Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Sorry been busy with work the last few days just catching up on the thread now. Just to say i should be around for the LSR catch up on Saturday week in the park.

Anyone else knackered this week? I feel very tired at the start of my runs. Then get some energy a few miles in before fading at the end. Is this just accumulated fatigue or bad nutrition and lack of rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Hi guys. Posted on main forum but just to note it is looking more likely there will be a rail strike on the October bank holiday weekend. Anyone planning to travel by train may need to start looking at alternative arrangements in case

Eek; i guess that applies to DART.

Does the DCM usually have a good volume of specific bike parking facilities or is it just 'find a spot anywhere' type of scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

News from the physio. Was in again this morning. Basically she's made up a running plan for me. I can still do my intervals and tempo on Tuesday & Thursday but other days it's the crosstrainer.

LSR will slowly build me up to 22km the week before the big day. She reckons I should be fine with the crosstrainer and good for marathon, albeit it'll be tougher nearer the end. One lads in office a big runner and he says he agrees

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Good stuff BBM - all systems go for the next 4 weeks so

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

quickbeam wrote: »
    Even for us slow coaches? ie, those well past the five hour mark?

I was on the 5 hr mark and it was grand so assuming it's the same as last year and there would be no reason to expect otherwise it should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

D3PO wrote: »
    :eek: I cant even begin to comprehend the mechanics of this :P
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    I can't even begin to comprehend the mental images you're seeing as you try to comprehend the mechanics of it! :-p

I'm in fits of giggle thanks for that I needed a laugh today :D:D:D:D:D some hell of a morning

Its the done thing ;) a few ladies had the small bottles hidden down bra in the middle ;):D:D you have to watch for chafing maybe though :D

Dammit about the trains

brownbinman that is brilliant good luck over the next 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

I've been trying out tailwind on some LSR's and at the HM on Saturday. I get a bit geeky about this type of thing and I've been testing this method

10dz586.jpg

Got the fat straws from Tiger. 2 straws hold 1 scoop (100 calories/25g carbs etc.). Sealed each straw at one end with tape (electrical tape) then fold over top and tape, doubling over the tape to easily remove. The 2 straws then fit in the top of the 250ml bottles to empty without spilling.

As I said, a little geeky, but it has been working.

Great idea, how many of theses would you be planning to take on marathon day? Would one scoop at each water station be enough? I was thinking I might get some, I’ve never had a problem with the gels stomach wise but I am getting a bit sick of the sweetness

Baby75 wrote: »
    I'm in fits of giggle thanks for that I needed a laugh today :D:D:D:D:D some hell of a morning

Its the done thing ;) a few ladies had the small bottles hidden down bra in the middle ;):D:D you have to watch for chafing maybe though :D

Love this idea Baby75 :D:D

Great idea, how many of theses would you be planning to take on marathon day? Would one scoop at each water station be enough? I was thinking I might get some, I’ve never had a problem with the gels stomach wise but I am getting a bit sick of the sweetness

http://www.tailwindnutrition.co.uk/TWSTK.html from website on sachets Usage:

Tailwind was originally sold in tubs with a serving scoop that measured 100 calories and this was nominated as 1 serving. In practice most users would put 2 scoops in a drinks bottle so the 2 serving stickpack was developed for easier refuelling on the move.

Each 2 serving stick pack contains 200 calories. Mix contents with 20-24oz (500-700ml)of cool, clean water. Give it a shake or two, and go! Sip regularly for steady energy, electrolytes, and hydration. For longer efforts, try our medium (30 serving) and large (50 serving) sizes.

I normally have 1 litre in my hydration pack and I never finish it all, for DCM I say I will though, I just sip little and often and it keeps's you feeling good. I'm going to try the flavoured one with caffeine this weekend on the LSR

BrownEyes79 :D handy pocket eh LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

To follow the "sip little and often" mantra I'm planning to take 6-7 servings with me and add to bottles at the 3, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19 mile water stations. Depending on how I'm feeling I'll then probably mix another at the 21 mile station and carry it to start sipping around 23 miles.

You only have a few weeks left to test this and probably only 2 more long runs? I'd recommend testing at least once that you can take it (and mix it) over a long run. Last thing you want to do on the big day is to try something new.

You also need to work out how to carry them. I'll be using my flipbelt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Is there anywhere to park near the start/finish line on The Day?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Kmagic wrote: »
    I started HHN1 earlier with KK in mind so I'm exactly on plan. Ive done every week as prescribed, with a 5 day break due to injury. All LSRs done as per plan.

Just realised this has passed (16th September) - how'd you get on KMagic? Reports, we want reports!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Tonight's run will have to be skipped, although it's only a 4 miler I've a new niggle after popping up in a different part of my knee. Gonna RICE it for today and tomorrow and hopefully be alright for Saturdays LSR. One thing after another..

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Tonight's run will have to be skipped, although it's only a 4 miler I've a new niggle after popping up in a different part of my knee. Gonna RICE it for today and tomorrow and hopefully be alright for Saturdays LSR. One thing after another..

Hang in there, hopefully, it is gone tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Damo 2k9 wrote: »

I know the feeling......
    I sat down on the bed for 3 mins to text someone last night and when I stood up I got a sharp pain in my ankle. I didn't twist it or go over on it so no idea what happened. It's still tender today so not going to run on it.
    I wouldn't be too bothered about it but I'm supposed to do my 16 miles tomorrow. I'm flying all day Saturday and have long work days from Sunday so have no other time to do it. ( struggling to see where I will fit my 5 and 10 mid week miles next week as it is) I hate the thought of tackling a long run not feeling 100% - it allows the doubts to creep in and makes those niggles seem worse. Hope it's just a blip for you Damo and your back on track by the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

muddypaws wrote: »
    Plan was 7 miles in the rain, a friend joined me but as she's coming back from injury, only wanted to do 4, the rain stopped not long after we started running. Did the 4, got back to the car park and I realised the little clip on bag with my keys in was no longer attached to my belt. So I did another mile, walking and jogging, which I'm going to take - every mile counts.

Found the bag, keys still in it, a nice couple out walking had found it and hung it on a tree. Didn't have the heart to carry on then, we have an event on this weekend, so I'll make up the extra miles I'm sure. Just have to do my 14 miler tomorrow or Friday

Aha!! - so thats 2 on here that I've figured out (thanks to your Strava comment ;) )
    A handy tip for marathon morning is to either buy a cheap top (Penny's?) or wear an old hoody/top that you don't mind discarding at the start line.

You are going to be hanging around for a good while and it will keep the chill off. I think they are all collected and given to the homeless....at least I think I read that somewhere

In past marathons, if its particularly cold, I've cut an old Pennys top down the front of the middle, so my number is visible and have worn it for a mile or so til I warm up, then discard it at the 1st water station.
    Baby75 wrote: »

Or stick a water bottle down my sports bra :D

Must try that :D
    To follow the "sip little and often" mantra

I bring a Zero tab broke in 2, and throw it into a bottle of water from the water stations - not an energy fill, but important none the less.

I'd also encourage you to try the isotonic drinks that they will have on the day - I think this year its Lucozade Orange (not the horrible Spar stuff :) ) - so try them and as said above, sip little & often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I bring a Zero tab broke in 2, and throw it into a bottle of water from the water stations - not an energy fill, but important none the less.

If you can get the High 5 marathon pack in Lidl it comes with a few individually wrapped Zero tabs - very handy for the day.

Thanks for the info on the tailwind Baby75 & unthought known, I’ve just ordered some so will try it out next weekend, hopefully it wil have no I’ll effects, the info on their webpage all seems really positive!

Hope your injuries are nothing too serious Damo & Leesider and you’ll both get out for your LSRs. I got some over the counter anti inflammatory cream in the chemist for my knee and it really helps, I think I’ll be covering myself in it on marathon day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

I think tonight's run was the toughest of the whole plan so far. Not necessarily the run itself, from 3k on it was fine. Took every ounce of willpower I had to go out the door.

Entertaining 3 groups of visitors today like a zombie after a rough night, all the while thinking I've got to pound the pavement for 50 miles at some stage. Well, 5 miles, but 5 miles loomed like 50.

Just couldn't skip it, not this close, not after missing a sizable block already.

Feels good to chalk it off but ugghh, don't want to get into that headspace again.

Ah Damo, hope everything's good after a bit of RICE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

My training buddy suggested we try a local treatment, she described it as powerful jets of water on the legs. So we went along this evening, and I discovered it was an ice bath. My mental image of sitting in a warm jacuzzi with lovely hot jets of water were shattered as I climbed into the cold water. It was fine after a minute or so, as my legs went numb. Weird sensation afterwards, drying my legs but not sure if they were actually dry as I still couldn't feel them.

My legs feel amazing now though, so relaxed, I have 14 miles tomorrow, so will see how they feel then. If it helps, I'll book one for next Friday after my 20 miler

This marathon journey continues to surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Good willpower Lazare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Lazare wrote: »
    I think tonight's run was the toughest of the whole plan so far. Not necessarily the run itself, from 3k on it was fine. Took every ounce of willpower I had to go out the door.

Entertaining 3 groups of visitors today like a zombie after a rough night, all the while thinking I've got to pound the pavement for 50 miles at some stage. Well, 5 miles, but 5 miles loomed like 50.

Just couldn't skip it, not this close, not after missing a sizable block already.

Feels good to chalk it off but ugghh, don't want to get into that headspace again.

Aw it's only natural with all you have going on. Do remember though you have lots of miles done so getting in the long runs is the most important. Midweek runs you can juggle around.

As an aside I think I passed you near the end on Saturday. For some reason I recognised your gear from behind but as I came alongside I bottled it and didn't say hello. Checked flybys on Strava and it seems it was you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Asked on twitter what gels will be available at the stations.

Both Regular high 5 gels AND Isogels will be available at mile 16 and 21! Delighted, two less gels to carry.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Aw it's only natural with all you have going on. Do remember though you have lots of miles done so getting in the long runs is the most important. Midweek runs you can juggle around.

As an aside I think I passed you near the end on Saturday. For some reason I recognised your gear from behind but as I came alongside I bottled it and didn't say hello. Checked flybys on Strava and it seems it was you!!!

Haha, really? Ah it's a pity we didn't get the chance to high 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Haven't checked in here for a while, glad to see everybody is still hanging in there for the most part, found it difficult to go out yesterday eve, had 7 miles scheduled and really, really couldn't be arsed, but got it done all the same, it's those little moments that I think I'll take most satisfaction in when this is all done, getting the miles done when you think you can't.

First run of the cycle to finish In the dark last night and could definitely feel winter coming in, so at least everybody here can say they got use out of the outdoors over the better months!

I will try and post a few observations I have about this whole caper at some stage over the weekend as I'd like to know what people here think;).

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

DNF my LSR today. Not unexpected due to my sore ankle but feel absolutely miserable all the same. Hope a good nights sleep helps but so depressed about it right now. Lots of travel over next few weeks so running out of windows to get these runs in :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

leesider77 wrote: »
    DNF my LSR today. Not unexpected due to my sore ankle but feel absolutely miserable all the same. Hope a good nights sleep helps but so depressed about it right now. Lots of travel over next few weeks so running out of windows to get these runs in :-(

Chin up Leesider stick with it, hopefully the ankle will settle over he next couple of days. I'm finding it hard to get the runs in also with work, hoping to get the long runs at the least in. We have the miles done, just need to hang in as best we can now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

leesider77 wrote: »

Sure there are only 1 or 2 lsr' to go then it's taper time, if the ankle is still bad I'm sure you could swap out some of those taper runs for some cross training on a bike or in the pool and not disadvantage yourself so much. I'm convinced I could finish a marathon tomorrow at this stage and am convinced everybody else here who's healthy could too.
    The hard work is pretty much done now, bar one or two more big runs, it's all about getting to the start line as fresh and healthy as possible now, imo, so dont sweat it;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

2nd 20 mile LSR done. Those last 6 miles are going to be a mental battle.

Advertisement