Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,773 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Happy days for Tesla owners! Ionity is coming, there will also be more superchargers opening in Ireland according to a recent Musk tweet. 105kW at CCS makes a massive difference to 43kW at the obsolete CHAdeMO chargers when you have a 100kWh battery...

50 minutes from empty to 90% versus well over 2 hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 agentblue

ELM327 wrote: »
    Also, first spot of the CCS adapter for existing teslas spotted in the wild, charging at 105kW at 36% SOC

Where was this seen?
    Also, anyone willing to make an educated guess on when we will actually see the adapter in Ireland.

I'm about to buy a Chademo adapter.... maybe I should wait.

agentblue wrote: »
    Where was this seen?
    Also, anyone willing to make an educated guess on when we will actually see the adapter in Ireland.

Wait! Could be your biggest ever waste of money if CCS adapter is really close

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Where was this seen?

Netherlands
    Cant find it online right now

• Registered Users Posts: 45 agentblue

unkel wrote: »
    Wait! Could be your biggest ever waste of money if CCS adapter is really close
    I can afford to wait for a couple months but after that I'll have to get something!

• Advertisement

I can afford to wait for a couple months but after that I'll have to get something!
    Theres a second hand one for sale on Donedeal.

To be honest there are still chademo only charging sites so it's not a waste of money either way. I'd probably have both adapters anyway myself, anything that gives more options (eg arrive and CCS is out of order but chademo is working)

Theres a second hand one for sale on Donedeal.

To be honest there are still chademo only charging sites so it's not a waste of money either way. I'd probably have both adapters anyway myself, anything that gives more options (eg arrive and CCS is out of order but chademo is working)

Still €400 second hand. A lot of money if you are rarely / never going to use it and it's untidy and takes up boot space. I would wait a few months to see what's developing. 150kW Ionity are upon us, there will be more superchargers too. Who wants to "invest" in the obsolete CHAdeMO system by buying an extremly expensive cable that still takes your Tesla hours to charge - a mere 43kW at best?

Still €400 second hand. A lot of money if you are rarely / never going to use it and it's untidy and takes up boot space. I would wait a few months to see what's developing. 150kW Ionity are upon us, there will be more superchargers too. Who wants to "invest" in the obsolete CHAdeMO system by buying an extremly expensive cable that still takes your Tesla hours to charge - a mere 43kW at best?
    In the frunk along with all the other cables.

Haven't you watched Bjorn's road trip videos :P

For a mere €400 I'd prefer to have the option of charging at 38-45kW as opposed to 11/16/22kW (Gross, so multiply by ~0.9 for actual) on AC.

There will never be ubiquitous SC coverage in Ireland. The population is too sparse outside the pale. We might get 8 sites in total but that's no good if you have a 100km e/w trip that doesnt cross a SC site.

The current network (and I use the term loosely) is not going anywhere soon.

It's not an either or, you can buy the CCS adapter when it comes out but there's no point in not having the options available. €400 is a night out in Dublin with a hotel stay (spot the culchie!) and I know I'd forgo one of those to get a chademo adapter if I had a tesla.

We might get 8 sites in total but that's no good if you have a 100km e/w trip that doesnt cross a SC site.

You still have your modest battery EV owner hat on :pac:

Teslas only need a few superchargers / fast chargers around the country in the several hundred motorway km range they have (provided they have home and / or destination charging of course)

€400 for a second hand CHAdeMO would be a total waste of money if they can buy a €600 CCS cable in the next few months

Don't forget the CHAdeMO Tesla cable will be pretty much obsolete (and worth only a fraction of €400 second hand) if indeed a CCS Tesla cable is imminent

You still have your modest battery EV owner hat on :pac:

Teslas only need a few superchargers / fast chargers around the country in the several hundred motorway km range they have (provided they have home and / or destination charging of course)

€400 for a second hand CHAdeMO would be a total waste of money if they can buy a €600 CCS cable in the next few months

Don't forget the CHAdeMO Tesla cable will be pretty much obsolete (and worth only a fraction of €400 second hand) if indeed a CCS Tesla cable is imminent
    Took me a while to change mindset from leaf to Ioniq but even in a 350-450km range tesla if you don't have destination charging you can only drive 175km each way before needing to charge at some point. That means Dublin to any other city/destination + return will need a charge.
    Dublin to belfast, dublin to cork and dublin to galway are covered by superchargers. But say you have to go to Donegal, or a hotel in Derry, or a holiday home in Leitrim/kerry etc and you will need to charge enroute.

Again, i accept it is not the best method but I would definitely pay €400 for one if I got a Tesla in the morning.

Point of reference: I spent €300 on a 15m type2 extension cable when I got the IOniq. I used it once in 35k km. But it was worth it as it saved me a stop on the way home.

Oh, and interesting point of note, it isn't a CCS cable, it's a CCS adapter. It's like the J1772 to Tesla US adapter in that it clicks in to the charge port and is not a cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Dublin to belfast, dublin to cork and dublin to galway are covered by superchargers.

Dublin to Limerick also covered, supercharger at Birdhill.

But say you have to go to Donegal, or a hotel in Derry, or a holiday home in Leitrim/kerry etc and you will need to charge enroute.

Presumably you're going to stay overnight at those destinations and you can destination charge, then you do not need to charge enroute

I grant you though that destination charging is not that easy if you are only going to stay one night. It won't be anywhere near enough to charge up say a 85kWh Tesla battery if using a granny cable. Tesla will install more superchargers in Ireland though and there will be Ionity (CCS only)
    I spent €300 on a 15m type2 extension cable when I got the IOniq. I used it once in 35k km.

I spent €240 on the same cable but I use it every day as it makes my home charger tethered and the head is only inches from the charge port of my car for maximum possible convenience. Still nearly cried handing that type of money over for a cable :p

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

Dublin to belfast, dublin to cork and dublin to galway are covered by superchargers.

Although promised, Dublin-Galway isn't covered by supercharger. Planning was granted last year for Applegreen Enfield Westbound, but no works to date appear to have happened...

B

I spent €240 on the same cable but I use it every day as it makes my home charger tethered and the head is only inches from the charge port of my car for maximum possible convenience. Still nearly cried handing that type of money over for a cable :p
    Mine is an extension cable, it plugs into an existing type 2 cable, and does not work as a standalone cable. Random, and I agree paying that amount for a cable is madness but that's where we are as early adapters. Same argument for the chademo cable too imo.
    Madness that they don't come as standard for free with the car actually, spending 70-100k on a car and they make you pay €450 for the chademo cable?!

BobbyBingo wrote: »
    Although promised, Dublin-Galway isn't covered by supercharger.

It's only 200km. EPA range of a 5 year old Tesla S85 is 426km. You should be able to make it there and back in the same day without charging or with a few hours on a slow (destination) charger in Galway if you want to drive a good bit faster than Leafspeed :p

Now we're at it - are all Model S able to charge at 11kW DC and some at 22kW DC (with a dual charger)? Pardon my ignorance on these. I should really know a lot more about them at this stage as I still haven't excluded owning one.

It's only 200km. EPA range of a 5 year old Tesla S85 is 426km. You should be able to make it there and back in the same day without charging or with a few hours on a slow (destination) charger in Galway if you want to drive a good bit faster than Leafspeed :p

Now we're at it - are all Model S able to charge at 11kW DC and some at 22kW DC (with a dual charger)? Pardon my ignorance on these. I should really know a lot more about them at this stage as I still haven't excluded owning one.

Prefacelift could charge at 11kW AC (presume you meant AC)
    Prefacelift with dual charger option could charge at 22kW AC

Post facelift could charge at 11kW AC unless you specified high power charger option which maxes out at 16.5kW

AC, indeed, in a bit of a hurry this morning :o

So all Teslas can charge at 11kW AC, that't good to know, thanks!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I paid €230 on a fibre HDMI cable so sometimes you have to pay for what you want, plus if someone owns a Tesla MS then respectively they have the disposable income for a €400 cable

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    I paid €230 on a fibre HDMI cable

Gold plated and all? I hope you didn't. A €1.50 HDMI cable from Dealz works just as well. Hint: the signal HDMI carries is digital
    slave1 wrote: »
    if someone owns a Tesla MS then respectively they have the disposable income for a €400 cable

You can turn that around. If someone is wealthy / successfull enough to own a Tesla Model S, they probably are not the type to be wasting money

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Gold plated and all? I hope you didn't. A €1.50 HDMI cable from Dealz works just as well. Hint: the signal HDMI carries is digital

I imagine it was a length limitation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Slaanesh wrote: »
    I imagine it was a length limitation.

Yep,10m run to carry 18.2 Gbps with 60Hz Subsampling 4:4:4, ain't no Dealz gonna carry that load

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

My 142 reg s85 would probably manage 360km in summer at modest speeds, the EPA figure is probably doable at 80 or 90km/h but not in winter.
    With a 22kwh onboard charger I can add 110km for every hour I am plugged into a slow charger, providing its a 22kwh charging post.
    With that in mind, Dublin to Galway return (450km) is not possible without stopping to charge. There is no Tesla supercharger on this
    route so unless I splash out €500 on a CHAdeMO adapter I will have to stop for at least 90 minutes in order to make it back to Dublin on empty.
    A supercharger station in Athlone or thereabouts would probably cut that stop down to 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

Clearly trying to differentiate the model 3 price range from the model S price range IMO.
    They want to position the S/X as the flagship

Yep, classic marketing.

Like Porsche in the mid to late 90s. Nearly going bankrupt, they launched the Boxster. Pretty much just a 911, same engine but made smaller and less powerful, and with a few cheaper parts like the gearbox "borrowed" from Audi and some cheaper suspension bits. Porsche priced and "placed" the Boxster significantly below the 911, but retained a fairly high margin. The Boxster was a huge success and saved Porsche from going under.

Tesla needs to rake in the cash from big volume sales of the high margin higher end Model 3 (long range, dual motor, lots of expensive options ticked) above anything else at this stage.

Clearly trying to differentiate the model 3 price range from the model S price range IMO.
    They want to position the S/X as the flagship

Suspect there’s two main reasons. Firstly they want to move away from using battery capacity for models like with the Model 3 and sell standard range / long range (Elon confirmed this in a subsequent tweet). This will allow them to reduce the number of cells used but maintain the range as efficiencies improve.

Secondly there’s a new supercharger coming, suspect the need to upgrade the cells in Model S and X to allow them to benefit from the new higher charging speeds. I assume they’re moving to the same type of cell that is used in Model 3.

Any idea what the VRT bill would be for a GBP40k late '16 S75 Autopilot?

Can't help myself, still very tempted by one :o

Any idea what the VRT bill would be for a GBP40k late '16 S75 Autopilot?

Can't help myself, still very tempted by one :o

If going late 2016 it’s worth trying to get AP2. I think they’ve stopped updating AP1 (or the future AP1 updates will lack some of the upgrades that AP2 cars get).

You’ll know if it’s AP2 if there are cameras in the B pillars.

No idea on the VRT but would suspect €6 - 7k. It’s 14% of whatever Revenue’s open market selling price is less €5k.

EDIT: might also be worth waiting to see what Model 3 AWD pricing will be. Suspect it won’t be far off what you’ll end up paying for the 2016 Model S. Seems to be some optimism developing that RHD may start arriving by May / June. First LHD European models are on a ship that left San Francisco today.

hatrack wrote: »
    If going late 2016 it’s worth trying to get AP2.

I might pay GBP40k, but I certainly will not pay >GBP55k :p

Was on the list for Model 3, but it's a saloon and we have a dog now, so that's out. Maybe once Model 3 hits the road in the UK, values of second hand Model S will be hit fairly hard?

Just realised that the 4 year unlimited warranty is limited to 50k miles. That's not great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I might pay GBP40k, but I certainly will not pay >GBP55k :p

Was on the list for Model 3, but it's a saloon and we have a dog now, so that's out. Maybe once Model 3 hits the road in the UK, values of second hand Model S will be hit fairly hard?

Just realised that the 4 year unlimited warranty is limited to 50k miles. That's not great.

I'm looking at getting a dog and a model 3 - curious as to why having a dog would be a dealbreaker, just size in the back?

Advertisement