Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    is the ice rink being run by the same guy who did it down in Ballast Quay last year?
    Yep, pretty sure it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    is the ice rink being run by the same guy who did it down in Ballast Quay last year?

Yes, he is doing it all there. A nephew of mine is having a ghost birthday party there very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    ya get rid of stephen strret car park...and where exactly would you park the cars that regularly use it? there hardly any parking in sligo as it is without getting rid of one.

There's easily enough free spaces in Connaughton Road to take the cars from Stephen's st car park, and it's only 3 or 4 minutes walk futher.
    Although, judging by the way people moan about having to go up there it might was well be outer Mongolia.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

rizzodun wrote: »
    There's easily enough free spaces in Connaughton Road to take the cars from Stephen's st car park, and it's only 3 or 4 minutes walk futher.
    Although, judging by the way people moan about having to go up there it might was well be outer Mongolia.

There's also The Mall car park which is usually half empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Walk! ? - rain?, wind? beggars? - how comes other towns can have decent size car parks near to the shops but Sligo have decided to have car parks dotted here there and everywhere? (and some of them away from the shops)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Probably because not all towns are identical :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Walk! ? - rain?, wind? beggars? - how comes other towns can have decent size car parks near to the shops but Sligo have decided to have car parks dotted here there and everywhere? (and some of them away from the shops)

Glass House and Quayside are as Town Centre as Wine Street, same rate per hour, and no max stay.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Glass House and Quayside are as Town Centre as Wine Street, same rate per hour, and no max stay.

yeah, but i was going on about walking up to the model carpark/the mall carpark from where all the shops are located...

yeah, but i was going on about walking up to the model carpark/the mall carpark from where all the shops are located...

Ah jaysus, if you lived in Dublin or Limerick you'd be walking a hell of a lot further if parking close to the city centre.

Rain? Wind? Wear a coat.

Connaughton is town centre, just Sligo is full of people too lazy to walk a short distance.
    It's 600m from the car park to O'Connell st.

Try parking closer to town centres in Dublin, Cork or Limerick and as easily and cheaply too.

I can't believe we would rather not have an something like what's being set up in Stephen St. because people can't walk 600m.
    All 30 of them, for the car parking spaces lost.

Ah jaysus, if you lived in Dublin or Limerick you'd be walking a hell of a lot further if parking close to the city centre.

Rain? Wind? Wear a coat.

Connaughton is town centre, just Sligo is full of people too lazy to walk a short distance.
    It's 600m from the car park to O'Connell st.

Try parking closer to town centres in Dublin, Cork or Limerick and as easily and cheaply too.

I can't believe we would rather not have an something like what's being set up in Stephen St. because people can't walk 600m.
    All 30 of them, for the car parking spaces lost.

um but its all hypothetical because we dont! .. and i personally wouldnt want to either ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭T-Bird

So you park your car in town to do a bit of shopping. Your agenda today is a visit to Tesco, Easons, Argos, Currys/PC World and then meet up with friends in SuperMacs... :P

um but its all hypothetical because we dont! .. and i personally wouldnt want to either ...

So, then count yourself lucky you get to park for a cheap rate in a public carpark that's relatively easy to access, a short stroll from the shops and you can park knowing when you come back to your car all the windows will still be intact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Mint Sauce wrote: »

Exactly. The Glasshole carpark is just as close to Stephen St. carpark as the mall one and has plenty of spaces most of the time.

People are crying out for more fast food establishments in the centre of town when there's more than enough and for more parking when there's plenty.

You can only please some of the people, some of the time.

T-Bird wrote: »
    So you park your car in town to do a bit of shopping. Your agenda today is a visit to Tesco, Easons, Argos, Currys/PC World and then meet up with friends in SuperMacs... :P

that just shows you how badly Sligo town is laid out - its all over the place - Tesco and Eason are the only places near to each other - its one thing not having all towns identical .. its another thing where the shops aren't properly planned and near to each other - yeah, sligo is surprising for sure! , especially for visitors in the town who want to walk to Tesco, Easons, then to Argos, then Currys/PC World and then meet up with friends in SuperMacs

mewe wrote: »
    Exactly. The Glasshole carpark is just as close to Stephen St. carpark as the mall one and has plenty of spaces most of the time.

People are crying out for more fast food establishments in the centre of town when there's more than enough and for more parking when there's plenty.

You can only please some of the people, some of the time.

Run by me what (globally well known around the world) fast food restaurant have we got in the Town Centre? (and when I say Town Centre I mean in walking distance of O'connell Street - the main street in the centre of town)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Plus 1 on the Mall car park. It suits me for getting home. Up past the hospital, across Ash Lane and out the Bundoran Rd. These days with the roadworks near Berties I go out the Manorhamilton Rd, Drom Rd, turn right in Rathcormack and home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

so as long as there’s cheap cafes, McDonald’s and roof over O’Connell street you will be happy...

shanec1928 wrote: »
    so as long as there’s cheap cafes, McDonald’s and roof over O’Connell street you will be happy...

I am happy!, lets face it i like living in sligo on the whole because of what sligo has to offer and the lifestyle of living here and the people (most of the people lol) , i dont stay because of the town centre.

God if sligo didnt have the attraction of beautiful scenery, fresh air, slower pace of life amongst other things and i had to rely on the town centre alone (ie if that was the only reason i had to live here because of the town/shopping ) i would have cleared off ages ago because on the whole compared to other towns (some near by) the town centre is the crap part of sligo.

Sorry but it is. Its dire with narrow streets to drive down, the parking is terrible, the delivery lorrys delivering throughout the day is a pain because most shops dont have a service entrance to park, the main street is not pedestrianised , the roads are chock ablock with traffic most of the day, still some shops shutting for lunch, one retail park in the town is not easy to get to by foot, the other retail park is stifled to what it is allowed to sell and not sell, the quayside most of it is empty units, to get from one end of quayside to other you have to walk through next, penneys although recently refurbished , theres a better bigger one in Ballina, if you like shoe shops, clothes shops, cafe's there are plethora of them but not a main well known establishment like McDonald's or burger king or subway actually in the town centre, a pathetic tesco store and dunnes stores compared to other towns which i presume tesco, penneys and dunnes are anchor stores to drawer people to the town in themselves? If they are rubbish to start off with , then what hope is there

<breathe> sorry to rant and i know a lot of people dont want to see sligo end up like just like every other faceless towns with big uk chains in it but why do you think other towns welcome those shops in, because it draws more people into the town to do shopping and everyone wins.

The towns like that actually has shops people know and want to go to and are busy mist of the time all throughout the day and then you can walk around sligo and see shops reguarly empty with sometimes more staff in the shops than customers, thats because there is nothing to draw people to shop in sligo town like the shops have in other towns to draw people to them.

As much as i like to spend money locally in the shops in Sligo its only convenient , and if there is a trip to another town( hell even if its ballina or castlebar which i find better) i would much rather shop there instead.

Thats just not right , i should be making my own home town the one i go shopping in as first choice so that it wouldnt even be attractive to shop somewhere else, but because of sligo town being stuck in the dark ages when compared to other towns and not moving with the times , and people not welcoming large chain stores like other towns, or lodging complaints to planning permissions , or a stupid plan that says what a retail park can and cannot sell and greedy high rent and rates wanted for such a small town with a small population then nothing is going to change.

Sligo needs a decent music store too, like Golden Discs or Head. Vinyl is on a resurge in popularity so physical music has a market!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Sligo needs a decent music store too, like Golden Discs or Head. Vinyl is on a resurge in popularity so physical music has a market!

havent been in there for yonks personally but whats the big record shop like up in castle street there - do they still sell vinyl?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

zorro2566 wrote: »

Liber is the place to go for vinyl. Brian will sort you out with whatever you're looking for and has a large selection in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

Meanwhile, opening in Rockwood Parade where Casa Mia was, is Hooked restaurant and they are hiring now.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Hunts out in castlebaldwin has work going on at it.some one must be opening it again prob apple green there every where now.
    Good to see it open sorely missed

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

sligono1 wrote: »
    Hunts out in castlebaldwin has work going on at it.some one must be opening it again prob apple green there every where now.
    Good to see it open sorely missed

That was part of the McCormack group too. Someone must have bought a job lot.

They only leased the premises

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Yeab. Its going to an Applegreen, the Forecourt at least anyway.

;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think a problem with the lack of big name chain stores in Sligo is that the local economy is not really thriving, thus limited spending power in the town. Also issues with a lack of suitable large units and planning issues.

Sligo has not grown in the past 20 years - its population has remained stagnant at 20k and given that Ireland has grown from 3.6 to 4.7 million in that period, this is really very poor. Letterkenny has passed it out in terms of size. If good strategic planning was in place, Sligo would have 35-40k population by now but that just hasn't happened.

A lot of missed opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I think a problem with the lack of big name chain stores in Sligo is that the local economy is not really thriving, thus limited spending power in the town. Also issues with a lack of suitable large units and planning issues.

Sligo has not grown in the past 20 years - its population has remained stagnant at 20k and given that Ireland has grown from 3.6 to 4.7 million in that period, this is really very poor. Letterkenny has passed it out in terms of size. If good strategic planning was in place, Sligo would have 35-40k population by now but that just hasn't happened.

A lot of missed opportunities.

Couldn't agree more. We have a first class IT with an increasing number of students, yet we have a poor planning policy, a dire chamber of commerce and the same few old heads calling the shots.

I do think between the chamber and a few business men they have Sligo strangled will not let anything in.

• Advertisement

sligoblue wrote: »
    .... same few old heads calling the shots.
    sligono1 wrote: »
    I do think between the chamber and a few business men they have Sligo strangled will not let anything in.

yep - also got when something is up for planning permission in sligo sometimes , people actually out of the area , not even residing in Sligo or not connected to Sligo, stopping planning permission of something ... thats got to stop that carry on!

Advertisement