Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭tinpib

Was quiet round here recently.

I just passed 18 months sober and missed a stag weekend recently as I'm living abroad. Delighted to miss it really, just made things so much easier. Maybe about 10% of me missed all the craic but I'm getting close to 40 so the other 90% was glad to be relaxing. I have absolutely no desire to stay out drinking late.

After I had a late lunch today I felt pretty wrecked, and that's just me feeling normal after a good 7.5 hours sober sleep. I would absolutely dread to think of the way I would feel after a 2 night binge on a stag. Sunday to Wednesday morning would be hell on earth.

I've accepted the glory days of drinking are over, it's a tough habit to break but the diminishing returns of fun were slow and steady throughout my 30s.

Of course sobriety doesn't make everything magically better, I can flute around a fair but and could be more productive but I think I've outgrown drinking and hope to continue on this path.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Congrats tinnip 18 months is a serious achievement , now for the 2 year mark :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

tinpib wrote: »
    Was quiet round here recently.

I just passed 18 months sober and missed a stag weekend recently as I'm living abroad. Delighted to miss it really, just made things so much easier. Maybe about 10% of me missed all the craic but I'm getting close to 40 so the other 90% was glad to be relaxing. I have absolutely no desire to stay out drinking late.

After I had a late lunch today I felt pretty wrecked, and that's just me feeling normal after a good 7.5 hours sober sleep. I would absolutely dread to think of the way I would feel after a 2 night binge on a stag. Sunday to Wednesday morning would be hell on earth.

I've accepted the glory days of drinking are over, it's a tough habit to break but the diminishing returns of fun were slow and steady throughout my 30s.

Of course sobriety doesn't make everything magically better, I can flute around a fair but and could be more productive but I think I've outgrown drinking and hope to continue on this path.

yes exactly, its very hard to break the habit. I especially used to love a sunday session watching GAA. But i just remind myself how bad the aftermath is.

At 35 years old and 3 months without a drink, Im so glad i've embarked in this journey.

lufties wrote: »
    yes exactly, its very hard to break the habit. I especially used to love a sunday session watching GAA. But i just remind myself how bad the aftermath is.

At 35 years old and 3 months without a drink, Im so glad i've embarked in this journey.

There are dozens of reasons why I stopped and dozens of reasons why I have stayed off it for 18 months this time. One of the big ones I think is that I am living abroad on my own.

So missing weddings, stags etc was very welcome, plus getting out of the old routines and old temptations, as you have mentioned, and also not having to explain myself to everyone was a help too.

I put up a thread in after hours about the release of figures on alcohol treatment today.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057759587

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Spencer Winterbotham

4 years

I could've murdered a beer today...thankfully I didn't. 3 months and going strong

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bikubesong

Finally able to relax this evening after an intensely stressful few days, that would have certainly been complicated by drinking had it happened this time last year.

288 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

A month sober :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Amazingfun wrote: »

We are indeed on different tracks, as everyone knows I am an AA member through and through,

You can say that again. Do you remember the time you sent me a PM berating me because I wasn't fawning over the AA as you would have liked. As I recall I enquired as to which meetings you attended but for some reason you wouldn't tell me. Anyway good to see that you are still alive and kicking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

You can say that again. Do you remember the time you sent me a PM berating me because I wasn't fawning over the AA as you would have liked. As I recall I enquired as to which meetings you attended but for some reason you wouldn't tell me. Anyway good to see that you are still alive and kicking.

That's enough of the hostility and stuff thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

1 Month ... Over the moon. Going on a long cycle today after the dinner. Can't wait!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Garrett81

1 Month ... Over the moon. Going on a long cycle today after the dinner. Can't wait!!!

Well done fingers, what a gift your gave urself on a Sunday, can't beat it. Don't give up the ground u gained :)

Garrett81 wrote: »
    Well done fingers, what a gift your gave urself on a Sunday, can't beat it. Don't give up the ground u gained :)

I know i have to tread carefully. Was off it 2 months before this year but a wedding fecked me off the wagon. I'm staying away from pubs completely this time until i have 3 months under the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Well done Fingers, enjoy your day! And keep going, of course ;)

I know i have to tread carefully. Was off it 2 months before this year but a wedding fecked me off the wagon. I'm staying away from pubs completely this time until i have 3 months under the belt.[/quo

Give ursel a good shot this time, why not give yourself 12 months away from pubs,unless family occasions etc. Give yourself time away from that environment

Went to the pub last night, drank a few AF beers. Definitly close to cracking at one point. Glad I didn't

I know i have to tread carefully. Was off it 2 months before this year but a wedding fecked me off the wagon. I'm staying away from pubs completely this time until i have 3 months under the belt.[/quo

Give ursel a good shot this time, why not give yourself 12 months away from pubs,unless family occasions etc. Give yourself time away from that environment

Wise words Garrett. I think you may be right.

Wise words Garrett. I think you may be right.

I'm only speaking from my own personal experience I'm not trying to preach. I always had a 3month mark in my head and when I reached it, I would celebrate with alcohol and substances, this went on for years. Horrible way to live. Best of luck and I have no doubt you can do it. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

29 weeks off it now, just decided in the new year to try and give it up for a bit and have stuck to it. I'm going to try and do the full year , its a big deal for me as ive been binge drinking since i was 17. There have been times when things didnt go to plan and i thought feck it im going to get pissed, but id stay where i was for about half an hour and say to myself that i dont drink and it would be a shame to start back now after doing so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

50 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Marinjohn45

24 years ....best move of my life have never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭souls

hey guys, any cyclists amongst us? I was down in waterford for a break there recently and i cycled the greenway a beautiful scenic purpose built walk/cycle-way between waterford and dungarvan! i rented a bike and cycled down and back and absolutely loved every bit of it. I run regularly, but i really have to say i thoroughly enjoyed the cycling. perhaps have found a new hobbie to add to my sober life. I don't own a bike myself and I'm clueless about bike brands or types that might be more suitable than others? would really appreciate any advice! :) One day at a time.

I'm a cyclist myself and agree it's great for the head.
    There's a good cycling forum under the sports section on this site. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

lufties wrote: »
    Went to the pub last night, drank a few AF beers. Definitly close to cracking at one point. Glad I didn't

Good on you, are you seeking outside help for when you're struggling? Not trying to preach but just to be aware some AF beer still contains a small amount and it's the familiar taste and atmosphere that can set some people back. It's hard for when every aspect of irish life revolves around the pub. Keeping busy and trying new past times can help. AA can help especially if there are regular meetings near you, instead of the pub getting in to a routine of heading to an AA meeting instead can help. It depends what you find you get out of it even if it's not helping much it's still an alternative place to go and it's another step away from alcohol plus you could get set up with a sponsor so you'll have someone to call in if you are finding it hard.

24 years ....best move of my life have never looked back.

That's fantastic to hear and a big help to others to know it can be done. What did you find helped you through especially the first few years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Marinjohn45

That's fantastic to hear and a big help to others to know it can be done. What did you find helped you through especially the first few years?
    I took up playing squash and cycling which I still do to this day...I needed something to fill in my time when I gave up going to the pub..The mere fact of waking up every morning hangover free still gives me great joy,and of course having that extra money in my pocket helped..When I packed up drink it was 1.75 for a pint of lager..And of course a happier family life which is probably the biggest benefit for me.:D

The mere fact of waking up every morning hangover free still gives me great joy

Yep, I'm still like that after 19 months. Hasn't diminished at all.

I took up playing squash and cycling which I still do to this day...I needed something to fill in my time when I gave up going to the pub..The mere fact of waking up every morning hangover free still gives me great joy,and of course having that extra money in my pocket helped..When I packed up drink it was 1.75 for a pint of lager..And of course a happier family life which is probably the biggest benefit for me.:D

That's lovely to hear and very encouraging. I was reading somewhere where it said even on a stormy day in recovery is still better than an active day in addiction. I know a lot of quotes and stuff sound cheesy but when you really look in to the physical, mental and emotional turmoil alcoholism causes they do start making sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Great posts everyone. Keep going.

300 days down for me, since midnight just past. Time is a funny thing. Sometimes it feels like years since I last drank,, And others, it feels like yesterday. But no matter how long ago it feels, I'm certain that I never want to drink again. Ever.

Advertisement