Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ongoing Doctor Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

At first the insane reaction from the small few twitter crazies to casting females in popular genre fiction infuriated me.

Now I just find it kind of absurdly funny, with a hint of pity.

Some of the reactions I hope is sarcasm or wums, otherwise they are genuinely scarey

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Pretty sure it was a man playing the Doctor in the last season

Apparently it's not just a female Doctor some object to, it's women in general doing anything.

At first the insane reaction from the small few twitter crazies to casting females in popular genre fiction infuriated me.

Now I just find it kind of absurdly funny, with a hint of pity.

Doctor Who will survive and continue to thrive.

I think the show has been slowly dying for a while now, or struggling at least. I follow quite a few hardcore Doctor Who fans on twitter and they've all been almost grudge watching the last few series, not because of cast, but because of the writing and general running of the show. I think the fact that there's a whole new production team on board as well as a new Doctor and presumably companion, will inject new life into the show.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes I think James Bond as a woman would be a gimmick but I would still watch to see if it was any good and make a decision to see if it would fit.
    Jesus Part Deux.
    But your stance of oh its a woman so be crap has to be a man and not watching to find out is crazy
    She might be good, she might be crap, she'll never be Doctor Who in my eyes anyway. As I said it's an example of a) a gimmick to attempt to save an ailing show that's haemorrhaging viewer figures and b) the BBC playing the Oh look how progressive we are card.
    But hey your choice. Just do not det defensive when people point it out
    Point away.
    snowflaker wrote: »
    Why does the doctor have to be a man?
    Always has been a male character. One of the vanishingly few that didn't rely on his fists to be the hero. And yes I firmly believe boys/young men need such a character now more than ever. Just taking Doctor Who in the last few years there have been repeated little digs at being male along the way. You don't think kids miss that kinda thing? If the reverse was happening with young girls like it stupidly did in the past we'd be rightfully up in arms about it. But apparently it's OK when that's in reverse. Cool beans.
    Ay right. People have different opinions to yours. Best to ridicule......
    Where pray tell did I "ridicule"? Go ahead Ted, point it out. Though I'm apparently "crazy", "defensive" and latterly a "broflake".
    CastorTroy wrote:
    Pretty sure it was a man playing the Doctor in the last season
    Who was hoping the future was female. With a few other examples of "men a bit silly/women great". It's quite the theme of late.
    Apparently it's not just a female Doctor some object to, it's women in general doing anything.
    Wow that's a leap that would make an olympic long jumper proud. For me lest there is any confusion it's just a female Doctor Who.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

Dont know anything about her but she cant be any worse than Capaldi.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think the show has been slowly dying for a while now, or struggling at least. I follow quite a few hardcore Doctor Who fans on twitter and they've all been almost grudge watching the last few series, not because of cast, but because of the writing and general running of the show. I think the fact that there's a whole new production team on board as well as a new Doctor and presumably companion, will inject new life into the show.

Yeah i have to admit i haven't been as impressed with capaldis era even though i love the characters all individually

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Lol the dramatics of it all
    Never be the doctor
    Go way outta that

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

I'll give it a chance, but at the same time I've been losing interest in DW over the last 2 or 3 seasons and I can't see this move holding my interest past the first few episodes, but as I said I'll give it a chance.

Wibbs wrote: »

Wow that's a leap that would make an olympic long jumper proud. For me lest there is any confusion it's just a female Doctor Who.

Except the original comment you made was about them "playing up to gender" and that kind of "nonsense" so it seems you have an issue with something other than the new Doctor.

• Advertisement

Just because something has been "always that way" in the past, doesn't mean it cannot change in the future.

For Sci-fi "anything is possible"- except the doctor's gender changing when regenerated seems pretty petty

Except the original comment you made was about them "playing up to gender" and that kind of "nonsense" so it seems you have an issue with something other than the new Doctor.

He was make wild assumptions- you cannot

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Is it so wrong to think you can tell boys that women can be role models too? Or is it because they don't have the correct genitalia, they are automatically discarded as role models?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭ebbsy

They must be trying to kill it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Wibbs wrote: »
    Jesus Part Deux.

She might be good, she might be crap, she'll never be Doctor Who in my eyes anyway. As I said it's an example of a) a gimmick to attempt to save an ailing show that's haemorrhaging viewer figures and b) the BBC playing the Oh look how progressive we are card.

Point away.

Always has been a male character. One of the vanishingly few that didn't rely on his fists to be the hero. And yes I firmly believe boys/young men need such a character now more than ever. Just taking Doctor Who in the last few years there have been repeated little digs at being male along the way. You don't think kids miss that kinda thing? If the reverse was happening with young girls like it stupidly did in the past we'd be rightfully up in arms about it. But apparently it's OK when that's in reverse. Cool beans.

Where pray tell did I "ridicule"? Go ahead Ted, point it out. Though I'm apparently "crazy", "defensive" and latterly a "broflake".

Who was hoping the future was female. With a few other examples of "men a bit silly/women great". It's quite the theme of late.

Why Jesus part Deux.

Why is it a gimmick. Why cant it be the casting going maybe we could go for a woman this time as The Doctor. People like Missy so it could work. Could that not have happened. If BBC were doing something like this to save the figures of Doctor Who why would they take the risky decision of changing The Doctor to a female. People who have never seen Doctor Who will not now suddenly start watching because its a woman.

You been defensive well that GIF of futurama.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah i have to admit i haven't been as impressed with capaldis era even though i love the characters all individually

I was a fan of Jenna Coleman before she was on DW and only sort of got into DW through her. I wasn't overly keen on Matt Smith as the Doctor but when they announced Capaldi was coming on board I kept watching. I absolutely loved how Coleman/Capaldi bounced off each other, I thought they had brilliant chemistry as actors, but the overall story lines were very messy, it always felt like it didn't make any kind of sense and Mofatt didn't have a tight reign over what he was doing.

I'll give it a chance, but at the same time I've been losing interest in DW over the last 2 or 3 seasons and I can't see this move holding my interest past the first few episodes, but as I said I'll give it a chance.

Again I think the fact that there's been changes behind the scenes too could help with this. There's not just a new Doctor, it's almost like a reboot, if you like. Of course it could still be terrible, who knows, but I'm quite hopeful.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Is it so wrong to think you can tell boys that women can be role models too? Or is it because they don't have the correct genitalia, they are automatically discarded as role models?

Depends on how one views women themselves. How you view and treat others is ultimately a reflection of yourself

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I thought, and I might be wrong, that the Doctor being a weird alien who isnt interested in humans in a sexual way was all part of the comedy, from Matt Smith making childish comments about reproduction to David Tenants platonic love for Rose etc.

So the doctors gender makes no difference as he/she is fundamentally indifferent to humans sexually.

And the fact that hed been a woman before was well flagged IIRC.

The only interesting thing arising from the gender issue will be the companion interactions. There was some criticism from feminists that the doctor exemplified an old patriarchy stereotype of the older experienced man guiding the younger, sometimes hapless, female companion. Will the new doctor have a male or female companion? Will the dynamic change?

I think its far more interesting than Malcom Tucker playing a slightly tuned out elderly doctor.

The only interesting thing arising from the gender issue will be the companion interactions. There was some criticism from feminists that the doctor exemplified an old patriarchy stereotype of the older experienced man guiding the younger, sometimes hapless, female companion. Will the new doctor have a male or female companion? Will the dynamic change?

I wonder if Kris Marshall will be the new companion? His name was being thrown around an awful lot, you have to assume there was a reason for that.

I do wonder if that was Moffat and co. and if the BBC wanted to go with someone else do Moffat left?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,073 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Lord TSC wrote: »

If anything, the reaction of the loud few angry Internet men is proof of why young boys should probably be given a few more role models among the other 50% of the world's population.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

bluewolf wrote: »
    Lol the dramatics of it all
    Never be the doctor
    Go way outta that
    "Dramatics" now eh? From my reading it's others falling over themselves to be Right On about the whole thing.

So nope, merely a statement of my feelings on the matter. As for clawing back the drop in ratings? I suspect an initial curiosity followed by an even more parlous fall in the ratings. The Fonz has just strapped on his water skis.
    I have an issue with hamfisted gender politicking by the Beeb. End of.
    Lord TSC wrote:
    You can "tell them" all you like, but if they're getting a drip drip of "men a bit silly/women always great" you don't think that has an effect? Really? Cast your mind back when women in most media were very rarely heroes and mostly either damsels in distress or comic relief or morality themes dressed up all nice and would you have told young women "Is it so wrong to think you can tell girls that men can be role models too?". I doubt it and you'd be dead right.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

These broflakes are delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 60,265 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hot blonde woman used as a marketing device is how I see it going forward myself.

If anything, the reaction of the loud few angry Internet men is proof of why young boys should probably be given a few more role models among the other 50% of the world's population.
    OK then, name a few positive non violent leading male role models in their own series in current media, in TV or film. The list of women who fulfil that is a long one(add in the Buffy style tiny women who are physically invincible). Actually don't bother. Pointless.
    snowflaker wrote:
    Riveting response altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

snowflaker wrote: »

Do you actually watch the show?

Do you actually watch the show?

On occasion

(Waits for "you don't even go here" gif)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Dr Who has been 'dying' since Eccleston left in 2005. It has been at deaths door after every companion departure, regeneration, production team change, ratings dip, or whatever the hell people decided was the definitive time the show was on the way out. I swear there's no other show with such an ethusiastically pessimistic fandom. Do trekkies get off on declaring the show dead, but this time they mean it?

So here comes the latest: the actor swaps gender and suddenly this! THIS is the moment the show tanked because its audience of predominantly CHILDREN won't cope with their favourite show being led by a woman! All that merchandising and overseas success will shrivel because this bastion of male heroism has succumbed to that most deadly of threats to civilisation .... gender politics.

And hey, who knows maybe 10 seasons in, the show needs a rest, lord knows it has got a bit stale: but honstly it has got tedious reading and listening to every change being greeted with salacious determination that now was the time the show would die.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I wonder which would cause more uproar: changing race, gender or becoming American?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,073 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hot blonde woman

Or, you know, a talented, up-and-coming performer with a record of working with the show's lead creative?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

If they make it 'look I'm a woman now, go progress' it will ruin the show. Needs to be doctors a woman, time to stop Daleks. Otherwise they might as well add some breasts to the cyber men while there at it.

Advertisement