Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

No shortage of sweets on the route!
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'm not carrying anything on the day. I'm going to trust the water and gel stations. I might carry a gel or two in my shorts pockets but that's it I think. That and depending on the famous generosity of the Dublin spectating public which is legendary apparently :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Haha, my early morning is different to most! I've done a couple of 6.30am LSRs. For this I was thinking 9/10 but can be flexible if it suits others. I like to keep the afternoon free. :)

Yes I like to have afternoon free too, anytime after 8 is good for me so whatever suits everyone else! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Yes I like to have afternoon free too, anytime after 8 is good for me so whatever suits everyone else! :)

Well that's good for me too. I usually start from the Hole in the Wall but can change that to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

For anyone who struggles to stay on top of their hydration, ive started using these sachets called Bolero that I got in Bodyfirst Nutrition. I drank a bit of water usually, but not enough for the amount of running im doing tbh. Now im drinking 2 litres of just this bolero a day, and thats not including the glass of water in work etc. It comes in a silly silly amount of flavours, anyways it could be handy for coming up to race week when youll really need to have your hydration perfect. Sugar free, and gluten free for those who need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Wouldn't have been able to keep up with you guys but will be sorry to miss the coffee meetup afterwards. As I'm away during the week prior, I'll be in full kids party planning and cake making mode that day so wont make it. Still trying to figure out where I will fit my 20 miles in - most likely more time off work. Glad it the last real long one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    For anyone who struggles to stay on top of their hydration, ive started using these sachets called Bolero that I got in Bodyfirst Nutrition. I drank a bit of water usually, but not enough for the amount of running im doing tbh. Now im drinking 2 litres of just this bolero a day, and thats not including the glass of water in work etc. It comes in a silly silly amount of flavours, anyways it could be handy for coming up to race week when youll really need to have your hydration perfect. Sugar free, and gluten free for those who need it!

I've been using those zero tabs ever since getting a sample pack at Fingal.

That kind of marketing really works, I got a sample pack of kiddies vitamin jellies at IR5 that I've been buying for the little one ever since. Gas, I just thought they were normal jellies, scoffed a load of them right after the race before reading the label, 'Take one per day, don't exceed the normal dose'

Turned me into a big kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Plan was 7 miles in the rain, a friend joined me but as she's coming back from injury, only wanted to do 4, the rain stopped not long after we started running. Did the 4, got back to the car park and I realised the little clip on bag with my keys in was no longer attached to my belt. So I did another mile, walking and jogging, which I'm going to take - every mile counts.

Found the bag, keys still in it, a nice couple out walking had found it and hung it on a tree. Didn't have the heart to carry on then, we have an event on this weekend, so I'll make up the extra miles I'm sure. Just have to do my 14 miler tomorrow or Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

I'm not carrying anything on the day. I'm going to trust the water and gel stations. I might carry a gel or two in my shorts pockets but that's it I think. That and depending on the famous generosity of the Dublin spectating public which is legendary apparently :)

Same here - carrying anything bugs the bejasus out of me. That includes wearing shades/hat/phone carrier arm band thingie/belt etc. I have a belt that I bring on my longest long runs for a few gels and my water bottle - which is more a water bag that collapses to nothing. I tried a bottle but it's jigging up and down drove me nuts! I'm a shorts, vest, runners and socks (liners - not the knee highs - even that's too much :)) Also can't stand to have my hair in my face. Not sure if I'll be able to tolerate a hair band so I might be going back to plaits for the day! Phone lives in the zippy pocket in my shorts. First thing I look at when buying shorts/running tights - if it doesn't have a zippy pocket it's out. I think I might have issues :)
    I'll bring a few gels in the zippy pocket as it looks like there's only 2 stations at 16&21 miles for gels. And as I also can't carry anything in my hands (yep - annoys me too) one at each of those stations won't be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Baby75 wrote: »
    yea I have a bladder in it with my water and tailwind, I was very glad I had it on Saturday it felt heavy before we started, was so tempted to leave it behind. I found the first half with all the hills uncomfortable as it made me very hot, the wind in my face was a welcome relief even if it made it a little harder :)

I might change how I carry my water, I waist belt is more appealing at the minute

I do my LSRs with a hydration pack and don’t mind it at all. I don’t intend using it on the day though as just carrying gels and phone so i’ll wear a belt. Haven’t decided which one. I’m building up quite the collection!

Candamir wrote: »
    Same here - carrying anything bugs the bejasus out of me. That includes wearing shades/hat/phone carrier arm band thingie/belt etc. I have a belt that I bring on my longest long runs for a few gels and my water bottle - which is more a water bag that collapses to nothing. I tried a bottle but it's jigging up and down drove me nuts! I'm a shorts, vest, runners and socks (liners - not the knee highs - even that's too much :)) Also can't stand to have my hair in my face. Not sure if I'll be able to tolerate a hair band so I might be going back to plaits for the day! Phone lives in the zippy pocket in my shorts. First thing I look at when buying shorts/running tights - if it doesn't have a zippy pocket it's out. I think I might have issues :)
    I'll bring a few gels in the zippy pocket as it looks like there's only 2 stations at 16&21 miles for gels. And as I also can't carry anything in my hands (yep - annoys me too) one at each of those stations won't be enough.

Haha...I never even carry a phone. Nature took away the possibility of hair getting in my face so I won't need a manbun!

Yep my few gels will be for the earlier stages of the marathon, probably miles 4, 8 and 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

My last few LSRs I've ran with a light backpack, but I won't race with anything other than a bumbag, even that is a chore. Saturday was the first time I've raced with it. Handy that I had to abandon the car, as I ran by it I chucked it into the ditch.

I'll be throwing it away as soon as I take my last gel in DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

Can relate to the inability to holding onto something while running. Especially water, or extra layer of clothing etc, super annoying and ruins your rhythm.

I have had decent lick with thw belt bag thingees though. Those simple ones from Aldi/Lidl for less than a fiver. The pouch expands to fit my 7" screen phone (not a typo, 7" screen phone, not a tablet.. Well a 'phablet') and once I wear it and with the phone flat against my lower back, it doesn't jiggle and I can just forget about it for hours. The only problem is that its a pain to take a call or to change a podcast or if I need to take a photo. Need to find a better solution for it - may be a smaller / normal sized phone... Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

A handy tip for marathon morning is to either buy a cheap top (Penny's?) or wear an old hoody/top that you don't mind discarding at the start line.

You are going to be hanging around for a good while and it will keep the chill off. I think they are all collected and given to the homeless....at least I think I read that somewhere

Went to an information evening organised by the campaign team in Temple Street, was very informative and was ran by a girl called Mary Jennings. Definitely drilled a couple of things into my head that I had forgot or simply didnt realise I should be doing. Even walking through the A&E department makes me realise how stupid I am giving out about a sore knee and theres kids in there that didnt do anything to deserve any of what theyre going through.

Gonna stop complaining and give these last 5 weeks a bash, whether your doing it for a charity or just doing it for yourself, give yourself a pat on the back because its a hell of a journey when ya think about it (and look at the route map :() !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I have a belt I use for my phone and spare change in case I need it :) I don't mind it at all

I had the hydration backpack for any adventure races we were doing it is handy for all your kit and water and food they do not supply them en route. it has been great for LSR but I did not need it for the FD 10 mile and doubt I will need it for DCM but I am not using gels I use tailwind added to my water for hydration and carbohydrates I love it as it does not upset my tummy. so I will need to bring some sachets and add it to water which means stopping or I think a belt with a water bottle will be better :)

Or stick a water bottle down my sports bra :D I did that tonight on my run

I am not long back from running 7 miles lots of rain at the start which caused my watch to crap itself I had to stop for a pee break paused it and it would not work again, took out my phone turned on starva and it recorded time moving but not GPS :eek: Have no clue on pace 1 hours 16 minutes with stops for traffic and hubby needed a pee break :D roads were very busy

saw loads of other runners out and all in good spirits and saying hello and waving which was lovely it kind of spurs you on I think.

We went out in neon yellow so we would be seen!! but I couldn't believe it when I saw two people out cycling no lights or high vis gear at all :eek::eek: so dangerous. If I was out at this hour I would be lit up like a christmas tree

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Almost forgot. Was in elvery's today and gels and bars are buy 1 get one free. For anyone that didn't get the massive box in Lidl the last time!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Re hydration on the day, assuming the same facilities are in place this year as last there should be no need to carry anything except possibly a zero tablet to drop into water particularly if it's a humid day, there was more than enough water and lucozade stations last year.

What type of Hi5 gels are they?? Really hoping that they are isogels, and preferably berry flavour haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

They were just the ordinary gels last year , no Isogels I'm afraid.

Candamir wrote: »
    Almost forgot. Was in elvery's today and gels and bars are buy 1 get one free. For anyone that didn't get the massive box in Lidl the last time!

Lidl in Finglas still have some, both the gels only box and the box with water bottle, zero tabs, mixed gels, a bar, a recovery drink etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I have a belt I use for my phone and spare change in case I need it :) I don't mind it at all

I had the hydration backpack for any adventure races we were doing it is handy for all your kit and water and food they do not supply them en route. it has been great for LSR but I did not need it for the FD 10 mile and doubt I will need it for DCM but I am not using gels I use tailwind added to my water for hydration and carbohydrates I love it as it does not upset my tummy. so I will need to bring some sachets and add it to water which means stopping or I think a belt with a water bottle will be better :)

I am not long back from running 7 miles lots of rain at the start which caused my watch to crap itself I had to stop for a pee break paused it and it would not work again, took out my phone turned on starva and it recorded time moving but not GPS :eek: Have no clue on pace 1 hours 16 minutes with stops for traffic and hubby needed a pee break :D roads were very busy

saw loads of other runners out and all in good spirits and saying hello and waving which was lovely it kind of spurs you on I think.

We went out in neon yellow so we would be seen!! but I couldn't believe it when I saw two people out cycling no lights or high vis gear at all :eek::eek: so dangerous. If I was out at this hour I would be lit up like a christmas tree

I've been trying out tailwind on some LSR's and at the HM on Saturday. I get a bit geeky about this type of thing and I've been testing this method

10dz586.jpg

Got the fat straws from Tiger. 2 straws hold 1 scoop (100 calories/25g carbs etc.). Sealed each straw at one end with tape (electrical tape) then fold over top and tape, doubling over the tape to easily remove. The 2 straws then fit in the top of the 250ml bottles to empty without spilling.

As I said, a little geeky, but it has been working.

I've been trying out tailwind on some LSR's and at the HM on Saturday. I get a bit geeky about this type of thing and I've been testing this method

10dz586.jpg

Got the fat straws from Tiger. 2 straws hold 1 scoop (100 calories/25g carbs etc.). Sealed each straw at one end with tape (electrical tape) then fold over top and tape, doubling over the tape to easily remove. The 2 straws then fit in the top of the 250ml bottles to empty without spilling.

As I said, a little geeky, but it has been working.

That's a great idea and you know your adding the correct amount to the water

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭anais

Sorry to ask if it was mentioned before but where could I buy tailwind please? Hate the sticky gels but get hungry from 14miles on. Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

anais wrote: »
    Sorry to ask if it was mentioned before but where could I buy tailwind please? Hate the sticky gels but get hungry from 14miles on. Tia

You can order here http://www.tailwindnutrition.co.uk/ There's a sample pack for 13.50 with 10 stickpacks (2 scoops in each).
    Fast delivery and you'll even get a handwritten note :)

You can order here http://www.tailwindnutrition.co.uk/ There's a sample pack for 13.50 with 10 stickpacks (2 scoops in each).
    Fast delivery and you'll even get a handwritten note :)

Yep that's where we got ours we went for the large pack for the two of us

• Registered Users Posts: 18 only running

Hi guys. Posted on main forum but just to note it is looking more likely there will be a rail strike on the October bank holiday weekend. Anyone planning to travel by train may need to start looking at alternative arrangements in case

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

The Muppet wrote: »
    Re hydration on the day, assuming the same facilities are in place this year as last there should be no need to carry anything except possibly a zero tablet to drop into water particularly if it's a humid day, there was more than enough water and lucozade stations last year.

Even for us slow coaches? ie, those well past the five hour mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

:eek: I cant even begin to comprehend the mechanics of this :P

D3PO wrote: »
    :eek: I cant even begin to comprehend the mechanics of this :P

I can't even begin to comprehend the mental images you're seeing as you try to comprehend the mechanics of it! :-p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hi guys. Posted on main forum but just to note it is looking more likely there will be a rail strike on the October bank holiday weekend. Anyone planning to travel by train may need to start looking at alternative arrangements in case

Ah no way. Was planning on the train :-(

Advertisement