Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,947 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Denisoftus wrote: »
    Fully self driving is absolutely useless, its not legal. Why even include it in the build tool?

It's not fully self driving. Is it even autonomous driving level 3 yet?

Level 4 is fully self driving, but with an alert driver still in the drivers seat (google autonomous cars e.g.). Level 5 is fully autonomous driving, no driver is even needed anymore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Followed a P100D this morning, beautiful car. 181-D-100! He still found it difficult to lose my leaf in the city centre :)

0-100km/h in 2s vs 0-100km/h in 10s

I somehow seem to think he wasn't really trying :p

unkel wrote:
    0-100km/h in 2s vs 0-100km/h in 10s

unkel wrote:
    I somehow seem to think he wasn't really trying

Haha, of course he wasn't and I know the specs. Just having a giggle!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,513 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Fully self driving is absolutely useless, its not legal. Why even include it in the build tool?
    Yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,320 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yet.
    Is it actual illegal? Is there an SI for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

unkel wrote: »
    What's the camera for then? Surely it must be for adaptive cruise control? Or just for autonomous braking?

There are 8 cameras on each Model S and X but you need to pay for EAP to take full advantage of them, otherwise you only get the benefit of the rear camera for reversing.

I'm not sure if autonomous emergency braking uses any of the three front cameras or just the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,513 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

ted1 wrote: »
    Is it actual illegal? Is there an SI for it?

There's no SI allowing a car to be driven on the road without a driver in full control and responsibility. (Hence why you can be done for drink driving if you fall asleep in a parked car with the keys in the ignition for instance - drunk in charge).

The owner would be prosecuted for not being in control of the vehicle.

Legislation to allow it is coming. Just not for a while - once the model 3 has the full capability built out I'd say it wont be long before the red tape catches up

Here's the P100D from the other day. Gorgeous car!

And he gave the tax payer €1000 subsidy back when buying that plate :)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    And he gave the tax payer €1000 subsidy back when buying that plate
    A very nice man Indeed! I wonder how much it cost him all in?

With metallic paint and full AP, just shy of €190k

includes well over €50k in taxes - VAT and VRT, so the tax payer is doing quite well here.

unkel wrote:
    includes well over €50k in taxes - VAT and VRT, so the tax payer is doing quite well here.

Think you mean the tax man, doubt we'll see much of that cash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Just saw a Model S which had rear ended another car at a junction (hope it wasn’t anyone on here). I genuinely thought it was impossible for this to happen, with the crash avoidance tech...

Is that a standard feature on all Model S though? I wouldn't have thought so.

In Ioniq (where it is a standard feature) it seems to work well. If I drive onto my driveway a little bit too enthusiastically (in the direction of the other car parked there), it beeps first and then slams on the brakes straight after :D

spyderski wrote: »
    Just saw a Model S which had rear ended another car at a junction (hope it wasn’t anyone on here). I genuinely thought it was impossible for this to happen, with the crash avoidance tech...

Model S has got automatic emergency braking, which will kick in when a crash can't be avoided. It's designed to minimize impact. Traffic aware cruise control will prevent issues like this one and can be used, but isn't designed for city driving.

Noticed all the door handles had popped out too, presumably for ease of access for emergency services...

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Model S has got automatic emergency braking, which will kick in when a crash can't be avoided. It's designed to minimize impact.

Seemed to have worked to an extent, damage seemed minimal. But even slight damage is expensive to repair these days.

Model S has got automatic emergency braking, which will kick in when a crash can't be avoided.

That's bizarre. Why didn't they design it specifically to avoid a crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

spyderski wrote: »
    Seemed to have worked to an extent, damage seemed minimal. But even slight damage is expensive to repair these days.

This is configurable option and can be set to Off/Normal/Earlier Warning. Depends what they had it set, could be avoidable. But again, its only a warning, the auto-braking will kick in always too late.

But one should be always in control of the vehicle and don't assume automatics will do the magic, when people put to much trust into electronics - disasters happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

How many Teslas are out there in Ireland at the moment. I argued with a colleague of mine who said there are 16 in total... I am 100% sure there are at least a double amount if not triple. I could not provide any sensible data so I left it at that.

Anyone knows the right figures atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

To avoid hit to the rear, I suppose, or false positives.

I guess it's very hard to always avoid a crash completely. I suppose it will prevent a crash in some/many/most circumstances but it isn't something I am willing to try. Although I did see some old YouTube videos from Tesla Bjørn trying to trick a Model S into doing just that.

Say you're driving your Ioniq very close to the car in front on a motorway and the car in front of you crashes into another car. Do you really think your car will stop?

peposhi wrote: »
    How many Teslas are out there in Ireland at the moment. I argued with a colleague of mine who said there are 16 in total... I am 100% sure there are at least a double amount if not triple. I could not provide any sensible data so I left it at that.

Anyone knows the right figures atm?

New registrations for February alone was 23 so your friend is clearly wrong. My guess is between 80 and 100, or at least it will be soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

New registrations for February alone was 23 so your friend is clearly wrong. My guess is between 80 and 100, or at least it will be soon enough.

Cool! Response already sent :) I knew the figures did not make sense ...

peposhi wrote: »
    Cool! Response already sent :) I knew the figures did not make sense ...

Your colleague is clearly clueless. I was at the Tesla dealership a week or 2 ago and there was the best part of 16 registered cars sitting on the forecourt. I’d agree numbers must be getting up towards 100 at this stage.

Say you're driving your Ioniq very close to the car in front on a motorway

My active cruise control (also a standard feature on Ioniq) won't let me drive very close to the car in front on a motorway :p

A Model S 75D drove through a wall in a parking garage in Oslo earlier today. The driver died.

https://ap.mnocdn.no/images/3f1487fa-dd94-46d2-a194-8d2c558a187c

Jesus. RIP.

One of those blocks must have gone through the windscreen, killing him :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,665 ✭✭✭✭josip

Then they wouldn't get you for the repair costs

Advertisement