Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v 4.0 (08/07/14 to date)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Welsh Megaman would enjoy this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I feel like I'm at a funeral:(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,339 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Skid X wrote: »
    They are already planning it AD, them boys know there's likely to be some kind of border and customs, and that means money will be made from getting around those controls.

Garlic could be the most lucrative like the chap who brought it from China via Norway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

A very lame ending?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Male voice choir was the highlight.

• Advertisement

Garlic could be the most lucrative like the chap who brought it from China via Norway.

One of the few upsides of the Brexit is that there's a good chance the Booze Cruises to the UK will be back :)

In your face, minimum alcohol pricing !!!!

I want to thank Vincent for making four generations of women in my family very happy down through the years.

My Grandmother used to read his stories in the Tribune & Magill, she listened to his radio show on RTE 1 and she watched Tonight with Vincent Browne religiously every night until she passed away four years ago. My Mother & myself have been fans of this show since the start My daughter was born in 2006, as a baby she loved the sound of Vincent's voice and the Joe Taylor Tribunal re-enactments. There used to be a mad panic when he'd be going on holidays, I used to have to record the radio programmes. Vinny beats Peppa Pig and Barney any day lol.

We had lots of great debates in our family because of Vincent's shows - Thank you for the memories, Vinny.

Enjoy your retirement 🙂

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

TV3 budget for farewell VB show barely hit three figures

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Fierce anti-climax. I was expecting Johnny Connors or Martin Collins to present Vinny with a new caravan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I love that the last words he uttered on the show were "ah, jaysus".

The "eligible bachelor" thing by Mary Kenny in the Irish Press was originally tweeted by... me, earlier in the week.

https://twitter.com/RayMcGrath/status/889978176289505280

Irish News Archive is a slightly expensive, but fantastic resource for this kind of thing (it has every issue of the Indo, Sindo, Herald, Press, Examiner and dozens of regional papers).

• Advertisement

I want to thank Vincent for making four generations of women in my family very happy down through the years.

My Grandmother used to read his stories in the Tribune & Magill, she listened to his radio show on RTE 1 and she watched Tonight with Vincent Browne religiously every night until she passed away four years ago. My Mother & myself have been fans of this show since the start My daughter was born in 2006, as a baby she loved the sound of Vincent's voice and the Joe Taylor Tribunal re-enactments. There used to be a mad panic when he'd be going on holidays, I used to have to record the radio programmes. Vinny beats Peppa Pig and Barney any day lol.

We had lots of great debates in our family because of Vincent's shows - Thank you for the memories, Vinny.

Enjoy your retirement 🙂

My mother and my children can't stand him.
    My mother for her own reasons. My children because whenever they came downstairs, for a drink or whatever, were told, "Get it yourself. I'm watching this".

• Registered Users Posts: 67,051 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

We need a transvestite to ceremoniously close the thread and I have no frock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Mine are all at the dry cleaners.

My OH is out for the night. I'll zoom up stairs and see what fits me.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,285 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

sligojoek wrote: »
    This is how a man should wear a dress.

klinger.jpeg

Ah Glenda don't look too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

donfers wrote: »
    Disappointed with the panel for the last show and the format, it should have been a 2 hour special with a broad spectrum of guests who had appeared and made an impact on the show during its life-span, a kind of remembrance or homage to the tumultuous period in recent Irish political history that the show document

Instead we get a half-hearted look at Ireland post-crisis in the echo chamber of liberal lefties (of which I am one) and their self-congratulatory positive discrimination...and to round it all off a couple of drag queens reading out tweets. Much like the show, this final episode has just given up and ran out of steam.
    It ran out of steam a few years ago and just got silly afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I haven't watched the show for a few years but I would say it made a positive contribution to political discourse in the country. I liked when the economist Constantin Gurdgiev was on the programme. I thought he was one of Vincent's better guests.

Hope Vincent keeps up the writing.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

It ran out of steam a few years ago and just got silly afterwards.

Only because weak politicians were afraid to be questioned.

Many who entered the lions den failed.

If they did well in it, it would do their careers no harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

One thing that struck me is that over the years he never had a serious ongoing interest in the science surrounding climate change.

For a broadcaster who came across as a sceptic I would have expected him to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Good loser

dense wrote: »
    One thing that struck me is that over the years he never had a serious ongoing interest in the science surrounding climate change.

For a broadcaster who came across as a sceptic I would have expected him to.

Farming and rural Ireland bored him.

To me he was 'full of sound and fury signifying nothing'.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Rumours of Brendan O'Connor to replace him, I doubt it...

Can't stand him. His accent is off putting. He's more a funny man; he being the joke.

Yeh, might not be the worst choice. O'Connor is alright on political issues, can ask the tough questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

As long as ivan yates doesn't get it I don't mind

I hope this rumour is true but I doubt that it is. Vincent mentioned during one of his broadcasts that he was earning about €55,000.

Brendan would've been on very good money in RTE when he was presenting the SNS so I can't see him moving to TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

bobbyss wrote: »
    Can't stand him. His accent is off putting. He's more a funny man; he being the joke.

I think he would be a good proposition, had a good show on Sat night till RTE IN their infinite wisdom replaced him with a Tom tit twit Arcy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought The Cutting Edge was starting to run out of steam so might not be a bad idea for Brendan to move. The late nights might be an issue for him, or whoever takes over.

M

I see TV3 have "The Best Of Vincent Browne" on tonight in the usual slot.

• Advertisement

Good show. Reeling In Vincent :D

The thought strikes, if the national broadcaster had more like Vincent perhaps politicians wouldn't get away with so much.

A career of asking the tough questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement