Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I was sitting in traffic after my park run this morning and there was a passenger in the car in front smoking a cig. Observing the smoke bellowing out the window, I thought how alien it would for me to inhale that poison these days.
    I'm off the smokey Joes 12 years now and I just wish i was at that stage with alcohol where I see it for the poison that it is.
    Unfortunately I'm not there yet and I can still see a somewhat pleasurable side to alcohol but time hopefully will iron that out as it did with the smokes.
    6 weeks today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Chopinlist66

Have been doing better, getting great support from GP, who is fully convinced of my honorable intentions to fully cease alcohol.
    Had a bad one two weeks ago, back on the wagon, hadn't a drink/bottle wine in my case.. in two weeks.
    However he prescribed Selincro to help me reduce the desire to drink. The idea is to take it two hours before you think you will be tempted. Took one yesterday, being Friday night, and didn't want my vino.. well I did.. but I didn't.. you know what I mean!
    Well, I was a sick as a dog. As well as losing the desire to drink, I lost the will to live. Dizzy head, extreme nausea, fatigue, diarrhoea. Worse than any hangover. Maybe that's the idea. Dreadful stuff. Was just wondering if anyone here had the same reaction, maybe mine was extreme. I don't want wine, and i certainly don't want selincro. Would put you off alcohol for a lifetime, never mind a day!
    Hope all are doing well on here. Best. C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Marinjohn45

Have been doing better, getting great support from GP, who is fully convinced of my honorable intentions to fully cease alcohol.
    Had a bad one two weeks ago, back on the wagon, hadn't a drink/bottle wine in my case.. in two weeks.
    However he prescribed Selincro to help me reduce the desire to drink. The idea is to take it two hours before you think you will be tempted. Took one yesterday, being Friday night, and didn't want my vino.. well I did.. but I didn't.. you know what I mean!
    Well, I was a sick as a dog. As well as losing the desire to drink, I lost the will to live. Dizzy head, extreme nausea, fatigue, diarrhoea. Worse than any hangover. Maybe that's the idea. Dreadful stuff. Was just wondering if anyone here had the same reaction, maybe mine was extreme. I don't want wine, and i certainly don't want selincro. Would put you off alcohol for a lifetime, never mind a day!
    Hope all are doing well on here. Best. C.

I took something similar many years ago and ended up in A and E thinking I was going to die...For a few weeks after every time I drank I felt sick until it eventually wore off...So when I packed up for good 24 years ago I got some of the tablets which were supposed to be taken every day, and took just one a week for 3 months..Just out of pure fear of the effects from the tablet it turned me off drinking until I eventually got over the hump...

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

I was sitting in traffic after my park run this morning and there was a passenger in the car in front smoking a cig. Observing the smoke bellowing out the window, I thought how alien it would for me to inhale that poison these days.
    I'm off the smokey Joes 12 years now and I just wish i was at that stage with alcohol where I see it for the poison that it is.
    Unfortunately I'm not there yet and I can still see a somewhat pleasurable side to alcohol but time hopefully will iron that out as it did with the smokes.
    6 weeks today :)

It will come. This is going to sound ridiculous but I gave up (heavy) smoking 16 years ago and at the time I proudly proclaimed I 'loved' smoking and that if I was diagnosed with a terminal illness I'd take it up again immediately. That feeling wore off over the years and now, even if I thought I was going to die next week, I wouldn't touch the disgusting things. I gave up drinking 6 years ago and in the early days I thought the same 'if I get diagnosed blah blah blah..' but now I wouldn't even bother doing that if I only had weeks to live. Why cloud the time you have left? Why end up depressed and ashamed all over again when you know the simple and pure pleasure of life without booze. So Fingers, hang in there, you will gradually think what was all the fuss about and why did't I quit sooner!

hubba wrote: »
    It will come. This is going to sound ridiculous but I gave up (heavy) smoking 16 years ago and at the time I proudly proclaimed I 'loved' smoking and that if I was diagnosed with a terminal illness I'd take it up again immediately. That feeling wore off over the years and now, even if I thought I was going to die next week, I wouldn't touch the disgusting things. I gave up drinking 6 years ago and in the early days I thought the same 'if I get diagnosed blah blah blah..' but now I wouldn't even bother doing that if I only had weeks to live. Why cloud the time you have left? Why end up depressed and ashamed all over again when you know the simple and pure pleasure of life without booze. So Fingers, hang in there, you will gradually think what was all the fuss about and why did't I quit sooner!

That's mad. I actually had a conversion recently and the topic of whether or not id succumb to a drink or smoke before riding the lightning (just finished reading The Green Mile) If offered. Definitely wouldn't have that smoke because I know I wouldn't enjoy it but a drink mmmm .....at the moment is another story.
    How long does it take for the subconscious to
    let go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

That's mad. I actually had a conversion recently and the topic of whether or not id succumb to a drink or smoke before riding the lightning (just finished reading The Green Mile) If offered. Definitely wouldn't have that smoke because I know I wouldn't enjoy it but a drink mmmm .....at the moment is another story.
    How long does it take for the subconscious to
    let go?

In my case when I no longer knew how long I'd been off it (to the day/month) when people asked, that's about when I no longer felt like an EX drinker and more like a NON drinker. That was about the 3 year mark. At 6 years off it, I now am delighted with the simplicity it brings to my life and if I could have one wish when I rub the genie's bottle is that everyone could see what a waste of time drinking is. Both people and life in general are far more authentic without it. But of course you can't say that to people because they would understandably think you are being patronising and/or condescending so I keep my thoughts to myself (except on NDG!).

so so true!! Love your posts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭souls

Thanks Fingers Mcginty, i'll check that out :) how are you doing?
    I'm a cyclist myself and agree it's great for the head.
    There's a good cycling forum under the sports section on this site. :)

souls wrote: »
    Thanks Fingers Mcginty, i'll check that out :) how are you doing?

7 weeks today. 2 months is the longest I was ever off it.
    I was in Galway recently and ended up in a pub. I had a few non alcho beers but tbh I didn't really enjoy it. Just wanted to be elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tinpib

7 weeks today. 2 months is the longest I was ever off it.
    I was in Galway recently and ended up in a pub. I had a few non alcho beers but tbh I didn't really enjoy it. Just wanted to be elsewhere.

Ya, I hear ya. It's funny but I hate the humm of a busy bar now, I used to get a buzz from the sound of people and the atmosphere back in my drinking days. It gave me energy.

I'm moving back to Ireland soon but after 19 months I'm thankfully well-used to sobriety now. I won't ever be going back to going to going out and staying out till 4am sober, but I am looking forward to visiting pubs during the day or early evening for a coffee or a coke for an hour or 2 max.

People warn against complacency but hopefully I'll be alright, I think I will. As I posted before I think living abroad on my own with no one to answer to helped hugely in me staying off it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Garrett81

tinpib wrote: »
    Ya, I hear ya. It's funny but I hate the humm of a busy bar now, I used to get a buzz from the sound of people and the atmosphere back in my drinking days. It gave me energy.

I'm moving back to Ireland soon but after 19 months I'm thankfully well-used to sobriety now. I won't ever be going back to going to going out and staying out till 4am sober, but I am looking forward to visiting pubs during the day or early evening for a coffee or a coke for an hour or 2 max.

People warn against complacency but hopefully I'll be alright, I think I will. As I posted before I think living abroad on my own with no one to answer to helped hugely in me staying off it.

Great to seeing you doing so well. I can remember when I was trying to get sober i hated every social outing, every birthday, christening, funerals and worst of all Christmas. I won't lie I was miserable and thought I would never enjoy a social outing for the rest of my days without alcohol. My poor wife I don't know how she put up with me. Slowly all those things fadeaway with time and become insignificant. It's weird the way life turns out, I was at my first borns child's christening 3weeks ago, after 4hours of being in the pub with family, a good friend from AA asked me how I find being in pubs, and I said it's taking me 4 hours to even realise that there was even alcohol in the place even do I was surrounded by it.

"A man who reforms himself will reform thousands". Yogananda

How long are you off it, Garrett?

Ya, I pretty much white knuckled my first 3 times giving up permanently. The first of those was in Ireland and every weekend was at least a bit of a struggle, and I dreaded all the special occasions you mentioned. The other 2 were abroad.

The last milestone I had was going on my first holiday sober in April 2016. But it takes time. I have missed a few weddings over the past 19 months, and I was delighted to miss them. Just the peace of mind of not even having to worry about the drinking/not drinking part.

I feel so thankful that I have eventually gotten to the point where I would be quite happy going to these occasions now. But as other people say I am treating my sobriety as precious, and sure, I feel like I have one last binge in me but I really don't think I have one more recovery in me. I would hate to think of how I would feel if I did fall off the wagon and have to go through this process again.

tinpib wrote: »
    How long are you off it, Garrett?

Ya, I pretty much white knuckled my first 3 times giving up permanently. The first of those was in Ireland and every weekend was at least a bit of a struggle, and I dreaded all the special occasions you mentioned. The other 2 were abroad.

The last milestone I had was going on my first holiday sober in April 2016. But it takes time. I have missed a few weddings over the past 19 months, and I was delighted to miss them. Just the peace of mind of not even having to worry about the drinking/not drinking part.

I feel so thankful that I have eventually gotten to the point where I would be quite happy going to these occasions now. But as other people say I am treating my sobriety as precious, and sure, I feel like I have one last binge in me but I really don't think I have one more recovery in me. I would hate to think of how I would feel if I did fall off the wagon and have to go through this process again.[/

Over 4 years, I don't give advice really tintib but in my own life I avoid pubs altogether, if I want a coffee I go to the coffee shop. Reason being I was in and out of AA over ten years, a couple of treatment centres, psychiatric unit, and after a brief few months of sobriety I always had a plan of staying sober and having strength to sit in pubs with friends while everyone was drinking. This always ended in tradegy and I found myself back in that place you were on about, it isn't nice let me tell you, and it gets harder every time get back on track. The last time I drank i felt so ****e I literally was at the point of life or death and thought about checking out. I got lucky and got through it. I won't take a chance of sitting in a pub for anyone these days.

Garrett81 wrote: »
    I won't take a chance of sitting in a pub for anyone these days.

Gotya, I understand this bit here. It's too precious to take a chance as I said. Sounds like you have been through a lot, glad you are out of all that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

I feel so thankful that I have eventually gotten to the point where I would be quite happy going to these occasions now. But as other people say I am treating my sobriety as precious, and sure, I feel like I have one last binge in me but I really don't think I have one more recovery in me. I would hate to think of how I would feel if I did fall off the wagon and have to go through this process again.[/

Over 4 years, I don't give advice really tintib but in my own life I avoid pubs altogether, if I want a coffee I go to the coffee shop. Reason being I was in and out of AA over ten years, a couple of treatment centres, psychiatric unit, and after a brief few months of sobriety I always had a plan of staying sober and having strength to sit in pubs with friends while everyone was drinking. This always ended in tradegy and I found myself back in that place you were on about, it isn't nice let me tell you, and it gets harder every time get back on track. The last time I drank i felt so ****e I literally was at the point of life or death and thought about checking out. I got lucky and got through it. I won't take a chance of sitting in a pub for anyone these days.

Well done Garret.

A sign in a room I frequent has always stayed with me for my 6 year(in October).

"The person you were will drink again, the person you were will have to change again."

It means we have to change. Change our thought process, our habits and our routine, sometimes even who we spend our time with and where we spend that time. The latter was the hardest for me, I found it hard to let go of "mates" from my drinking days, I eventually realised how little we had in common and how little they had my best interests at heart. Whats the point of being friends with people who would be happier seeing you taking a substance that will leave people like us either dead, brain damaged or in jail. Whats worse is some of these people knew where alcohol was taking me but still wanted me to drink, which is beyond ****ed up.

Looks after yourselves people, tell anyone who doesn't have your best interests at heart to **** off.

I find this lad quite interesting to listen to

Nearly fell off the wagon yesterday. Been a bad week. Prolapsed disc. Cabin fever setting in.
    Could have demoloished a few cans last nght quite easily. TG i didn't. Today would have been 10x worse.
    2 months ...hope everyone is doing well.

I find this lad quite interesting to listen to

Nearly fell off the wagon yesterday. Been a bad week. Prolapsed disc. Cabin fever setting in.
    Could have demoloished a few cans last nght quite easily. TG i didn't. Today would have been 10x worse.
    2 months ...hope everyone is doing well.

Also out with a spinal injury since xmass, a lot of time spent on my own, meditation has made it all bearable.

Also out with a spinal injury since xmass, a lot of time spent on my own, meditation has made it all bearable.

Sorry to hear that dude. Physical pain is a personal thing that unfortunately can't be shared. Tell me more about the meditation. ...

Sorry to hear that dude. Physical pain is a personal thing that unfortunately can't be shared. Tell me more about the meditation. ...

It takes my mind off the pain, makes me realise how things can always be worse, helps me be grateful, calms my racing thoughts, helps me be self awRe and step away from dramas in life, makes me realise all my problems are created by my thinking . The list is endless, just think when one is laid up wat a perfect opportunity to practice.

Forgot to mention go to www.ripga.ie they have an excellent resource of how to meditate on their homepage

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Chopinlist66

Hi Folks,

Just checking in to give you an update of my progress. I have not had any wine over the past five weeks which is nothing short of a miracle for me. This is the longest I have managed in years. for the most part, I have had no mad cravings, and did not take any more selincro since the first tablet. That tablet was the most horrible thing I have ever put in to my body.
    I am delighted with myself, don't feel as 'edgy' or irritable as before, when I was drinking. Wouldn't say I have any eureka moments, nor do I feel 'on top of the world' but just on an even keel. Had a liver ultrasound yesterday, and thankfully it is grand. My liver enzymes will hopefully come down over the next months, and will be restored to full health, as I believe it to be a fairly forgiving and resilient organ. However this evening, I did consider buying a bottle of wine but just drank a large bottle of sparkling water and watched early episodes of Downton Abbey.
    How is everyone else getting on? Been very quiet lately!

Wouldn't say I have any eureka moments, nor do I feel 'on top of the world' but just on an even keel.

That would be a pretty good description of my sobriety this time around after almost 600 days sober. Glad you beat the temptation, always feels like a victory.

I'm moving back to Ireland shortly, have been thinking that over the past few days/weeks I notice that I am feeling more self-assured than I have done in years. It reminds me of how I felt before I started drinking, in a good way. Even though I haven't done a whole pile in many ways over that time I have probably matured a lot more due to being sober and present for 20 months.

We'll see how I get on back home, I don't feel too anxious about drinking, I think I'll be fine, let's see how I am after the initial novelty wears off.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

I don't drink that often and can honestly take it or leave it, I can go months without it. Being a bit of an antisocial sort who would happily sit at home alone with a book I force myself to go out with mates etc at the weekend to meet new people and socialise. Drinking, a lot of the time, seems to bring to the surface dark thoughts and loneliness that would never cross my mind when sober. I went out this evening pretty content and had a perfectly normal evening yet have come home feeling worthless and lonely. But other nights I can go out and have a great night and not feel like ****.

Does anyone else feel like that? How do you socialise and meet new people, potential partners etc without drinking? If I didn't go out with my friends at the weekend I'd have no social life at all

I went out this evening pretty content and had a perfectly normal evening yet have come home feeling worthless and lonely. But other nights I can go out and have a great night and not feel like ****.

Hey there,
    Your post reslly struck a cord with me. It can be difficult to socialise in this country especially when our culture is associated with alcohol but it can be done, but one needs to be open minded to other new social outlets. . I found things in limerick such as hill walking groups, meditation groups, for example, this arnt dating groups but it does put you in contact with other people who are also making the effort in putting themselves out there, and who are properly sick of the drinking scene also. I'm am nortiously interverted and my favourite thing to do is have the house to myself, boil the kettle and tuck in to a good book. However I do enjoy an hour or two in groups. Also if you continue to have expectations of meeting the perfect partner out on the town, and when it's time to go home ALONE one is bound to be down in the dumps. Be positive, be good to yourself and take a leap of faith and try new social outlets,and who knows you might even surprise yourself. !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Hi Folks,

Just checking in to give you an update of my progress. I have not had any wine over the past five weeks which is nothing short of a miracle for me. This is the longest I have managed in years. for the most part, I have had no mad cravings, and did not take any more selincro since the first tablet. That tablet was the most horrible thing I have ever put in to my body.
    I am delighted with myself, don't feel as 'edgy' or irritable as before, when I was drinking. Wouldn't say I have any eureka moments, nor do I feel 'on top of the world' but just on an even keel. Had a liver ultrasound yesterday, and thankfully it is grand. My liver enzymes will hopefully come down over the next months, and will be restored to full health, as I believe it to be a fairly forgiving and resilient organ. However this evening, I did consider buying a bottle of wine but just drank a large bottle of sparkling water and watched early episodes of Downton Abbey.
    How is everyone else getting on? Been very quiet lately!

That's great progress, just take each day as it comes. Downton abbey has kept me sane for the past two weeks with my loved one still in rehab it's not easy. Sometimes you just need to switch off. I can only imagine how difficult addiction is but also the habit of it which seems the hardest part once withdrawal is over with. Finding the reasons why a person drinks and then trying to change routine, habits etc. It can't be easy for you. As someone who has a loved one in rehab I think some of the best advice I got ...and this can apply to the alcoholic or their family is if you find it hard to take it one day at a time then just try to say to yourself ok I'll see how I'm feeling by this afternoon and just take it from there, then kind of check in with yourself that afternoon and see if you can take it till early evening on harder days that can help. Sometimes one day at a time feels too long and other days it flies by.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi all, posted a few times on this, drink too much, but not a raging alcoholic, certainly have an issue where I need booze at weekends, and struggle to do a weekend without it, thing is I have been having a few midweek of late, so going to try stop completely....even if I get a few weeks that would be great.....I just dont know if I can even do that long :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Anything is possible if you put your mind to it and take up other activities to occupy the mind. I was off it for a year and a half. I'm nearly back to the 100 day mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Hi all, posted a few times on this, drink too much, but not a raging alcoholic, certainly have an issue where I need booze at weekends, and struggle to do a weekend without it, thing is I have been having a few midweek of late, so going to try stop completely....even if I get a few weeks that would be great.....I just dont know if I can even do that long :-(

If you find you actually can't cope without it then it is a more serious issue, you don't have to drink every day to be an alcoholic or to have a high dependency for it. Some people who are not full blown alcoholics can cut back and make it not such an important thing in their lives but there is a fine line for those who have a more addictive or habitual nature. It's great that you recognise that it has become a problem for you, you can see how it's affecting you already and I guess there could be a chance if you have started drinking during the week because you feel you can't cope without it then it might only get worse to the point where your body will start craving it every day and then it's a slippery slope. You might be strong enough to do this on your own but don't feel like you can't ask for help, it's be a good idea to go to a gp you can trust to talk about and and the reasons behind it. Could be anxiety related but have a chat and see how they can help you. You might not feel you need something like AA because you don't consider yourself a full blown alcoholic but you don't have to be to go there. You might find it helps to go anyway just for the support while you are quitting and you might find the odd meeting might help to give yourself a top up when you're finding it hard. I always admire anyone who can admit that their drinking is getting out of hand, nipping it in the bud now will be a lot easier than waiting until things get worse. Take advantage of any help and support you can if you have a close family member or friend have a chat to them. You might find all you need is a couple of people around you for support but AA is there as an option if you need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Cheers, you are very accurate.......day 4 and ok.....just need to manage it.....weekends are the hardest.

Advertisement