Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

McGregor via Submission
    JustTheOne wrote: »
    I am serious.

How can you score points if you're not landing punches?

Octagon control, takedowns, getting the better of your opponent in the clinch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Just watched it folks.

No punches landed on the ground.

So if you swing but don't connect it's still pound and ground and you get points for not connecting?

Interesting.

Stop it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Submission
    Im aware. Which is why I'd give 1 and 4 to Conor, 3(which I'd call as 10-8) and 5 to Nate, and 2 as debatable, but I'd give to Nate because besides the knockdown Conor was on the back foot throughout.

Re-reading this thread and even by your stunning level of anti-Conor, these sour grapes take the biscuit.

Interested to know if you have re-watched Round 2 since?

It was 2 knockdowns for a start.

Nate barely laid a hand on Conor for 3 and a half mins of the 2nd round.

It was embarrassingly one sided!!!! And the last 40 second flurry all Nate did was bounce shots off shoulders and Conor snuck in strikes.

Round 2 is borderline 10-8 to Conor up until about 20 seconds to go, and i'd only give 10-9 based on the fact Nate connected with 2 clean punches.

SMH.

As Kavanagh noted today, Round 3 (the one 10-8 was given by 1 Judge) is actually so close to a 10-9 conor or 10-10 if you score it objectively over the 5 minutes. Conor shaded the first 4 mins. Nate flurried for a minute.

I've seen 3 prominent Journalists from Bleacher Report, MMA Fighting and now MMAJunkie come out after a re-watch with Muted commentary and give it to Conor 49-46 or 49-47.

10-9, 10-9, 9-10, 10-9, 10-10 i feel is the perfect score for 49-47.

The takedown at the very end for Nate can't be weighted heavily whatsoever given it's duration (9 seconds) and damage (minimal).

You can make a strong case Nate didn't win any of the rounds clearly. Conor won 3 rounds decisively.

Also, as a final point - people keep saying Nate has so much Scar Tissue and bleeds easily. Go re-watch the RDA fight, the Johnson fight, the Rory Mac fight..... he was trickling blood at worst. He looked barely touched against Johnson.

Conor was the first man to ever drop Nate 3 times in a fight from strikes and he busted his face into pieces.

I look forward to Darced and Subcomandante Marcos cheerleading Eddie Alvarez in 12 weeks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

McGregor via Submission
    Re-reading this thread and even by your stunning level of anti-Conor, these sour grapes take the biscuit.

Interested to know if you have re-watched Round 2 since?

It was 2 knockdowns for a start.

Nate barely laid a hand on Conor for 3 and a half mins of the 2nd round.

It was embarrassingly one sided!!!! And the last 40 second flurry all Nate did was bounce shots off shoulders and Conor snuck in strikes.

Round 2 is borderline 10-8 to Conor up until about 20 seconds to go, and i'd only give 10-9 based on the fact Nate connected with 2 clean punches.

SMH.

As Kavanagh noted today, Round 3 (the one 10-8 was given by 1 Judge) is actually so close to a 10-9 conor or 10-10 if you score it objectively over the 5 minutes. Conor shaded the first 4 mins. Nate flurried for a minute.

I've seen 3 prominent Journalists from Bleacher Report, MMA Fighting and now MMAJunkie come out after a re-watch with Muted commentary and give it to Conor 49-46 or 49-47.

10-9, 10-9, 9-10, 10-9, 10-10 i feel is the perfect score for 49-47.

The takedown at the very end for Nate can't be weighted heavily whatsoever given it's duration (9 seconds) and damage (minimal).

You can make a strong case Nate didn't win any of the rounds clearly. Conor won 3 rounds decisively.

Also, as a final point - people keep saying Nate has so much Scar Tissue and bleeds easily. Go re-watch the RDA fight, the Johnson fight, the Rory Mac fight..... he was trickling blood at worst. He looked barely touched against Johnson.

Conor was the first man to ever drop Nate 3 times in a fight from strikes and he busted his face into pieces.

I look forward to Darced and Subcomandante Marcos cheerleading Eddie Alvarez in 12 weeks. :D

I agree with alot of what you're saying here but too say Diaz didn't win any around decisively is false. He clearly won the 3rd and 5th imo. While the takedown and 9 seconds of octagon control don't do much with 9 seconds left, for me it was enough to tip an evenly balanced round Diaz's way.

Anyone who thinks Rd 2 was for Diaz and Rd 3 was a 10-8 is blinded by their hate for Conor.

McGregor via Submission
    TimRiggins wrote: »
    I agree with alot of what you're saying here but too say Diaz didn't win any around decisively is false. He clearly won the 3rd and 5th imo. While the takedown and 9 seconds of octagon control don't do much with 9 seconds left, for me it was enough to tip an evenly balanced round Diaz's way.

Anyone who thinks Rd 2 was for Diaz and Rd 3 was a 10-8 is blinded by their hate for Conor.

I really just don't see the 5th like that but it's a game of opinions. Really felt Conor was doing the cleaner work.

On a side note, it was kinda hilarious listening to the corner audio of Round 5. Kavanagh did the "ah for fecks sake" voice when conor threw that knee, after spending the whole minute telling him to stick to the jab :pac:

On a further side note, apparently "King Conor" has caused the break up between J-Lo and her boyfriend of 6 years. Her boyfriend is the fella on crutches beside Kanye (for anyone who watched the MacLife video). He was supposed to be at a fundraiser with herself and chose to go support Conor :pac:

Must be fair surreal...... to be on "Pablooooo" basis with Kanye West, whatsapping Ronaldo daily, hanging with Leonardo diCaprio, friends with Niall Horan and Bieber........shows ya how weird and wonderful life can be sometimes!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Must be fair surreal...... to be on "Pablooooo" basis with Kanye West, whatsapping Ronaldo daily, hanging with Leonardo diCaprio, friends with Niall Horan and Bieber........shows ya how weird and wonderful life can be sometimes!!

Only 3 years ago he was popping into the Post Office on his way to the airport to collect his dole before flying to take on Brimage. It's an unbelievable story. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Diaz via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Paully D wrote: »
    Only 3 years ago he was popping into the Post Office on his way to the airport to collect his dole before flying to take on Brimage. It's an unbelievable story. :)

How much did Cage Fighters pay him? Surely it was enough to get him off the dole :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

McGregor via Submission
    How much did Cage Fighters pay him? Surely it was enough to get him off the dole :o

Cage warriors you mean??

Not even close to enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

joe rogan and eddie bravo breaking the fight down now live if anyone interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

darced wrote: »
    Hahahahahaha wow, you are such a hater. It wasn't even close to being stopped 3 times. There is maybe an argument that had Nate got more time to work at the end of the 3rd it may have ended, but I highly doubt it would have. Conor never looked hurt and he was wrecked at the 5th, hence Nate got the takedown but he did nothing with it for the last 15 seconds.

Conor was very good in this fight, and saying that Nate has been beaten 10 people says nothing about how tough it is to beat him. He has only been stopped twice ever, he is extremely hard to beat. Just because he has lost 10 times isn't bad. He is not a man that does enough work to win decisions, he has flurries that can knock you out or get you on the ground for a submission. Conor did well at a weight that Diaz is more easy to get to. At 155 it will be a different story.

Stop hating on Conor and admit that Conor did really well and won the fight fair and square and did a good job doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Diaz via Decision
    Man just listened to Mark Henry on the talking brawls podcast, now that guy is a ****ing hater. Jesus, zero credit for Conor. Jealous ****s, Conor did get a padded rise to the top and you cant deny the push and favoritism he gets, but he brings in the $$$ $$$. So eff the haters. Enjoy the ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,039 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    Stuxnet wrote: »
    Conor did get a padded rise to the top
    He really didn't tbh.
    Frankie and Mendes didn't fight each other either before their shots against Aldo's title. In fact, take all Aldo's UFC opponents. None of them had a run to the title that was any more difficult to Conor's. The difference is he won.
    When you include the Mendes interim champ fight, Conor's run was harder than the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Diaz via Decision
    Come on, title shot after beating Siver :rolleyes:

Im not hating dont get me wrong, I like Conor, he was rushed to the front of the line, there is no denying it if your honest with yourself

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't think he was rushed, you could argue that he shoulda/woulda/coulda had one more fight before the Aldo fight.

On the other hand when you're beating guys as straight forwardly as he was that's a good reason for the title shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,342 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

McGregor via Submission
    Stuxnet wrote: »
    Come on, title shot after beating Siver :rolleyes:.

Im not hating dont get me wrong, I like Conor, he was rushed to the front of the line, there is no denying it if your honest with yourself

Chad Mendes got his first shot at Aldo after beating Rani Yahya. Your point is completely redundant with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/Conor_McGregor_Corner_Audio_vs_Nate_Diaz_UFC_202_Part_1/10136946

Great stuff this. After the first knock down, you can see Kavanagh in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

McGregor via Submission
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Chad Mendes got his first shot at Aldo after beating Rani Yahya. Your point is completely redundant with that.

Saying McGregor was pushed doesn't equate to saying nobody else was ever pushed. How is it redundant?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,342 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

McGregor via Submission
    Saying McGregor was pushed doesn't equate to saying nobody else was ever pushed. How is it redundant?

It's redundant because he was baffled at McGregor getting a title shot off the back of defeating Siver, while Mendes never took any stick for getting his shot after beating a gatekeeper too.

All I'm saying is that people can't use the "protected" excuse about McGregor and not mention others who got an easy ride to a title shot.

McGregor via Submission
    Of course he can - it's McGregor under discussion, not Mendes.

Lesnar got pushed towards his title shot, without doubt before he deserved it. That has zero impact whatsoever on whether McGregor did or not. Just like Mendes. The only thing different about the analogy is the weight class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

It really matters little whether he was pushed to the top of the featherweight que or not. Fact is he was ready to assume the role of feather weight champ and did so by beating the one of the best feather weights (mendes) and then beating the undisputed featherweight king of the last number of years (Aldo). If anything it reflects just how good Conor is that he could achieve all that in such a short period of time.

McGregor via Submission
    It really matters little whether he was pushed to the top of the featherweight que or not. Fact is he was ready to assume the role of feather weight champ and did so by beating the one of the best feather weights (mendes) and then beating the undisputed featherweight king of the last number of years (Aldo). If anything it reflects just how good Conor is that he could achieve all that in such a short period of time.

That is indeed the crux of it. Pushed or not, he certainly capitalised and left no questions unanswered. People might say Edgar is still there but after what Aldo did to him, I think Frankie's dreams of a shot are dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

McGregor via Submission
    Of course he can - it's McGregor under discussion, not Mendes.

Lesnar got pushed towards his title shot, without doubt before he deserved it. That has zero impact whatsoever on whether McGregor did or not. Just like Mendes. The only thing different about the analogy is the weight class.

Not really, what the others are pointing out is that it was a fairly standard ascent to the title for that weight class. Circumstance & timing are also a massive factor.

McGregor via Submission

Something been done 10 times before? No re-invention of the wheel?

Nate Diaz has had 30 fights.

He had ONCE been beaten in a full 5 round fight before he faced Conor.

How did Benson Henderson beat him? He took him down. Repeatedly. 8 takedowns in 25 mins. A takedown in every single round.

An All-American wrestler used his amazing wrestling to take Diaz down, keep him down and land strikes every Round. Even that didn't stop the Zombie.

Conor is a striker. He is the first pure striker to stand 5 rounds toe-to-toe with Nate Diaz and emerge victorious.

Furthermore, Nate's amazing cardio comes into even bigger focus in the later rounds. I seriously wonder how many of those 3 round bouts he lost would have been losses over 5 rounds.

Your unwillingness to give Conor and his coaching team credit for what they achieved in this fight is not surprising given your attitude towards Conor.

It is rather childish though.

Conor haters had these opinions pre-fight:

Nate will win. He's too big, too tall, too much reach, his BJJ is far superior, Conor doesn't have the cardio for 5 rounds etc etc.

Oh, even if Conor wins he's only beating a 19-10 guy who should be fighting at LW.

Let's be real, Conor could get in with Stipe Miocic and score a ridiculous flying armbar and you still wouldn't give the guy credit.

ps. Of all the hate you've spewed Conors direction, the accusation he "gave in" at the end of the 5th takes the prize.

He was grappling in the clinch right until the end and Nate is very good at that throw.

Conor showed amazing skill and heart in that fight and the one thing you should never say is "he gave in again". He did the exact opposite. He fought as best he could until the very end.

McGregor via Submission
    Conor haters had these opinions pre-fight:

Nate will win. He's too big, too tall, too much reach, his BJJ is far superior, Conor doesn't have the cardio for 5 rounds etc etc.

You don't have to be a "hater" to have held that opinion. Based on the first fight, holding that view would have been perfectly reasonable and logical, regardless of specific opinions about McGregor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You don't have to be a "hater" to have held that opinion. Based on the first fight, holding that view would have been perfectly reasonable and logical, regardless of specific opinions about McGregor.

Agreed, I wasn't confident of a win myself given how the first fight went. I was delighted to be proved wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Diaz via Submission

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

You know absolutely nothing about MMA. If one of the best referees, a guy who knows way more about MMA and it's rules than 99.99% of people in the world, thinks Conor was resetting, he was resetting. He stood toe-to-toe with him for more than 1.5 rounds.

Wow, people knocked Diaz out/beat him. So what? Only two people have ever finished Nate in his MMA career, 2! For a man that has fought 30 times, that is incredible. Again, I said this to you before, Nate is not good at get decisions. He doesn't do enough work to win the fight (and I'll get onto the whole "points win" thing in a minute), but he does have knockout and submission power. He is a scary dude. Conor never, apart from the end of the 3rd round, looked in trouble. He looked like he might gas completely but he held on to win round 4.

Yes, Nate got out from the takedown, because he is better at BJJ than Conor. He was very good at getting out of it. But the fact Conor got him down is a positive. Also, Conor didn't just "give in". Nate got both legs and was in a position to get a full mount, but Conor closed the legs around Nate to ensure that couldn't happen. That's not giving in, that's good ground-work and kept him safe. Nate did nothing in the guard because Conor wouldn't let him, so he didn't "give in".

Finally, a points win is still a win. Conor tried to knock him out but he did way more work in the 3 rounds he won than Nate did in the 2 he won. Conor was the better fighter on the night, simple. Sure, he came up with a gameplan for Nate but every fighter comes up with a gameplan for their opponents. Conors is normally try and knock the dude out, Nates is either knock the dude out or make him tap. Nate's gameplan didn't work, Conor used his to perfection and Nate couldn't deal with it. Conor deserved to win the fight, stop arguing that Conor wasn't very good at what he did, even if you do support Conor you are coming off as a begrudger.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Long time lurker in this thread never posted before
    But after watching the video with his corners commentary hats off to Conor
    He followed his orders most of the time anyway and got the result he wanted
    Have to admit I was worried watching it at the time but he pulled through and most important he won
    This fight will be the making of him in my opinion
    Looking forward to whatever journey he brings us all on next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Hypothetical

Joe Duffy vs Diaz who wins?

Advertisement