Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Ongoing Doctor Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Doctor Who was one of the very few genuine good male role models left out there for young men sad to see that change I must say.

Yes, they're are so few male lead roles left in tv...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Doctor Who was one of the very few genuine good male role models left out there for young men sad to see that change I must say.

Why does the Doctor have to be male. The Master has been female for the last few seasons.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

After been forced to watch St. Trinians years ago, my patience for those actors is low

She's in those for like 2 minutes.

I can see your point, to a degree, but I think we should be at a point in time now where boys don't think they can only be influenced by men. Same goes for girls with women. If the Doctor still has all the qualities of the previous 12 then why can't a young boy look up to her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Great decision, she was great in Attack the Block too. Would have liked Richard Ayode myself but this is pretty awesome too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

snowflaker wrote: »
    You knew it was female by the frame

Didn't myself by the angles at first. Looked too broad shouldered.

• Advertisement

Ben Gadot wrote: »

Same. I immediately thought it was too broad to be a woman.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I figured the second they were hiding the hair, it was a woman. If it was a guy with short hair, they'd have shown it but they were hiding her features.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Put up with allot of nonsense over past 10 years of Nu Who but kept watching out of habit but a female doctor feels too much of a desperate gimmick and is enough for me not to tune in.

A regenerating alien time lord who battles unfathomable enemies to save a multitude of civilisations on a regular basis is believable but it's her being a woman that's the gimmick to far for you? Riiiiight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Young men have had several decades of a good male role model that aren't suddenly erased by this announcement, y'know! And female characters can be role models for young men, too!

Let's hope this take on one of pop culture's most changeable, dynamic characters is remembered not only as a belated pioneer, but a genuinely worthy addition to a television tradition.

I was driving when the announcement was made - who is it? Olivia whatsherface?
    Edit: i see now, interesting. Don't know her at all really.
    I'll find it strange if it's not a guy anymore but sure looking forward to seeing how this goes!definitely not got a problem with it

• Advertisement

Is the who point of been called The Doctor was to not distinguish a gender. As another post said the regeneration process is meant to be lottery you could have 2 heads, a tail, look like other species. So why not another gender. Those who chose to throw there toys out of the box and not watch because WAHHHHHHHHHHHHH the Doctor is a female should have a look at themselves. Now for someone who has a name like James Bond I be saying its a gimmick. Would still watch but be saying it was a gimmick

bluewolf wrote: »
    I was driving when the announcement was made - who is it? Olivia whatsherface?

Jodie Whittaker

Ben Gadot wrote: »

Thought that 2

Young men have had several decades of a good male role model that aren't suddenly erased by this announcement, y'know! And female characters can be role models for young men, too!

Captain Picard, Superman, Professor Xavier and Malcolm Reynolds are all dead now, killed by the 13th Doctor. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Death blow for Doctor Who.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Blah.
    Meh.

Wont be that interested in the next season.
    McLoughlin wrote: »
    Put up with allot of nonsense over past 10 years of Nu Who but kept watching out of habit but a female doctor feels too much of a desperate gimmick and is enough for me not to tune in.

+1 Yep, Game Over for me. There has been more than enough Right On BBC style ham fisted virtue signalling and gender politics in the last while, so this hardly comes as a shock.
    Why does the Doctor have to be male. The Master has been female for the last few seasons.
    Which was also a gimmick.
    Now for someone who has a name like James Bond I be saying its a gimmick. Would still watch but be saying it was a gimmick
    Jesus.
    A regenerating alien time lord who battles unfathomable enemies to save a multitude of civilisations on a regular basis is believable but it's her being a woman that's the gimmick to far for you? Riiiiight.
    Yep, because it's BBC politics playing fast and loose.
    I disagree. And look at the current crop of fantasy/sci fi shows. Even where the men are leads they're regularly seen as a bit silly and need a woman to steer them right.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    If she can be quirky and they don't play up her gender too much, she'll be grand.
    "they don't play up her gender too much"? The last series was all about that kind of nonsense.

So yeah...

headdesk.jpg?w=240

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I absolutely and utterly love missy. Michelle gomez is fantastic.
    Hey missy you so fine

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1 Yep, Game Over for me. There has been more than enough Right On BBC style ham fisted virtue signalling and gender politics in the last while, so this hardly comes as a shock.

Jesus.

I disagree. And look at the current crop of fantasy/sci fi shows. Even where the men are leads they're regularly seen as a bit silly and need a woman to steer them right.

"they don't play up her gender too much"? The last series was all about that kind of nonsense.

So yeah...

headdesk.jpg?w=240

May have been at the start but hey it worked and people like her character. Yes I think James Bond as a woman would be a gimmick but I would still watch to see if it was any good and make a decision to see if it would fit.

But your stance of oh its a woman so be crap has to be a man and not watching to find out is crazy

But hey your choice. Just do not det defensive when people point it out

ebbsy wrote: »

Without even watching it.

My attitude with any casting choice for a character I know would be to write a list of ten characteristics about them, and see how many the casted actor hits.

Admittedly, "The Doctor is a man" would be on that list, and Jodie doesn't hit it....but if she can hit the other 9, who cares if she misses what is, ultimately, one of the least significant ones.

• Advertisement

Why does the doctor have to be a man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Jesus.

So yeah...

headdesk.jpg?w=240

Ay right. People have different opinions to yours. Best to ridicule......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Jesus.

So yeah...

headdesk.jpg?w=240

The broflakes are out in force already it seems...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So yeah...

Pretty sure it was a man playing the Doctor in the last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Lord TSC wrote: »
    My attitude with any casting choice for a character I know would be to write a list of ten characteristics about them, and see how many the casted actor hits.

Admittedly, "The Doctor is a man" would be on that list, and Jodie doesn't hit it....but if she can hit the other 9, who cares if she misses what is, ultimately, one of the least significant ones.

Quite a sensible way to see it.

Unlike the previously mentioned James Bond whose maleness is so essential to the character that changing that one characteristic would invalidate her/him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ebbsy wrote: »

Oh come on. Don't like the choice if you want, but don't bow to hyperbole, just cos a fictional time travelling alien who changes faces, changes to a version you don't approve of.

Quite a sensible way to see it.

Unlike the previously mentioned James Bond whose maleness is so essential to the character that changing that one characteristic would invalidate her/him.

The only reason I would call the cast of James Bond a gimmick is because of the name James which is a males names and brings up the thought of a man. I also said I would watch the movie to see how the actress would fit in and it could work.

A female spy I be up for it I think it be a great concept. It was only because of the name James

The Doctor to me is gender neutral

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

At first the insane reaction from the small few twitter crazies to casting females in popular genre fiction infuriated me.

Now I just find it kind of absurdly funny, with a hint of pity.

Doctor Who will survive and continue to thrive.

At first the insane reaction from the small few twitter crazies to casting females in popular genre fiction infuriated me.

Some of the reactions I hope is sarcasm or wums, otherwise they are genuinely scarey

CastorTroy wrote: »

Apparently it's not just a female Doctor some object to, it's women in general doing anything.

Doctor Who will survive and continue to thrive.

I think the show has been slowly dying for a while now, or struggling at least. I follow quite a few hardcore Doctor Who fans on twitter and they've all been almost grudge watching the last few series, not because of cast, but because of the writing and general running of the show. I think the fact that there's a whole new production team on board as well as a new Doctor and presumably companion, will inject new life into the show.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes I think James Bond as a woman would be a gimmick but I would still watch to see if it was any good and make a decision to see if it would fit.
    Jesus Part Deux.
    But your stance of oh its a woman so be crap has to be a man and not watching to find out is crazy
    She might be good, she might be crap, she'll never be Doctor Who in my eyes anyway. As I said it's an example of a) a gimmick to attempt to save an ailing show that's haemorrhaging viewer figures and b) the BBC playing the Oh look how progressive we are card.
    But hey your choice. Just do not det defensive when people point it out
    Point away.
    snowflaker wrote: »
    Why does the doctor have to be a man?
    Always has been a male character. One of the vanishingly few that didn't rely on his fists to be the hero. And yes I firmly believe boys/young men need such a character now more than ever. Just taking Doctor Who in the last few years there have been repeated little digs at being male along the way. You don't think kids miss that kinda thing? If the reverse was happening with young girls like it stupidly did in the past we'd be rightfully up in arms about it. But apparently it's OK when that's in reverse. Cool beans.
    Where pray tell did I "ridicule"? Go ahead Ted, point it out. Though I'm apparently "crazy", "defensive" and latterly a "broflake".
    CastorTroy wrote:
    Who was hoping the future was female. With a few other examples of "men a bit silly/women great". It's quite the theme of late.
    Apparently it's not just a female Doctor some object to, it's women in general doing anything.
    Wow that's a leap that would make an olympic long jumper proud. For me lest there is any confusion it's just a female Doctor Who.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

Dont know anything about her but she cant be any worse than Capaldi.

I think the show has been slowly dying for a while now, or struggling at least. I follow quite a few hardcore Doctor Who fans on twitter and they've all been almost grudge watching the last few series, not because of cast, but because of the writing and general running of the show. I think the fact that there's a whole new production team on board as well as a new Doctor and presumably companion, will inject new life into the show.

Yeah i have to admit i haven't been as impressed with capaldis era even though i love the characters all individually

Lol the dramatics of it all
    Never be the doctor
    Go way outta that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

I'll give it a chance, but at the same time I've been losing interest in DW over the last 2 or 3 seasons and I can't see this move holding my interest past the first few episodes, but as I said I'll give it a chance.

Wow that's a leap that would make an olympic long jumper proud. For me lest there is any confusion it's just a female Doctor Who.

Except the original comment you made was about them "playing up to gender" and that kind of "nonsense" so it seems you have an issue with something other than the new Doctor.

• Advertisement

Just because something has been "always that way" in the past, doesn't mean it cannot change in the future.

For Sci-fi "anything is possible"- except the doctor's gender changing when regenerated seems pretty petty

Except the original comment you made was about them "playing up to gender" and that kind of "nonsense" so it seems you have an issue with something other than the new Doctor.

He was make wild assumptions- you cannot

Is it so wrong to think you can tell boys that women can be role models too? Or is it because they don't have the correct genitalia, they are automatically discarded as role models?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭ebbsy

They must be trying to kill it off.

Jesus Part Deux.

She might be good, she might be crap, she'll never be Doctor Who in my eyes anyway. As I said it's an example of a) a gimmick to attempt to save an ailing show that's haemorrhaging viewer figures and b) the BBC playing the Oh look how progressive we are card.

Point away.

Always has been a male character. One of the vanishingly few that didn't rely on his fists to be the hero. And yes I firmly believe boys/young men need such a character now more than ever. Just taking Doctor Who in the last few years there have been repeated little digs at being male along the way. You don't think kids miss that kinda thing? If the reverse was happening with young girls like it stupidly did in the past we'd be rightfully up in arms about it. But apparently it's OK when that's in reverse. Cool beans.

Where pray tell did I "ridicule"? Go ahead Ted, point it out. Though I'm apparently "crazy", "defensive" and latterly a "broflake".

Who was hoping the future was female. With a few other examples of "men a bit silly/women great". It's quite the theme of late.

Why Jesus part Deux.

Why is it a gimmick. Why cant it be the casting going maybe we could go for a woman this time as The Doctor. People like Missy so it could work. Could that not have happened. If BBC were doing something like this to save the figures of Doctor Who why would they take the risky decision of changing The Doctor to a female. People who have never seen Doctor Who will not now suddenly start watching because its a woman.

You been defensive well that GIF of futurama.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah i have to admit i haven't been as impressed with capaldis era even though i love the characters all individually

I was a fan of Jenna Coleman before she was on DW and only sort of got into DW through her. I wasn't overly keen on Matt Smith as the Doctor but when they announced Capaldi was coming on board I kept watching. I absolutely loved how Coleman/Capaldi bounced off each other, I thought they had brilliant chemistry as actors, but the overall story lines were very messy, it always felt like it didn't make any kind of sense and Mofatt didn't have a tight reign over what he was doing.

I'll give it a chance, but at the same time I've been losing interest in DW over the last 2 or 3 seasons and I can't see this move holding my interest past the first few episodes, but as I said I'll give it a chance.

Again I think the fact that there's been changes behind the scenes too could help with this. There's not just a new Doctor, it's almost like a reboot, if you like. Of course it could still be terrible, who knows, but I'm quite hopeful.

Is it so wrong to think you can tell boys that women can be role models too? Or is it because they don't have the correct genitalia, they are automatically discarded as role models?

Depends on how one views women themselves. How you view and treat others is ultimately a reflection of yourself

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I thought, and I might be wrong, that the Doctor being a weird alien who isnt interested in humans in a sexual way was all part of the comedy, from Matt Smith making childish comments about reproduction to David Tenants platonic love for Rose etc.

So the doctors gender makes no difference as he/she is fundamentally indifferent to humans sexually.

And the fact that hed been a woman before was well flagged IIRC.

The only interesting thing arising from the gender issue will be the companion interactions. There was some criticism from feminists that the doctor exemplified an old patriarchy stereotype of the older experienced man guiding the younger, sometimes hapless, female companion. Will the new doctor have a male or female companion? Will the dynamic change?

I think its far more interesting than Malcom Tucker playing a slightly tuned out elderly doctor.

The only interesting thing arising from the gender issue will be the companion interactions. There was some criticism from feminists that the doctor exemplified an old patriarchy stereotype of the older experienced man guiding the younger, sometimes hapless, female companion. Will the new doctor have a male or female companion? Will the dynamic change?

I wonder if Kris Marshall will be the new companion? His name was being thrown around an awful lot, you have to assume there was a reason for that.

I do wonder if that was Moffat and co. and if the BBC wanted to go with someone else do Moffat left?

If anything, the reaction of the loud few angry Internet men is proof of why young boys should probably be given a few more role models among the other 50% of the world's population.

• Advertisement
Advertisement