Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howto unlock your Eircom F1000

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 2600

yep, faulty usb-ttl:)
    new one worked perfect.
    but I am stuck with boot loader upload:
    at CFE>atbt 1 //to unlock write
    CFE>atub
    ctrl A then : and I am typing :
    exec !! sx /home/user_name/cfe63268nand128_Release.bin

but I am getting:

Retry 0: NAK on sector (that line comes few times)
    Retry 0: Retry Count Exceeded

Transfer incomplete

Remote cancel, please download again...
    ERROR

and I am back to
    CFE>

yes, yes, yes
    I am happy to see nice and blue background on my config page;)

Thanks Dermot for all your work and help.

fresh Ubuntu didn't work, but fresh raspberry PI worked perfect. default screen config might be different between Ubuntu and Debian.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Dermot McDonnell

2600 wrote: »
    fresh Ubuntu didn't work, but fresh raspberry PI worked perfect. default screen config might be different between Ubuntu and Debian.

Good work, Dominik! How is it working for you?

FYI

Zyxel have released their V8 firmware. Those of you with an unlocked F1000 can, if you wish, upgrade from the GUI Maintenance menu. You can get the new firmware here ftp://certified:zyxel@ftp.zyxel.it/firmware/VMG8924/

There is some criticism of the new firmware on Kitz forums from users with the 5GHz WiFi so you may wish to wait a while to see what the considered reaction is. I have not had any problems with it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

FYI

Zyxel have released their V8 firmware. Those of you with an unlocked F1000 can, if you wish, upgrade from the GUI Maintenance menu. You can get the new firmware here ftp://certified:zyxel@ftp.zyxel.it/firmware/VMG8924/

There is some criticism of the new firmware on Kitz forums from users with the 5GHz WiFi so you may wish to wait a while to see what the considered reaction is. I have not had any problems with it myself.

Do some modems have 5 GHz? Mine doesn't.

jca wrote: »
    Do some modems have 5 GHz? Mine doesn't.

Zyxel make two F1000 type models, identical in all respects other than the inclusion of an additional 5GHz WiFi radio in the VMG8924. Eircom supply the VMG8324 (aka F1000) which does not have the extra WiFi radio. Zyxel firmwares, v8 and earlier, will flash on either device as the Linux kernel will not load drivers for which hardware is not present.

Posts elsewhere on boards suggest the latest Eircom fibre router, a Huawei HG659b I think, has both 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi radios, very useful for network devices that can utilise both frequency bands. It is very new and clearly has serious, and very very basic, firmware issues - you cannot change your LAN subnet mask. Eircom do not do QA, apparently.

Zyxel make two F1000 type models, identical in all respects other than the inclusion of an additional 5GHz WiFi radio in the VMG8924. Eircom supply the VMG8324 (aka F1000) which does not have the extra WiFi radio. Zyxel firmwares, v8 and earlier, will flash on either device as the Linux kernel will not load drivers for which hardware is not present.

Posts elsewhere on boards suggest the latest Eircom fibre router, a Huawei HG659b I think, has both 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi radios, very useful for network devices that can utilise both frequency bands. It is very new and clearly has serious, and very very basic, firmware issues - you cannot change your LAN subnet mask. Eircom do not do QA, apparently.

Thanks for that Dermot. I'll try the new firmware and let you know how it goes. I haven't come across any shortcomings with the unlocked modem. What improvements does the new firmware give?

.. What improvements does the new firmware give?

Unusually, no change log has appeared yet. I expect one in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

yuloni wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The Zyxel Italia site does that sometimes. Try the Dutch ISP, Tweak: https://www.tweak.nl/support/firmware.html

I've just done the update and already the Internet seems snappier. I did a backup before I started just in case but all seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

I've just done the update and already the Internet seems snappier. I did a backup before I started just in case but all seems fine.

Did you reset to factory default after the upgrade?

jspuds wrote: »
    Did you reset to factory default after the upgrade?

No I never thought of doing the reset. Do I need to do the reset to get the full benefit of the new firmware? Do I reset via the gui or do I use a pin?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

No I never thought of doing the reset. Do I need to do the reset to get the full benefit of the new firmware? Do I reset via the gui or do I use a pin?

Not sure but thought I read somewhere on the kitz forum they recommenced a factory reset as there is a new dsl driver in the firmware, anybody do a reset or is there a need?

Edit: Read back through the forum http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13930.0 and there is no recommendation to set to factory default after the upgrade but some have reset. Found this "Be advised that you may not be able to restore a config file from a previous version, so may well need to re-enter all your settings"

Not sure but thought I read somewhere on the kitz forum they recommenced a factory reset as there is a new dsl driver in the firmware, anybody do a reset or is there a need?

Edit: Read back through the forum http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13930.0 and there is no recommendation to set to factory default after the upgrade but some have reset. Found this "Be advised that you may not be able to restore a config file from a previous version, so may well need to re-enter all your settings"

It's running perfectly on the new firmware so I'll leave well enough alone.

...Found this "Be advised that you may not be able to restore a config file from a previous version, so may well need to re-enter all your settings"

I had no difficulty restoring a configuration file, saved using the v7 firmware, on v8.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Kevinf63

I'm back to this forum after two good months of using 7C0 firmware. I can say that it is definitely more stable than the latest Eircom firmware available to me, but that's not to say my VDSL line hasn't gone down. It has on a few occasions gone down and thankfully I at least have been syslogging some of the details into my NAS so I have something to show for it. In the attached syslog text file you can see at the top where I turned on my desktop and then about an hour later the VDSL connection went down. You can physically see the router repeating certain processes over and over again to bring up the line to no success. Eventually it comes back up though. Could just be Eircom with there dodgy lines, I don't know for certain to be honest. Its been about 15 days since I had to reset it (for UPnP problems with Plex which happen regularly).

• Registered Users Posts: 13 haggster

Kevinf63 wrote: »
    I'm back to this forum after two good months of using 7C0 firmware. I can say that it is definitely more stable than the latest Eircom firmware available to me, but that's not to say my VDSL line hasn't gone down. It has on a few occasions gone down and thankfully I at least have been syslogging some of the details into my NAS so I have something to show for it. In the attached syslog text file you can see at the top where I turned on my desktop and then about an hour later the VDSL connection went down. You can physically see the router repeating certain processes over and over again to bring up the line to no success. Eventually it comes back up though. Could just be Eircom with there dodgy lines, I don't know for certain to be honest. Its been about 15 days since I had to reset it (for UPnP problems with Plex which happen regularly).

I agree, the 7C0 firmware is quite good and I haven't read many complaints about it. So far my line hasn't gone down a single time with that firmware. I'm using the F1000 in bridge mode exclusively. Got 97mbit/s down while doing a speed test the other day, but I was only able to reproduce that around three times... the other attempts always resulted in a 96.x mbit/s value. Pingtest.net gave the connection a "Grade A", with no packet loss and a jitter value of 1ms.

I've got one good advice for users who want to improve their connection (and I haven't seen that being mentioned here before): Replace the cheap modem cable that came with your F1000 with a better one, namely a twisted pair cable that is as short as possible. I finally got a really short (0.5m) twisted pair cable and after connecting it to the F1000 and socket my speedtests are showing a slight but steady throughput increase (it's slightly better than placebo, but I assume that if you're on a slower connection the speed gains will be even higher).

I am happy user of Zyxel firmware, but I am still looking to get my modem management invisible from internet.
    Any settings to achieve that ? Except to have a modem lock out for good(WAN and LAN), which works fine for now, but to make any changes I need to hard reset my modem to default settings.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 djohnsongmx

I am currently having a problem where my remote site (in the US) cannot complete a site-to-site VPN connection to our head office firewall, which is behind an F1000. I know that the settings for both firewalls are okay, cos when I initiate the connection from the Dublin side, it will work. But it seems that when the connection is initiated from the US side, the F1000 blocks the IKE traffic (possibly because it is also a VPN device and processes any VPN traffic itself). Is this issue fixed by the firmware upgrades or any of the configuration changes that have been suggested by the original poster. thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm also having an issue port forwarding my RDP port through the modem. Has anyone tried this successfully?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Hi All

I have question a bit strange.

Are you using de-branded F1000 with vodafone broadband ?

I purchased de-branded F1000 from adverts, flashed it with latest f/w and it was working fine, 23 hours top.
    I required reboots every day after 20 - 23 hours in use.
    I replaced old vodafone modem because of almost the same issue - it required reboots every 2-3 days.

Issue is the same - connection to broadband is lost, wi-fi works OK but no connection to internet and only modem reboots helps.

Now vodafone dispatched new modem and it works for couple of days and then loosing connection.

bottom line is - F1000 performed worse than stock vodafone modem for some reason.

Did anyone have similar issues ?

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Kevinf63

Hi all, a small update for people looking to flash the firmware of these routers over serial TTL. The newest version available in the last two weeks is 10C0. You can flash it the traditional TTL way, or you could use a modified version created by Ayosi over on the Kitz forums that allows you to flash 10C0 through the original unmodified Eircom web interface. Basically flash-friendly firmware for the Eircom F1000 without the use of serial TTL. Router settings will be lost upon doing this and will require wired Ethernet to access.

router username and password = admin/1234

ZyXel VMG8324-B10A 10C0 Firmware with Changelog:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1u8nmewjx7by5s3/V100AAKL10C0.zip?dl=0
    (thanks to broadstairs and clonc on Kitz forums)

Ayosi's Eircom F1000 flash-friendly 10C0 firmware:
    https://mega.nz/#!mpBH2Rya!pzxQ6j9040YliWd0CBwgtGrVgJohUtuphw4He3MtBtY
    (Big thanks to Ayosi on the Kitz forums)

Make sure to thank them over on the Kitz forums yourself! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

Kevinf63 wrote: »
    Ayosi Basically flash-friendly firmware for the Eircom F1000 without the use of serial TTL.

Ayosi's Eircom F1000 flash-friendly 10C0 firmware:
    https://mega.nz/#!mpBH2Rya!pzxQ6j9040YliWd0CBwgtGrVgJohUtuphw4He3MtBtY
    (Big thanks to Ayosi on the Kitz forums)

Tried that on an F1000 (VMG8324-B10A) and a VMG8924-B10A and it worked great on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Quick question is there anywhere in dublin you can get the required cables in order to flash the modem.

Don't want to wait too long for delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Terrlock wrote:
    Quick question is there anywhere in dublin you can get the required cables in order to flash the modem.

Check posts above, you can flash from F1000 to zyxel without connecting to serial port.
    Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭McSim

Packet wrote: »
    Tried that on an F1000 (VMG8324-B10A) and a VMG8924-B10A and it worked great on both.
    There are reports on Kitz forums that 8C0/10C0 firmware is unstable on VDSL(2), however great on ADSL(2/+), VSDL(2) people rolling back to 7C0. Are you on VDSL(2) or ADSL(2/+)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

McSim wrote: »
    There are reports on Kitz forums that 8C0/10C0 firmware is unstable on VDSL(2), however great on ADSL(2/+), VSDL(2) people rolling back to 7C0. Are you on VDSL(2) or ADSL(2/+)?

I had to roll back to 7C as the modem kept rebooting couple of times per day. Had no issues on 7C before upgrade so went back down and no issues since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭McSim

I'm also having an issue port forwarding my RDP port through the modem. Has anyone tried this successfully?
    Yes, working for me on the latest F1000 Eircom firmware.
    Did you check RDP settings on Windows firewall - connections must be allowed there?

Advertisement