Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howto unlock your Eircom F1000

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Hi

Here is a link to install chaos calmer to router. I thought if someone had a spare router they could try it out and give some feedback.

https://devzone.nordicsemi.com/blogs/699/trying-openwrt-chaos-calmer-1505-rc1-on-asus-rt-n1/

I know the router is a different model but this may work for f1000 and give us more options - vpn/server.

l

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭lisij

Kevinf63 wrote: »
    Hi all, a small update for people looking to flash the firmware of these routers over serial TTL. The newest version available in the last two weeks is 10C0. You can flash it the traditional TTL way, or you could use a modified version created by Ayosi over on the Kitz forums that allows you to flash 10C0 through the original unmodified Eircom web interface. Basically flash-friendly firmware for the Eircom F1000 without the use of serial TTL. Router settings will be lost upon doing this and will require wired Ethernet to access.

router username and password = admin/1234

ZyXel VMG8324-B10A 10C0 Firmware with Changelog:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1u8nmewjx7by5s3/V100AAKL10C0.zip?dl=0
    (thanks to broadstairs and clonc on Kitz forums)

Ayosi's Eircom F1000 flash-friendly 10C0 firmware:
    https://mega.nz/#!mpBH2Rya!pzxQ6j9040YliWd0CBwgtGrVgJohUtuphw4He3MtBtY
    (Big thanks to Ayosi on the Kitz forums)

Make sure to thank them over on the Kitz forums yourself! :D
    Hi,

Which waywould you upload the user friendly install? Via eircom firmware upgrade web interface?
    Again, people say the 10c0 is unstable, how easily i can roll back to lower firmware 7c0 i think, is it just a matter of reinstalling the firmware or would i require a via serial TTL.
    Thank you for replyes

• Registered Users Posts: 13 haggster

lsjmhar wrote: »
    Hi

Here is a link to install chaos calmer to router. I thought if someone had a spare router they could try it out and give some feedback.

I know the router is a different model but this may work for f1000 and give us more options - vpn/server.

l
    Hey, this is amazing!! The question is whether it's possible to revert to the Zyxel firmware if needed.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare F1000, so I cannot really try it. Anyone here who could?

lsjmhar: Maybe it might be worth asking the people over at the Kitz forum if they've tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭lisij

hahaha...
    had a problem with my f1000 router, called eircom, 2 days after engineer came in, tested the line, all good, tested router no dsl connection, said he give me new one. What shall i do with old one? i asked. throw it in to bin, he said.
    back to this forum, flashed with Ayosi's Eircom user friendly firmware, router working perfectly.
    thanx Kitz, Kevinf63 and boards.ie forum for this
    testing the new 10C0 firmware, so far so good!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

Eircom are now shipping the F2000 not the Zyxel model.

It looks similar but is made by Huawei and has better wifi specs.

Has Eircom enabled VoIP for any services on these yet? They've clearly got some plan to as theyve installed the hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭65535

It would not be in Eircom's interest to enable VoIP on these boxes.
    On the unbranded/software updated F1000 you can add VoIP and it works.
    I don't know if the F2000 has been unbranded yet

65535 wrote: »
    It would not be in Eircom's interest to enable VoIP on these boxes.
    On the unbranded/software updated F1000 you can add VoIP and it works.
    I don't know if the F2000 has been unbranded yet

It would if it's their own VoIP service.

Eircom is planning to wind down the PSTN. It's ageing 80s/90s technology that has to disappear sometime and they're the ones who specified gateways with VoIP capability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

StonyIron wrote: »
    It would if it's their own VoIP service.

Eircom is planning to wind down the PSTN. It's ageing 80s/90s technology that has to disappear sometime and they're the ones who specified gateways with VoIP capability.

It could be some time yet, FTTH installs are getting a fibre and a copper dropwire. They'll need to sort the universal service obligation with Comreg first as this specifies copper. You'll possibly see them having to supply a UPS to ensure service doesn't drop in a power outage

It could be some time yet, FTTH installs are getting a fibre and a copper dropwire. They'll need to sort the universal service obligation with Comreg first as this specifies copper. You'll possibly see them having to supply a UPS to ensure service doesn't drop in a power outage

They'll still incentivise people to get off the infrastructure though for one simple reason : it's very old, expensive to maintain relative to voip and softswitches and it's generally unlikely to be supported by vendors in the medium term.

They're going to have to effectively change the circuit switched TDM network over to VoIP whether they want to or not because the tech simply won't be supported and in many cases already isn't.

The digital PSTN network isn't IP based. It runs over a largely totally separate network. That's why you've still got small exchanges with horrible speeds on ADSL, it's backhauled over old ATM connections deigned for Voice & ISDN rather than IP.

Telcos move to putting VoIP into the exchanges and keeping the cooper dial tones, but I suspect many will simply push people onto VoIP using either VoIP phones or analogue adaptors like what's built into the efibre modems, the Vodafone modems or the UPC modems.

Also, I'd suspect the likes of Vodafone will have no interest in paying Eircom for voice if they can just go "over the top" and use the broadband.
    Digiweb already do this and all UPC phones are VoIP over broadband.

There's a big difference between a private VoIP system on a carriers' own network as your voice traffic doesn't go over the public internet and can be QOS managed.

That being said, I use VoIP with a 3rd party provider. We've a VoIP cordless phone plugged straight into an efibre router and it actually works and sounds a lot better than a copper landline.

Regulation may keep the POTS network on life support for a while but it's a dying technology in the late stages of its twilight years at this stage.

It doesn't mean the PSTN will vanish, but the local access network and exchanges are becoming as relevant as pay phones and fax machines.

Just out of interest I checked comstat.ie

In Ireland at present there are currently :
    1.001 million direct access landlines and
    5.783 million mobiles (including 497,000 machine to machine connections)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Are the Eircom routers any good? I'm thinking of switching to them from Vodafone@home and wondering if the Eircom router would be better than my current TP-Link TD-W8968

One of my reasons for moving would be that voice calls over Microsoft Lync aren't great. Wondering if I would notice much difference.

Hi

On efibre I am getting steady 100MB on ethernet cable. On wifi my download is around 27 - 30 MB. Upload is around 10 MB.

Flashing the router has given more options. VDSL is now the standard on my f1000 router so better for streaming. You could use your second router to extend wifi by bridging.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Are the Eircom routers any good? I'm thinking of switching to them from Vodafone@home and wondering if the Eircom router would be better than my current TP-Link TD-W8968

One of my reasons for moving would be that voice calls over Microsoft Lync aren't great. Wondering if I would notice much difference.

Eircom are no longer supplying this Zyxel produced F1000, they supply a much better F2000 by Huawei which is dual band with the latest wireless standard 802.11ac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Eircom are no longer supplying this Zyxel produced F1000, they supply a much better F2000 by Huawei which is dual band with the latest wireless standard 802.11ac.

I strong-armed them into giving me one, it should be here tomorrow or Thursday I'll let you know what its like. There's one in work and I must say I'm impressed.

jca wrote: »
    I strong-armed them into giving me one, it should be here tomorrow or Thursday I'll let you know what its like. There's one in work and I must say I'm impressed.

Why would you do that? The F2000 is a much better router by a much better company, you can flash the latest stock Huawei HG659b firmware on it to rid yourself of the Eircom one
    https://www.spark.co.nz/help/internet-data/equipment/huawei/hg659-gateway/update-modem-firmware-huawei-hg659/

Why would you do that? The F2000 is a much better router by a much better company, you can flash the latest stock Huawei HG659b firmware on it to rid yourself of the Eircom one
    https://www.spark.co.nz/help/internet-data/equipment/huawei/hg659-gateway/update-modem-firmware-huawei-hg659/

That's what I meant I'm awaiting delivery of the F2000.

What are the advantages in flashing the latest firmware? Does it enable features that are otherwise locked down by Eircom?

What are the advantages in flashing the latest firmware? Does it enable features that are otherwise locked down by Eircom?

It's the latest firmware, with Eircom you'll always be a few versions behind.

It's the latest firmware, with Eircom you'll always be a few versions behind.

With the eircom firmware does the print server work? It was very hit and miss on the F1000.

With the eircom firmware does the print server work? It was very hit and miss on the F1000.

I have no idea, we really shouldn't be discussing the F2000 in this thread though, this thread is for the older F1000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

How did you manage that ?. i would like an F2000 Modem also. !

gordonnet wrote: »
    How did you manage that ?. i would like an F2000 Modem also. !

First question I asked was; How long is left on my contract? I then started being all Victor Meldrew saying that my wireless range had gone to pot, my neighbour is with VF and his wireless is sooooo much better blah blah etc. It should be here tomorrow, if they charge me for it I'll do some moaning..

My last derailment I promise. The F2000 arrived today, in a word, fantastic. Printer working perfectly on the usb. It's on firmware version 19 only one behind the latest firmware. I think I'll leave it alone as it's working perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

New firmware for an unlocked Eir(com) F1000 or ZyXel VMG8324-B10A modem/router released; 1.00(AAKL.11)C0
    Can be found on the ZyXel FTP site. Running it now and no issues so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭4motion

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    New firmware for an unlocked Eir(com) F1000 or ZyXel VMG8324-B10A modem/router released; 1.00(AAKL.11)C0
    Can be found on the ZyXel FTP site. Running it now and no issues so far :)

Is the usb port run ok i mean harddrives? i have this software now 1.00(AAHA.4)D0_20150310 worth to try?

Hi Kerbdog

I have downloaded that image and tried to install it - V100AAKL11C0.bin - but I keep getting this message.

'Image uploading failed. The selected file contains an illegal model id.'

There is a second image - V100AAKL10C0_20150923.bin. Is this the one that you are running on the router.

Thanks

Lsjmhar

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

zarafiq wrote: »
    Thanks for all the posts Dermot. Unlocked mine yesterday. Was able to use Raspberry Pi instead of TTL-USB cable. One issue - DSL LED is green but the Internet LED stays red so not able to connect to the internet.
    Could somebody who uses Eircom and ideally uses 1.00(AAKL.5)C0 firmware backup their config, remove any sensitive info (passwords, etc) and post it here?
    Many thanks!

any further details on how you did it with the raspberry pi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Has anyone managed to install Tomato, OpenWRT, or DDWRT firmware on any of these yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭freddy99

Has anybody got this router working with Vodafone ?
    Could you share the settings if you have them please.

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭sennah

freddy99 wrote: »
    Has anybody got this router working with Vodafone ?
    Could you share the settings if you have them please.

Thank you

Are you on ADSL or VDSL2 (fibre)?

Advertisement