Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Pfff...could only manage 7 minutes of that garbage...7 minutes of excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

He says at start Nate won rounds 3-4-5 and he'd give Mcgregor round 1 and 2 then says 6 minutes in Nate won round 2 aswell he thought i stopped listening after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor via Submission
    I hate excuse machines.....the game is rife with them, McGgregor the shining light

and everyone holding up Diaz as some role model, his after fight interviews were embarrassing to the point of childishness ....and it seems his whole camp is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

McGregor via Submission
    sonofenoch wrote: »
    I hate excuse machines.....the game is rife with them, McGgregor the shining light

and everyone holding up Diaz as some role model, his after fight interviews were embarrassing to the point of childishness ....and it seems his whole camp is the same

McGregor made excuses aswell incase you didn't know after there first fight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

akelly02 wrote: »
    McGregor made excuses aswell incase you didn't know after there first fight

Conor wasn't claiming he didn't lose the first fight, or that he didn't really tap or some other external factor.

He blamed himself, sought the rematch, fixed his mistakes and won.

Conor clearly won the first two rounds of the second fight. Then fatigue came in to it and Nate shaded 2 rounds with Conor winning a round in between. There's no way Nate won the fight.

• Advertisement

McGregor via Submission
    BOHtox wrote: »
    Conor wasn't claiming he didn't lose the first fight, or that he didn't really tap or some other external factor.

He blamed himself, sought the rematch, fixed his mistakes and won.

Conor clearly won the first two rounds of the second fight. Then fatigue came in to it and Nate shaded 2 rounds with Conor winning a round in between. There's no way Nate won the fight.

I agree with you, but he essentially blamed the weight. He said 145ers and 155ers fall from them shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

McGregor via Submission
    I agree with you, but he essentially blamed the weight. He said 145ers and 155ers fall from them shots.

Well they do most of the time and he stated that it as a problem that Nate didn't fall down .
    He hit Nate very hard lots and Nate didn't fall down
    Then he got very tired and had a lie down and Nate tapped him
    He realised he needed more cardio so in the second fight he hit Nate very hard and got tired but stayed on his feet and did a Holly Holm with the getting the **** out of the way something he was able to do due to correcting his lying down mistake.

I think it was more of an explanation type excuse than saying the judges got it wrong or that they outright decided to fix the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Not sure how that's an excuse really, it's analysis. Most 145ers and possibly 155ers would be KO'd from those shots. It was an observation rather than an excuse.

I don't know if the Diaz camp actually believe the nonsense they're spouting, but they do have a history of making excuses after losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Diaz via Submission
    moneyman wrote: »
    Not sure how that's an excuse really, it's analysis. Most 145ers and possibly 155ers would be KO'd from those shots. It was an observation rather than an excuse.

I don't know if the Diaz camp actually believe the nonsense they're spouting, but they do have a history of making excuses after losses.

All fighters make excuses after losing, conors was he didnt use his energy properly.

Pick a fighter that goes oh no he just was better?

McGregor via Submission
    All fighters make excuses after losing, conors was he didnt use his energy properly.

Pick a fighter that goes oh no he just was better?

big difference between saying you gassed sorry used you energy inefficiently , and saying the ufc fixed the fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Diaz via Decision
    Tigger wrote: »
    big difference between saying you gassed sorry used you energy inefficiently , and saying the ufc fixed the fight

Why bother?

The excuse itself doesn't have any bearing on whether a fighter makes an excuse after losing a fight.

Just because one persons excuse is dumber then the others doesn't mean they aren't doing the same thing essentially.

It is beyond ridiculous how blinkered fans get in sport at times.

Practically all fighters make an excuse when they lose, how many have you seen come out and just say he was better?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

McGregor via Submission
    Why bother?

The excuse itself doesn't have any bearing on whether a fighter makes an excuse after losing a fight.

Just because one persons excuse is dumber then the others doesn't mean they aren't doing the same thing essentially.

It is beyond ridiculous how blinkered fans get in sport at times.

Practically all fighters make an excuse when they lose, how many have you seen come out and just say he was better?

none thats because there is self belief and also promotion at work
    however saying it was fixed is a bit dense

its worse than saying Aldo would have won if he hadn't been knocked out

Diaz via Decision
    Tigger wrote: »
    none thats because there is self belief and also promotion at work
    however saying it was fixed is a bit dense

its worse than saying Aldo would have won if he hadn't been knocked out

So?

What difference does it make what ****e people come out with after fights? Conor made excuses, Nate is making excuses, Jose made excuses.

Who gives a **** like? Its what they do.

There is no point in trying to make out one is better then the other at excuses, I doubt anybody wants that title.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Diaz via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor via Submission
    darced wrote: »

Well, he was th heaviest fighter he has every fought in fairness.
    I ate too much

He eat totally inappropriately and it was for sure something he corrected for the rematch.
    I was doing muscle ups

He was and he was not the only one to think that was foolish on fight week as other voices in the sport cited it as when discussing things which they felt might have contributed to him gassing.
    I had to do too much promotion

Again it was something others commented on and obviously something he changed (no Conan etc etc before this fight).
    I didnt know you could prepare for specific fighters. He was too tall

Wasn't that just about how so many fighters pull out him and so there was no point, but again it is not something he just said, we know it is something that he addressed.
    I was winning until I lost.

That was a comment on how he out boxed Nate until he gassed and he did so again in the rematch. Not sure how that, or any of these things compare to someone saying that they won a fight that they clearly lost, that their opponent 'ran the whole fight' or that the judges only gave Conor the fight so cause that is what is best for the UFC.

Come on. Ultimately all of the thing Conor highlighted as reasons he might have lost had to do with his own preparation, whereas Nate is blaming outside factors and not for the first time either. Himself and Nick are notorious for it (excuse the pun) to the point where they will even resort to saying that someone muse have drugged them before a fight, in the case of Nick at least.

Yeah, all fighters will come out with a list of reasons why they feel they lost, usually it will bull but sometimes it won't be. In the case of Conor the proof of the pudding that his wasn't is that when he addressed the issues he highlighted.. he won.

Diaz via Decision
    Of course you will find your favorites fighters excuses more palatable to the ear, not exactly much of a surprise.

McGregor via Submission

He eat totally inappropriately and it was for sure something he corrected for the rematch.

He was and he was not the only one to think that was foolish on fight week as other voices in the sport cited it as when discussing things which they felt might have contributed to him gassing.

Again it was something others commented on and obviously something he changed (no Conan etc etc before this fight).

Wasn't that just about how so many fighters pull out him and so there was no point, but again it is not something he just said, we know it is something that he addressed.

That was a comment on how he out boxed Nate until he gassed and he did so again in the rematch. Not sure how that, or any of these things compare to someone saying that they won a fight that they clearly lost, that their opponent 'ran the whole fight' or that the judges only gave Conor the fight so cause that is what is best for the UFC.

Come on. Ultimately all of the thing Conor highlighted as reasons he might have lost had to do with his own preparation, whereas Nate is blaming outside factors and not for the first time either. Himself and Nick are notorious for it (excuse the pun) to the point where they will even resort to saying that someone muse have drugged them before a fight, in the case of Nick at least.

Yeah, all fighters will come out with a list of reasons why they feel they lost, usually it will bull but sometimes it won't be. In the case of Conor the proof of the pudding that his wasn't is that when he addressed the issues he highlighted.. he won.

These

McGregor via Submission

These are all still excuses , everyone is entitled to make them. But when you specifically say you did not make excuses, its talking through your hole which annoys a lot of people. This is exactly what McGregor did.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Diaz via Decision
    There's a difference between "reasons" and "excuses" imho.

"I ate inappropriately and trained wrong in the week leading up to the fight"... is a reason.

"The Judges robbed me" is an excuse.

I guess the difference is that McGregor was blaming himself for bad choices he made, whereas Diaz is saying he did nothing wrong and has been maligned by others unjustly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Exactly. The Diaz brothers are just bad losers. It's nothing to do with McGregor. They have always been bad losers. They believe they have won every fight they have ever fought in. You have to knock them out before they stop claiming they won the fight....and even then they will criticize your tactics.

Entertaining fights, awful sportmanship. Thats what you get with the Diaz brothers.

• Advertisement

Diaz via Submission

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission

Conor came out with criticisms of his tactics/preparations and said he would improve in these areas and then did exactly that...to put that on the same level as a guy who clearly lost and his coaches coming out and sayin the fight was fixed as some big conspiracy for money is actually laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor via Submission
    Diaz brought up 'an injury' right after the fight, in the octagon interview in fact......he also brought up his 10 day training camp 'before' the first fight

this is the worst kind of excuse making imaginable........I'd have no problem with him saying he thought he won, that's natural......but the injury thing? no fking way

Diaz via Decision
    DeVore wrote: »
    There's a difference between "reasons" and "excuses" imho.

"I ate inappropriately and trained wrong in the week leading up to the fight"... is a reason.

"The Judges robbed me" is an excuse.

They are both excuses, one being more blatantly dumb then the other is not relevant.

I didn't prepare right is an excuse for poor result.

The judge robbed me is an excuse for a poor result.

The reality is unless you simply say fair play to the opponent after a fight anything else is going to be interpreted as an excuse, since thats what it is. Nobody cares about excuses, you know why you didn't win? you know what to do next time? Great, just do it.

Its a natural thing to give your reasons for why you failed, it doesn't make them any less of an excuse though really.

Excuse
    verb
    ɪkˈskjuːz,ɛk-/
    seek to lessen the blame attaching to (a fault or offence); try to justify.

noun
    ɪkˈskjuːs,ɛk-/
    a reason or explanation given to justify a fault or offence.

Justification, reason, defence, mitigation, all synonyms of excuse.

Leave Diaz out of it, or anybody else. Nobody was claiming that anyone else didn't make excuses. The degrees of ****ness of any one given excuse was not discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Excuses after the fight on the night is bad form but if its days weeks months afterwards then its perfectly acceptable,they are professional fighters they gotta dust themselves off and build their confidence after a loss and thats done with multiple excuses for what went wrong we just don't wanna hear them right after the fight when Joe interviews you.

Diaz via Submission

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I'd be just as intrigued to hear your opinion too

https://twitter.com/karlt187/status/770378531662626820

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Submission

There's 3 or 4 posters on this thread (and forum) who love to hate on Conor McGregor.

Yourself, Stringer Bell, Subcomadante Marcos to name but 3.

We get it. You don't like the fella. Maybe he shifted your sister as a teenager and never texted her back. I don't know.

What i do know is the following:

Stipe Solution to 'Reem "running":

Cut off the cage and punch him in the face.

Nate Solution to Conor "running":

Stand flat-footed, point, stick up middle-finger.

Ironic seeing as "Triathlete" Nate should be pretty good at running and cutting off the cage if he wants his opponent tight to the cage.

Overeem was, at times, actually sprinting and doing laps!!

Conor circled out and reset a handful of times and did a fair share of clock-watching in Round 5 after being told by Kavanagh he was up 3-1 going into it.

The interpretation re: tactics of either men is the following: Conor won. Alistair lost. Conors tactics worked, 'Reems didn't.

You lads will have plenty of sticks to beat McGregor with in the coming months and lead-up to UFC205 don't worry.

Nothing he does in the UFC will ever impress his haters because, for the most part, they don't hate him for what he does inside the Octagon. I saw Paddy Pimblett like a tweet saying Conor is a fraud and has beaten nobody!! Which is an absolutely stupid thing to say.

You people are beyond reasoning with.

Mod: I dont recall you being made a mod so less of the back seat moderation and chilidsh comments about peoples sisters. If you have a problem with a post report it, otherwise have a civil conversation like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

McGregor via Submission
    Yes lads, don't forget, unless you want nothing more in the world than to take up residence inside McGregor's arsehole, you're a "hater".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Amazing how the mere mention of Conor's name can reduce people to drivelling morons.

He must be the most divisive figure in all of sport.

Logic and reason instantly go out the window when his name pops up anywhere.

Advertisement