can currently be done in about 2 1/2hrs by road, compared to 3 on the train, or in the case last week, 4!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I don’t think so. Sligo is not a major urban centre and the AADT on the N4 really wouldn’t justify a motorway. A dual carriageway as far as Longford, a Carrick On Shannon Bypass and the pending upgrade of the section from Castlebaldwin to Colooney should be more than adequate for now.

Better connections to Galway along the Atlantic Corridor route would help too. The new M17 to Tuam is now open, but the N17 in sections north of Tuam and especially between Charlestown and Colooney are atrocious and unfit for purpose and urgently need upgrading.

But Sligo needs to sell itself to external FDI harder. What are the IDA doing to attract investment into the North West?

JupiterKid wrote: »

But Sligo needs to sell itself to external FDI harder. What are the IDA doing to attract investment into the North West?

They've built a 2900 sq mtr Manufacturing facilty in Finisklin, with (two I think) more greenfield sites available in the business park, and are actively looking for someone to fill the now-vacant Elanco manufacturing facility.

I also believe Sligo CoCo drafted and sent Simon Coveney a document outlining what Sligo has to offer to FDI earlier this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

They've built a 2900 sq mtr Manufacturing facilty in Finisklin, with (two I think) more greenfield sites available in the business park, and are actively looking for someone to fill the now-vacant Elanco manufacturing facility.

I also believe Sligo CoCo drafted and sent Simon Coveney a document outlining what Sligo has to offer to FDI earlier this year.

Let's hope he treats it with the same urgency as his homeless brief when he had it. NOT.

how can you realistically push companies to set up in Sligo when there is no proper motorway - especially if said company(s) relies on transport/logistics etc

you can only legally go 120km/h on a motorway - if they set up a dual carriageway it will just be 100km/h - you will get to and from dublin quicker if you drive 120km/h (or most of the way) rather than 100km/h - plus on a motorway you can get rid of the tractors/bicycles/ learner drivers/horse and carts :D

but there you go thats what i think - build it and they will come thats what i say - sure of course we havent got the volume to sustain a motorway at the moment but i believe if one was built the volume of traffic would go up to justify it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Should we not have a "Motorways opening/re-opening soon" thread ?

red sean wrote: »
    Should we not have a "Motorways opening/re-opening soon" thread ?

It'd be fairly light on posts, unless we allow pipe dreams to reside there of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

how can you realistically push companies to set up in Sligo when there is no proper motorway - especially if said company(s) relies on transport/logistics etc

you can only legally go 120km/h on a motorway - if they set up a dual carriageway it will just be 100km/h - you will get to and from dublin quicker if you drive 120km/h (or most of the way) rather than 100km/h - plus on a motorway you can get rid of the tractors/bicycles/ learner drivers/horse and carts :D

but there you go thats what i think - build it and they will come thats what i say - sure of course we havent got the volume to sustain a motorway at the moment but i believe if one was built the volume of traffic would go up to justify it

HGV's don't travel at 120kph!

HGV's don't travel at 120kph!

Fair point well made :)

On the subject what is (or supposed to be) the max speed a hgv can do on a motorway in ireland?

It'd be fairly light on posts, unless we allow pipe dreams to reside there of course.

In 2030 it could start picking up momentum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭johnire

Folks...can we get this forum back on track?
    Discussions like these should really be in the General Chit Chat one.
    Thanks.

johnire wrote: »
    Folks...can we get this forum back on track?
    Discussions like these should really be in the General Chit Chat one.
    Thanks.

Ok, sorry will do..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭johnire

No worries.... it’s just that every time I saw a new post I was getting excited that somewhere new was opening!!!!
    Ok, sorry will do..

• Advertisement

shame there no thread for 'Stores you would like to see opening in Sligo' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Applegreen has opened where McCormack's was in Carraroe, not sure if that was mentioned already.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Mattress Maid where the blind shop use to be looks well and quirky!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Vlove wrote: »
    Mattress Maid where the blind shop use to be looks well and quirky!

Isn't Mattress Maid next door, or a couple doors down from Narins Blinds?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    No where narins used to be.

Mint Sauce wrote: »

I thought the blind shop was closed because where Mattress Maid is, it was there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Mint Sauce wrote:
    Isn't Mattress Maid next door, or a couple doors down for Narins Blinds?

I think it's where Nairns was. I was wondering where they had moved to.

another furniture shop is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

another furniture shop is it?

Was in it the other day for a nose.. Its got a little bit of everything - kinda completely random! beds, lockers, cool chairs/ footrests then all that tatt you get in the likes of the back section of Cannings - picture frames, vases, baby stuff, fake flowers..

• Advertisement

mcgiggles wrote: »
    Was in it the other day for a nose.. Its got a little bit of everything - kinda completely random! beds, lockers, cool chairs/ footrests then all that tatt you get in the likes of the back section of Cannings - picture frames, vases, baby stuff, fake flowers..

Yeah it does sound a mix of Cannings and Homestore & more. I thought Mattress Maid was a laundry service by the way it looks.

Advertisement