Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

I stopped 4 months ago. I would never have considered myself alcoholic as I never had to drink much to get drunk, and I would confine myself pretty much to weekends. I have a hiatus hernia which has made it very difficult for me to tolerate any drink without nausea (especially craft beers, which were my poison of choice) but without it I might not have stopped. I can only offer my admiration and awe for those on this forum who've overcome far greater habits than mine.

What struck me when I stopped was how much I had looked forward to a few drinks at the weekend - I had never thought I was in any way dependent but in fact it was a real crutch. The crutch is gone now. I have way more energy and feel more alert, and my sleeping pattern is hugely improved. Most importantly, I have a completely adjusted and far more realistic appreciation of reality, rather than the false reality I managed to sustain with the help of a few drinks. It's a remarkable change, and for me there's no going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Garrett81

Big congrats, don't give up the ground you've gained for anyone or any thing ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

366 days since alcohol last helped to leave me feeling helpless, worthless, empty, despondent, afraid, and ashamed. A year and a day down. My life hasn't changed magically for the better, but I am much better able to handle whatever comes my way. This is the best thing that I have ever done for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

scriba wrote: »
    366 days since alcohol last helped to leave me feeling helpless, worthless, empty, despondent, afraid, and ashamed. A year and a day down. My life hasn't changed magically for the better, but I am much better able to handle whatever comes my way. This is the best thing that I have ever done for myself.

We'll done! That's a huge achievement, it's a slow process so it'll take time to get things moving the way you want them but any progress is a step forward. Don't hurry it just enjoy the moment I'm sure you and your family are very proud of you. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

6 years sober today, one day at at time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Kunkka wrote: »
    6 years sober today, one day at at time.

Outstanding Kunkka and to scriba . Isn't it just great to be free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Just over 4 months sober. Been a while since I've chatted on this.

Sometimes those thoughts in my head ask why don't you have a few?, sure I was never drinking that much to begin with anyway?. Sure it will be no harm?

But it's days like today you thank yourself so much for not agreeing to those thoughts. When you get those days you just need to enjoy it so much, I will never admit to being completely happy but today I'm just feeling really good about myself.

Another thing, the massive reduction of anxiety is just fantastic. I had a few heavy nights out earlier in the year after my 16 month spell of sobriety and it felt like I hit the reset switch. But those 16 months were not lost and I can see that still.

Sounds crazy but I prefer the winter over the summer, the weather is cool you can go out for nice walks in the evening without trying to navigate all that humidity. There is nearly a pressure to be out and doing something over the summer, I'm back to college part-time and there is definitely a bit more normality to my life again, I love the routine it mightn't be for everyone but that's me. I work shift work but hopefully with the degree I can go for something 9-5 like the rest of world :-)

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Just over 4 months sober. Been a while since I've chatted on this.

Sometimes those thoughts in my head ask why don't you have a few?, sure I was never drinking that much to begin with anyway?. Sure it will be no harm?

But it's days like today you thank yourself so much for not agreeing to those thoughts. When you get those days you just need to enjoy it so much, I will never admit to being completely happy but today I'm just feeling really good about myself.

Another thing, the massive reduction of anxiety is just fantastic. I had a few heavy nights out earlier in the year after my 16 month spell of sobriety and it felt like I hit the reset switch. But those 16 months were not lost and I can see that still.

Sounds crazy but I prefer the winter over the summer, the weather is cool you can go out for nice walks in the evening without trying to navigate all that humidity. There is nearly a pressure to be out and doing something over the summer, I'm back to college part-time and there is definitely a bit more normality to my life again, I love the routine it mightn't be for everyone but that's me. I work shift work but hopefully with the degree I can go for something 9-5 like the rest of world :-)

A very honest post, you're doing great. My loved one also gets those moments he's 4 months sober too, I guess in the big scheme of things it's still early days and there's no time frame with recovery. Each day sober is progress. My lived one is working long hours and he's wee Jed, in one way it's great but I do worry about him taking on too much and burning out but he's a grown man he'll know his limit. His anxiety was a huge reason for his drinking and that's eased off a lot now, he wasn't great with it on week 10 in rehab but by week 12 there was a huge difference. He's in a very low dose of anti anxiety meds non addictive very mild but they work without you even noticing with that, being able to talk more openly with me, family, friends and AA and his gp it's helped him hugely. He's not going to the recommended amount of meetings I'm sure you find that life gets in the way of trying to get to one too, you probably are still tired at the end of the day but maybe have more energy than a few months ago? I think the truck is not to rush it, its normal to want everything to work out straight away but it's worth taking your time, looking after yourself too but also having a bit of fun on the weekends taking up new interests. It sounds like you're getting there and relapse is never a failure if you've learnt from it. You should be proud of yourself:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tinpib

Unusual to see such a long gap between posts on this thread. Hope everyone is doing well.

Over 700 days for me and I'm back in Ireland a few months now. Was apprehensive about going to bars, but I've gone 4 times now overall including twice in the last week. I actually enjoy it, not as much as I did in my late teens/early twenties but I'm looking forward to going again.

I tried bars before when I gave up years ago and I was miserable because I really was missing out on all the fun around me, but now that 'fun' simply isn't there anymore. Sure, my friends are lorrying back pints but the fun/craic/giddyness just never ignites. I think we are too old[nearly 40], we don't have the energy of youth.

I'm starting to wish my friends could see this and be honest with themselves that it isn't fun anymore. I'm glad I stopped digging when I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

9 months AF. Its not been all rosey, and living in London nearly grinded me down a few times. Thankfully I've just moved out of london, hoping for good things in 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,123 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Another Christmas coming and all going well another one free from booze for me. Back in my drinking days I would have gone over the top buying all sorts of presents but I know that the best present I can give this Christmas to those I care about and who care about me is me, sober, normal, good company, dependable (plus of course a lift from the pub!). Happy Christmas to all, Ho Ho Ho!

Another Christmas coming and all going well another one free from booze for me. Back in my drinking days I would have gone over the top buying all sorts of presents but I know that the best present I can give this Christmas to those I care about and who care about me is me, sober, normal, good company, dependable (plus of course a lift from the pub!). Happy Christmas to all, Ho Ho Ho!

I can't stand the mass consurism aspect of Christmas. Its meant to be about spending time with family and friends, but the meeja have other ideas. Well done on staying AF :)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Wishing all the best to anyone who is struggling this xmas, whether because they are drinking don't want to be, not drinking but want to be or somewhere else altogether but not happy for whatever reason.

You aren't alone and there's always someone here on NDG to chew the fat with if you want some company.

hubba wrote: »
    Wishing all the best to anyone who is struggling this xmas, whether because they are drinking don't want to be, not drinking but want to be or somewhere else altogether but not happy for whatever reason.

You aren't alone and there's always someone here on NDG to chew the fat with if you want some company.

First chrimbo AF. Dunno how I'm gonna handle a week at home in rural Ireland. Im gonna be bored ****less Ah well, I'm still glad I'm off it.

Day 2 (again!!)

Day 2 (again!!)

Keep going, all them day twos add up and are the foundation for sobriety. I had nearly 13 years of day twos and never believed I’d be sober, nearly 5 years now. Ever time someone relapses so much learning can take place only if one chooses to look and open their eyes, because relapse shows us an area in our life we haven’t delt with yet. Never ever give up and well done for getting back on the horse. !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Garrett81 wrote: »
    Keep going, all them day twos add up and are the foundation for sobriety. I had nearly 13 years of day twos and never believed I’d be sober, nearly 5 years now. Ever time someone relapses so much learning can take place only if one chooses to look and open their eyes, because relapse shows us an area in our life we haven’t delt with yet. Never ever give up and well done for getting back on the horse. !

:P Yeah, in my own case it was that " alcohol and I have to part ways for good" part that wasn't "dealt with".

Welcome back Dunne, like Garret and others here it took me quite a few beatings from the bottle before I got on the real road of sobriety. This is my 15th sober Christmas (in a row!) and I am genuinely grateful to be.

For those interested, AA has a ton of meetings on over the holidays:
    http://www.alcoholicsanonymous.ie/Information-on-AA/Find-a-Meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bikubesong

This will be my second sober Christmas. Cautiously looking forward to it. Looking forward to going to meetings at my first 'home group' where I went into AA as a newbie, before moving out of home again.

Christmas can be hell for those who are struggling or emotional, I made so many bad memories over Christmas during my depressive drinking days. Wishing all the best to everyone on here, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a quiet festive season. It's one or two days and then it's largely over for another year.

Day 3 in the bag. Once it gets past 10pm I feel a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

200 days.

• Advertisement

Partner is 7 months sober, this will be his first sober Xmas since he was a child. When I think about it it's a huge change for him but something he chose and that's the main thing. He's avoided going to work Xmas parties, he was never big in to Xmas itself party wise but I'm sure now and then when he's bored he half wishes he was still drinking but the thought fades. He doesn't want to go back down that road and we're so proud of him. For anyone who has a recovering alcoholic in their lives, don't worry too much just enjoy this sober moment with your loved one and take each day as it comes. The more relaxed you are the easier it is for them. Happy Xmas folks :)

Fell off the wagon in spectacular form. Jesus lads, how can I stop this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Originally Posted by the dunne
    Day 3 in the bag. Once it gets past 10pm I feel a lot easier.

This was a post of yours from last week, and I only remind you of it to share how I too used to think like this: in other words, I spent years trying to control it, outrun it, out-think it, etc.
    And everything failed. I kept returning to drink and couldn't understand why.

AA showed me some info they had discovered, that people like them are different when it comes to alcohol, not only bodily but mentally too.
    And when I finally began to comprehend they weren't kidding about this stuff (lol-took a while ), I started listening, and eventually understanding, and then accepting that yes, I was just like them, that this was me too. I learned I am an alcoholic, that I can never safely drink alcohol-ever-and I was going to have to give their silly sounding program a real try.
    Or else.....

That was almost 16 years ago now, and thank God I haven't had to get yet another beating from the bottle as a reminder since. And the program I thought was so silly sounding has turned out to be the thing I am just about most grateful for in Life. Mostly cuz I now understand that without it, I wouldn't have much of one, or perhaps even have one at all.

So my suggestion is to try AA if you haven't yet, or if you have in the past and you think " it didn't work"---maybe open your mind to the possibility you missed something the first (or first few in my own case) times round.
    http://www.alcoholicsanonymous.ie/In...Find-a-Meeting

Lots of help on here anyhow no matter what road you choose, so hang in there.

Merry Christmas :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

When you're sick of pressure parties
    Heads wrecked from Jingle Bell
    You say f@?k the merry revellers
    May they all burn in hell

Tis the season to be Jolly
    Tis the season to be be blue
    Let's look out for each other
    We all won't make it through

So stand tall Lads and Lasses
    We are marching now for war
    For some it is our first time
    But many made it through before

Then Light a candle in the window
    Let a New Year begin
    Defeat don't mean surrender
    And a slip don't mean the end.

Tonight upon my couch I lie
    And I think the whole thing through
    And if you please won't drink with me
    I won't drink wth you.

Well my friend, your giving yourself a right aul hammering! It’s always less hassle to just stop drinking and get sober first time round but let’s get real in reality this is rare. Everyone struggles and falls including most people here, but one needs to pick themselves up, dust themselves and the self pity/guilt off and try again but it does take time. The self pity/guilt will only send you back out there , again my own experience, but please don’t be hard on yourself, it’s just another learning curve if you look closely at the minutes/hours leading up to the first drink and ask yourself what was going on in your head or your environment that keeps sending you back out for more punishment!

From knowing a few people in AA and my own road , those who gave themselves a right battering tend to be the ones who get sober and guard it with their life. Who knows time next year you can be the one sharing and helping others on this forum, but you can begin your journey by helping yourself right now and try again. Without a doubt I know you can do it, you just need to believe it yourself.

“One reformed man will reform thousands” yogananda

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭gifted

Fell off the wagon in spectacular form. Jesus lads,

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."

Never stop trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tinpib

Persistence. You want to stop again which is good. What can you learn from stopping/falling off the wagon this time? There will surely be something.

I've sworn 'never again' dozens of times to get me where I am now, 3 days short of 2 years sober.

Read this thread and check out all the links on this forum. And then promise yourself that no matter what happens or where you go or who you meet today you will not have a drink. Then go to bed sober and start all over again tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hope you all had a peaceful Christmas. Hope you're still getting some value out of having others to talk to in this forum.

Take it easy for New Years.

Dave

Very good advice there, not more to say only it's a very difficult thing to do on your own and accepting help and support and taking advice from people that already have been there is so important. If you haven't considered a place like cuan mhuire maybe ask yourself if it's time and are you ready for a change. I know it's hard to see it now but you will be amazed at how freeing it will be to be able to live your life sober and it's so worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Advertisement