Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Diaz via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

Just to weigh in on one point to be fair... overeem and miocic are in the same division full stop, competitively. Running with your back to somebody in that case is shocking stuff.

In terms of the McGregor thing, good small man Vs good bigger man!
    I'd give McGregor some latitude considering he was fighting way out of his division hitting a lad who's never really been stopped with punches!
    so it's fair to say he was punching a heavier man with a granite chin!!
    hats off, he did well.

overeem has been promising his amazing feats and K1 type deeds, since he walked into the UFC, none of which have come to fruition, least of all that joke last weekend.

I watched him in the K1 grand prix for a time and he was a freak, walking through guys, but he was juiced up to the gills!! now he's not juiced, he's older and he's expecting to have the same effect!!

he just aint delivering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Only difference for me was mgregor was doing it for survival, it was later on when he was properly gassed, it wasn't his strategy tohit and run all fight. He was also running for about 10-15 seconds in the 25 min fight. Overeem ran a lot more and just in the first round.

I had no problem with Overeem or Mcgregor doing it. Although for overeem if it stretched to 5 rounds that may have been an unacceptable amount.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

McGregor via Submission
    Mod: Lads if you are going to continue keep it at a civil conversation. People are allowed to like/dislike McGregor but if you are going to post it needs to be reasonable sensible discussion..any other crap like back seat modding or childish bickering and you can take some time off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

rusty cole wrote: »
    Just to weigh in on one point to be fair... overeem and miocic are in the same division full stop, competitively. Running with your back to somebody in that case is shocking stuff.

In terms of the McGregor thing, good small man Vs good bigger man!
    I'd give McGregor some latitude considering he was fighting way out of his division hitting a lad who's never really been stopped with punches!
    so it's fair to say he was punching a heavier man with a granite chin!!
    hats off, he did well.

overeem has been promising his amazing feats and K1 type deeds, since he walked into the UFC, none of which have come to fruition, least of all that joke last weekend.

I watched him in the K1 grand prix for a time and he was a freak, walking through guys, but he was juiced up to the gills!! now he's not juiced, he's older and he's expecting to have the same effect!!

he just aint delivering.

The running so early was a bit over the top from Overeem but in his defence he is not or never was a heavyweight,he is a light heavyweight that got on the juice,he is an excellent fighter but when he fights any legit heavyweights and they land on him he nearly always goes out,so its hard to blame him for running and to be fair his strategy almost worked.

• Advertisement

newbbieb wrote: »
    The running so early was a bit over the top from Overeem but in his defence he is not or never was a heavyweight,he is a light heavyweight that got on the juice,he is an excellent fighter but when he fights any legit heavyweights and they land on him he nearly always goes out,so its hard to blame him for running and to be fair his strategy almost worked.

he fought at heavy and has done so in the UFC for some time, juice or not, he's a heavyweight, with or without the aid of juice. I do understand what you mean by strategy but who goes to see a guy "Hit and Run" in the 1st round.. also, bad as he was too, compounding matters by talking abut a TAP which was shown to not have happened, made em look weak.

the gas part was in my opinon, Miocic is not in his class at all.. in fact he was there to be countered and kicked and beaten..dunno what was going on with overeem. Is someone told me he had staph in the morning, Id actually believe it, it wold make perfect sense. micoc is like the mummy!!!

rusty cole wrote: »
    he fought at heavy and has done so in the UFC for some time, juice or not, he's a heavyweight, with or without the aid of juice. I do understand what you mean by strategy but who goes to see a guy "Hit and Run" in the 1st round.. also, bad as he was too, compounding matters by talking abut a TAP which was shown to not have happened, made em look weak.

the gas part was in my opinon, Miocic is not in his class at all.. in fact he was there to be countered and kicked and beaten..dunno what was going on with overeem. Is someone told me he had staph in the morning, Id actually believe it, it wold make perfect sense. micoc is like the mummy!!!

Miocic is just a naturally bigger man,Overeem might be weighing 240ish thats coz he is still carrying some of that weight from when his frame blew up in his late 20s.

But when he was a fully grown man at 24 25 years of age he was long and thin closer to Nate Diaz in stature than the man he is now,and while he was on the juice it seemed he could hang with the heavyweights now you are seeing him clean up a bit,you can see that former LHW coming through coz he can't take any power from a real natural heavyweight.

I agree. you can see the difference in the overeem V shogun in pride and the overeem V everyone else in K1 and then the overeem on the scales for brock lesnar!!

he should go back to 205 at least then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

McGregor via Submission
    darced wrote: »
    I have said it before, non-gassed Conor is probably the best striker ever to fight MMA

Was this bit sarcasm? Or a bad joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Jesus....is non gassed conor a thing now? like sea level cain....or full camp mendes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

dashoonage wrote: »
    Jesus....is non gassed conor a thing now? like sea level cain....or full camp mendes...
    Don't forget TRTitor

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Don't forget TRTitor

Motivated BJ Penn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission
    while we're at it, Ubereem!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    Depp wrote: »
    Horse meat Ubereem, to give him his full title.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Rehab'd Jon Jones?

McGregor via Submission
    TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Rehab'd Jon Jones?

woulda said sober Jon Jones meself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Depp wrote: »

Econoreem.....

Diaz via Submission

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Cruz or Overeem would be right up there with him anyway.
    Cruz would be similar ish
    Overeem - when he's not trying to run away - is a very good striker

My opinion anyway, not sure if any others could come close

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Cruz or Overeem would be right up there with him anyway.
    Cruz would be similar ish
    Overeem - when he's not trying to run away - is a very good striker

My opinion anyway, not sure if any others could come close

I would agree with what Darced just said,i think Conors stand up when he is on for them first couple of rounds is the best stand up in mma,i don't think anyone is close.

I don't think the Cruz comparison stands up,Cruz is more of an accumulation striker,a point fighting style whereas Conor is a finisher,Cruzs defence over 5 rounds is definitely something to behold but his actual offensive striking isn't that special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

darced wrote:

Have to laugh at Diaz calling out mcgregor on this when he did the exact same thing himself against Michael johnson.

It's reseting.

I'll grant you mcgregor did it alot more, but would you critize a wrestler or grappler for clinching when tired continuously.

Not saying your wrong of course I just have a different view of things.

Also I think it's a bit annoying that yourself and a few others are being slated for knocking mcgregor.

This is a debate after all there will be opposing views. But I see no reason to be uncivil about it.

McGregor via Submission
    When he is in full flow like the first round and a half in Diaz 2 I don't think any FW ever could live with him on the feet, its the best striking I have seen in MMA. He definitely tires and the defence goes to pot a bit.

Who is a better striker do you think? I know cardio is also a part of striking but I am ignoring that, talking about pure techniques.

Wonderboy for a start.

McGregor via Submission
    wonderboys kicks are better definitely but I'd rate conors hands higher

McGregor via Submission
    Anderson for another.

Diaz via Submission

Diaz via Submission

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

A year ago today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Paully D wrote: »
    A year ago today.

**** off no way. i aint been livin right...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

What do people think of Nate not fighting anyone since McGregor? Does he think that he can just sit back and do nothing and still get a 3rd fight eventually? Even if he does, he probably won't have fought in nearly 2 years by the time it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Submission
    I'm not sure Nate could even make 155 anymore. He's putting himself out of the picture now anyway with Ferguson, Lee, Khabib and then Max at FW all lining up for possible fights.

Anyway, 1 year to the date that Conor ran for 5 rounds, 50-45 Nate WHAT!

Advertisement