Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Week 1 Thread

Options
  • 03-09-2017 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

nfl-kickoff-logo.jpg?w=420

Thursday Night Football, NFL Kickoff Game - 01:30am

Chiefs @ Patriots (-8) - Sky Sports Main Event

Sunday - 6pm

Cardinals (-1) @ Lions
    Falcons (-7) @ Bears
    Ravens @ Bengals (-2.5)
    Jets @ Bills (-8.5)
    Raiders @ Titans (-2)
    Jaguars @ Texans (-5)
    Steelers (-9) @ Browns
    Eagles (-1) @ Redskins
    Buccaneers (-2.5) @ Dolphins - Sky Sports Main Event

Sunday - 9:05pm/9:25pm

Colts (-3) @ Rams
    Seahawks @ Packers (-3) - Sky Sports Main Event
    Panthers (-5.5) @ 49ers

Sunday Night Football - 01:30am

Giants @ Cowboys (-3.5) - Sky Sports Main Event

Monday Night Football - 00:10am

Saints @ Vikings (-3.5) - Sky Sports Main Event

Monday Night Football - 03:20am

Chargers @ Broncos (-3.5) - Sky Sports Main Event

We're finally back! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

We are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

If the Jets are 8.5 point underdog at the Bills, I cant wait to see what the odds are when they play even half decent teams!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Chiefs @ Patriots
    Cardinals @ Lions
    Falcons @ Bears
    Ravens @ Bengals
    Jets @ Bills
    Raiders @ Titans
    Jaguars @ Texans
    Steelers @ Browns
    Redskins
    Buccaneers @ Dolphins

Colts @ Rams
    Packers
    Panthers @ 49ers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Saints @ Vikings
    Chargers @ Broncos

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Chiefs @ Patriots
    Cardinals @ Lions
    Falcons @ Bears
    Ravens @ Bengals
    Jets @ Bills
    Raiders @ Titans
    Jaguars @ Texans
    Steelers @ Browns
    Eagles @ Redskins
    Buccaneers @ Dolphins

Colts @ Rams
    Seahawks @ Packers
    Panthers @ 49ers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Saints @ Vikings
    Chargers @ Broncos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Chiefs @ Patriots
    Cardinals @ Lions
    Falcons @ Bears
    Ravens @ Bengals
    Jets @ Bills
    Raiders @ Titans
    Jaguars @ Texans
    Steelers @ Browns
    Eagles @ Redskins
    Buccaneers @ Dolphins

Colts @ Rams
    Seahawks @ Packers
    Panthers @ 49ers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Saints @ Vikings
    Chargers @ Broncos

Great to have the NFL back and taking up way too much of my weekend. Week 1 alaways feels so special, a clean slate, hopeful expectations for your team (Jets excepted) and always throws up some of the most head scratching results of the season.

A couple of really interesting games in the early timeslot, Raider v Titans should be fantastic and I'm looking forward to the Buccaneers v Dolphins. I expect the Buccs to contend in their division this year, and am looking forward to seeing what Cutler can do with the talented WR corp (and Ajayi)

Seahawks v Packers is obviously the pick of the evening games, but curiosity has me looking at the Rams v Colts, just to see if Goff has developed at all, and to see what that Rams D can do to the Scott Tolzien-led Colts.

No way I'll be able to stay up to watch all three of the Monday nighters but glad that the pick of them is on earliest, OBJ and Marshall against Dak, Dez and Elliot (please don't do the spoon feeding thing...please!) For Denver so important to get off to a decent start this year, and really hopeful to see improvement offensively (which would still only lead to a mediocre offense)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Chiefs @ Patriots
    Cardinals @ Lions
    Falcons @ Bears
    Ravens @ Bengals
    Jets @ Bills
    Raiders @ Titans
    Jaguars @ Texans
    Steelers @ Browns
    Eagles @ Redskins
    Buccaneers @ Dolphins

Colts @ Rams
    Seahawks @ Packers
    Panthers @ 49ers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Saints @ Vikings
    Chargers @ Broncos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Chiefs @ Patriots (homer choice)
    Cardinals @ Lions
    Falcons @ Bears
    Ravens @ Bengals
    Jets @ Bills
    Raiders @ Titans
    Jaguars @ Texans
    Steelers @ Browns
    Eagles @ Redskins
    Dolphins

Colts @ Rams
    Seahawks @ Packers
    Panthers @ 49ers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Saints @ Vikings
    Chargers @ Broncos

Friday is booked off work, myself and the lads I do an NFL podcast with are staying up to watch the opener :)
    Couple of very tasty games as well,
    Thursday night is nice,
    Raiders @ Titans should be high quality,
    Buccaneers @ Dolphins will be fun (high scoring, a bit ridiculous)
    Seahawks @ Packers
    Giants @ Cowboys

All very fun matchups to watch. Now lets play ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

Chiefs @ Patriots
    Cardinals @ Lions
    Falcons @ Bears
    Ravens @ Bengals
    Jets @ Bills
    Raiders @ Titans
    Jaguars @ Texans
    Steelers @ Browns
    Eagles @ Redskins
    Buccaneers @ Dolphins

Colts @ Rams
    Seahawks @ Packers
    Panthers @ 49ers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Saints @ Vikings
    Chargers @ Broncos

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

conor222 wrote: »
    Chiefs @ Patriots (homer choice)
    Cardinals @ Lions
    Falcons @ Bears
    Ravens @ Bengals
    Jets @ Bills
    Raiders @ Titans
    Jaguars @ Texans
    Steelers @ Browns
    Eagles @ Redskins
    Dolphins

Colts @ Rams
    Seahawks @ Packers
    Panthers @ 49ers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Saints @ Vikings
    Chargers @ Broncos

Friday is booked off work, myself and the lads I do an NFL podcast with are staying up to watch the opener :)
    Couple of very tasty games as well,
    Thursday night is nice,
    Raiders @ Titans should be high quality,
    Buccaneers @ Dolphins will be fun (high scoring, a bit ridiculous)
    Seahawks @ Packers
    Giants @ Cowboys

All very fun matchups to watch. Now lets play ball!

Whats the podcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Chiefs @ Patriots
    Cardinals @ Lions
    Falcons @ Bears
    Ravens @ Bengals
    Jets @ Bills
    Raiders @ Titans
    Jaguars @ Texans
    Steelers @ Browns
    Redskins
    Buccaneers @ Dolphins

Colts @ Rams
    Packers
    Panthers @ 49ers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Saints @ Vikings
    Chargers @ Broncos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

As someone who has dabbled, watched most of the last decades Superbowls, but only maybe a dozen games over the course of a year (and then sometimes only part of the games), but who really actually enjoys it when I do ... I've decided to pull the trigger and get the NFL Pass (I've cancelled Sky Sports so might as well).

So question for ye all, I've decided to pick a team and focus on their games each week and 'support' - so I'm looking for recommendations. I don't want a team like the Patriots who'll likely be a guaranteed pick for there or thereabouts but equally not someone like the Browns or the Bears who are totally ****. Middle of the road, but potentially might go on a run would be perfect. Suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

Big thing to think about is east or west coast. East coast means far higher chance of 1800 game vs West coast of 2115 game. The later game means you're getting less sleep if you're a die hard fan.

Something to think about. If you want a non Pats like team Tampa could be one to look at. Winston will be a decent QB for a while and I think they'll progress to the playoffs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

AhHaor wrote: »
    Big thing to think about is east or west coast. East coast means far higher chance of 1800 game vs West coast of 2115 game. The later game means you're getting less sleep if you're a die hard fan.

Something to think about. If you want a non Pats like team Tampa could be one to look at. Winston will be a decent QB for a while and I think they'll progress to the playoffs

Cheers for the reply. I won't be watching live, so that's not something that's essential to me, I think the NFL pass I'm going for only gives after the event coverage (40 minute games) which I am A-OK with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

As someone who has dabbled, watched most of the last decades Superbowls, but only maybe a dozen games over the course of a year (and then sometimes only part of the games), but who really actually enjoys it when I do ... I've decided to pull the trigger and get the NFL Pass (I've cancelled Sky Sports so might as well).

So question for ye all, I've decided to pick a team and focus on their games each week and 'support' - so I'm looking for recommendations. I don't want a team like the Patriots who'll likely be a guaranteed pick for there or thereabouts but equally not someone like the Browns or the Bears who are totally ****. Middle of the road, but potentially might go on a run would be perfect. Suggestions?

Think Eagles are a team with potential, also chargers if they can stay healthy. Or watch hard knocks and go with the buccaneers, at least it would give you a feel for the different characters on the team

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Cheers for the reply. I won't be watching live, so that's not something that's essential to me, I think the NFL pass I'm going for only gives after the event coverage (40 minute games) which I am A-OK with.
    Take one of the LA teams, it's the first year in LA for both or else take the Raiders who are on the up, made playoffs last season but lost their starting QB before the playoffs, and are moving to Vegas next season. A couple of good options there and something new about all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Honestly, you just have to let the team pick you. Watch as many games as you can and eventually you'll find one.

Paully D wrote: »
    Honestly, you just have to let the team pick you. Watch as many games as you can and eventually you'll find one.

Pretty much this.

I wouldn't worry about timezone, or randomly picking a team. Watch as many games as you can. Most teams have a particular style of play or are perennial winners (well run from top down) or indeed losers (of course there's always a cinderella season to look forward to) but the NFL is not liek the premier league, one years SuperBowl winner can/will miss the playoffs the following year. It can be a cyclical league, much of a teams success hangs on the QB/Coach.

Generally, if a team has a stable QB situation, the offense will be tailored around him for 10/15 years to come. I picked Denver because I liked the way Elway played, very exciting, rocket arm, scrambling, jaw dropping plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Bucks were suggested previously. If you watch hard knocks youll get to know more of the players also. Might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Yeah this - maybe pencil in a team but watch a few games and you'll soon enough pick up on a player, or team, or kit, or something that will grab you.

Don't pick the Eagles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Chiefs @ Patriots
    Cardinals @ Lions
    Falcons @ Bears
    Ravens @ Bengals
    Jets @ Bills
    Raiders @ Titans
    Jaguars @ Texans
    Steelers @ Browns
    Eagles @ Redskins
    Buccaneers @ Dolphins

Colts @ Rams
    Seahawks @ Packers
    Panthers @ 49ers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Saints @ Vikings
    Chargers @ Broncos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Chiefs @ Patriots
    Cardinals @ Lions
    Falcons @ Bears
    Ravens @ Bengals
    Jets @ Bills
    Raiders @ Titans
    Jaguars @ Texans
    Steelers @ Browns
    Eagles @ Redskins
    Buccaneers @ Dolphins
    Colts @ Rams
    Seahawks @ Packers
    Panthers @ 49ers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Saints @ Vikings
    Chargers @ Broncos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Chiefs @ Patriots
    Cardinals @ Lions
    Falcons @ Bears
    Ravens @ Bengals
    Jets @ Bills
    Raiders @ Titans
    Texans
    Steelers @ Browns
    Eagles @ Redskins
    Buccaneers @ Dolphins
    Colts @ Rams
    Seahawks @ Packers
    Panthers @ 49ers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Saints @ Vikings
    Chargers @ Broncos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Guffy wrote: »
    Whats the podcast?

Its called All Four Quarters or AFQ podcast. Its just three of us normally and a few mates who pop in occasionally. We record on a Tuesday and get it out on a Thursday each week during the season (and a lot less often during the offseason)
    This is the start of our third season now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Chiefs @ Patriots
    Cardinals @ Lions
    Falcons @ Bears
    Ravens @ Bengals
    Jets @ Bills
    Raiders @ Titans
    Jaguars @ Texans
    Steelers @ Browns
    Eagles @ Redskins
    Buccaneers @ Dolphins
    Colts @ Rams
    Seahawks @ Packers
    Panthers @ 49ers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Saints @ Vikings
    Chargers @ Broncos

conor222 wrote: »
    Its called All Four Quarters or AFQ podcast. Its just three of us normally and a few mates who pop in occasionally. We record on a Tuesday and get it out on a Thursday each week during the season (and a lot less often during the offseason)
    This is the start of our third season now :)

Great, I'll give it a listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Cardinals can be a lot of fun to watch. I would have said the Jags are young and potentially could be really good for a while, but their QB is just appalling. Titans and Raiders are on the up and have lots of young exciting players and two guys looking set to be top five QBs for much of the next 10-15 years - Carr has done a bit more so far and is awesome, but I think Mariota of the Titans is more fun to watch.

Of course, you never know how things will change... started watching in 2002 and a mate of mine picked the Rams because they were class in Madden and one of the most exciting teams ever to watch. They've not only the woeful since then, but possibly the most boring team over the last 12 years or so too (though I like explosive defenses so been fond of watching them the last two years or so).

Either way enjoy, and remember there's no such thing as a 'dumb question' over rules etc in the match threads here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

True as well, though you never know how quick it can happen - I was hooked to GB from my first night watching NFL. I got one of the luckiest first nights ever though, just checked back and the 6pm game was Jets 37 - 31 Bills (over 700yds total offense, OT win on a 96 yard kick return), while the second at 9pm was Falcons 34 - 37 Packers (over 750yds of offense, OT win on a FG after 11mins played).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Anybody know if redzone is back this year? Sky tv guide seems unusable on mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Anybody know if redzone is back this year? Sky tv guide seems unusable on mobile.
    Believe it's on Sky Sports Mix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Finally! It seems that the off-season gets longer every year!

Advertisement