Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

My week:

Last Sunday: rest after HM

Monday: 2-3m easy or rest - chose the run, 3.87km @ 7:35 - felt tough on tired legs, possibly the toughest of the week, despite it being the shortest!

Tuesday - 7 mile easy - 11.35km @ 7:33

Wednesday - Cross - but rested in preparation for ...

Thursday - 14 mile LSR - 22.87km @ 7:48, felt tough, three weeks ago I felt I'd a *bit* left in the tank after the 16 mile, but I felt fairly expunged of energy after this one, though happy to complete it running after having to stop to walk at the HM.

Friday - 4 mile easy - 6.21km @ 7:42

Saturday - 3 mile easy - Parkrun, didn't push myself too much, keeping the main thing the main thing, came in 32:31.

Sunday - plan to rest

Total for the week: 49.30km.

I'm fairly apprehensive about next week's 20 mile!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

2nd 20 mile LSR done. Those last 6 miles are going to be a mental battle.

Just back from my first one. Holy moly it was tough, felt a little light headed after only 2km, took a gel which sorted it out but my head wasn't right for the rest of it.

I'm normally in bed before 10pm the night before an LSR and never usually drink. We had a couple of glasses of wine last night, and I got to sleep a little after midnight, so I wasn't 100% setting off. I was actually dreading it a little, which is never usually the case.

That mindframe made it incredibly tough. Had to stop a couple of times to do a few quick squats, have never needed to do that before.

The little patch of sunlit grass that I earmarked for my collapse in a heap finish was the most beautiful inanimate thing I'd ever set eyes on.

If it was easy we'd have nothing to brag about huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Well done on the 20 milers- I'm due to do my 2nd 20 miler tomorrow. Hope it goes as well as the first- have had some problems with my calves over the past few weeks so haven't had many midweek runs.have been getting the lsrs in so hopefully these will stand to me

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Lazare wrote: »
    Just back from my first one. Holy moly it was tough, felt a little light headed after only 2km, took a gel which sorted it out but my head wasn't right for the rest of it.

I'm normally in bed before 10pm the night before an LSR and never usually drink. We had a couple of glasses of wine last night, and I got to sleep a little after midnight, so I wasn't 100% setting off. I was actually dreading it a little, which is never usually the case.

That mindframe made it incredibly tough. Had to stop a couple of times to do a few quick squats, have never needed to do that before.

The little patch of sunlit grass that I earmarked for my collapse in a heap finish was the most beautiful inanimate thing I'd ever set eyes on.

If it was easy we'd have nothing to brag about huh?

The tough runs are the ones that will stick to us. You still dug it out Lazare.

Huge respect for your dedication. New baby and family to look after and you're still nailing these runs. Inspirational stuff. I'm barely staying on top of the plan and i don't have that responsibility and need all the help i can get from my folks.

Keep going. We are nearly there!

The tough runs are the ones that will stick to us. You still dug it out Lazare.

Huge respect for your dedication. New baby and family to look after and you're still nailing these runs. Inspirational stuff. I'm barely staying on top of the plan and i don't have that responsibility and need all the help i can get from my folks.

Keep going. We are nearly there!

Ah cheers dude.

My wife is awesome, she's really behind me with this and fully supportive. I think we both see the big picture, and that a fit and healthy me is a huge asset to our little family.

Especially given I was a wreck healthwise only three short years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Well done all , this is getting tiring not sure I could do many more weeks of LSR's , don't find them exceptionally hard just boring , I really enjoy the easy hour I do running and have certainly found a new love for running but LSR's I'll be glad to see the back of.

Week 13

Monday - 5 mile easy recovery from half marathon
    Tuesday - 2 x 5mile at 3.10 marathon pace , tough session but too fast for me for marathon , 3:20 pacers it will be (21km total)
    Wednesday - Rest ( too wet to run to work)
    Thursday - jog to Sean Moore park for 12 x 400m intervals mostly around 84-85 seconds (felt harder than usual)
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 20mile long run , 17miles to Parkrun then straight into it , settled into a decent pace and started to pick people off , when I got close to the front ended up pushing harder than I intended 2nd place 21:24 not bad after a long run on a tough course. 20miles @ 5min average pace. Can't decide on doing a 22miler next week or leaving it at another 20 mile run , would like to at least be on my feet for 3 hours.
    Sunday- Rest of recovery run .

Will be my highest mileage week ever if I run tomorrow. Finish line is in sight now guys well done to everyone on the running I see some people on the strava group out for 4 hour long runs , thats just awesome dedication. Hopefully no new injuries for anyone and any one with niggles they clear up, hay is probably in the barn now so even if an injury comes at this late stage a week totally off may not effect your marathon.

My wife is awesome, she's really behind me with this and fully supportive.

My wife is complete opposite :D She thinks running for 3 hours is ridiculous , if I say I'm going for a run she says you can't seriously be running again you only ran yesterday! If I complain about niggles or say I'm tired she will say its your own fault I told you you were running too much! She's got a point I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

2nd 20 mile LSR done. Those last 6 miles are going to be a mental battle.

I hear you. Just finished my 20m LSR with a 5 mile 'fast' finish to find my wife hadn't left the keys in the secret hiding place as planned, meaning an extra 2.5m run to pick them up. I went bleedin mental....😩ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Andy31

Did my first 20m LSR. Got up to 17.5m last time, so this is the longest I've ever run. Actually i did 21m - felt Ok! Still very nervous about those last 6 miles on race day!!! I thought Wed of this week was the hardest run I've had to do yet - weather was miserable - wet and windy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Well done to everyone on the long runs. I'm jealous of the day ye got. I'll have to do mine tomorrow and it looks like being a wet one in the morning :-((

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

leesider77 wrote: »
    DNF my LSR today. Not unexpected due to my sore ankle but feel absolutely miserable all the same. Hope a good nights sleep helps but so depressed about it right now. Lots of travel over next few weeks so running out of windows to get these runs in :-(

I hope you're feeling better today
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Well done to everyone on the long runs. I'm jealous of the day ye got. I'll have to do mine tomorrow and it looks like being a wet one in the morning :-((

same here, we have to do ours tomorrow but 14miles next week its 20miles

Baby75 wrote: »
    same here, we have to do ours tomorrow but 14miles next week its 20miles

That's a big jump. What is the previous longest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

skyblue46 wrote: »
    That's a big jump. What is the previous longest?

it was meant to be 16 miles but I took part in an adventure race 64km took me 4hrs 30 minutes I was slow but DCM is more important :) I am happy that at least I can keep going that long as DCM will take me the same time if not more

I am following the HHN1 plan, It has crossed my mind, should I have run the 16 miles before attempting the 20miles as otherwise, my longest run is 15miles :confused:

Baby75 wrote: »
    it was meant to be 16 miles but I took part in an adventure race 64km took me 4hrs 30 minutes I was slow but DCM is more important :) I am happy that at least I can keep going that long as DCM will take me the same time if not more

I am following the HHN1 plan, It has crossed my mind, should I have run the 16 miles before attempting the 20miles as otherwise, my longest run is 15miles :confused:

Ah you have plenty of miles in the legs to be able to tackle it. Keep the pace conservative I'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done on all the long runs. I attempted 22 miles but got a stitch or some sort of pain in the last 5km so had to walk quite a bit as every time I ran it came back. Hope that never happens again. It was a wet morning and my first time setting off in the dark too but I wasn’t the only lunatic out at that time :-) The female winner of Cork marathon bounded past me just as I was starting out. I’m disappointed I didn’t get to run it all as I really wanted to do it just for my own head really. Thank god next Saturday is the last 6am start. I’m dying for the last two saturdays with ‘short’ runs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Woke up this morning, not feeling great.
    Attempted the 20 mile but had to call it a day after 16 miles. Calves has seized up and I struggled to walk home.
    Anyway, I've the full blown flu now! Will attempt the 20 miles again this Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

leesider77 wrote: »
    DNF my LSR today. Not unexpected due to my sore ankle but feel absolutely miserable all the same. Hope a good nights sleep helps but so depressed about it right now. Lots of travel over next few weeks so running out of windows to get these runs in :-(

Hope your ankle feels better today leesider, maybe the forced traveling rest might be a blessing in disguise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Not wanting discourage anyone, but this tilt at the DCM (my 3rd marathon in total) has just made me realise that I do not like running long distances. Mentally 14, 16, 20 miles as a training run just drives me insane with boredom. I cannot 'hack it'. This week have had a lingering 'common cold' and I wonder was it my body making sure it got a break ?. Look the marathon itself might be very different, there'll be a buzz and it might just be fantastic. But there's no reason ever for me to run a marathon again because I've realised that I'm simply not a long distance runner,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

Doing Cork to Cobh tomorrow which is a 15 mile race. Would I be best use it as an opportunity to do a long run at my planned marathon pace or should I just race it? Unsure of what to do

Oh don't worry you won't discourage us. We're a bunch of innocent novice runners chasing our little dream and we'll get there with the help of some willpower and the advice of other good established runners who offer nothing but assistance and encouragement.

I'm sorry that you are hating something so much. Sounds like you should stay with shorter races?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

deisedude wrote: »
    Doing Cork to Cobh tomorrow which is a 15 mile race. Would I be best use it as an opportunity to do a long run at my planned marathon pace or should I just race it? Unsure of what to do

No advice really but good luck. I would think you could do a warm up of a few mi,es first and then run it at marathon pace? Can’t do it myself but interested to hear about it after.
    Spirogyra wrote: »
    Not wanting discourage anyone, but this tilt at the DCM (my 3rd marathon in total) has just made me realise that I do not like running long distances. Mentally 14, 16, 20 miles as a training run just drives me insane with boredom. I cannot 'hack it'. This week have had a lingering 'common cold' and I wonder was it my body making sure it got a break ?. Look the marathon itself might be very different, there'll be a buzz and it might just be fantastic. But there's no reason ever for me to run a marathon again because I've realised that I'm simply not a long distance runner,

They are definitely tough. I listen to podcasts and quite enjoy the time to listen to something with no interruptions
    Woke up this morning, not feeling great.
    Attempted the 20 mile but had to call it a day after 16 miles. Calves has seized up and I struggled to walk home.
    Anyway, I've the full blown flu now! Will attempt the 20 miles again this Friday.

Get better soon. At least still 4 weeks to go so plenty time to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

deisedude wrote:

Kellygirl wrote:
    No advice really but good luck. I would think you could do a warm up of a few mi,es first and then run it at marathon pace? Can’t do it myself but interested to hear about it after.

A lot of people do it at MP, but Kellygirl's comment is spot on I think.
    Just so you know - there are no trains running from Cobh tomorrow but there is a replacment bus service. I reckon those buses will be very crowded - 50 or so on Bus v 200 on a train. Good luck with the run and mind the hills in the last couple of miles as you approach Cobh!

Spirogyra wrote: »

If you could run with people it would make it easier. Most clubs organise group long runs on Saturday and Sunday mornings and cater for people of all paces. I'd imagine most clubs would have no bother with people joining in on their run

I've done long runs on my own and with people in this training cycle and while it's still hard it's so much easier when you have peope to talk to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

what's your longest MP run so far?

El Caballo wrote: »
    what's your longest MP run so far?

I have done a 20 mile run last week where the second 10 would have been MP

I have done a 20 mile run last week where the second 10 would have been MP

Great workout!

Great workout!

Not going to lie. Had to take an hour long nap after!

Not going to lie. Had to take an hour long nap after!

Nothing wrong with plugging the charger in for a while.

They're a rare thing but naps are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Will be my highest mileage week ever if I run tomorrow. Finish line is in sight now guys well done to everyone on the running I see some people on the strava group out for 4 hour long runs , thats just awesome dedication. Hopefully no new injuries for anyone and any one with niggles they clear up, hay is probably in the barn now so even if an injury comes at this late stage a week totally off may not effect your marathon.

Another savage long run, well done. I'm not sure I could ever do an aggressive parkrun the way you did after 17 miles or so.

Regarding the 22 miles/time on feet conundrum, I found them useful when I did them. Worst case you won't be wrecking your own head about them. If you're still doing the 3/4 next week, then do a couple of miles warmup, followed by the 3/4 marathon (not killing yourself! do it at 3:25 pace or a mix of paces) and a mile or two afterwards and that'll get you the 22.

• Advertisement

Singer wrote: »
    Another savage long run, well done. I'm not sure I could ever do an aggressive parkrun the way you did after 17 miles or so.

Regarding the 22 miles/time on feet conundrum, I found them useful when I did them. Worst case you won't be wrecking your own head about them. If you're still doing the 3/4 next week, then do a couple of miles warmup, followed by the 3/4 marathon (not killing yourself! do it at 3:25 pace or a mix of paces) and a mile or two afterwards and that'll get you the 22.

Cheers B , I'm hoping hitting that hill in River Valley at 18 and 20 miles stands to me for the 20 mile hill I think there is at the marathon.

TBH and I know this statement will probably come back and bite me bad but I was fresh enough at the end of the 20 miles and certainly felt like I could of ran a fast 10k at the end, maybe El Caballo post has me over cautious and that wall will never come (he says hopefully!)

I may not make the 3/4 marathon have a family event that day , I might split the difference and run 21 next week and finish again with a hard Parkrun , I know this wall is supposed to be sudden but at the moment its hard to imagine it happening given how I've felt both times I've got to 20miles.

Advertisement