Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model S

• 27-03-2017 11:22pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm test driving one on 6th April.
    Any specific questions :)

No, I'm not buying, it's part of the SEAI Sustainable Ireland Convention in the RDS :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

kceire wrote: »
    I'm test driving one on 6th April.
    Any specific questions :)

No, I'm not buying, it's part of the SEAI Sustainable Ireland Convention in the RDS :(

damm model s schedule is full , limited to BMW , pah:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,709 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Eh yeah. Pick me up and let me drive too, it'll be my birthday present :p

P100D?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

BoatMad wrote: »
    damm model s schedule is full , limited to BMW , pah:rolleyes:
    They told me today that the Bmw slots are full and that I could drive a leaf if I wanted. I said no thanks. She came back with the tesla offer. Didn't even think it was going to be there. I booked my slot over a month ago, so they may be still showing as available on the site but in reality they are gone.
    unkel wrote: »
    Eh yeah. Pick me up and let me drive too, it'll be my birthday present :p

P100D?

Not sure what model yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

kceire wrote: »
    They told me today that the Bmw slots are full and that I could drive a leaf if I wanted. I said no thanks. She came back with the tesla offer. Didn't even think it was going to be there. I booked my slot over a month ago, so they may be still showing as available on the site but in reality they are gone.

Not sure what model yet.

some BMW slots available ,I have one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

When will the Dublin store open?

When/where will the superchargers be built?

Are there any plans for a store or service center in county Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Will they be importing CPOed Model S from the UK?

Haven't got an answer on that yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I seen one of these with GB plates driving through Sandyford just now. Didn't cop what it was until i seen the Model S on the back. Looks really nice in red.

I seen one of these with GB plates driving through Sandyford just now. Didn't cop what it was until i seen the Model S on the back. Looks really nice in red.

Probably one of the demo cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Saw one on UK plates charging in Navan FCP on chademo yesterday. A leaf pulled in (i was in a friends ICE, queuing ironically for the ICE pumps) and the tesla moved on straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Sat in one of Tesla's yesterday (Tesla S, dunno which model) in Teranure Vintage car show. Have to say was not impressed by pretty much anything in the car.
    I sat down in drivers seat and straight away noticed that my head is almost touching the roof. Could not confirm if it would because sun roof was open full swing. Seats didn't impress me neither. Interior... well.. that screen is a joke to me... :)

Now... sitting in Model X was different experience. Seat was very comfy, the windscreen is something I can only call EPIC. So much real estate to look around (if you not driving) :D I would image replacing it would be a b*** Liked Model X more than S from just glancing at it...

Model S was owned by some ol'fella who didn't really even clean it for the show :) He was just enthusiast who brought the car for people to see, feel and fair play to him. He had all possible converters for his charge :-) I was a little shocked when he said it would take him 30hours to charge from Granny cable :]]]] (Btw, he didnt know the name - Granny cable)

Mope wrote: »
    Sat in one of Tesla's yesterday (Tesla S, dunno which model) in Teranure Vintage car show. Have to say was not impressed by pretty much anything in the car.
    I sat down in drivers seat and straight away noticed that my head is almost touching the roof. Could not confirm if it would because sun roof was open full swing. Seats didn't impress me neither. Interior... well.. that screen is a joke to me... :)

Now... sitting in Model X was different experience. Seat was very comfy, the windscreen is something I can only call EPIC. So much real estate to look around (if you not driving) :D I would image replacing it would be a b*** Liked Model X more than S from just glancing at it...

Model S was owned by some ol'fella who didn't really even clean it for the show :) He was just enthusiast who brought the car for people to see, feel and fair play to him. He had all possible converters for his charge :-) I was a little shocked when he said it would take him 30hours to charge from Granny cable :]]]] (Btw, he didnt know the name - Granny cable)

Probably an older model. The new seats are a lot better than the old ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Mope wrote: »
    Btw, he didnt know the name - Granny cable

Well he's got an American car, so may be more used to "portable EVSE". Tesla themselves call it a "Mobile Connector".

Interesting to see the first CPO model s for sale below £40k.
    Now it's an early 2014 model which means no AP, summon, etc.
    But apart from that it's a fully specced model S85 with dual chargers and free supercharging, for under £40k.

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/used/5YJSB3H16EFP37679?redirect=no

That's undercutting the cheapest one available from a private seller. I wonder are Tesla pulling some sort of stunt here? They did that a while ago in the US with a lot of $30k Model S for sale. Obviously they all sold within minutes of going online.

That is significantly (read = £5k) cheaper than the next 2014 CPO which is a P85.
    I think (hope) that they do the same thing in the EU that they did in the US and reduce the prices of the older ones to the £30-35k mark. I think they are trying to take the pressure off the "waiting for model 3" market.

Suits me fine as I am planning for a CPO model s to be my next car, when we :eek: make the move to a 2 EV family. Herself gets the leaf as a runaround and I get my model S!

Ha, it was only last month they did that in the USA:

Linky

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I'm toying with the idea of a CPO Model S.

I drive a 151 2l Octavia. I do about 30k km a year. The wife drives a 07 Kia Ceed and does much less mileage.

My PCP is up next Feb and I'm tempted to trade down to a small engine Fabia and let the wife drive the new car whilst I drive her Kia Ceed into the ground for the next while. For however long that is, save up for the deposit on a CPO Tesla in the UK and cover the rest with a loan.

I want to move away from Diesel and ideally get an electric car, but if I can hold out I'd get a Tesla (Model 3 or S). Perhaps the next leaf or Ioniq will be options.

Will I have issues with the older car from an insurance point of view?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I got my invite for test drive, replied so just waiting for confirmation of day....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Soarer

CPO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

Soarer wrote: »
    CPO?

I assume certified pre-owned?

pawrick wrote: »
    I assume certified pre-owned?
    Yup. Certified preowned.
    Better than buying second hand from non-Tesla sources as there is a CPO all inclusive warranty of 4 years/50k miles in addition to the balance of the 8 year drivetrain warranty from new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I was looking at these CPO's last night (if only i had the funds). The website didn't say where the car was. I wonder do they bring it to you for a test drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭lfp

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I got my invite for test drive, replied so just waiting for confirmation of day....
    Got an invite also. I couldn't afford to buy half of a new model S. Would I be a bit silly booking an appointment with zero chance of a sale? Irish guilt is an awful thing...

TBi wrote: »
    I was looking at these CPO's last night (if only i had the funds). The website didn't say where the car was. I wonder do they bring it to you for a test drive?

I presume not, but with Tesla you'd never know!
    The ones I saw gave the locations. There was one in Heathrow for a convenient flyover!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

lfp wrote: »
    Got an invite also. I couldn't afford to buy half of a new model S. Would I be a bit silly booking an appointment with zero chance of a sale? Irish guilt is an awful thing...

There is never zero chance if the sales man is good :p

Potentially in next 12 months I told them I could buy.....lots can happen in 12 months,......Im bound to win the lotto ;)

Potentially in next 12 months I told them I could buy.....lots can happen in 12 months,......Im bound to win the lotto ;)

I answered the email aswell and said 12-18 months.
    Funny thing that Irish guilt, as that is my plan 12-18 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭lfp

lfp wrote: »

Thanks lads, the justification I needed! Just signed up.

Test drive booked too. See if they have any interesting proposal for me afterwards.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Interesting to see the first CPO model s for sale below £40k.
    Now it's an early 2014 model which means no AP, summon, etc.
    But apart from that it's a fully specced model S85 with dual chargers and free supercharging, for under £40k.

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/used/5YJSB3H16EFP37679?redirect=no

aaaand it's gone! :eek:
    That sold quickly.

The $30k US CPO models mostly sold within minutes! Jaysus that's €26k. Some car for the money :eek:

I'll start a little game here for the craic. How much will Tesla Ireland want from me in cash, trading in my Ioniq for the cheapest CPO Model S (on Irish plates) they can offer me when I test drive it in a few weeks time?

<=€15k
    €20k
    €25k
    €30k
    €35k
    €40k
    >=€45k?

Fun game but they don't have CPO tesla in Ireland yet!

They will soon. And they are able to source a car from the UK and sell it as CPO here. Tesla Ireland employee told me this himself. Now go on and play the game :p

They will soon. And they are able to source a car from the UK and sell it as CPO here. Tesla Ireland employee told me this himself. Now go on and play the game :p

Ah, that's not what they told me!
    So i'd assume they will give you blue book value for your Ioniq as they won't want to deal with the hassle. I'll assume also a value of €60k on the cheapest CPO S here, due to VRT. Allow €24k for your Ioniq to leave a margin on it for them, so I'd assume they will want approx 36k cash for a model S.

Q.E.D. :D

Imagine you could get the CPO on PCP !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Sabre Man wrote:
    New Model S and X will now perform even better 0-100

Those specs are way off.. the p100d model S does 0-100km/h(0-62mp/h) in around 2.7-2.9 seconds. The link specified 4.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Imagine you could get the CPO on PCP !!!

I'm guessing it could be an option soon. Plenty of dealerships are doing PCP on up to 3 year old cars

tedpan wrote: »
    Those specs are way off.. the p100d model S does 0-100km/h(0-62mp/h) in around 2.7-2.9 seconds. The link specified 4.2

It's not the "p" models, just the standard model S100/S70
    tedpan wrote: »
    I'm guessing it could be an option soon. Plenty of dealerships are doing PCP on up to 3 year old cars
    You can definitely get "Tesla Finance" on any CPO car so far. They may change this as the oldest model S reaches 4+ years.

The prices were recently reduced and until the end of the year you can get a €1000 discount + free supercharging by using a referral code. Feel free to PM me if anyone needs one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭useless

I test drove a Model X recently. Had never driven an electric car before. Interesting experience. First, it was an 8 week wait to get an appointment for a Saturday test drive... the sales guys were on a different planet altogether from other marques in terms of their product knowledge. Almost evangelical about Tesla. Refreshing but almost a little bit creepy...but maybe Im too used to dealing with sales guys who know SFA about their product. No hard sell whatsoever, just answers to all my questions and a torrent of information on the car, charging, pricing, etc. Very impressive.

Car itself was extraordinary- above and beyond my expectations. Feels like you sit somewhere between an MPV and SUV in terms of height. Huge windscreen makes it feel a little like a spaceship. Theres a load of 'theatre'- doors opening on approach, electric closing, seats and steering moving into position when it senses which key is being used (as well as a host of other driver profile features) etc. I'd seen the Model S at a motor show four years ago and was very unimpressed with the build quality- all i can say is they've gotten better at it. Not quite as good as a Q7 or XC90 in terms of fit and finish but not far off at all.

The control screen takes some getting used to- but interestingly so many items can be configured to the driver profile on the key that it actually negates the need to use it too often. One cool feature was where the car 'learns' the road, and if it spots, say, a speedbump, it raises the air suspension to allow the car to clear it safely. The really cool bit is where it geolocates that speedbump, remembers it for the next time you travel that road, then uploads it to Tesla where it is disseminated to all the other Teslas so they can react in the same way if they ever travel the same road.
    Auto cruise control in traffic was cool, if a little unnerving, i found it hard to 'trust' the car was going to brake! The fact that there's no 'coast' was also a strange sensation- once you come off the throttle, the car immediately feels like its braking, unlike an ICE automatic.

The acceleration was just immense (and this was the 'cooking' version; no Ludicrous mode) and delivered so silently and smoothly it was like nothing Id ever seen. I would lose my licence in a week...
    Only downside was the price, at roughly 120k for the smallest battery model (300km range) with a couple of extras, after all grants. It's a lot of money- but I would guess if you were a business owner looking at leasing a high spec X5 or Q7, this would be a far more interesting alternative for not a lot more outlay. Im definitely getting one if my lotto numbers come up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

useless wrote: »
    The fact that there's no 'coast' was also a strange sensation- once you come off the throttle, the car immediately feels like its braking, unlike an ICE automatic.

In most (all?) hybrids and EVs, they will normally apply mild regenerative braking when no throttle is applied. You can increase this in some by putting in B mode, and others you have more control over how much regen to apply. Not sure what the options in Teslas are regarding this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

INot sure what the options in Teslas are regarding this.

Tesla is fully configurable. you can turn it off if you want to.

Test drove the S90D today (no performance model, not the fastest, so no ludicrous mode), 0-100km/h in 4.4s which is pretty fast for a large saloon (a BMW M5 V10 5l is slower)

Grip was enormous with the 4WD, accelerating even while cornering was very impressive (forget about that in a FWD budget EV like a Leaf or Ioniq). Doesn't feel like a 2,300kg car. Tesla staff were just superb. Very knowledgeable yet relaxed & friendly. They also knew specific details about other EVs (like Ioniq) so they are clearly also enthusiasts. I got the impression that they can't wait to start selling more cars. CPO Model S maybe some time soon (they had about 10 second hand UK reg cars on the premises). And the Model 3 in a few years time of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Any more feedback about the car? Did you test drive it for one hour? Any other points you remember? :]

Sure. Some more of my thoughts, not just about having driven a near €100k value, 1 year old S90D, but also about contemplating buying a used Tesla, worth not much more than half that. Which is probably more interesting and realistic for most people in here :D

Very impressive car, effortless to drive, but I found the 4WD a bit clinical. That's me though, I didn't like the 4WD in an Audi TT either. I probably would prefer RWD only. Supremely comfortable car to travel long distances in with 5 people, even 5 full size adults. But it isn't necessarily that much of a drivers car, like say a powerful petrol BMW saloon. It did feel like I was driving the safest car in the world. Which it probably is. And the boot space (*2) is very impressive

The big touch screen is very impressive, and the controls are very cool, but you do get a sense that the Model S no longer represents the most up to date technology in some ways. Which is not surprising as the car is several years old. No wireless Qi charging (Model 3 has that as standard I believe, but so has a 2016MY €25k Ioniq). No Android Auto / Apply Carplay. And the Autopilot (which is not standard on the Model S - I'd say most cars within above budget don't have it) feels smooth but for now it is only a tiny step up from level 2 autonomous driving that come as standard again with a 2016MY Ioniq (it can overtake by itself and it can park itself). And this generation of Autopilot can never be software upgraded to full autonomous driving. The hardware isn't in the car.

Controlling the car by app when you are outside it brings a massive smile on your face, but I'd say that gets boring soon and doesn't have much practical application for most people. Visibility is great, so is the lovely optional sunroof.

Build quality, reliability and insurance would be my major worries comtemplating buying a Model S. I'd be confident enough though about the 4 year warranty that comes with CPO cars.

All in all I feel Teslas new are very good value for money. But as they depreciate less than any other car in the market, they represent not great value for money second hand. And where free supercharging for life is great for someone driving cross continent in Europe all the time, it has very little or no value in Ireland

Tesla offered a batch of CPO Model S in the USA for around the $30k-$40k range a month or two ago. If I lived there, I would have bought one. Here? For at least €50k? Not so much. Not now anyway. I'll sleep on it for a bit...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Sure. Some more of my thoughts, not just about having driven a near €100k value, 1 year old S90D, but also about contemplating buying a used Tesla, worth not much more than half that. Which is probably more interesting and realistic for most people in here :D

Very impressive car, effortless to drive, but I found the 4WD a bit clinical. That's me though, I didn't like the 4WD in an Audi TT either. I probably would prefer RWD only. Supremely comfortable car to travel long distances in with 5 people, even 5 full size adults. But it isn't necessarily that much of a drivers car, like say a powerful petrol BMW saloon. It did feel like I was driving the safest car in the world. Which it probably is. And the boot space (*2) is very impressive

The big touch screen is very impressive, and the controls are very cool, but you do get a sense that the Model S no longer represents the most up to date technology in some ways. Which is not surprising as the car is several years old. No wireless Qi charging (Model 3 has that as standard I believe, but so has a 2016MY €25k Ioniq). No Android Auto / Apply Carplay. And the Autopilot (which is not standard on the Model S - I'd say most cars within above budget don't have it) feels smooth but for now it is only a tiny step up from level 2 autonomous driving that come as standard again with a 2016MY Ioniq (it can overtake by itself and it can park itself). And this generation of Autopilot can never be software upgraded to full autonomous driving. The hardware isn't in the car.

Controlling the car by app when you are outside it brings a massive smile on your face, but I'd say that gets boring soon and doesn't have much practical application for most people. Visibility is great, so is the lovely optional sunroof.

Build quality, reliability and insurance would be my major worries comtemplating buying a Model S. I'd be confident enough though about the 4 year warranty that comes with CPO cars.

All in all I feel Teslas new are very good value for money. But as they depreciate less than any other car in the market, they represent not great value for money second hand. And where free supercharging for life is great for someone driving cross continent in Europe all the time, it has very little or no value in Ireland

Tesla offered a batch of CPO Model S in the USA for around the $30k-$40k range a month or two ago. If I lived there, I would have bought one. Here? For at least €50k? Not so much. Not now anyway. I'll sleep on it for a bit...

Great review Unkel! Next week I'm going on a roadtrip up to Donegal. A friend of a friend owns a P90D Model X and as I'm such a fanboy had no problem with me tagging along! I'll try give a review when I get back and how it handles on dodgy roads etc. Bloody thing costs the same as my house!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

I'd be in the market for a second hand S if they were available here with a warranty so I popped into the Sandyford showroom yesterday and asked were they planning to bring in 2nd hand cars from the UK and was told they had no intention to do so and that the only 2nd hand cars they would be selling would be irish reg'd cars that been taken in as trade in's. Salesman was pretty categorical about it....

M

They weren't as categorical to me as that, but they clearly stated they had no concrete short term plans. But why on earth would they have 10 UK reg Model S and Model X on the premises if they didn't intend to sell them?

424306.jpg

They weren't as categorical to me as that, but they clearly stated they had no concrete short term plans. But why on earth would they have 10 UK reg Model S and Model X on the premises if they didn't intend to sell them?

424306.jpg

Test drives, events (they were in Cork recently) and loaner cars when someone needs to leave their car with Tesla for service/repairs.

2 or 3 would be plenty for that

And on top of that it's illegal for Irish residents (Tesla staff, punters) to drive foreign reg cars. They should have at least one car on an Irish reg already.

• Advertisement
Advertisement