Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CRU (formerly CER) review of charging infrastructure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,386 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Wind turbines don’t install themselves. Many of the wind farms are domestically owned. The newer Wind farms dint get A REFIT, that’s why they are looking at adding storage. Wind is the cheapest energy in the market and is reducing prices for the Irish tax payers

The only reason for reduced prices are lower oil and gas prices and more competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No, they need the purchase incentive, they should eliminate the 500 million of our money going to foreign wind energy companies or invest in wind energy ourselves or provide a FIT and incentives for micro generation.
    I would put the 1.2 Billion they want to spend on smart meters and 500 million of the money they will give to wind energy investors to continue purchase incentives, improving the network and providing FIT and grant for micro generation.
    Very little is done to give consumers better value or better service, all this is to make it better for utilities.

Just to wind you up @Mad_Lad! :)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/esb-group-sees-operating-profit-and-revenue-rise-807817.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

KCross wrote: »
    No, they need the purchase incentive, they should eliminate the 500 million of our money going to foreign wind energy companies or invest in wind energy ourselves or provide a FIT and incentives for micro generation.
    I would put the 1.2 Billion they want to spend on smart meters and 500 million of the money they will give to wind energy investors to continue purchase incentives, improving the network and providing FIT and grant for micro generation.
    Very little is done to give consumers better value or better service, all this is to make it better for utilities.

Just to wind you up @Mad_Lad! :)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/esb-group-sees-operating-profit-and-revenue-rise-807817.html
    I saw the notification on boards that this thread was updated - I clicked with baited breath, maybe you're posting about the CER decision finally being made. Alas - it's a wind up!

Maybe they can spare the €6m or so out of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,071 ✭✭✭✭unkel

So the ESB operating profit is going in the direction of one billion euro per year. Not bad for an organisation where the average person is earning €100,000 per year

Maybe indeed they have some spare alms for a few fast chargers so?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

I'd say it will be sweeties for BEV buyers in the budget followed shortly afterwards by CER saying youse all will pay for your 'leccy

So nothing from CER untill after budget day

Just a guess

unkel wrote: »
    So the ESB operating profit is going in the direction of one billion euro per year. Not bad for an organisation where the average person is earning €100,000 per year

They didnt get where they are today by giving away 'leccy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They didnt get where they are today by giving away 'leccy :p

So the electrification of rural ireland was completely loss free then?

ELM327 wrote: »
    So the electrification of rural ireland was completely loss free then?

That was different times. That came in after ESB had wasted all that money building Ardnacrusha :p and they had to recruit customers. ( you might just find that ESB didnt make very much money back then )

Back in those days you got a grant if you built a house. These days you have to pay the L.A. if you build a house.

Sorry to be desperately O/T

• Registered Users Posts: 21,196 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Some project for Dingle town, they are throwing a €4million at, includes chargers.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dingle-to-be-4m-test-bed-for-how-grid-will-meet-growing-demand-for-power-36176297.html

All EV owners going to Dingle on their holiers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Water John wrote: »
    Some project for Dingle town, they are throwing a €4million at, includes chargers.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dingle-to-be-4m-test-bed-for-how-grid-will-meet-growing-demand-for-power-36176297.html

Genuinely, one would go there, and base for holidays around Kerry if you knew you had good charging facilities

ESB had wasted all that money building Ardnacrusha :p

Well, at least Ardnacrusha provided 100% of the electricity needs of the whole country. And it was 100% renewable. 88 years ago. Pretty impressive for the third world country Ireland was back then

Not so impressive where we are at now with all our money and what we did with all that money while it was coming in by the billions during the boom. Pay for infrastructure? Eh no, spend it on wage inflation. We are very far behind now in terms of EVs compared with other western rich countries...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭josip

Water John wrote: »

Will it end up the same as Ennis?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

The CER is no more. Long live th CRU , ( commission for the regulation of utilities )

The average salary is far from 100,000. Then older staff in the generating stations may be, but most of them are gone.

ted1 wrote: »
    The average salary is far from 100,000.

Eh yes it is. Probably a good bit over at this stage.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/average-pay-and-pension-of-esb-workers-near-100000-26632772.html

Any reason for your statement? Could you please deny you are an ESB employee? If not we will presume that you are.

The average salary is far from 100,000.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/average-pay-and-pension-of-esb-workers-near-100000-26632772.html

Any reason for your statement? Could you please deny you are an ESB employee? If not we will presume that you are.

That article is 7 years old as I said the older staff are gone and all the newer staff are in less.

Here’s an article from last year which states the average is 62k

http://www.thejournal.ie/esb-pay-rise-2716701-Apr2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

What's not taken into account when it comes to working out average salaries in the ESB (and the wider public sector) is the amount of people who are working part-time. For example, my sister-in-law works for the ESB and is on a salary of just over 40k, but she only works 3 days a week. So technically she's only on just over 40k. If it was an average working week of 39 hours she'd earn far far more. And she gets a massive discount ("staff rate") on electricity, over 50%, as do all other ESB staff.

Here’s data from glass door to back up last years figure.

https://www.glassdoor.ie/Salary/ESBI-Salaries-E429337.htm

So really you should drop the attitude.

n97 mini wrote: »

What's not taken into account when it comes to working out average salaries in the ESB (and the wider public sector) is the amount of people who are working part-time. For example, my sister-in-law works for the ESB and is on a salary of just over 40k, but she only works 3 days a week. So technically she's only on just over 40k. If it was an average working week of 39 hours she'd earn far far more. And she gets a massive discount ("staff rate") on electricity, over 50%, as do all other ESB staff.
    40k for 3 days is about 66k for 5 so just above average. When calculating averages they uprate them to full weeks.

As for the “massive” discount it’s off the Standard tariff so the PSO and standing charge is as normal

No one pays the standard rate as you should move every 12 months , so really they get a about 30% off a kWh which equates to about 20euro a month which is far from massive

ESB isn’t the public sector, and they don’t get any where near the pensions public sector works

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Can you sign me up to that 3 day week gig with the 'average' wage of 40k?

:rolleyes:

TallGlass wrote: »
    Can you sign me up to that 3 day week gig with the 'average' wage of 40k?

:rolleyes:
    I said above average, and that it works out at just 66k. Which isn’t that high, it would be about average for most engineers in the country, head masters and many more people.
    Below average for accountants.
    Many people in jobs drop down to 3 days after they have kids.

The average industrial wage is about 39 but the average professional wage would be higher.

I really am surprised that on a EV thread where most people are buying new cars that you think 66k is high.

Take a look here :

http://www.sigmarrecruitment.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Sigmar-Recruitment-Salary-Guide-2017.pdf

You’ll see it’s actually not great

I said above average, and that it works out at just 66k. Which isn’t that high, it would be about average for most engineers in the country, head masters and many more people.
    Below average for accountants.
    Many people in jobs drop down to 3 days after they have kids.

The average industrial wage is about 39 but the average professional wage would be higher.

I really am surprised that on a EV thread where most people are buying new cars that you think 66k is high.

Take a look here :

http://www.sigmarrecruitment.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Sigmar-Recruitment-Salary-Guide-2017.pdf

You’ll see it’s actually not great

66k is not a high wage.
    But it is high, extremely so, for a general operative.

He never said what his sister in law does.

I took from the non specific "works with the ESB" that it was a general non-skilled job.

I await correction.

I took from the non specific "works with the ESB" that it was a general non-skilled job.

I await correction.
    In my section there’s about 15 engineers. The lowest qualification is a Masters, some have a MBA and two have a PHD, they “work with the ESB”
    He also said “massive discount “ which is a outright false statement

I know what the bands are and a general operative isn’t on 66k

People shouldn't just look at salaries , it's what you got after expenses is what matters.

For instance, someone without a mortgage or rent to pay is in a seriously good position in this country.

In my section there’s about 15 engineers. The lowest qualification is a Masters, some have a MBA and two have a PHD, they “work with the ESB”

If you describe your job as "work with the esb" you work as a general operative.

Someone that was an electrical engineer would not describe their job as "working with the esb".

PS: Thanks for finally confirming you work for the ESB.

If you describe your job as "work with the esb" you work as a general operative.

Someone that was an electrical engineer would not describe their job as "working with the esb".

PS: Thanks for finally confirming you work for the ESB.
    He described his sister in laws job, not his, and I’d say I work with the ESB because my job title is so specific they’d be left scratching their head. And I’m not a general operative.

There is about 6,000 people le in ESB the average salary is for people “who work in the ESB. And doesn’t differentiate, there’s also very few general operatives.

Take off the tin foil hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,196 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Back to topic. See on Sky News last night, they're putting 300 FCPs into London by 2020 for the Black EV Taxis. Chargemaster guy talking.

Advertisement