Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics on TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

MrSkinny wrote: »
    Great Edinburgh International XCountry
    Saturday, 7 January
    Live coverage: 13:15-15:15 on BBC One

The BBC coverage includes the 4x1k mixed relay and the two senior races:
    http://www.greatrun.org/great-winter-run/great-edinburgh-xcountry

Seems like a good line-up (McCormack, Muir, Farah, ...):
    http://www.european-athletics.org/competitions/european-cross-country-championships/
    http://www.britishathletics.org.uk/media/news/2016-news-page/december-2016/13-12-16-great-edinburgh-xcountry-team/

Irish relay team: John Travers (Donore Harriers), Ciara Mageean (UCD), Kieran Kelly (Raheny Shamrock) and Kerry O’Flaherty (Newcastle).

Full elite start lists:
    http://grimages.blob.core.windows.net/blobgrimages1/documents/2017-01-03-Great_Edinburgh_Cross_Country_Start_List_2017.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Wow! Amazing run by Fionnuala for 2nd in Edinburgh, beating Akdag. Absolutely delighted for her. Great to see her competing with the Kenyans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Very gutsy run from Fionnuala. Thought she was going to struggle when the two 'Turkish' girls went away early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Unlucky for Hawkins, great run

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Wow! Amazing run by Fionnuala for 2nd in Edinburgh, beating Akdag. Absolutely delighted for her. Great to see her competing with the Kenyans.

It was very exciting!

And brilliant running by Callum H, was so sorry to see him lose first place.

Btw, Mick Clohisey was a surprise addition to the Europe team, he managed to pick off a few runners over the last lap or so. Nice for him to be invited to the team I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

She's an absolute star, great to see her having a few good results since a disappointing (according to her) Europeans.
    I thought the mixed relay race made for good TV, very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭4Ad

Fionnula was brilliant, such heart.
    I dont know anything about tactics etc when it comes to running, but I love looking at Laura Muir running, she just takes off like a lunatic and glides along, never looks tired. She wasn't even winded in her post race interview...

4Ad wrote: »
    Fionnula was brilliant, such heart.
    I dont know anything about tactics etc when it comes to running, but I love looking at Laura Muir running, she just takes off like a lunatic and glides along, never looks tired. She wasn't even winded in her post race interview...

Last person I remember like that and who also performed 'incredibly' was a famous cancer-surviving, 7-time TdF winner from the land of Texas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Itziger wrote: »
    Last person I remember like that and who also performed 'incredibly' was a famous cancer-surviving, 7-time TdF winner from the land of Texas.

Rudisha did it in the 800m olympic final in 2012 and was fresh in the interview afterwards.

If Laura had ran to her strengths she would of gotten an Olympic medal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

What makes you think she is doping?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭The Bin Man

Outrageous. Some old duffer sitting in the middle of Europe, hiding behind a computer and posting that about a young woman. You should be ashamed of yourself, 'man'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Is the Dubai marathon on TV anywhere? I guess there will be a live stream up on the website, but just wondering if any traditional channels are screening it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Laura Muir may well be doped up to the gills but being winded or not after a race is an utterly ridiculous basis to decide whether someone is doping or not.

Btw, I agree that she's great to watch - there's some really great British middle distance talent out there, particularly amongst the junior women. Also looking forward to seeing what Konstanze Klosterhalfen does in the next couple of years, although she's probably more endurance oriented. She ran 4:07 for 1500m, 8:46 for 3000m and 32 mins for 10k at 19 last year!

adrian522 wrote: »
    Is the Dubai marathon on TV anywhere? I guess there will be a live stream up on the website, but just wondering if any traditional channels are screening it?

Nah, just streams.

Sacksian wrote: »
    Laura Muir may well be doped up to the gills but being winded or not after a race is an utterly ridiculous basis to decide whether someone is doping or not.

Btw, I agree that she's great to watch - there's some really great British middle distance talent out there, particularly amongst the junior women. Also looking forward to seeing what Konstanze Klosterhalfen does in the next couple of years, although she's probably more endurance oriented. She ran 4:07 for 1500m, 8:46 for 3000m and 32 mins for 10k at 19 last year!

Agreed, she looked unbelievable at Euro cross and definitely has the potential to be a world threat down the road.

As for Muir, I rather not point the finger on those things, I know absolutely nothing about her training or her to make that call. I know a lot of people point to her progression and ability to race hard often as suspicious but we had someone with an even more impressive progression between the ages of 19-23 and who also raced hard often, she actually set 5 national records in 11 days once and her name is Sonia O Sullivan. Not pointing the finger at her at all either, just saying. Looking at performances without knowing anything else is a pointless endeavor in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

You must not watch very much sport if Lance is the last person you remember to not be winded post race. Quite often, an athlete's best races feel the easiest. They are relaxed, not tensing up, and feel like they could do it all over again. How many athletes do you see running around on a lap of honour post victory? Curious reasoning behind your doping insinuations.

May as well educate you about Laura Muir while I'm at it.

In 2013 aged just 20, she was still an 800 runner and ran 2:00.80 (pretty much what Ciara Mageean has run). She made the semi finals of the World Championships that year.

In 2014, aged 21, she moved towards the 1500m and recorded a top class 4:00.07. To do this aged 21 in her first season as a 1500m runner indicates serious talent.

In 2015, aged 22, she ran 3:58.66, which is faster than Sonia ever ran, and at a younger age. Again, signs of serious potential. She finished 5th at the World Championships.

In 2016, still just 23, she ran 3:55.22. A big step up of course, but her age profile and progression in the previous 3 years made it fairly obvious that she had real talent and she was still very much on the upward curve. She's still younger than when Sonia hit her middle distance peak (25).

What we are looking at here is somebody of the talent levels of Sonia O'Sullivan, a once in a lifetime type of athlete, which Scotland may not see again. Yes she has gone 3.5 seconds quicker than Sonia, but we are 22 years on from Sonia. Of course the best now should be running faster than the best back then. It's called natural progression.

All that said, unless Muir can find a way to win Championship races, she'll never be in the same league as Sonia, despite her obvious talent. Her 7th place in Rio did not surprise me one bit. She's a bit too one paced a runner. Great in the Diamond League, but yet to prove herself in Championships.

Why do you think she is doping? Is it because she is British beating most of the best Africans? How is that any different to being Irish beating the best Africans?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    You must not watch very much sport if Lance is the last person you remember to not be winded post race. Quite often, an athlete's best races feel the easiest. They are relaxed, not tensing up, and feel like they could do it all over again. How many athletes do you see running around on a lap of honour post victory? Curious reasoning behind your doping insinuations.

May as well educate you about Laura Muir while I'm at it.

In 2013 aged just 20, she was still an 800 runner and ran 2:00.80 (pretty much what Ciara Mageean has run). She made the semi finals of the World Championships that year.

In 2014, aged 21, she moved towards the 1500m and recorded a top class 4:00.07. To do this aged 21 in her first season as a 1500m runner indicates serious talent.

In 2015, aged 22, she ran 3:58.66, which is faster than Sonia ever ran, and at a younger age. Again, signs of serious potential. She finished 5th at the World Championships.

In 2016, still just 23, she ran 3:55.22. A big step up of course, but her age profile and progression in the previous 3 years made it fairly obvious that she had real talent and she was still very much on the upward curve. She's still younger than when Sonia hit her middle distance peak (25).

What we are looking at here is somebody of the talent levels of Sonia O'Sullivan, a once in a lifetime type of athlete, which Scotland may not see again. Yes she has gone 3.5 seconds quicker than Sonia, but we are 22 years on from Sonia. Of course the best now should be running faster than the best back then. It's called natural progression.

All that said, unless Muir can find a way to win Championship races, she'll never be in the same league as Sonia, despite her obvious talent. Her 7th place in Rio did not surprise me one bit. She's a bit too one paced a runner. Great in the Diamond League, but yet to prove herself in Championships.

Why do you think she is doping? Is it because she is British beating most of the best Africans? How is that any different to being Irish beating the best Africans?

They were talking about her moving up to the 5,000m next. What you make of that?
    I think she is a great talent and agree about the pace part. Also her coach said she only runs 40 - 50 mpw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

They were talking about her moving up to the 5,000m next. What you make of that?
    I think she is a great talent and agree about the pace part. Also her coach said she only runs 40 - 50 mpw.

She runs the amount of mileage she needs to run to be the best she can be at her specific event. She's a 1500m runner, not a marathon runner.

Jeez, didn't realise people would take it that badly. Let's see if I can explain myself/apologise.

1) I didn't see her run or interview on Saturday.

2) I don't necessarily think she is doping. I have no idea. I haven't studied her progression.

3) If you read what I posted, I said that the 'not breathing heavily after a win' thing reminded me of Lance A. I was responding only to the last bit of the previous post and that is why I highlighted that bit only in my response.

At this stage I don't really give a toss. I've seen way too many cases and have read, like most on here, of many others that makes you wonder what %age of elites are not doping.

I understand that it comes across as insinuating that this particular athlete is on the juice and I didn't actually intend that. Hence the 'apologise' in the first line above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Who was it that said the hardest race is not the ones you win but the ones you don't because when you win you have still got a something left, if you finish 2nd you should be killing yourself.

I realise this isn't on TV but I don't want to be spamming the forum with a million threads everyday so just thought I'd post it here. Conseslus Kipruto, the Olympic Steeplechase champion is running in the Antrim International XC on Saturday.

I can't find an entry list anywhere but presume there will be a few more world class athletes in action along with some of our best as well if anyone is interested.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    She runs the amount of mileage she needs to run to be the best she can be at her specific event. She's a 1500m runner, not a marathon runner.

True but she runs less mileage than most her competitors according to her coach.

On last Wednesday she shattered Liz McColgan’s UK indoor 5,000m record by 14 seconds before running the cross country.

From her coach

"
    Muir’s coach, Andy Young, meanwhile, believes that more is to come, given that she only runs between 40 to 50 miles a week, around 10-20 fewer than most of her 1500m rivals. “The mix of fast- and slow-twitch fibres that she has gives her the ability to sprint and also run a marathon,” he says.

“I’ve never seen someone with that sort of capability. Many years ago I used to train with Paula Radcliffe when I was at Loughborough and she obviously had a huge engine but she didn’t have a turn of speed. If you look at Kelly Holmes she had that huge turn of speed but she didn’t have that engine – but Laura has both."

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

El Caballo wrote: »
    I realise this isn't on TV but I don't want to be spamming the forum with a million threads everyday so just thought I'd post it here. Conseslus Kipruto, the Olympic Steeplechase champion is running in the Antrim International XC on Saturday.

I can't find an entry list anywhere but presume there will be a few more world class athletes in action along with some of our best as well if anyone is interested.

Aren't there highlights on Setanta every year?

Dindane wrote: »

There has been, yeah. Don't know about this year but there's no live coverage anywhere either on tv or streams that I can find yet.

Fionnuala is running too for anyone interested.

Dindane wrote: »

But who has setanta these days

El Caballo wrote: »
    There has been, yeah. Don't know about this year but there's no live coverage anywhere either on tv or streams that I can find yet.

Fionnuala is running too for anyone interested.

There hasn't been live TV coverage since 2000 when it was on at Stormont and was covered on BBC Grandstand. The "old" Setanta have had highlights since 2012.

eirsport have highlights next Thursday at 8pm.

Can't find any repeats for the moment, but there probably will be some.

Antrim Cross-Country repeated on eirsport 2....

Sat 28 Jan - 9:30pm
    Tues 31 Jan - 5:00pm
    Wed 1 Feb - 9:00am and 11:55pm
    Thur 2 Feb - 7:00am

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Nitro Athletics , Melbourne. 3 separate dates. Highlights on BBC.

Sun Feb 5, 14.45 BBC2
    Sat Feb 11, 13.15 BBC1
    Sun Feb 12, 13.00 BBC2

Teams include Australia, England, New Zealand, China, Japan and Usain Bolt All-Stars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭4Ad

Indoor Athlectics from Birmingham on BBC tomorrow 13.15. Mo Farrah running and my favourite little hero Laura Muir..

Advertisement