Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howto unlock your Eircom F1000

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

jca wrote: »
    Only one USB port.. Does the USB port work as a print or media server? I'm delighted with my unlocked F1000 tbh.

there are 2 usb ports

one on the back and one on the side

it does both media and print server functions

voip is also enabled on the modem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Yeah, right. Bogman is first person in the country to have Eircoms newest router.

you can buy them on ebay NZ. both vodafone nz and spark nz in new zealand have been using them for quite a while now :rolleyes:. Hence why mine is white not black like eircom's version.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Dermot McDonnell

Just going back to the start, what is the reason that Eircom do not offer the latest firmware?

It is unknown why Eircom have not updated their firmware, unfortunately. Business reasons, no doubt :)

• Advertisement

It is unknown why Eircom have not updated their firmware, unfortunately. Business reasons, no doubt :)

you are right its down to cost. it costs eircom money for firmware update development from manufacturing companies such as zyxel, or huawei

the second part to it is not all isps use the factory firmware because it involves configuring. Unlike yourself Dermot who knows what you are doing when it comes to configuring a modem, the vast majority of internet provider's customers do not. ISP's will use their custom firmware to make the modem plug n play for this majority.

yuloni wrote: »

this one i bought myself over a year ago it is better spec'd than the HG658c as it is supports wireless ac upto 1600mps (though not tested as i dont have that much speed coming down the line to check it).

They will be updating the site once they have done all the how to guides for it.

A friend had efibre installed last week and he has one of the eircom F2000 modems the kn tech himself brought it. it is identical to mine only black with an efibre logo on it. even says HG659B on the back of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

there are 2 usb ports

one on the back and one on the side

it does both media and print server functions

voip is also enabled on the modem

Will everything work on it after Eircom are finished with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 peewee3ie

A friend had efibre installed last week and he has one of the eircom F2000 modems the kn tech himself brought it. it is identical to mine only black with an efibre logo on it. even says HG659B on the back of it

Well if thats the case how come eircom is not giving them out to every new person who switches to fiber. Then if eircom are giving out f2000 then photos of your friends modem then

I know 2 people who live beside me who just got fiber last Friday 13th and an other person less than a mile from me, got it on Monday and they all where given the F1000. I know this as they were all asking what could be up with their laptops as Eircom was telling them it their laptop has got the problem with the wifi (wireless) and not the modems.

I have unbranded the all and all problems have gone away now. I have even been told by one of them that their Ipad even connects to the modem faster.

Then if eircom are giving out f2000 then photos of your friends modem then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I'm sure if they are moving to the F2000 modem units, that they will still have stock in vans of the older units for awhile so it would be expected that they would still be installing them

• Registered Users Posts: 16 peewee3ie

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I'm sure if they are moving to the F2000 modem units, that they will still have stock in vans of the older units for awhile so it would be expected that they would still be installing them

Well that could be the case.

I have been on to friends who works with eircom and he is high up and other who works in fiber development the both of them said if there was a modem change that they change straight out at the start of a month and keep what ever stock they have for people with older modems or one that have been hit with lighting

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Paul Thomas Rowland

This thread is titled Howto unlock your Eircom F1000

Posts about other devices is off topic. Please obey the forum rules. If you want to discuss other broadband devices start your own thread, please. I will ask the Mod to ban those who refuse to respect the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Just ordered a cable.
    Ill document the the whole process with screen shots and post if anyone wants it.

I do a few speedtest, pings (wifi and cable) and compare before and after results.

Cork981 wrote: »
    Just ordered a cable.
    Ill document the the whole process with screen shots and post if anyone wants it. I do a few speedtest, pings (wifi and cable) and compare before and after results.

I, for one, would greatly appreciate your contribution. Thank you.

Anybody using an unlocked F1000 on ISPs other than Eircom? If so, a screen shot of your WAN config will be very useful to future adopters of the unlocked F1000. I would like to inlcude them in the guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

I, for one, would greatly appreciate your contribution. Thank you.

Anybody using an unlocked F1000 on ISPs other than Eircom? If so, a screen shot of your WAN config will be very useful to future adopters of the unlocked F1000. I would like to inlcude them in the guide.

I'll certainly do that so.

I'm with vodafone so ill be sure to add a screenshot of my config.

Using the unlocked F1000 with Vodafone.

Thanks to Wayne Neary for providing screen shots of his WAN setup.

343261.png

343262.png

343263.png

343264.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13 haggster

There seems to be a new firmware available now: http :// forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,13930.150.html (it's not yet listed in the first post of that thread containing the list of available versions)

Has anyone here tried that version yet?

haggster wrote: »
    There seems to be a new firmware available now: http :// forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,13930.150.html (it's not yet listed in the first post of that thread containing the list of available versions)

Has anyone here tried that version yet?

The latest firmware being tested by Kitz users is a beta. I will wait a bit and see how the trailblazers get on before I flash it on a production router. Flashing it will not break your router, so if you feel so inclined give it a go. Released Zyxel firmwares tend to follow betas by a month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 2600

is it possible that my usb-serial is broken ? for last few hours been trying to connect to F1000, I can see USB/serial in system (USB0, tty.usbserial, COM3-5 under linux, os x and windows), but no output to the screen / putty ? wired is that on PL2303HX green LED is flashing. My understanding is that shows data flow, but no output on the screen, just blinking cursor.

• Advertisement

2600 wrote: »
    is it possible that my usb-serial is broken ? for last few hours been trying to connect to F1000, I can see USB/serial in system (USB0, tty.usbserial, COM3-5 under linux, os x and windows), but no output to the screen / putty ? wired is that on PL2303HX green LED is flashing. My understanding is that shows data flow, but no output on the screen, just blinking cursor.

Try swap the RX and TX Cables on the router side

did that and green LED from PL2303HX is not flashing.

Did you set the baud rate correctly? No text?

tried 115200 and 9600

Baud should be 115200, 8 bit, no parity, no handshake (hardware or software, eg XON/XOFF). Nothing else will work.

For the connectors, GND goes to GND, RX to TX and TX to RX. Nothing else will work.

On my sparkfun USB-TTL device, RX is marked RXI (RX in) and TX is marked TXO (TX out). Connect these pins, GND and nothing else. If the light on your device in flashing, then data is passing one way at least.

did on clean ubuntu installation with screen and lrzsz installed:
    sudo screen -fn /dev/ttyUSB0 115200

only blinking cursor, no booting text from modem.

did on clean ubuntu installation with screen and lrzsz installed:
    sudo screen -fn /dev/USB0 115200

only blinking cursor, no booting text from modem.

On my Ubuntu 14.04 PC, I use:

sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200

Your device name may be incorrect.

Very strange, there a fault somewhere - I very much doubt it is your PC. I have never encountered what you describe and I have unlocked a couple of dozen F1000s.

I typed wrong in my post, it was /dev/ttyUSB0 when I tried on laptop. 2 laptops and raspberry PI last night(all same result). Non worked for me.
    Dermot: pls check your PM.

• Advertisement

I typed wrong in my post, it was /dev/ttyUSB0 when I tried on laptop. 2 laptops and raspberry PI last night(all same result). Non worked for me.
    Dermot: pls check your PM.

Fault with the usb-ttl, I'd say. Replied to your pm.

Advertisement