Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Diaz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Diaz

Would have to go with Duffy, excellent standup and has pro boxing experience, also has excellent kicks from a TKD background so kicking the life out of Diaz's leg would be a good to strategy.

He also wouldn't have to worry about takedowns since Diaz isn't gonna shoot for any, he was blasting Poirer and dominating the standup until Poirier wisely changed tactics and decided to wrestle him to death.

His Bjj is also good enough, in my opinion, to negate Diaz on the ground especially when you consider that Diaz is not an aggressive ground guy who looks to take an opponent down and submit him such as Maia, but instead his submission game is more of a defensive tactic attacking from his back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Diaz via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Diaz via Decision
    darced wrote: »

Nate (and Nick) are both well known volume punchers rather then load up knock out artists

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

darced wrote: »
    Well since 1 in 5 of his wins have been by TKO, but he does have that power. He uses it to get people rocked and then takes them out by submission. But of course, ignore that, and act like Conors win was just him hanging on/giving in to win by points/running away/following what everyone else Nate has faced has done. Don't give him and his team any credit, don't acknowledge how well he did against one of the toughest guys on the roster, good job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

McGregor via Submission
    mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Well since 1 in 5 of his wins have been by TKO, but he does have that power. He uses it to get people rocked and then takes them out by submission. But of course, ignore that, and act like Conors win was just him hanging on/giving in to win by points/running away/following what everyone else Nate has faced has done. Don't give him and his team any credit, don't acknowledge how well he did against one of the toughest guys on the roster, good job!

He has 2 wins in 10 years by TKO, and he doesn't rock people and then go for the Sub, most of his subs are as a result of being taken down. It's well known that the Diaz brothers throw at about 60-70%. He rocked Conor in the first fight because his gas tank was shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

TimRiggins wrote: »
    He has 2 wins in 10 years by TKO, and he doesn't rock people and then go for the Sub, most of his subs are as a result of being taken down. It's well known that the Diaz brothers throw at about 60-70%. He rocked Conor in the first fight because his gas tank was shot.
    4 of his 19 wins are by TKO, 3 by Dec and 12 by submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

McGregor via Submission
    mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    4 of his 19 wins are by TKO, 3 by Dec and 12 by submission.

Yeah, but 2 in the last 10 years. Doesn't exactly scream knockout artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    Stuxnet wrote: »
    Come on, title shot after beating Siver :rolleyes:

Im not hating dont get me wrong, I like Conor, he was rushed to the front of the line, there is no denying it if your honest with yourself
    You are aware that Conor had 4 fights in the UFC prior to he Siver fight, right?
    Assessing a title shot based on the previous fight only is pretty ridiculous.

Instead of posting smiles. Why don't you point out the guys at 145 who had a tougher run that McGregor before getting the title shot. As that's what I actually said.

But you're probably right, somebody said on facebook that McGregor got an easy title shot after Silver, so it must be true. :rolleyes:

Of course he can - it's McGregor under discussion, not Mendes.

Lesnar got pushed towards his title shot, without doubt before he deserved it. That has zero impact whatsoever on whether McGregor did or not. Just like Mendes. The only thing different about the analogy is the weight class.

The key fact is that Mendes and McGregor are in the same division. When people say McGregor got an easy path to the title, they are directly comparing him to previous title shots in the division. Which is a relatively small group of people (which includes Mendes). Lesnar isn't one of them, so he isn't relevant.

McGregor via Submission
    He had ONCE been beaten in a full 5 round fight before he faced Conor.
    He's only had 1 5 round fight before he faced Conor.
    I'm not taking away from Conors win. I actually bet money on him to win. But the fact twisting on both sides is getting silly.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Would have to go with Duffy, excellent standup and has pro boxing experience, also has excellent kicks from a TKD background so kicking the life out of Diaz's leg would be a good to strategy.

He also wouldn't have to worry about takedowns since Diaz isn't gonna shoot for any, he was blasting Poirer and dominating the standup until Poirier wisely changed tactics and decided to wrestle him to death.

His Bjj is also good enough, in my opinion, to negate Diaz on the ground especially when you consider that Diaz is not an aggressive ground guy who looks to take an opponent down and submit him such as Maia, but instead his submission game is more of a defensive tactic attacking from his back

His boxing might be good enough to out-box him from a technically point of view. But Diaz has a great ability to weather a storm and turn a boxing match into a brawl. His legs would be a benefit.

But I'd disagree strongly that his BJJ is good enough to hang with Diaz. Joe is a good grappler, don't get me wrong. But Nate is a very good black belt.
    And I'm aware that Duffy has a sub win over a blackbelt.
    Ivan Jorge is not Nate Diaz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor via Submission
    JJayoo wrote: »
    Hypothetical

Joe Duffy vs Diaz who wins?

Joe to bore him into submission pre-fight talk

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Looks like this event has beaten the PPV record!

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/9/7/12822814/diaz-vs-mcgregor-2-looks-to-have-broken-ufc-pay-per-view-record
    Current estimates indicate that UFC 202, the Aug. 20 show headlined by Conor McGregor's decision win over Nate Diaz, will be the most successful non-boxing pay-per-view event in the history of the genre.

Current estimates have the show doing 1.65 million buys on pay-per-view, putting it slightly ahead of UFC 196, the first McGregor vs. Diaz fight, which was estimated at 1.6 million. Both would be ahead of the prior record set at UFC 100 for the second Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir fight.

Sources close to the situation reveal that the DirecTV numbers were the highest in the promotion's history. UFC's own pay-per-view orders through the Internet were believed to have also broken the record set at UFC 196.

The 1.65 million projected number would not include orders directly through the UFC for streaming rather than traditional television. However, the streaming numbers give the UFC immediate figures where they can project how well a show is going to do.

The UFC does not usually release pay-per-view numbers. Dana White did say after the event that it was trending to be the biggest show ever.

Usual strong indicators, such as television ratings for the prelims and other programs related to the show, and Internet searches regarding the event were all strong, but none were at record levels. Television numbers were likely held down due to competition with the Summer Olympics, but that didn't seem to affect pay-per-view numbers.

What is interesting is the lack of correlation between live ticket sales and pay-per-view. The show sold 12,657 tickets, and that's with late discounting of tickets, and there were 14,060 in the building. The live gate announced the night of the show was $7,629,010. The Nevada Athletic Commission didn't have a final gate figure as of press time. UFC 200 at the same T Mobile Arena sold 15,154 tickets and had 16,691 in the building for a gate of $10,746,248.

The key to the figure, or at least the record-breaking aspect, looks to be the press conference a few days before the show, which ended abruptly. McGregor arrived 30 minutes late, and a few minutes after he arrived, Diaz abruptly walked off, apparently on the directive of older brother Nick. As he did so, it degenerated from there with McGregor swearing, a bottle or bottles being thrown by members of the Diaz camp at McGregor, and McGregor throwing bottles back. Dana White immediately called the press conference off and security took McGregor to the back while Diaz left.

Diaz and McGregor received two of the three largest announced purses in UFC history, with Diaz getting $2 million and McGregor $3 million guaranteed, not including their percentages of the pay-per-view revenue. Each also got a $50,000 best fight bonus.

With the exception of boxing matches, the UFC is the only promotion ever to top 1 million buys on North American pay-per-view. The WWE, before largely getting out of the pay-per-view business, did more than 1.2 million buys on two separate occasions for WrestleMania events, but those are worldwide numbers and they did anywhere from 30 to 40 percent of their buys outside North America.

This was UFC's third show of 2016 to top the 1 million mark, with UFC 200 in July joining the two Diaz vs. McGregor fights. Previously, only a handful of UFC shows have topped that mark, most headlined by either Lesnar, Ronda Rousey or McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor via Submission
    Dana maintained in an interview last week that Ronda's next fight will sell more ppvs.

You reckon that's just him talking it up, maybe to also to take away some of Conor's 'I'm the the reason the UFC sold for $4.2bn' talk or he was on the level and a card she headlined, rematch against Holly or wahtcever, would do the numbers he suggests?

Here's the interview.

McGregor via Submission
    First time ive seen online PPVs being acknowledged. We've mentioned it before here. UFC 100 was before online PPVs. UFC 196, 194, and maybe even 193, each did more buys that 100.

The above is also proves they don't are better off keeping Conor separate to flagship events (like 205).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭finglashoop

When will they break 2 mil?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

McGregor via Submission
    When will they break 2 mil?

Next Ronda fight would be my guess, a McGregor card could do it too but they'll build up Rousey's comeback so much that it'll be nearly impossible not to set PPV records with it. She was pulling crazy numbers before, her comeback fight by all logic should top them and then some.

McGregor via Submission
    martyos121 wrote: »
    She was pulling crazy numbers before, her comeback fight by all logic should top them and then some.
    They were starting to increase. But only 193 broke the 1 million mark. The rest did solid PPV numbers but nothing crazy.

Online PPV and streaming are keeping numbers from breaking 2million. It will happen soon though. I'd say a lot more people watched 202 compared to 100

Mellor wrote: »
    They were starting to increase. But only 193 broke the 1 million mark. The rest did solid PPV numbers but nothing crazy.

Online PPV and streaming are keeping numbers from breaking 2million. It will happen soon though. I'd say a lot more people watched 202 compared to 100

They'll never put Rondas and conor on same card. That may do it, i would say they draw a different type of casual fan

McGregor via Submission
    They'll never put Rondas and conor on same card. That may do it, i would say they draw a different type of casual fan

I didn't say anything about Ronda and Conor on the same card. :confused:
    Agree that it would be throwing PPV buys away

• Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

McGregor via Submission

Yeah, and for anyone bar Conor, going over a million is phenomenal stuff, the one before it was 900k which was also outstanding. Even Jones vs Cormier didn't break 1m and that was one of the most hyped fights in years. Just because Conor consistently draws huge numbers doesn't take away from Ronda's pull.

Also, Rousey has done most of her big numbers on weak cards. 190 and 193 really weren't too appealing (I suppose you could make a case for JJ in the co-main at a push) from top to bottom so it makes it all the more impressive. Compare it to Conor's last four cards and you can see that despite him being ultra-popular, he was well helped out by the supporting cast.

So, for the 2 million dollar buys question, I think Ronda will get there first, against the right opponent (Holm, Cyborg or Tate are the only ones that fit the bill IMO) whenever that may happen, provided they stack her card for once.

• Advertisement

McGregor via Submission
    1millions is a massive buy rate, I'm not knocking that. I just think its weird to say "she'll break 2m in her next fight because her last fights did 1m".
    Conor had a bit of help on 189, 194 and 196. With title fight co-mains. But 202 was all Conor v Nate. 193 was probably a stronger card with JJ and Hunt.

I think 200 could have done 2million buys, and 205 can do it. But it would require all insane card which means the following cards would suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

martyos121 wrote: »
    Yeah, and for anyone bar Conor, going over a million is phenomenal stuff, the one before it was 900k which was also outstanding. Even Jones vs Cormier didn't break 1m and that was one of the most hyped fights in years. Just because Conor consistently draws huge numbers doesn't take away from Ronda's pull.

Also, Rousey has done most of her big numbers on weak cards. 190 and 193 really weren't too appealing (I suppose you could make a case for JJ in the co-main at a push) from top to bottom so it makes it all the more impressive. Compare it to Conor's last four cards and you can see that despite him being ultra-popular, he was well helped out by the supporting cast.

So, for the 2 million dollar buys question, I think Ronda will get there first, against the right opponent (Holm, Cyborg or Tate are the only ones that fit the bill IMO) whenever that may happen, provided they stack her card for once.

189 and 194 were very good cards alright but 196 was quite weak, compared to the previous 2, and as Mellor said 202 was all about McGregor vs Nate II.

Rousey's cards aren't as weak as you are describing either I don't think but I'm not taking away from Rousey's big pull factor.

Hard to know what you give to Rousey next. You hardly throw her straight in for a title shot, do you? Or a rematch with Holm mightn't be the most appealing as they're both coming off a loss.

McGregor via Submission
    1millions is a massive buy rate, I'm not knocking that. I just think its weird to say "she'll break 2m in her next fight because her last fights did 1m".

I agree, which is why I think Dana had other motives for saying it.

Conor keeps saying he he has helped make the UFC x amount and that he is the main reason why UFC sold for Y (somewhat tongue in cheek I suspect) and I think Dana saying Ronda will generate a record amount of PPVs in her comeback fight, is a subtle way of saying 'McGregor, you're not the only game in town and so quit thinking you are'.

Who knows, maybe I'm wrong on that and Dana is right and her comeback fight will generate more PPVs than any of McGregor's fights thus far, but I just don't see it myself.

I didn't say anything about Ronda and Conor on the same card. :confused:
    Agree that it would be throwing PPV buys away

No i wasnt saying you did.

I meant the casual fans they would both attract would possibly push it over 2 million as i doubt they draw from the same crowds of casual. But wouldnt make sense to have both on same card.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Ronda will definitely be going straight into a title fight and there's no rivalry with Nunes so it probably won't do astronomical numbers.

I doubt we'll ever see Conor and Ronda on the same card.

2 million ppvs could be a fair bit down the road yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

How many PPV's would the UFC have missed out on due to blacking it out on PPV over here? A few thousand? Far more? Less?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Diaz via Decision
    Rousey and McGregor are break-through stars for the UFC brand... non-fans have heard of them and might well check in if they were on the same card and the timing was right (something like July 4th so its late afternoon for the states and late evening UK/Euro). That could break 2M if the right build up was done (mainstream advertising rather than targeting existing fans, who will already know anyway).
    It could be a smart move by the org too, as it introduce the sport to uninitiated viewers, some of whom might get to like it!

Its a slim hope though, because a lot of stars have to align for it to happen and someone has to have the vision in the UFC on how to help UFC take the next steps to mainstream viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

McGregor via Submission
    Paully D wrote: »
    How many PPV's would the UFC have missed out on due to blacking it out on PPV over here? A few thousand? Far more? Less?

Not enough to significantly impact the top or bottom line is the real answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Not enough to significantly impact the top or bottom line is the real answer.

For sure, whatever they lost on potential online buys I'm sure they more than recouped in whatever fee BT/Eir paid for exclusivity rights.

• Advertisement

McGregor via Submission
    Judges only gave fight to McGregor so they could have a third fight, apparently :rolleyes:

Advertisement