Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Day one.....going to find this hard, dont intend to be off for good.....but if I got a month I would be delighted, lets see what a tight grip this stuff really has on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Day one.....going to find this hard, dont intend to be off for good.....but if I got a month I would be delighted, lets see what a tight grip this stuff really has on me.

One day at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

So, went to my GP before Christmas as I was feeling really poorly. Doctor asked me what my drinking habits are.

Embarrassed as hell, I told him the truth that I had been drinking every night for as long as I could remember ( 5-6 years at least ), anywhere from 4 to 8 beers a night.

Not surprisingly my GP was shocked and ordered blood tests. These are due at the end of the month. ( Purposely gave myself a few weeks grace to help detox )

His reaction and my accompanying aches and pains have spooked my into giving up the drink.

This is day 2 and I'm hoping I can stay clear off it for good. I might use this thread to help motivate me and keep you informed with my progress, good or bad.

Saganist, how are you sleeping without beer, I struggle in that area...

Saganist, how are you sleeping without beer, I struggle in that area...

Well its only day 2 but last night I was tossing for a good while before I nodded off. Went to bed around 11ish, got to sleep about 2ish.

Will let you know if tonight is any better but after being back in work today I feel really tired so hopefully tonight will be easier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

All the best with it Saganist, look after yourself and let us know how you're getting on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Saganist wrote: »
    Well its only day 2 but last night I was tossing for a good while before I nodded off. Went to bed around 11ish, got to sleep about 2ish.

Will let you know if tonight is any better but after being back in work today I feel really tired so hopefully tonight will be easier.

Fair play to you, if you can try and keep in touch with your GP to monitor your blood pressure etc. Or even pop to a reliable chemist to have it taken. Detox at home is difficult but doable but speaking from experience if you don't take the support from AA or the like relapse is common. I'm not saying you can't do this on your own because at the end of the day no matter where you go it's ultimately up to you but to make it easier on yourself and to get a better understanding of what to expect a good addiction counsellor or even an experienced AA member could help get you through the tough times. Even if the meetings do nothing for you just having the moral support can help hugely. You're not alone in this and there's so much help out there take advantage of it...it's free too.

Day 2 here......struggled with sleep last night too....but as you said back to work now, will be tired too.....onwards and upwards.

Day 2 here......struggled with sleep last night too....but as you said back to work now, will be tired too.....onwards and upwards.

Thanks for the support guys. Didn't get asleep until nearly 3am last night despite being tired. I still felt better this morning despite the lack of sleep so Day3, I have you right were I want you. :D

Watch Kevin o haras videos. They helped me no end. I'm 11months off it.

• Advertisement

Will do, day 3 here, slept well last night.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I haven't drank in years, but for some reason I felt the pressure or desire to drink over Christmas and the New Year. I didn't cave however, as I remembered I would be paying to self inflict a hang over upon myself, that and I don't like the inebriated/drunk version of myself. I can be a bit of an ehole.

So for the sake of a nice Christmas, New Years and generally feeling good about myself over the last few years, I haven't touched it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

I have being off it since New Yrs eve, Not a long time, but I had got in to the habit of drinking twice a week. I honestly thought a pint/ can was the equivalent to one unit. I was at the Doctor in December for a chest infection. It was the student Doctor I met. She asked me how much I drank a week and I gave her an honest answer. I thought I was pushing the boat a bit drinking around 24 units. It turns out I was having over 50 units a week.

She told me I was drinking too much and should cut back. I decided I would have the odd night out at Xmas and come Jan go off it completely. I have not had any cravings, restless nights or any of the symptoms that some people suffer.

pcuser wrote: »
    I have being off it since New Yrs eve, Not a long time, but I had got in to the habit of drinking twice a week. I honestly though a pint/ can was the equivalent to one unit. I was at the Doctor in December for a chest infection. It was the student Doctor I met. She asked me how much I drank a week and I gave her an honest answer. I thought I was pushing the boat a bit a about 24 units. It turn out I was having over 50 units a week.

She told me I was drinking too much and should cut back. I decided I would have the odd night out at Xmas and come Jan go off it completely. I have not had any cravings, restless nights or any of the symptoms that some people suffer.

Good to hear, I'm on Day 5 and had the best sleep last night that I've had in nearly 6 years.

Saganist wrote: »
    Good to hear, I'm on Day 5 and had the best sleep last night that I've had in nearly 6 years.

Well done. Are you saving the money you normally spend on Booze? I work in a bar and when people offer to buy me a pint I would normally have it at the end of the night. For December I brought a savings jar to work, When someone told me to have a drink i threw the €4 in to the jar, I opened it a few days ago there was €220 in it :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I have being off it since New Yrs eve, Not a long time, but I had got in to the habit of drinking twice a week. I honestly thought a pint/ can was the equivalent to one unit. I was at the Doctor in December for a chest infection. It was the student Doctor I met. She asked me how much I drank a week and I gave her an honest answer. I thought I was pushing the boat a bit drinking around 24 units. It turns out I was having over 50 units a week.

Some addictions can start out as a habit. 50 units is a lot and if you're not suffering from any symptoms, great! The next step would be to find something else to fill your time, as long as it's something you enjoy doing and not doing something for the sake of it.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Some addictions can start out as a habit. 50 units is a lot and if you're not suffering from any symptoms, great! The next step would be to find something else to fill your time, as long as it's something you enjoy doing and not doing something for the sake of it.
    Extra hours work in the pub :D . Im back training for my next marathon as well as working in the bar and some farm work. I have the oculus rift for the cold winter nights I have no work :) SO im pretty busy.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Some addictions can start out as a habit.

I have seeing that over the years with other Barmen. Starts as a pint here and there at work and before they know if they are missing work and out on the lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

11 years off alcohol since new years eve. Best moment this year was my 19 year old son telling me how proud he was of me. I am the person now who I was always meant to be.

lindtee wrote: »
    11 years off alcohol since new years eve. Best moment this year was my 19 year old son  telling me how proud he was of me. I am the person now who I was always meant to be.
    Inspirational. I'm off it 11 months and have grown more emotionally in that time that i've done in 20 years. Giving up booze is the easy bit. The hard bit is dealing with repressed emotions and finding out who you really are, or once were. Alcohol is a truly awful drug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I done the year off the beer on Monday. I don't plan to stay off for good but I've no desire to rush to grab a beer either.

lufties wrote: »
    Inspirational. I'm off it 11 months and have grown more emotionally in that time that i've done in 20 years. Giving up booze is the easy bit. The hard bit is dealing with repressed emotions and finding out who you really are, or once were. Alcohol is a truly awful drug.

Almost a year! Well done :) my OH is off it 7 months after doing a three month stint in rehab. He had tried a few times before but he needed to go through that until it finally clicked with him. Your so right about the repressed emotion, his drinking was a habit at first but a habit that went on far too long he became addicted many years ago but only started to think about giving up seriously a year ago. It took him a long time to get to this point and he's already matured ..it sounds crazy that about a grown man but emotionally he was very immature. I've learned that him being sober hasn't changed him deep down as a person he's just become a more emotionally mature, reliable version of himself. All his good qualities shine now any bad qualities he had disappeared once he was sober. Alcohol can turn people into something they're not deep down, there are things he would of done in the past that he'd never dream of doing now. Sobriety is not something to be scared of, it's exciting and new ok it is hard work at the start trying to earn trust on both sides and little doubts will creep in to an alcoholics families minds just like thinking about having a drink will creep in to the alcoholics mind but with the right support for the alcoholic and the family members in their life and some stubbornness sobriety can be a life changer for everyone. Not saying it's easy but it can be done. It's a very brave thing to do to face reality, I'm not sure I'd be as strong but I know if I was in the same situation I'd deffo need the support. Another thing I've learned is that it's not straight forward, it's a complicated addiction but also very interesting when you look in to the psychological side of it. I think for my OH having things explained clearly and learning about how alcohol effects the brain and body really helped. There's so many sides to it.

Almost a year! Well done :) my OH is off it 7 months after doing a three month stint in rehab. He had tried a few times before but he needed to go through that until it finally clicked with him. Your so right about the repressed emotion, his drinking was a habit at first but a habit that went on far too long he became addicted many years ago but only started to think about giving up seriously a year ago. It took him a long time to get to this point and he's already matured ..it sounds crazy that about a grown man but emotionally he was very immature. I've learned that him being sober hasn't changed him deep down as a person he's just become a more emotionally mature, reliable version of himself. All his good qualities shine now any bad qualities he had disappeared once he was sober. Alcohol can turn people into something they're not deep down, there are things he would of done in the past that he'd never dream of doing now. Sobriety is not something to be scared of, it's exciting and new ok it is hard work at the start trying to earn trust on both sides and little doubts will creep in to an alcoholics families minds just like thinking about having a drink will creep in to the alcoholics mind but with the right support for the alcoholic and the family members in their life and some stubbornness sobriety can be a life changer for everyone. Not saying it's easy but it can be done. It's a very brave thing to do to face reality, I'm not sure I'd be as strong but I know if I was in the same situation I'd deffo need the support. Another thing I've learned is that it's not straight forward, it's a complicated addiction but also very interesting when you look in to the psychological side of it. I think for my OH having things explained clearly and learning about how alcohol effects the brain and body really helped. There's so many sides to it.

As I said, abstaining for me has been the easy bit. Nobody tells you about facing feelings you've been repressing for so long. It kinda reminds me of that scene in fight club when the guy gets vinegar/acid poured on his hand and is forced to 'feel his pain' lol. 
    I'm just glad I've decide to quit reasonably young (mid 30s). Some friends of mine have rushed into settling down (wife/kids) due to societal pressures, without sorting out their own internal stuff. Getting a wife and kids isn't going to solve the problems you've been masking with alcohol for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

7 days and counting.

Feeling much better but a long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Coming up on seven years. My god the time has flown by!!!

I probably should have checked before I posted in this thread. Is it just supposed to be for alcoholics or can anyone post?

Cushtie wrote: »
    Coming up on seven years. My god the time has flown by!!!
    Has it been a good 7 years AF?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I probably should have checked before I posted in this thread. Is it just supposed to be for alcoholics or can anyone post?

Anyone , everyone is welcome as far as I know

As I said, abstaining for me has been the easy bit. Nobody tells you about facing feelings you've been repressing for so long. It kinda reminds me of that scene in fight club when the guy gets vinegar/acid poured on his hand and is forced to 'feel his pain' lol. 
    I'm just glad I've decide to quit reasonably young (mid 30s). Some friends of mine have rushed into settling down (wife/kids) due to societal pressures, without sorting out their own internal stuff. Getting a wife and kids isn't going to solve the problems you've been masking with alcohol for so long.

So true and I think that can be said for anyone, but we live and learn and you're still young with your whole life ahead of you. It's amazing how quick it comes together i think if people put the energy and effort to getting the money for their drinking every week to putting it towards something useful they could have so much more fun. OH spent a fortune on drink but we don't dwell on that we think ..what can we do now with the money between buying decent tools for wood work (he discovered that at the rehab centre he's bloody brilliant) and hopefully saving for a decent holiday there are so many other alternatives. Just a matter of finding what makes you happy and content doesn't have to cost the earth.

• Advertisement

So true and I think that can be said for anyone, but we live and learn and you're still young with your whole life ahead of you. It's amazing how quick it comes together i think if people put the energy and effort to getting the money for their drinking every week to putting it towards something useful they could have so much more fun. OH spent a fortune on drink but we don't dwell on that we think ..what can we do now with the money between buying decent tools for wood work (he discovered that at the rehab centre he's bloody brilliant) and hopefully saving for a decent holiday there are so many other alternatives. Just a matter of finding what makes you happy and content doesn't have to cost the earth.
    Thank you :) . My life is a bit all over the place, with a lot of time spent in hotels. Its nice to be in weird and wonderful places (with nice weather). However, its a lonely existence and a form of escapism, but it is what it is. Being AF makes me realise the stuff I never wanted to tackle.
    You certainly save a lot of money, spending on drinking is criminal when you think about it.

Advertisement