Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor via Submission
    Yeah, totally agree.

Watching it live I felt it could go either way when it ended but watching it with either corner's commentary and it just looks like a no brainer that Conor won. Round 3 in particular looks so much different. A round he didn't win but it's amazing how much closer it looks without Rogan screaming.

One think I noticed about Round 4 is that Nate looked spritely at the start but Conor gives him a kick in the side and his Corner says 'Oh, that's hurt him' and Nate slows and does little for that round then. Not something I noticed at all first time but now it looks huge as Conor was so tired after round 3 that I had thought Nate had him if I'm honest.

Was kind of funny hearing JK get pissed off a little when corner did a spin kick. Understandable though as Nate caught one of them an almost took Conor down. Another thing which really surprised me watching the fight with Nate's corner's commentary was how sure they where Nate had won. I think it was Jake maybe that even kept asking Nate before the result if they could all lift him up. They were convinced, as they were many times also that Conor was done, which makes watching the fight with the Diaz corner's commentry quite satisfying in many ways :p

As an aside, question for anyone that watches a lot of fights with corner commentaries: are there any fighters who don't like two or three members of their corner constantly shouting support / instructions at them? As I think that would wreck my head if I was a fighter. Sometimes some of the stuff being said was contradictory.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,860 ✭✭✭✭CSF

scudzilla wrote: »
    My wife came up with this idea for round scoring, and she was totally serious :(:(

The squeeky things that are in dogs toys shall be put in a fighters glove, every time the glove squeeks then a point is awarded, one with most points wins round :pac::pac:

Asked he what about kicks, knees, takedowns etc, not worth a shoite she said :rolleyes::rolleyes:

End it man

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Diaz via Submission
    Big John's take on things, hopefully people can stoo spouting the fight was nearly stopped in the third. He says it how it was conor was rolling ans blocking most of the shots against the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission
    ASOT wrote: »
    Big John's take on things, hopefully people can stoo spouting the fight was nearly stopped in the third. He says it how it was conor was rolling ans blocking most of the shots against the cage.

just waiting for someone to jump on saying ''hes a ref not a judge'' :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor via Submission
    Audio stops on that video just after 7min?

No idea how that guy interviewing him can say that he would have no problem with the fight being stopped. Bizarre thing to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Submission
    Depp wrote: »
    just waiting for someone to jump on saying ''hes a ref not a judge'' :D:D:D
    Audio stops on that video just after 7min?

No idea how that guy interviewing him can say that he would have no problem with the fight being stopped. Bizarre thing to say.

That was mind boggling the interviewer challenging John and insisting it was a 10-8 round.

Anyone who says John McCarthy is "a ref" clearly knows nothing about MMA.

The sport of MMA owes a serious amount to John McCarthy. He was a huge factor in getting the Unified Rules, huge factor in training Judges etc.

He's one of the Pioneers of MMA.

RE: Rogan - it's not just Irish or McGregor fans saying it. Some really surprising figures have absolutely trashed him for the bias he showed. Journos like Jonathan Snowden of Bleacher Report - who is the bigger McGregor troll imaginable - said it was insanely biased and probably influenced by a shared love of weed.

That beautiful 1-2 Conor landed was met with pure silence. 2 hard elbows on leaving the clinch met by silence. The 3 Knockdowns were met by a monotone "he tagged him Mike".

Contrast that with when Conor slipped. That warranted a shriek of "Conors in trouble". In the late rounds, Nate threw the most weak, tired 4 punch body combo i've ever seen in my life. It was Mr Burns esque comical. No slight on Nate, they were both knackered, but Rogan said "oh he's letting rip on him!".

Even contrast the post-fight interviews. First fight, smiles and laughter when Nate put his hands on the mic. When Conor did it Rogans face tensed up and got annoyed.

Even contrast it to the smile Rogan had when Conor beat Mendes and Aldo. Rogan was all smiles.

Point here is that there was a clear, obvious bias with plenty of evidence to back it up.

I hope it doesn't carry forward into Conors next fight, whether it's Alvarez, Aldo, GSP whoever he pulls out of the hat. It really does influence the casual fan and i think part of the reason fans get offended is Conor deserves better than that. Forget the Diaz fans or McG fans .....the neutral casual fans came away from that fight call thinking Diaz was robbed. The fact he made such a song and dance over that takedown in the 5th with 9 seconds left, omitted Conors takedown, and casually said "that could be huge on the scorecards"........that leaves the casual fan thinking Nate won. that's 100% down to Rogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

At the time I thought Diaz nicked the fight. I turned off the commentary and watched it back and it was a clear 3-2 for McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

McGregor via Submission
    The latest Maclife video is epic. You can feel the tension before the fight. I hope they keep the videos coming along with Roddy's behind the scenes videos as they added immensely to the build up to the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Diaz via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    darced wrote: »
    I agree. I had Conor ahead in the 5th, but turned to a mate at the bell and said that finish wins the round.

Two rounds were really close.j

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Rewatching Diaz vs Johnson. Johnson lands 20 unchecked leg kicks in the first round and this is apparently the best Diaz has ever looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

JJayoo wrote: »
    Rewatching Diaz vs Johnson. Johnson lands 20 unchecked leg kicks in the first round and this is apparently the best Diaz has ever looked.

I don't think he ever has a good first round.

Rewatched Diaz vs RDA :( fairly brutal

Diaz via Submission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

JJayoo wrote: »
    Rewatched Diaz vs RDA :( fairly brutal

RDA was emphatic that night, an unbelievable performance.

The sound of those kicks, and then bossing him on the ground. A calm RDA with a game plan is one scary baxtard.

Imagine if Diaz ever fights Barbossa :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Diaz via Decision
    Did anyone see the one two combo Mcgregor threw near the end of the 4th round,amazed he didnt drop Diaz with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

McGregor via Submission
    Found that corner commentary very interesting. Thanks for posting.
    It was like they had a remote control for Conor at times. After a shout of "kick the leg", "jab Conor" or "hands up" you can see him reacting a second later.
    Great to see they had a plan for every scenario too. Like when he knocked Nate down, you can hear them telling Conor to back away straight away. The first time it happened it looked like he was thinking about getting on top to go for the finish but stuck to the plan and executed it brilliantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

How are the two takedowns even comparable? Nate got straight back up, that should count for very little on a scorecard.

Nate took Conor down controlled him and got off ground and pound, that did indeed win the round for Nate and rightfully so.

Ground and pound?

I missed that bit.

By the way where can I find the sbg corner audio?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Diaz via Decision
    You missed where Diaz took McGregor down and laid into him?

3969870.jpg

The audio is in this thread somewhere I am pretty sure

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

John Kavanagh speaking about the 3rd round. I feel Diaz won the round, but I agree completely with his thoughts on Trowbridge who scored it 10-8 to Nate.

http://www.the42.ie/john-kavanagh-column-26-august-2016-2949806-Aug2016/?utm_source=twitter_self
    Speaking of that round, the more I watch it the more I’m convinced that Conor won it. Conor had the better of four minutes of the round, but Diaz came back at the end with a flurry. The crowd went bananas during that last 45 seconds or so and I wonder if the judges were possibly swayed by that.

If you watch it back in slow-motion, most of the shots from Diaz were either rolled, parried or landed with the forearm. There were very few decent connections, yet the first four minutes of the round were still forgotten. One judge actually scored that round 10-8 to Diaz. That individual should be immediately removed from his role because he clearly hasn’t got the slightest idea of what’s going on in combat if he deems that to be worthy of a 10-8.

You missed where Diaz took McGregor down and laid into him?

3969870.jpg

The audio is in this thread somewhere I am pretty sure

Funny.

I seen Diaz take him down. I didn't see him pound him on the ground.

A few punches that didn't land is what I seen.

Paully D wrote: »
    John Kavanagh speaking about the 3rd round. I feel Diaz won the round, but I agree completely with his thoughts on Trowbridge who scored it 10-8 to Nate.

http://www.the42.ie/john-kavanagh-column-26-august-2016-2949806-Aug2016/?utm_source=twitter_self
    I'm actually watching the 3rd round right now and I agree!

But the last few seconds swayed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Diaz via Decision
    JustTheOne wrote: »
    Funny.

I seen Diaz take him down. I didn't see him pound him on the ground.

A few punches that didn't land is what I seen.

Yeah, he hits him on the ground. If you wanna complain about judges maybe you should learn to look a little more objectively yourself?

To claim he didn't land a strike on him is ridiculous.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Yeah, he hits him on the ground. If you wanna complain about judges maybe you should learn to look a little more objectively yourself?

To claim he didn't land a strike on him is ridiculous.

OK did he pound him on the ground?

A few punches doesn't mean pound and ground.

Diaz via Submission

Diaz via Submission

Just watched it folks.

No punches landed on the ground.

So if you swing but don't connect it's still pound and ground and you get points for not connecting?

Interesting.

Diaz via Submission

• Advertisement

You can quite clearly see the first left hand landing, you cant actually see if the other shots land because Nate is obscuring the camera. None of that matters anyway because Nate still got the takedown secured control and got off ground and pound. I'm not sure if you are serious.

I am serious.

How can you score points if you're not landing punches?

Advertisement