Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics on TV

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

We were there this afternoon, great craic! Somehow the little fella slept through half of it in my lap...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Highlights from National Indoor Championships on RTE 2 tonight 20:30-21:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭4Ad

Athletics from Belgrade on BBC and the red button over the weekend, starting at 8 am (I think)

Laur Muir running at the moment..Hopefully a second gold...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Klishina in the long jump. My word. is it any wonder they allow her compete.

• Advertisement

Itziger wrote: »
    Klishina in the long jump. My word. is it any wonder they allow her compete.

Who wouldn't let her indeed, stunning...did they say 'Unattached ???

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

Athlone highlights will be on TG4 Friday March 24 at 7:30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Anyone know if the World X Country champs in Uganda on Sunday 26/3 are available to view anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Anyone know if the World X Country champs in Uganda on Sunday 26/3 are available to view anywhere?

Highlights on BBC2 Sunday between 4-5pm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Hopefully on this. Nothing confirmed yet http://www.watchathletics.com/schedule/cat/live-stream/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

JosDel wrote: »
    Highlights on BBC2 Sunday between 4-5pm

Also live coverage on BBC Red Button 12.00 - 15.45

wgtomblin wrote:
    Also live coverage on BBC Red Button 12.00 - 15.45

Downside of Virgin Media :(

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Anyone got a link to the Boston Marathon?

USA V The World live on NBC Sport now

Penn Relays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Pre Classic starting on eurosport in a few minutes. Absolutely insane fields tonight with some huge matchups accross the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

El Caballo wrote: »
    Pre Classic starting on eurosport in a few minutes. Absolutely insane fields tonight with some huge matchups accross the board.

Damn, I forgot. Was watching Barca...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Damn, I forgot. Was watching Barca...

Eurosport will reshow it

Highlights on BBC2 tomorrow between 1pm - 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Wade Van Niekirk tonight broke Michael Johnson's 300m world record in Ostrava. Incredible stuff. The rate he is improving over 200m, he would have given Bolt a close call in London had he (Bolt) had that race on his programme. Looking to do the 20/400m double also!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Wade Van Niekirk tonight broke Michael Johnson's 300m world record in Ostrava. Incredible stuff. The rate he is improving over 200m, he would have given Bolt a close call in London had he (Bolt) had that race on his programme. Looking to do the 20/400m double also!

I've no doubt Bolt is dodging Wayde Van Niekerk. There's a reasonable possibility he would lose to him. I'd still have Bolt as favourite given WVN would have already the 400 in his legs. Just a pity egos and the need to retire undefeated gets in the way of real athletics showdown.

Bolt won in 10.07 last night against a truly dreadful field. Seems like race organisers will not entertain the idea of him losing a race. Cherry picking 10.2 second runners for him. Reducing our sport to boxing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,717 ✭✭✭✭walshb

velo.2010 wrote: »

What a man. 100/200 and 400.....oh, and 300!

Doesn't even look fast....sub 10 for 100....holy god.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

he looks so comfortable, amazing to watch

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I've no doubt Bolt is dodging Wayde Van Niekerk. There's a reasonable possibility he would lose to him. I'd still have Bolt as favourite given WVN would have already the 400 in his legs. Just a pity egos and the need to retire undefeated gets in the way of real athletics showdown.

Bolt won in 10.07 last night against a truly dreadful field. Seems like race organisers will not entertain the idea of him losing a race. Cherry picking 10.2 second runners for him. Reducing our sport to boxing.

That really is some petty and ignorant digging at the sport's greatest athlete, a man who has brought so much joy and happiness to the general public for the past 8-9 years.

Unreal that you could, at this stage of the man's career, with all the brilliance and success, throw that sh1t at him and the sport.

You really have missed it. Bolt and what he has done and meant to the sporting world has truly been lost on you it seems. An you, a fellow sprinter!;)

You'd swear that racers avoiding each other was some new phenomenon.

walshb wrote: »
    That really is some petty and ignorant digging at the sport's greatest athlete, a man who has brought so much joy and happiness to the general public for the past 8-9 years.

Unreal that you could, at this stage of the man's career, with all the brilliance and success, throw that sh1t at him and the sport.

You really have missed it. Bolt and what he has done and meant to the sporting world has truly been lost on you it seems. An you, a fellow sprinter!;)

You'd swear that racers avoiding each other was some new phenomenon.

Thanks for the kind words. Well aware of what Bolt has done for the sport. Well aware of his incredible achievements. Well aware of how much he will be missed. I myself will miss him a lot.

However I'm talking about the here and now, not the past. He's decided to pass on the 200m, his favourite event, and an event he has never come remotely close to losing at majors championships. He's only 30. He could easily double up if he wanted to. We all know he doesn't want to risk defeat and ruin his legacy (it won't ruin anything but he is hung up on his legacy and is thinking like a boxer). The reality is there is a younger fella right now who is probably the most talented all round sprinter the world has ever seen, and Bolt is probably not willing to take the risk of losing in his final championship.

He'll want to improve a lot if he's to win in London over 100m. I'm sure he'll round into shape in time. He did it in far more unlikely circumstances in Beijing when Gatlin was running incredibly well all year. There's nobody running at that level this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

He's decided to pass on the 200m, his favourite event, and an event he has never come remotely close to losing at majors championships. He's only 30. The reality is there is a younger fella right now who is probably the most talented all round sprinter the world has ever seen, and Bolt is probably not willing to take the risk of losing in his final championship.

He'll want to improve a lot if he's to win in London over 100m. I'm sure he'll round into shape in time. He did it in far more unlikely circumstances in Beijing when Gatlin was running incredibly well all year. There's nobody running at that level this year.

In fairness, Bolt had signalled some time ago that only the 100m was on his agenda for London. Van Niekirk was also some way short of being a threat at 200m, this time last year.

I agree about the 100m. 9.80 will probably do it for him but it shows how relatively weak the field is this year.

I would love to see WVN do the double and go under 43 for the 400m. I just hope he doesn't burn himself out at too young an age and we don't get to see him compete at a high level for years to come.

Thanks for the kind words. Well aware of what Bolt has done for the sport. Well aware of his incredible achievements. Well aware of how much he will be missed. I myself will miss him a lot.

However I'm talking about the here and now, not the past. He's decided to pass on the 200m, his favourite event, and an event he has never come remotely close to losing at majors championships. He's only 30. He could easily double up if he wanted to. We all know he doesn't want to risk defeat and ruin his legacy (it won't ruin anything but he is hung up on his legacy and is thinking like a boxer). The reality is there is a younger fella right now who is probably the most talented all round sprinter the world has ever seen, and Bolt is probably not willing to take the risk of losing in his final championship.

No matter what spin you put on it comes across as whiney and harsh for the sake of it.

Who are you to tell a man who has consistently beaten everyone the past decade what races he should enter/run?

If he decides to just run the 100, so what? Be happy that you are actually getting to see such greatness compete again, instead of bitching about races he may not run.

If he leaves the 200, why is it that you want to beat him with this choice? Don't you think that at this stage he deserves to be somewhat selective, without armchair fans making out that he's chicken, and somehow doing the sport a disservice.

Quite surprised at you really. I know you are one to rant and rave a bit, but to throw digs here seems somewhat out of character. I can't see it being at all warranted.

And let us say that he does believe that he may lose at 200. I wouldn't at all slate him for bowing out. He's a born winner who has been winning from day 1. Not really clever that he would bow out on a loss at a distance that he has dominated.

Or maybe, just maybe he doesn't want to be too greedy here. Thinks that he should let someone else have a title for a change...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHo_K0-1bP4

On the subject of great sporting feuds....your respective posts reminded me of these two guys - worth a watch! nothing to do with athletics!

No matter what spin you put on it comes across as whiney and harsh for the sake of it.

Who are you to tell a man who has consistently beaten everyone the past decade what races he should enter/run?

If he decides to just run the 100, so what? Be happy that you are actually getting to see such greatness compete again, instead of bitching about races he may not run.

If he leaves the 200, why is it that you want to beat him with this choice? Don't you think that at this stage he deserves to be somewhat selective, without armchair fans making out that he's chicken, and somehow doing the sport a disservice.

Quite surprised at you really. I know you are one to rant and rave a bit, but to throw digs here seems somewhat out of character. I can't see it being at all warranted.

And let us say that he does believe that he may lose at 200. I wouldn't at all slate him for bowing out. He's a born winner who has been winning from day 1. Not really clever that he would bow out on a loss at a distance that he has dominated.

Or maybe, just maybe he doesn't want to be too greedy here. Thinks that he should let someone else have a title for a change...

Fantastic stuff. Because Bolt runs faster than me I'm not entitled to make any sort of critical opinion about him? Brilliant. If I had no life, I'd scan through your half a million boards posts and find numerous comments where you criticised people who could swing a racket better than you, box better than you ever did, play golf better, and so on and so forth.

Get a grip.

And I'm hardly "slating" him. I wish he wouldn't retire is the truth.

Chivito, quit the moaning. You were pulled on your ridiculous "attack" on the sport and on Bolt's character based off him supposedly dodging another man, according to you.

A decade of truly epic service brushed aside in your original post!

And stop exaggerating. I've only circa 30 thousand posts...

• Advertisement

Chivito, quit the moaning. You were pulled on your ridiculous "attack" on the sport and on Bolt's character based off him supposedly dodging another man, according to you.

A decade of truly epic service brushed aside in your original post!

And stop exaggerating. I've only circa 30 thousand posts...

Well my so called attack on the sport was towards meet organisers for carefully designing weak fields to allow Bolt win despite being in poor race shape right now. They couldn't have him lose given they had fireworks and the Jamaican national anthem set up for after the race. That to me is a demonstration, rather than genuine competitive sport.

Advertisement