Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howto unlock your Eircom F1000

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭freddy99

Thanks for reply. I'm using VDSL2 fibre. Trying to replace the Vodafone HG658c with the unlocked VMG8324.
    I'd be very grateful if anyone could help.

Regards, F

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Paul Thomas Rowland

freddy99 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply. I'm using VDSL2 fibre. Trying to replace the Vodafone HG658c with the unlocked VMG8324.
    I'd be very grateful if anyone could help.

Regards, F

Who is your ISP? Vodafone, Eircom or ANOther?

Settings for both are in this thread, always worth using the Search function.

Vodafone is here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94853323&postcount=198

Thank you. I will try this.
    Regards, F

Thanks Paul. These settings are perfect. I had tried searching, but didn't find this post unfortunately.

Thanks Paul. These settings are perfect....

Excellent news. V13 firmware available from https://www.studerus.ch/de/support/download/59855_1

• Advertisement

I just tried that link, but when I used the Upgrade Firmware option in the F1000 menu I received a message :
    "Image uploading failed. The selected file contains an illegal model id."

I just tried that link, but when I used the Upgrade Firmware option in the F1000 menu I received a message :
    "Image uploading failed. The selected file contains an illegal model id."

You need to unlock it. You cannot flash any Zyxel firmware on top of Eircom's locked firmware without unlocking the router. Hence the message you are seeing. Follow the guide or get it done on adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

dusf wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to install Tomato, OpenWRT, or DDWRT firmware on any of these yet?

I have discovered there are few specific modem router combinations DD-WRT will run on, and Zyxels do not apply.

Applying the official firmware did help things, it did fix broken Wi-Fi for me, but the NAS USB service on the modem always stops working after a certain number of hours and the modem has to be reset, and I have exhausted every DNS and parental control option on the router but it is just not possible to block an entire domain and all sub domains like say *.samsungotn.net, there is an option to entre the domain without the asterisk but that does not do the trick.

I have had enough with this router and I am going to upgrade to something like one of the Netgear Nighthawk models and put DD-WRT on it.

I have two f1000 which I successfully unbranded at different times and they had been working fine. I went into some of the WebUI's wireless and interface group setting to try and create a separate SSID for certain devices and they both crashed at different times and will not turn on again properly. The power light flashes green at different speeds, Ethernet comes on sometimes, although I cannot access the webUI router config, and after a period of minutes all the lights turn off and the modem turns itself back on again to repeat. I tried holding a pin into the reset button for a good 10 seconds until the lights went out, and later holding it until power went red, stayed red, and eventually turned off, but still no change.

I thought if I followed the unbranding guide again this would flush out whatever the issue is but it has not. I have been able to send by XMODEM the Zyxel bootloader to the modem, and then uploading the first firmware 100AAKL2C0_20131205, but after doing so I still cannot load any webUI router config on http://192.168.1.1, and I can see the modem is still restarting itself after some minutes.

- following the unbranding guide, it accepted every command except atse DSL-2492GNU-B1B and aten 1, <code>, I am guessing this is because it is already unlocked.

Here is a copy of the log while this is happening from PuTTY, and the reboot seems to start around line 627. If anyone knows how to fix this please tell me:

http://pastebin.com/wAmxd3kN

I fixed this by entering the command ATBR, which reset to default Romfile.

HUGE RELIEF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Kevinf63

Excellent news. V13 firmware available from https://www.studerus.ch/de/support/download/59855_1
    For anyone feeling sceptical about the unofficial download location, I've done a bit of digging around and found not only 13CO, but the firmware change logs/release notes. I'm sticking to 10C0 for the moment as it is the most stable (60-odd days uptime, no drop) for me. Please note although this is the VMG8924-B10A modem's repository, it claims the VMG8324-B10A we own is supported in the release notes.

Official Zyxel VMG8924-B10A FTP Repository:
    ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/VMG8924-B10A/firmware/

Official Zyxel V1.00(AAKL.13)C0 Release Notes:
    ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/VMG8924-B10A/firmware/VMG8924-B10A_1.00(AAKL.13)C0_2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10 littlebigman

Just a heads up that I switched to Sky last week and was thinking of experimenting with the old F1000 but today got a call from Nightline couriers who collected it on behalf of Eircom with no notice. I am out of contract and had it for nearly 2 years so never thought they would want it back as it. The Nightline driver said they now have a new contract to collect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Langer

Getting an unlocked F1000 tomorrow - will it work with Sky Fibre? have extracted Sky account details from awful Sky Hub

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

It should work haven't tried this myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Langer

Well i got the unlocked F1000 but can't get it to work with Sky Fibre. strange thing is i have an unlocked F1000 and it works fine?
    Anyone set up a successful connection with Sky? I have extracted the username/password from the Sky Hub using Wireshark.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TiNcAn

I would appreciate feedback whether this is down to the F1000 firmware or something else entirely.

I recently bought a RaspbianPi to setup a VPN server on my home network. I tested it and it works fine when I set it up on another modem/router.

When using the F1000 modem it doesn't seem to work. Anytime I try to connect over WAN back to my Pi it is rejected. The firewall on the router (and Pi) is disabled and port forwarding is setup but still no joy. Could this be down to a buggy software from eircom (i.e. is the port forwarding having issue). Tried using simple tasks like SSH but with no success.
    Additionally, when I try one of those websites to see whether the port is open (i.e. 22 or 1194) it reports that it is. So seems like it is not getting in and/or out to the Pi.

The second issue is that the Dynamic DNS service does not automatically update. When I enter the DDNS details for the first time it syncs but afterwards the F1000 makes no attempt to update its IP address with the DNS server. Also because of buggy firmware?

Anybody have any experience here with this kind of setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TiNcAn

I thought I should post this just in case anybody is interested.

After debranding the F1000 and setting up the NAT table, the port forwarding worked correctly. So it seems as though there is something working behind the curtains in the Eircom firmware that is interfering with the routing.

Also, the new firmware is way better. Well worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

I'm presuming to update firmware, you just download it from the website? If so, what's the best advised to download? Current firmware: 1.00(AAKL.8)C0

WiFi speeds have dropped to 0.6Mbps since last Tuesday, Eir have done everything and I'm trying to eliminate every possibility to try and restore the speeds

Please note although this is the VMG8924-B10A modem's repository, it claims the VMG8324-B10A we own is supported in the release notes.

Official Zyxel VMG8924-B10A FTP Repository:
    ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/VMG8924-B10A/firmware/

Official Zyxel V1.00(AAKL.14)C0 Release Notes:
    ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/VMG8924-B10A/firmware/VMG8924-B10A_1.00(AAKL.14)C0_2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eamonn_cork

Dear Dermot McDonnell,

I have an eircom F1000 which I use with my eFibre service.
    I kindly request that you unlock and remove eircom's monstrosity software from the F1000 and replace it with the latest modules from the Zyxel company.

After this, upon router autoreset, the username and password should remain as before so as the router can, unattended, commence working again.

if you wish, you could provide me with instructions on how to change the username and password once you have returned to router to me such that upon router autoreset, the newly inserted username and password should remain as befores and the router can, unattended, commence working again.
    i offer you €20 for this service.

Yours faithfully,

Éamonn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 eamonn_cork

Dear Dermot McDonnell,

I have an eircom F1000 which I use with my eFibre service.
    I kindly request that you unlock and remove eircom's monstrosity software from the F1000 and replace it with the latest modules from the Zyxel company.

After this, upon router autoreset, the username and password should remain as before so as the router can, unattended, commence working again.

if you wish, you could provide me with instructions on how to change the username and password once you have returned to router to me such that upon router autoreset, the newly inserted username and password should remain as befores and the router can, unattended, commence working again.
    i offer you €20 for this service.

Yours faithfully,

Éamonn

Just a quick note for anyone running into issues with their F1000 modem crashing and resetting when using PLEX Media server.
    • Don't auto port forward PLEX's server mapping using UPnP.
    • Manually port forward under the modem's NAT settings.
    • Then set PLEX remote acccess to manually specify the public port instead.
    • Please see attached images to see visually of what needs to be done.
    I noticed mine continuously crashed for quite a number of weeks, but I could never track it down to any one cause up until two days ago when I was home alone to test it. It seems as if PLEX spams some kind of broadcast for port forwarding 32400 constantly over the network, even if its been enabled on the F1000's UPnP forwarded list, particularly noticeable when logged into Plex locally and watching through the web app (got so bad can't finish 40 minute episodes without it dying).

It became more apparent when I tried to remove the PLEX UPnP entry, because it would never delete unless I stopped the UPnP service altogether on the modem, removing all entries. Since I've done the above, my modem hasn't crashed since (1.5 days VDSL uptime). I will monitor it for the next week to see how it gets on.

Current Router Firmware:
    Official Zyxel V1.00(AAKL.14)C0

Bootloader link is dead again.

My bad, I see where you replied to me last time I could not find it and you put it on Google. May I suggest you put the actual working link for the bootloader in the original post?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭McSim

All,

FYI new ZyXEL firmware version 15 (1.00(AAKL.15)C0) became available at the ZyXEL site for the VMG8324-B10A (Eircom F1000) router.

ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/VMG8324-B10A/firmware/

From release notes looks like DSL code got an upgrade, might be interesting for those who sticking to version 7C0 at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Hi

I have tried to upgrade my F1000 firmware from version 10 to 15 but the selected file has an illegal model id. Why is this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dukelamonty

Hi all,
    Sorry to bring this back to basics.
    I have an F1000 with Eir s/w rev: 1.00(AAHA.4)D0_20150925

I get approx 10Mbps to 1Mbps on a wifi connection from my supposed 70Mb service. Admittedly, I'm about 1.5 km from the exchange.
    Here are a few lines from the stats log on the router:
    VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 1.022 Mbps 12.287 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 1.023 Mbps 12.288 Mbps

Anyone know if I would benefit from any of these options:
    - unlocking and upgrading the firmware on my f1000 (this thread started in 2014 so have things moved on or is this still a beneficial option)?
    - replacing the f1000 with an f2000 (will this likely get me better wifi speed, is it a much better router in other regards as well)?

Anyone know if the 12.287Mbps in the stats log indicates the limit of the line speed coming into the house? In other words, is this my real problem and no matter what router I put in I won't get more than 12.287?
    Regards,
    Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭McSim

VDSL Port Details           Upstream         Downstream
               Line Rate:      1.022 Mbps       12.287 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate:      1.023 Mbps       12.288 Mbps

Anyone know if I would benefit from any of these options:
    - unlocking and upgrading the firmware on my f1000 (this thread started in 2014 so have things moved on or is this still a beneficial option)?
    - replacing the f1000 with an f2000 (will this likely get me better wifi speed, is it a much better router in other regards as well)?

Anyone know if the 12.287Mbps in the stats log indicates the limit of the line speed coming into the house? In other words, is this my real problem and no matter what router I put in I won't get more than 12.287?
    Yes, 12 Mbps is the speed limit of the line coming into house. Different FW or router model might make it better or worse, very likely only slightly. Unless your set up suffers from some specific bug in FW (unlikely). According to the http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance 1.5 km to the cabinet (not to exchange!) will have limitation of around 20 Mbps (in best conditions probably).

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dukelamonty

Thanks McSim. I appreciate your taking the time to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Can someone post a link to the feature set of a native zyxel flashed f1000? I'm sure it's been posted but 28 pages is a lot to go through.

Basically I'm looking for a modem/router that offers dynamic DNS updating to selfhost.de (supported by Fritz boxes but not by all) and preferably VPN functionality. Can a debranded f1000 (or 2000) for that matter offer this or am i looking at a Fritz box?

Bridging is not an option for my use case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 ianx

Hi The tonycool.es/zyxel/zynpass_en.htm url is no longer working is there anywhere else to generate the code for getting into the extra commands?

Advertisement