Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

In fairness if rogan is looking in the cage he is looking up so probably sees the movement backwards. Any sort of mis step can look like hes not steady. Not sure why so much hate for rogan most of the time he says someone is rocked hes correct and he would have the perfect view whereas on tv you mainly only see the upper bodies.

He has a history of being biased towards his favourite fighters. Rhonda was the worst case of it. "Once ever athlete" and all that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

UFC 202 3rd behind UFC 100 and UFC 196 in PPV buys.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/768245632171511808

5th largest gate at $7.5m. I'm sure they are disappointed with that but it's their own fault for charging so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

zuutroy wrote: »

Good pics. Dude in the green half way through, is that the impostor guy that keeps showing up everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

maximoose wrote: »
    Good pics. Dude in the green half way through, is that the impostor guy that keeps showing up everywhere?

Yea seems like an absolute nutter. Australian guy that seems to dine out on the drinks everyone buys him for looking like CMcG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

zuutroy wrote: »
    Yea seems like an absolute nutter. Australian guy that seems to dine out on the drinks everyone buys him for looking like CMcG.

I can't view the pictures there but I'm sure I know who you're talking about. Myself and my mate got friendly with him after meeting him in Vegas before.

Very nice man and couldn't do more for you. He gave us a lift to open workouts and bought us and other fans drinks all week.

He's had a bit of a career at impersonations so this is the latest but he really loves the sport and McGregor. He's got Irish roots. Even the night of the after party I seen him meet two random Irish fans and he did everything he could to get them into the party, even paying for the taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

There is a brilliant blog by roddy up on YouTube from the fights.

He catches big john speaking to Connor and John Kavanagh pre fight.

I find the part about him stopping a fight interesting especially in light of the end of round 3.

He states that he will only stop the fight if the fighter is both not returning shots and failing to intelligently defend.

He then explains that intelligently defending means just making an attempt even to change position. He even states clearly that the fighter does not have to even succeed in stopping being hit just attempt to do.so.

Bearing that in my mind I went back and watched.rnd 3 again and it's clear that it was not close to being stopped big john said as.much after, but it makes a bit more sense when you hear him lay out what he's looking for to call a.stopagge.

Does he take a good look at Connor at end of rnd? Yes he does. Why? Because he's a bloody good ref, he also takes a good.look at nates cut in rnd 4 but nobody talks about that, and rightly so it's just a good ref doing his job.

Anyway my post is a bit hamfisted look up the video yourselves it's very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I know it has been discussed on here earlier so apologies for going over old ground.

Joe Rogan will always be something I associate with the UFC, he's the voice of it for me and I really like him. That said, there seems to be an increasing amount of times when he'll say that a submission is in tight only for the victim to get out easily or when he'll say that someone has been rocked when they really haven't. He said Conor had Nate rocked a couple of times too when he actually didn't, so it's not just aimed at his commentary of Nate.

For the record, I don't actually think there's really any bias in his commentary. You only have to look at his commentary of one of his best friends in Brendan Schaub to see that. However, he does get far too excitable at times. Whether we want to admit it or not, Rogan having an orgasm during a sequence when we are watching a fight does impact on our opinions.

If he had said something more accurate about that last 40 seconds of round 3 such as "Nate is throwing with lots of volume, lands a few nice strikes but isn't landing many clean shots. Good work from Conor in clinching up to ride out the storm" I would imagine there would be far less people saying a 10-8 was justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Paully D wrote: »
    I know it has been discussed on here earlier so apologies for going over old ground.

Joe Rogan will always be something I associate with the UFC, he's the voice of it for me and I really like him. That said, there seems to be an increasing amount of times when he'll say that a submission is in tight only for the victim to get out easily or when he'll say that someone has been rocked when they really haven't. He said Conor had Nate rocked a couple of times too when he actually didn't, so it's not just aimed at his commentary of Nate.

For the record, I don't actually think there's really any bias in his commentary. You only have to look at his commentary of one of his best friends in Brendan Schaub to see that. However, he does get far too excitable at times. Whether we want to admit it or not, Rogan having an orgasm during a sequence when we are watching a fight does impact on our opinions.

If he had said something more accurate about that last 40 seconds of round 3 such as "Nate is throwing with lots of volume, lands a few nice strikes but isn't landing many clean shots. Good work from Conor in clinching up to ride out the storm" I would imagine there would be far less people saying a 10-8 was justified.

On first viewing I though nate was killing him with shots - who knows where rogan was in relation to conor - he doesnt have the benefit of 40 replays and may have been behind nate or conor and all he can see is arms moving and conor's head going side to side - or whatever!

With relation to "tight subs" if it looks tight it looks tight - not rogans fault if someone is easily able to escape. or what I notice alot is people releasing chokes early (for reasons known only to professional mma fighters who probably know alot more about whats happening at the time than me)

It's the same as commentary on anything - you cant predict the future, Joe guides me through lots of fights and i'm a massive fan of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Diaz via Submission
    JokerD wrote: »
    I can't view the pictures there but I'm sure I know who you're talking about. Myself and my mate got friendly with him after meeting him in Vegas before.

Very nice man and couldn't do more for you. He gave us a lift to open workouts and bought us and other fans drinks all week.

He's had a bit of a career at impersonations so this is the latest but he really loves the sport and McGregor. He's got Irish roots. Even the night of the after party I seen him meet two random Irish fans and he did everything he could to get them into the party, even paying for the taxi.

Does he interact with Conor, does Conor enjoy the impersonation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Watching replay there again on fightpass anyone have any idea how to get the corners commentary instead of rogan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

McGregor via Submission
    Lukker- wrote: »
    UFC 202 3rd behind UFC 100 and UFC 196 in PPV buys.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/768245632171511808

5th largest gate at $7.5m. I'm sure they are disappointed with that but it's their own fault for charging so much.

Are they even that bothered about gate receipts really when considered as a whole of the overall takings?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Diaz via Decision
    The reason fighters release holds early is because they risk blowing out their arms if they go for it and they don't quite have it locked in properly or the other fighter manages to get some small defence up. ("blowing out" means exhausting the muscles in your arms to the point where you cant really use them effectively for a while).

I've seen a lot of fights, both in the UFC and more often locally, where a guy has struggled to get a Rear Naked Choke in for a minute only to end up back on his feet and unable to lift his arms to defend himself. Try it yourself, grab a pillow in a RNC and squeeze for all you are worth. Most people wont make it past 20 seconds.

Consequently a fighter has to decide, is this it? is this my shot at ending the fight? Or should I let go to preserve my muscles and energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Watching replay there again on fight pass anyone have any idea how to get the corners commentary instead of Rogan?

There used to be an option to have corner commentary or Spanish commentary or Rogan commentary.
    It seems to be gone now as I can't find it on the web or the app :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Paully D wrote: »

he's commenting live in the heat of the moment, its impossible to get it right all the time.

he mentioned Nates leg being damaged from those kicks which may have led to him falling rather then being knocked down. Ive watched the 2 knockdowns that happened close together, the 2nd actually looks like Nate fell back on purpose, he was moving towards Conor on the floor trying to bait him into his guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

McGregor via Submission
    Watching replay there again on fightpass anyone have any idea how to get the corners commentary instead of rogan?

I can get it on the laptop but not on the TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

There is a brilliant blog by roddy up on YouTube from the fights.

He catches big john speaking to Connor and John Kavanagh pre fight.

I find the part about him stopping a fight interesting especially in light of the end of round 3.

He states that he will only stop the fight if the fighter is both not returning shots and failing to intelligently defend.

He then explains that intelligently defending means just making an attempt even to change position. He even states clearly that the fighter does not have to even succeed in stopping being hit just attempt to do.so.

Bearing that in my mind I went back and watched.rnd 3 again and it's clear that it was not close to being stopped big john said as.much after, but it makes a bit more sense when you hear him lay out what he's looking for to call a.stopagge.

Does he take a good look at Connor at end of rnd? Yes he does. Why? Because he's a bloody good ref, he also takes a good.look at nates cut in rnd 4 but nobody talks about that, and rightly so it's just a good ref doing his job.

Anyway my post is a bit hamfisted look up the video yourselves it's very interesting.

Saw about 40 seconds of that, the screams from John are hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

McGregor via Submission
    blue_man83 wrote: »
    I cannot post a link but go to MMA Core website and look for the video with full fight with SBG commentary. Hell just google it.

This is such an interesting take on the fight. Apologies if someone has posted before.

Not only does the SBG commentary give you a close look inside their plans but it gives those Conor doubters a closer look at him during the fight.

Watch to how he responds to John and Owen.

Take away the bravado the illusion of insanity (love that) and see whats behind the hard work. Do yourself a favour and watch all 5 rounds with the commentary. Watch how this time he clinches when Nate gets busy.

What I saw in this fight was Conor McGregor growing up and evolving as a fighter. Cannot wiat till we see them again!

Could anyone post a link to this? Would be interested to see it. Went looking and couldn't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I think the big issue between the 10-9 camp and the 10-8 camp is not just bias. And just to cover my bias, I'm in the 10-9 and was shouting for McGregor. The people calling 10-9 tend to be focusing on the entire round and scoring it on how the fighters performed. To me for example Diaz didn't dominate the round. The people calling 10-8 tend to be scoring less on the round as a whole and more on "saved by the bell" which is also why they argue against a 10-8 in the second as Nate recovers from being knocked.

Tl;Dr To me we have two groups using two different scoring systems, both just happen to be 10-X, but are different aside from that. With one looking for dominating a round equaling a 10-8 and the other, being in danger of losing the fight if it hypothetically continued without the bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    The people calling 10-9 tend to be focusing on the entire round and scoring it on how the fighters performed.
    That's how a round is scored. The entire round as a whole.

Using a different scoring system, even its still a 10-x system is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

My wife came up with this idea for round scoring, and she was totally serious :(:(

The squeeky things that are in dogs toys shall be put in a fighters glove, every time the glove squeeks then a point is awarded, one with most points wins round :pac::pac:

Asked he what about kicks, knees, takedowns etc, not worth a shoite she said :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Submission
    Joe with the backhanded compliments. Conor ran away. Its OK its OK the right thing to do, he ran away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Mellor wrote: »
    That's how a round is scored. The entire round as a whole.

Using a different scoring system, even its still a 10-x system is irrelevant.

I agree. My point is that of course people are disagreeing on the score because they're arguing from what they think is the same starting point, as it looks the same (10-X) but are actually using 2 totally different systems, as to what justifies a 10-8.

And yes the UFC uses the one, imo, that leads to a 10-9 but not everyone, myself included, always use the same. For example, I didn't realise the ufc specify dominating a round as a 10-8. It's just mentally how I have always "scored" one myself. But you can see where others would approach it differently and arguing the score, rather than the system will never change their opinion as you need to agree on a scoring system first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

McGregor via Submission
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Joe with the backhanded compliments. Conor ran away. Its OK its OK the right thing to do, he ran away.

People really do go out of their way to get offended on McGregor's behalf. In that same clip, Rogan derisively mocks anyone bitching or moaning about the tactic or that thinks there's anything less manly about McGregor resetting. There's no insult or scandal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

People really do go out of their way to get offended on McGregor's behalf. In that same clip, Rogan derisively mocks anyone bitching or moaning about the tactic or that thinks there's anything less manly about McGregor resetting. There's no insult or scandal here.

Agree with this. I was expecting something completely different from the video when I read the posters comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

DeVore wrote: »
    The reason fighters release holds early is because they risk blowing out their arms if they go for it and they don't quite have it locked in properly or the other fighter manages to get some small defence up. ("blowing out" means exhausting the muscles in your arms to the point where you cant really use them effectively for a while).

I've seen a lot of fights, both in the UFC and more often locally, where a guy has struggled to get a Rear Naked Choke in for a minute only to end up back on his feet and unable to lift his arms to defend himself. Try it yourself, grab a pillow in a RNC and squeeze for all you are worth. Most people wont make it past 20 seconds.

Consequently a fighter has to decide, is this it? is this my shot at ending the fight? Or should I let go to preserve my muscles and energy.

Squeezing for all your worth isnt a good way to finish any choke.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

scudzilla wrote: »

Asked he what about kicks, knees, takedowns etc, not worth a shoite she said :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Is your missus Cecil Peoples?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Very true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I have no problem with joe rogan, enjoy him on commentery and listen to his podcasts, but
    there was a world of difference in my perception of the shots from each fighter. Some of that is to do with familiarity with the fight but yea it was so much different without his commentary.

Advertisement