Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Ongoing Doctor Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Doctor Who was one of the very few genuine good male role models left out there for young men sad to see that change I must say.

Yes, they're are so few male lead roles left in tv...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Doctor Who was one of the very few genuine good male role models left out there for young men sad to see that change I must say.

Why does the Doctor have to be male. The Master has been female for the last few seasons.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

After been forced to watch St. Trinians years ago, my patience for those actors is low

She's in those for like 2 minutes.

I can see your point, to a degree, but I think we should be at a point in time now where boys don't think they can only be influenced by men. Same goes for girls with women. If the Doctor still has all the qualities of the previous 12 then why can't a young boy look up to her?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Great decision, she was great in Attack the Block too. Would have liked Richard Ayode myself but this is pretty awesome too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

snowflaker wrote: »
    You knew it was female by the frame

Didn't myself by the angles at first. Looked too broad shouldered.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ben Gadot wrote: »

Same. I immediately thought it was too broad to be a woman.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I figured the second they were hiding the hair, it was a woman. If it was a guy with short hair, they'd have shown it but they were hiding her features.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Put up with allot of nonsense over past 10 years of Nu Who but kept watching out of habit but a female doctor feels too much of a desperate gimmick and is enough for me not to tune in.

A regenerating alien time lord who battles unfathomable enemies to save a multitude of civilisations on a regular basis is believable but it's her being a woman that's the gimmick to far for you? Riiiiight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Young men have had several decades of a good male role model that aren't suddenly erased by this announcement, y'know! And female characters can be role models for young men, too!

Let's hope this take on one of pop culture's most changeable, dynamic characters is remembered not only as a belated pioneer, but a genuinely worthy addition to a television tradition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I was driving when the announcement was made - who is it? Olivia whatsherface?
    Edit: i see now, interesting. Don't know her at all really.
    I'll find it strange if it's not a guy anymore but sure looking forward to seeing how this goes!definitely not got a problem with it

• Advertisement

Is the who point of been called The Doctor was to not distinguish a gender. As another post said the regeneration process is meant to be lottery you could have 2 heads, a tail, look like other species. So why not another gender. Those who chose to throw there toys out of the box and not watch because WAHHHHHHHHHHHHH the Doctor is a female should have a look at themselves. Now for someone who has a name like James Bond I be saying its a gimmick. Would still watch but be saying it was a gimmick

bluewolf wrote: »
    I was driving when the announcement was made - who is it? Olivia whatsherface?

Jodie Whittaker

Ben Gadot wrote: »

Thought that 2

Young men have had several decades of a good male role model that aren't suddenly erased by this announcement, y'know! And female characters can be role models for young men, too!

Captain Picard, Superman, Professor Xavier and Malcolm Reynolds are all dead now, killed by the 13th Doctor. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Death blow for Doctor Who.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Blah.
    Meh.

Wont be that interested in the next season.
    McLoughlin wrote: »
    Put up with allot of nonsense over past 10 years of Nu Who but kept watching out of habit but a female doctor feels too much of a desperate gimmick and is enough for me not to tune in.

+1 Yep, Game Over for me. There has been more than enough Right On BBC style ham fisted virtue signalling and gender politics in the last while, so this hardly comes as a shock.
    Why does the Doctor have to be male. The Master has been female for the last few seasons.
    Which was also a gimmick.
    Now for someone who has a name like James Bond I be saying its a gimmick. Would still watch but be saying it was a gimmick
    Jesus.
    A regenerating alien time lord who battles unfathomable enemies to save a multitude of civilisations on a regular basis is believable but it's her being a woman that's the gimmick to far for you? Riiiiight.
    Yep, because it's BBC politics playing fast and loose.
    I disagree. And look at the current crop of fantasy/sci fi shows. Even where the men are leads they're regularly seen as a bit silly and need a woman to steer them right.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    If she can be quirky and they don't play up her gender too much, she'll be grand.
    "they don't play up her gender too much"? The last series was all about that kind of nonsense.

So yeah...

headdesk.jpg?w=240

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I absolutely and utterly love missy. Michelle gomez is fantastic.
    Hey missy you so fine

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1 Yep, Game Over for me. There has been more than enough Right On BBC style ham fisted virtue signalling and gender politics in the last while, so this hardly comes as a shock.

Jesus.

I disagree. And look at the current crop of fantasy/sci fi shows. Even where the men are leads they're regularly seen as a bit silly and need a woman to steer them right.

"they don't play up her gender too much"? The last series was all about that kind of nonsense.

So yeah...

headdesk.jpg?w=240

May have been at the start but hey it worked and people like her character. Yes I think James Bond as a woman would be a gimmick but I would still watch to see if it was any good and make a decision to see if it would fit.

But your stance of oh its a woman so be crap has to be a man and not watching to find out is crazy

But hey your choice. Just do not det defensive when people point it out

ebbsy wrote: »

Without even watching it.

My attitude with any casting choice for a character I know would be to write a list of ten characteristics about them, and see how many the casted actor hits.

Admittedly, "The Doctor is a man" would be on that list, and Jodie doesn't hit it....but if she can hit the other 9, who cares if she misses what is, ultimately, one of the least significant ones.

• Advertisement

Why does the doctor have to be a man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Jesus.

So yeah...

headdesk.jpg?w=240

Ay right. People have different opinions to yours. Best to ridicule......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Jesus.

So yeah...

headdesk.jpg?w=240

Ay right. People have different opinions to yours. Best to ridicule......

The broflakes are out in force already it seems...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So yeah...

Pretty sure it was a man playing the Doctor in the last season

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Lord TSC wrote: »
    My attitude with any casting choice for a character I know would be to write a list of ten characteristics about them, and see how many the casted actor hits.

Admittedly, "The Doctor is a man" would be on that list, and Jodie doesn't hit it....but if she can hit the other 9, who cares if she misses what is, ultimately, one of the least significant ones.

Quite a sensible way to see it.

Unlike the previously mentioned James Bond whose maleness is so essential to the character that changing that one characteristic would invalidate her/him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ebbsy wrote: »

Oh come on. Don't like the choice if you want, but don't bow to hyperbole, just cos a fictional time travelling alien who changes faces, changes to a version you don't approve of.

Quite a sensible way to see it.

Unlike the previously mentioned James Bond whose maleness is so essential to the character that changing that one characteristic would invalidate her/him.

The only reason I would call the cast of James Bond a gimmick is because of the name James which is a males names and brings up the thought of a man. I also said I would watch the movie to see how the actress would fit in and it could work.

A female spy I be up for it I think it be a great concept. It was only because of the name James

The Doctor to me is gender neutral

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

At first the insane reaction from the small few twitter crazies to casting females in popular genre fiction infuriated me.

Now I just find it kind of absurdly funny, with a hint of pity.

Doctor Who will survive and continue to thrive.

Advertisement