Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tower Bar - Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Hey, my bargain hunting is booming at the moment :D

And who doesnt love some star wars in fairness.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I see Netflix is trying to push a new Star Trek series on me. Can some of ye go watch it so I can enjoy listening to ye cut it to absolute ribbons :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I see Netflix is trying to push a new Star Trek series on me. Can some of ye go watch it so I can enjoy listening to ye cut it to absolute ribbons

If you liked JJ Abrams film its good.

If you preferred old star trek TV shows its a bit annoying.

I've watched worse in fairness

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Heard good things about it so far. Think there's two episodes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,161 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm looking forward to watching it.

There aren't enough programs like it anymore. Deep Space 9, Voyager, Stargate (in its various forms).

The Last Ship is currently the only show I would put in that bracket of a good, fun, 6pm action/adventure show.

(The Expanse would be different, same with BSG imo)

I'm hoping I can add this to my fix.

Also, I really must get round to giving Enterprise an actual watch - the older format of its episode style put me off - 20+ episodes with a small concurrent storyline and a load of filler/one-off stories. I like the smaller more focused seasons some shows are going for now. Even Flash/Arrow which I love annoy me with their filler episodes.

• Advertisement

I was here for the salt :o

I was here for the salt :o

I'll hop on for some PvP later if you are still lacking.

If you jump into a Raid with a weird PSN ID/Name, you're gonna get a name I made up. "Yeah, you're Dylan now, I'm not calling you Daddy whatever"

I'm looking forward to watching it.

There aren't enough programs like it anymore. Deep Space 9, Voyager, Stargate (in its various forms).

The Last Ship is currently the only show I would put in that bracket of a good, fun, 6pm action/adventure show.

(The Expanse would be different, same with BSG imo)

I'm hoping I can add this to my fix.

Also, I really must get round to giving Enterprise an actual watch - the older format of its episode style put me off - 20+ episodes with a small concurrent storyline and a load of filler/one-off stories. I like the smaller more focused seasons some shows are going for now. Even Flash/Arrow which I love annoy me with their filler episodes.

enterprise is generally accepted as a horrible mis-step everything from the theme tune up was roundly criticized. if you really want to watch though, get a synopsis of first two seasons and start at seson 3 first 2 are woeful

jcd5971 wrote: »
    enterprise is generally accepted as a horrible mis-step everything from the theme tune up was roundly criticized. if you really want to watch though, get a synopsis of first two seasons and start at seson 3 first 2 are woeful

yeah - I think it was mainly parts of season 3 and 4 that I saw on tv in college, and it looked interesting enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Don't like Star Trek or Wars but I came across an episode of one of the Star Treks the other day. Was watching it thinking to myself I recognise the captain. Twas yer man out of Quantum Leap.

Quantum Leap was a great show.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Don't like Star Trek or Wars but I came across an episode of one of the Star Treks the other day. Was watching it thinking to myself I recognise the captain. Twas yer man out of Quantum Leap.

Quantum Leap was a great show.

Quantum leap is awesome, there was talk of a remake coming in the next few years. I think your mans name is Scott Bacula (sp).

Quantum leap is awesome, there was talk of a remake coming in the next few years. I think your mans name is Scott Bacula (sp).

Ai, Scott Bacula is his name. "Hoping that his final Leap, will be his Leap home"

That show ended way before it should have.

No Scott No Party.

He could play the Observer.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Lest we forget it gave us this gem of a scene which would never be allowed now:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I'm going to hell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Mickeroo wrote: »

They referenced that in one of the recent episodes of Always Sunny, where Bakula played himself.

I'm going to hell :D

Don't worry, even the people who say they're offended probably laughed too :D

Another thing I saw again recently was the first Ace Ventura movie and the "Einhorn's a man?!" bit where The Crying Game starts playing also struck me as something everyone thought was hilarious back in the day but if you put it in a film now it would likely have a picket line outside the cinema.

Mickeroo wrote: »

giphy-downsized-large.gif

jesus h christ on a motorised bicycle.

how have i not seen that stitched into a meme about enterprise yet:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

really happy with the digital version of the game, no more can't read disk, disc getting stuck in the machine. Only issue is the prices on the store seem excessive but I'll probably go this way for games I just have to have on release. eg Wolfeinstein2 and TLOU2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Watched Discovery last night. It was ok, not spectacular by any stretch. Story and dialogue was a bit ropey and simple at times, but it got better as it went along. It certainly looks the part (of the JJ Abrams era) with good production values and CGI, and modest use of binding lense flare :p

I thought it was great, really looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Will be interesting to see what the remaining episodes look like - feel they put a lot of budget into those two episodes.

Its very much a JJ Abrahms Star Trek - the look, the tech style (jump suit the same as in Into Darkness, Vulcan Science Academy same as Star Trek), and very much an action TV show.

Doesn't look like there will be much exploration or 'discovery' in it - which would have been a core feature of most of Trek over the years.

Klingons are both annoying and interesting. their look and sound annoys me, when comparing to the klingons of Next Gen onwards - but I think there are the most interesting we have seen them,

I haven't watched it yet, but have seen too many comments on the Klingon look to not have a google at them. Interesting indeed. I know Enterprise isn't much liked (I enjoyed it. It wasn't the best iteration but was alright), but there was a story in one or two episodes which explained why the Klingon look has changed over the years.

In Enterprise, Klingons looked like we know them from TNG onwards. The story goes the Klingons where afraid that Humans would staff their ships with Augments (Khaaaaaaan) and so they decided to try the same for themselves. This experimentation (Augment Virus) changed them to look how they did during TOS Kirk years and into the Kirk movies. At some stage during this timeline, the natural Klingon look began to revert, whether naturally or reversing the Genetic alterations undertaking previously. Most notable is General Chang. Then, by the time TNG, DS9 and Voyager come around, the Klingons have reverted back to their original look. This new iteration of Klingons in Discovery could be an intermediate genus between Human looking Klingons (TOS) and original (Enterprise) Klingons. If that's the case, It's a pretty nice timeline for all their different looks.

Drugs you say?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Drugs you say?

Space Drugs, even better :D

This is all the explanation I needed :pac:

My missus watched the 1st 2 episodes last night, which meant I saw them by osmosis. Seemed pretty good tbh, she loved it.

I keep my Playstation horizontal (as I mainly use discs), what do ye use to raise it up a bit to allow air flow?
    Currently it's sitting on some 5cent coins I masking taped together. I'm guessing you only really need about 1-2cm of space for airflow underneath

My missus watched the 1st 2 episodes last night, which meant I saw them by osmosis. Seemed pretty good tbh, she loved it.

I keep my Playstation horizontal (as I mainly use discs), what do ye use to raise it up a bit to allow air flow?
    Currently it's sitting on some 5cent coins I masking taped together. I'm guessing you only really need about 1-2cm of space for airflow underneath

Books can be handy in this situation. I'm currently using a copy of Ender's Game as a mousepad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

They're also useful for reading you know

Advertisement